User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Mar 2005, 21:47   #1
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Friends, I'm going to be perfectly upfront with you.

Ok. This will essentially be pointed, and I'd appreciate honest advice here, as this is truely the last place I wanted to come with this kind of query.

My qualifications are:
MCSE - Windows 2000 / Windows NT 4.0 (NT 4.0 Now Obsolete)
MCP - Exchange 2003
Epson L1 Certified Engineer (Wide Format Printers)
Software Engineering HND (Merit)
Linux System Administrators Course
GNVQ Advanced IT

None of them are in any particular order.

I earn £13,000 per year working as support for a company. I go to clients sites, I resolve issues; being sales related or technical related. I get dumped in the crap time after time again, and resolve these issues whilst keeping in mind our sales and relations as well as the clients satisfaction with the service. I deal with everyone from end users to higher management / directors - and I'm talking BIG companies.

My skills include:

Windows whatever - If it's Microsoft and desktop based, I know it pretty much like the back of my hand.

Linux - I can fix it, I might not be able to tell you everything I know, but if the machine isn't working, it will be by the time I leave site.

Servers - Active Directory, Exchange, ISA Server - these I know. Problem with one of them? I'll sort it out.

Apple Mac - OS 9, OS X, Hardware related? No problem - if it's not hardware, I'll fix it in front of them - if it is hardware, I'll tell them what is causing the problem.

I know Quark XPress, Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Acrobat, MS Office and most other everyday programs in the print industry like the back of my hand.

Mediabank? Fullpress?
Digital Asset Management? OPI? Ok, bring it to me.

Epson Large Format Printers, the backend of the pre-press industry. Ok, no problem. We can supply you the parts and I'll fix it for you.

****s sake, I'm 21 year old.

We have two other people working in the service department. We'll call them Dave and Dennis.

Dave knows Apple Macintosh operating systems and hardware very well, but no better than me. He earns approximately £18,000 per year. He's 29 years old. More experience, but can't do half the things I can.

Dennis knows Mac OSX very well, and a little about Windows server systems. He earns £18,000 per year. He's 36 years old. More experienced, but can't do half the things I can.

Please, forgive me if you think I'm being arrogant or 'big headed' here, but is it wrong for me to expect some kind of payrise?

I've got people surrounding me who know less than half what I do, and people who therefore do less than half what I do, and they earn £5,000 more than I do?

I'm not expecting to be catapulted up to £25,000 per year, I know I'm only 21 and I accept that I do still have a great deal to learn, but when I already know and have learnt more than both of these peope, I ask you GD, is this a lot to ask?

Serious answers please, this is actually something I feel quite strongly about.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 21:50   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Friends, I'm going to be perfectly upfront with you.

when i saw 13k i thought WHAT THE BLOOD BOLLOCKS IVE SEEN JOBS WITH THAT SKILLSET ADVERTISED AT 20+

I got paid 12k for doing support/web dev with zero experience, and that was 4k underpaid frankly.

which sums up my response as much as you should need really.

if you'd like some job websites to assist, let me know.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 21:52   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

I've got all the job websites, I'm just reluctant to leave as opposed to attempting to get more money because this is the first place I've worked where I've actually been happy.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 21:55   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

ok, so find a boss type person and talk to them

you've got lots of justification for being on more money, and the IT market is finally growing again, so the demand for your skills is just going to keep on going up.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:00   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm 22, and earn... let's see... 1750*12/1.44 = £14500 and bits a year. I'm a software developer BTW... "bachelor of information technology" is the title. I have no idea what education that would compare to in the UK.
It could be me, but 13000 doesn't seem too bad. But that could be because most of what you put down there looks like science fiction to me (WTF can you do if you're an Epson Certified Engineer?!).
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:01   #6
skiddy
wild one

The idea is to talk to a boss type person, I just need to know that I'm not being silly with my expectations.

As the boards are fairly well populated by either students looking to get into the industry, or people already in the industry, I want to make sure that I'm not being silly here.

Thanks Enby.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:04   #7
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
WTF can you do if you're an Epson Certified Engineer?!
The pre-press industry relies on large format, good quality printers to produce it's proof work for clients.

I work in that industry, all our clients rely on Epson wide format printers (44" etc) to produce these proofs, thus it's integral to our client base that people are available to fix these issues.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:09   #8
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

To put this into perspective for SI - a full time waitress in my restaurant earns nearly 12k. That's based on 40 - 45 hours per week for an 'unskilled' worker with no qualifications. Now look at skiddys skills and qualifications and tell me he shouldn't be earning more.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:09   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
The idea is to talk to a boss type person, I just need to know that I'm not being silly with my expectations.

As the boards are fairly well populated by either students looking to get into the industry, or people already in the industry, I want to make sure that I'm not being silly here.

Thanks Enby.
np

your certainly not being silly, take a look at what MCSE/MCP/printer fixing type jobs are paying, regardless of years experience on a few of those sites.

I mean shit, my housemates get 18k for coding php have been working less than a year, and they're demanding payrises.

If i recall, the best attitude is to be firm about it, you believe you deserve a payrise because you are a lot more qualified these days, and you are very good at your job, etc, and then give them a week (at most) to get back to you with an answer.

Of course, the last time i asked for a pay raise I got fired a month later, but i'm reasonably certain those were un-related :P
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:10   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Friends, I'm going to be perfectly upfront with you.

I have no clue regarding wages or finances, so I can't help you.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:13   #11
skiddy
wild one

Yeah, thanks enby. I should add to this, because of what you have just said about your PHP coding friends, that I have five years experience in the industry, as I've been doing this since I was sixteen, whilst getting those qualifications in my 'down time'.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:15   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
The pre-press industry relies on large format, good quality printers to produce it's proof work for clients.

I work in that industry, all our clients rely on Epson wide format printers (44" etc) to produce these proofs, thus it's integral to our client base that people are available to fix these issues.
Like Double-U Tee Ef

Seriously, I graduated at Océ, at the wide-format printer department where they were developing a new wide-format printer, and I learned there that a printer is not just simply a silly machine that spouts some random ink on a piece of paper.
So what can you do?
Can you take the whole thing apart and put it back together again (hard and software wise) so that it automagically works again?
Can you diagnose problems with and replace nozzles and carriages?
Can you calibrate the colour output of the printer?
Can you refill the roll of paper and put in a new ink cartridge?
Or are you there to push the buttons while you have the Epson helpdesk on the phone?

See, there are a whole lot of servicing levels. It's OK to wave around with all those papers, but what can you do?

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
To put this into perspective for SI - a full time waitress in my restaurant earns nearly 12k. That's based on 40 - 45 hours per week for an 'unskilled' worker with no qualifications. Now look at skiddys skills and qualifications and tell me he shouldn't be earning more.
OK, perspective helps... thanks. In such a case, Skiddy should earn more.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:16   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no computer related qualifications at all and I work as an Information Analyst (I basically work with SQL all day long) and earn £23k-ish. I'm 24.

It might be region specific (obviously costs of living are higher in London) but your wage is a joke. Even when I did basic helpdesk work when I finished Uni I earned more than that. There were people working in a call-centre at 19/20 years old earning £16k for doing basic Win9x support.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 31 Mar 2005 at 22:28.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:24   #14
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

WOAH

ok. you are in SEVERE need of a pay rise.

Talk to your current place, see if they will consider it, but if not you'll probably have to look for something new, which sucks, but i don't think you'll have too much trouble.

I get a reasonably amount of attention from job agencies with less than a years experience, and i know theres a shortage of experienced folks (as a good number have gone freelance rather than stay in perm jobs). And theres a growing shortage, according to computer weekly, particulary of experienced people.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:35   #15
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Ok. This will essentially be pointed, and I'd appreciate honest advice here, as this is truely the last place I wanted to come with this kind of query.

My qualifications are:
MCP - Exchange 2003
GNVQ Advanced IT

I earn £13,000 per year working as support for a company. I go to clients sites, I resolve issues; being sales related or technical related. I get dumped in the crap time after time again, and resolve these issues whilst keeping in mind our sales and relations as well as the clients satisfaction with the service. I deal with everyone from end users to higher management / directors - and I'm talking BIG companies.

My skills include:

Windows whatever - If it's Microsoft and desktop based, I know it pretty much like the back of my hand.

Linux - I can fix it, I might not be able to tell you everything I know, but if the machine isn't working, it will be by the time I leave site.

Servers - Active Directory, Exchange, ISA Server - these I know. Problem with one of them? I'll sort it out.

Apple Mac - OS 9, OS X, Hardware related? No problem - if it's not hardware, I'll fix it in front of them - if it is hardware, I'll tell them what is causing the problem.

I know Quark XPress, Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Acrobat, MS Office and most other everyday programs in the print industry like the back of my hand.

Mediabank? Fullpress?

Epson Large Format Printers, the backend of the pre-press industry. Ok, no problem. We can supply you the parts and I'll fix it for you.
I have similar skills and when I lived in London I earned around £29,000 before tax.

Move there

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:41   #16
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
I have similar skills and when I lived in London I earned around £29,000 before tax.

Move there

~Vaio~
you dont even have to vaio, i've seen mcse and mcp jobs for 35k in leeds, with 3 years exp.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:41   #17
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would say get a better job, as with those kind of skills you should be doing far better for yourself. £13k is derogatory considering what you know.

Take up Vaio's suggestion if you can get £29k as for a 21yo that's ace (and probably bloody difficult), you might have to live in London but you might like it there.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 22:53   #18
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Obviously I've got little to no knowledge here, but I doubt you will get a salary increase to something that it looks like you should be earning if you stay where you are. It's a shame because you say you like your job, but I imagine you are going to have to move if you want a real salary.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 23:11   #19
skiddy
wild one

Thanks for the advice guys / sarina. I think I'm going to go to the management tomorrow and speak to them.

I think I'm worth more to them, I just hope they do too! I understand of course that jobs in London pay more than they do in Newcastle, that in essence comes with the territory, I accept that, I just think I'm worth a little more than I am now, considering I could get a job working security in the Metrocentre and get paid more than I do now.

Oh, and Structural - yeah, I can take an Epson printer - 7000/7500/9000/9500/7600/9600/10000/10600 to pieces and put it together again - coupled with telling you what the problem is and replacing the parts. I'll colour calibrate it as well if you want.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 23:37   #20
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
you dont even have to vaio, i've seen mcse and mcp jobs for 35k in leeds, with 3 years exp.
They got computers in Leeds now ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:12   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Tell them that I sent you.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:12   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

yeah but theyre 5 years old :P

perfect for skiddy.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:33   #23
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

If someone offered me 13k for a full time job I would laugh in their face. I would think they were out to mock me, and I would be tempted to beat em up.
I live in Norway, but still.

13k for a job that requires skill is just WRONG. Whats that breaking down per hour?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:38   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
and I would be tempted to beat em up.
I smell Bolshevism.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:43   #25
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
13k for a job that requires skill is just WRONG. Whats that breaking down per hour?
Roughly £6.50.

And Skiddy, of course, if you're telling the full side of the sotry, you should be on more without a shadow of a doubt, but you seem to be forgetting your age, which (wrongly obviously) employees will hold agianst you*

*Not hold against you in a good way**
** As in physically***
*** Obvioulsy not the good way if they're not female and attractive.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:49   #26
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i thought skiddy was in the army and thus attractive

13k? honestly?

how much is that after tax? can't you just work for me?
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:50   #27
Marilyn Manson
Gone

He's not in the army all the time you know.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:50   #28
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

About 11k?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:55   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

for 11k spread out over a whole year i could buy skiddy??

bargain
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:56   #30
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To be honest in my summer job which was full time which was sitting in front of a computer all day answering pa forums, playing pa and watching the cricket, i earnt more than you did. I think 13k is a laugh, the saying my father always told me was, you pay peanuts you get peanuts, perhaps a move to leeds, manchester, birmingham or london should and could be on the cards. You are also at an age where most are graduatiing from degrees, so maybe look at graduate entry jobs which can range from £15k upwards but have good career prospocts.

If you do like your boss then speak to him, not in a cocky or arrogant way, perhaps tell him that you have received information about other jobs which are higher paid, but you enjoy working under him etc im sure you can come to some sort of arrangement, all elso fails look for other jobs
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 00:58   #31
Yahwe
I am.

we pay 16 year old clerks 12k with no GCSEs, they just tie our papers in ribbons and carry stuff

I am very interested in this 'buying skiddy' idea
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:00   #32
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They pay me £20k to make sure people in Nigeria dont steal our money.

I mean, seriously, when they phone up with a black african accent and claim to be "Brian Dibley from Somerset" , or write letters id be embaressed to draw on an Etch a Sketch, how the **** do they EVER expect to get money out of us?

I smiled the other day. Fraud in the UK is now averaging £780M a year. Keeps me in a job as long as there are stupid people in the world.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:02   #33
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

I make £8320 per year. But here it's good money as £ 1 = R$ 5. And yet I deserve a raise. Not graduated, java programer.

But from what I saw on your case. Talk to your boss, show him the stuff. The keyword here is talk, don't get overhyped, angry or anything else. Show them you're mature enough to be on the higher ranks.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:05   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I am very interested in this 'buying skiddy' idea
He's for display purposes only, I'm afraid.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:08   #35
Yahwe
I am.

that's not what he said on the phone
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:11   #36
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Lies.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 01:19   #37
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I smell Bolshevism.
My father went into the local round of the yearly salary negotiatings claiming roughly 50.000 NOK, or 4000 pounds. LOCALLY, that means there were central negotiations where they also got payrises.
(and these lads wasnt earning below 20k £ a year, and thats without formal skills for alot of them)

I think he "only" got half of it, but hey

So blame my trade unionist/communist family

Come on skiddy, dont claim less than a rise of 3k I say
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 02:34   #38
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

My qualifications are:
MCP - Exchange 2003
GNVQ Advanced IT

My skills include:

Mediabank? Fullpress?

****s sake, I'm 21 year old.

We have two other people working in the service department. We'll call them Dave and Dennis.

Dave knows Apple Macintosh operating systems and hardware very well, but no better than me. He earns approximately £18,000 per year. He's 29 years old. More experience, but can't do half the things I can.

Dennis knows Mac OSX very well, and a little about Windows server systems. He earns £18,000 per year. He's 36 years old. More experienced, but can't do half the things I can.

Please, forgive me if you think I'm being arrogant or 'big headed' here, but is it wrong for me to expect some kind of payrise?

I've got people surrounding me who know less than half what I do, and people who therefore do less than half what I do, and they earn £5,000 more than I do?

I'm not expecting to be catapulted up to £25,000 per year, I know I'm only 21 and I accept that I do still have a great deal to learn, but when I already know and have learnt more than both of these peope, I ask you GD, is this a lot to ask?

Serious answers please, this is actually something I feel quite strongly about.
One thing I am certain of is that your job has no future (obvious with Dennis and Dave being that old and not making that much money). The first thing you should do is get a job that will allow you to go to college. And in the IT feild, all of the money is in Informations Systems management. Thats my major.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:22   #39
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I should ask for a payrise too...
Bugger salaries here in the Netherlands.
It's crap knowing I could double my wage in the UK
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 07:51   #40
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

howabout advertising for freelance work? there are an awful lot of people who need tech support but quite frankly can'T afford a company to do it for them. TBH you are seriously underpaid there, so you need to get yourself in a position where you can leave that job behind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4387525.stm

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 08:04   #41
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

just make sure that you give them a reason for giving you a payrise, look at your job description and see if you go beyond that, point out everything over the job description you do, and then you can ask i would like to discuss a pay rise because i believe i do x amount of work that i'm not being funded for. Man it puts me into context though, i'm 22 and on £25k and thinking about asking for a rise soon. :S
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 08:41   #42
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is there any way of making your qualifications more formal?

Being able to say "I can pretty much fix anything software related", but perhaps getting that in some form of certificate would be a good way of bolstering a demand for a pay rise (or looking for a new job).

£13k is probably region specific, but that's awful. My friends do data inputting and earn around £16k here in Jersey (higher cost of living though etc I suppose).
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 09:42   #43
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

I earn more than that for being a call centre monkey. OK I'm in the South, but still. I was only on a little less for being a call centre monkey in the North when I was up there.

You need a serious pay rise.

Also try http://content.monster.co.uk/salarychecker/
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 09:43   #44
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was making £11,000 pa doing goddamn in-bound call-centre, and that assumes I didn't work any longer than eight hours a day (when really it was frequently 12). (This was in Liverpool, btw).

The ****? Find a new job.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:02   #45
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I should ask for a payrise too...
Bugger salaries here in the Netherlands.
It's crap knowing I could double my wage in the UK
maybe you are comparing gross and net here? 1700 a month really doesnt sound much. i can (or could have, im trying pretty hard to ruin my life atm ) get 2300 a month for more or less just some php-coding and thats not even much. most people at my uni got more than 30,000 a year.
(after taxes you probably still have more than people here though)
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:10   #46
cheekybru
Synaptidian

cheekybru is an unknown quantity at this point

I earn 3 times Skiddys salary (Roughly) and im only 19

Thats true, its also grosely unfair

<vampy> Cheek is 1337
<Zeus> Cheek is 1337 <-- maybe?
<idimmu> Cheek is 1337
cheekybru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:25   #47
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
maybe you are comparing gross and net here? 1700 a month really doesnt sound much. i can (or could have, im trying pretty hard to ruin my life atm ) get 2300 a month for more or less just some php-coding and thats not even much. most people at my uni got more than 30,000 a year.
(after taxes you probably still have more than people here though)
My 1750 Euros a month is gross wage... I have about 1300 left after tax.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:28   #48
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

heh, so would i. social security and taxes rock
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 14:32   #49
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

£13000? Pardon my French, but they're taking the ****ing piss!

I earn a little over £17k (and about to go up) doing Helldesk (ok, so I don't log calls and punt them to desktop support/systems, I fix them but that's beside the point). You can earn a lot more with your skillset, don't expect a fortune but a 40-50% increase isn't out of the question.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 15:04   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no job and many pointless skills than sound great when you write them down on a CV.