User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:30   #1
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
broadband (again)

im going to need to set up broadband at my new house, anyone any reccomendations?

at the old house we are with nildram, but i really dont want to have to pay a £60 set up fee *again* unless i have to, so anyone any ideas?
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:37   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: broadband (again)

Would you have to pay the set up fee again? As you're already with them, can you not just give them your new number and address and they do it for free?

I don't know much about it, but I'd have thought they'd rather keep existing customers, than make you pay the set-up fee again.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:43   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

well, im moving out from a house im sharing with friends and in with my fiancee, so the old connection will still be active, so im fairly sure that i will have to pay the setup fee
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:47   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd still go with Nildram. Most of the ones which reduce the inital costs have other problems, most notably a download cap.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:50   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I like NTL seeing as they are cheap, have never given me any problems on 4 different connections, dont have a particularly bad customer service in my experience and are pretty stable.

300k - £18
700k - £25
1.5mb - £38

At the moment you get the first 3 months at half price. When i last joined up i got 2 months free on any speed i wanted but that offer seems to have ended. Installation is free. Also, i think those speeds are all being upgraded within the next 2 months or so - 300k to 1mb, 700k to 2mb and 1.5mb to 3mb iirc. I've never had any problems with any supposed download limit either.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:51   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

blueyonder if you can get it is brilliant tbh.

and cheap.

and keeps entering into price wars with its competitors.
hurray for capitalism.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:51   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I've never had any problems with any supposed download limit either.
From what I know, that depends on the individual area. Some areas don't care, other ones crash down on people who go over.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 15:55   #8
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I've lived in 3 different areas of Nottingham and my home in Blackburn. I've gone way over the limit in all of these places. I have lots of friends who use NTL, all of whom download as much if not more than me, none of them have had any problems.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:03   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i have no capping.....

Blueyonder prices are as follows :

4mb : £50 pm
2mb : £35 pm
1mb : £25 pm
256kb : £17.99 pm

meaningi ts also considerably cheaper than NTL

and its better in everything AHAHA
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:07   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I thought that NTL and Blueyonder had mutually exclusive availabilities. This may have changed, though.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:11   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

i cant get cable
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:19   #12
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
1mb : £25 pm
256kb : £17.99 pm

meaningi ts also considerably cheaper than NTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
300k - £18
700k - £25
Not much in those really and considering 300k is going to become 1mb and 700k is going to become 2mb for the exact same price NTL isnt that bad a deal until Blueyonder upgrade or go cheaper.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:38   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

what do people think of pipex?
its definately looking the best option that i have found so far
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:43   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:50   #15
roadrunner_0
cynic

cheers
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 16:55   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Although I know you said you can't get cable, I'll just point this out for others in the thread:
Sometime feb/march time NTL are changing their speeds as follows:
300k -> 1Mb
700k -> 2Mb
1Mb -> 3Mb.
Price per month will stay the same. New customers will get these speeds out of the box, existing customers will need to phone up and pay a £25 upgrade fee which is a bit of a ripoff but I'll still be doing it, as 1Mb for £18/month is fine by me.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 17:02   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: broadband (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
im going to need to set up broadband at my new house, anyone any reccomendations?
It's usually a god bet that wiring and electrical equipment will come into play in these kinds of circumstances. Don't attempt to actually force your body into the phone lines in an attempt to 'connect' as this may cause injury and possible embarasment.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 19:35   #18
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
what do people think of pipex?
its definately looking the best option that i have found so far
I use pipex and imho its brilliant. I have a 1mb line and i always get speeds of 120-122 and an upload of 32. I have no idea what the customer service is like as i have never rung it. The connection has also never dropped (that i know of!). Also there is no cap which is very important
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 19:59   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

www.cpbb.co.uk

no usage cap, no port filtering, static ip. £19 a month inc vat.

they don't do a news server and only give one e-mail address. biggest drawback, imo, is that they give you a german ip (parent company is german) - however i've not noticed this to actually be a problem.
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 20:00   #20
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

With the new speeds NTL will be putting in a cap, and the cap WILL be enforced (in some way)
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2005, 23:16   #21
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

JC - im with NTL, ive had no problems with mine either (middlesbrough)
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 00:52   #22
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Just as an aside wrt your old nildram account, if you transfer it then you only get a 14.99 installation charge rather than the full fee, cause thats what we did (and my account had been kinda suspended for 4 months with them not getting any payments - due to their **** up - as we didnt have a house to have a connection to). Assuming that you get the same treatment as us.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 04:00   #23
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
nice to know when people are happy

What do you think of the re-designed help site?
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 04:14   #24
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

the boro signups server was down for ages at the start of this university year *grumbles* other than that, not seen any troubles.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 14:15   #25
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
Same for Cardiff, in nearly 2 years I haven't had a single problem.

Quote:
What do you think of the re-designed help site?
Never used it.
Unread 9 Jan 2005, 15:57   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I had Pipex for a year Roadrunner - didn't have a single problem with them.

As for the Cable companies, as Mark said they are not really in competition with each other (at least, not fr end use customers). I work for Telewest tech support in an evening job and they don't care about how much individual users download. It's difficult for them to even monitor, but the only time they care is when there is high utilisation in a particular area. Generally they deal with that via load balancing though.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 19:04   #27
roadrunner_0
cynic

again, cheers all! major help