User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 16:22   #1
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
overclocking Gforce4 Ti4200

I have totally no idea what to do for overclocking a videocard but I was simply wondering how to do it and if it's worth it and how risky it is regarding to causing damage to hardware.

Is it just a softwarematic thing or do I need to stuff around with the card itself?
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 16:25   #2
Ðiscorporation

ASUS supplies software for this \o/
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 16:26   #3
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

This sounds like the kind of thing I might be googling later.

On the other hand, my gfx card is about as fast as they come already....

Hmm.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 17:05   #4
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask someone who knows about bios stuff
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 17:36   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
To overclock a GFX card you don't need to fiddle the BIOS.

D/L Rivatuner (goggle it)

that will OC your card and also you can fiddle OpenGL/DX options aswell.

When you start OCing, do it slowly about 3-5Mhz at a time, then run something like 3Dmark a few times and see if it is stable and no white dots appear.

PS what make Ti4200 have you got?

I got the Leadtek 64MB version, it goes upto 325Mhz on the Core and 685Mhz on the RAM with extra front and back fans though.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 17:55   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
powerdesk will enable you to overclock any graphics card.

What you need is a corruption checker, not 3dmark.

google for it.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:21   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
I've got an Nvidia one, 64 MB

I was about to buy a 128 mb one but the bloke in the store adviced me to get the 64 one because 128 mb would be overkill on my p3 800 so I hardly would notice a difference.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:36   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Actually, 128MB would help with games that deal with very large textures so it wouldn't have to keep going to the ram.

I know it is an Nvidia one, all Ti4200 have Nvidia chips, what make, Leadtek, Asus, Gainward, MSI, Chaintech etc....?
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 18:44   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke

I was about to buy a 128 mb one but the bloke in the store adviced me to get the 64 one because 128 mb would be overkill on my p3 800 so I hardly would notice a difference.
All GeForce cards are nVidia technology wise.
nVidia do not make the cards however, they just lisence thier tech to other companies. Look on the box for the card or on the card itself to find out who made it.

Incidentally, RivaTuner rocks muchly - it allowed me to enable SBA and Fastwrites, and nicely fixes that GODDAMN XP 60Hz 'BUG'!

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 19:54   #10
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke

heh i got a gf4 ti4600 128 with a k6-2 500
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:26   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Swap you for my GF3 Ti200 64Mb?

Puh-leeeeeease?

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:31   #12
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
All GeForce cards are nVidia technology wise.
nVidia do not make the cards however, they just lisence thier tech to other companies. Look on the box for the card or on the card itself to find out who made it.

Incidentally, RivaTuner rocks muchly - it allowed me to enable SBA and Fastwrites, and nicely fixes that GODDAMN XP 60Hz 'BUG'!

you can actually fix that bug from the Nvidia GFX Control Panel
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:18   #13
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

hm, the box just say Nvidia Gforce4 ti4200

with some 'Airborn' name somewhere in a corner.

can't be arsed to look at the card itself as its installed.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 12:25   #14
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Actually, 128MB would help with games that deal with very large textures so it wouldn't have to keep going to the ram.
The ultimate pace of a graphics card is very dependent on the speed of its video memory, and I'm sure I heard once that the 128MB TI4200's RAM is slower than the 64MB version. Ergo, you actually have a quicker card :O)
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 12:38   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
The ultimate pace of a graphics card is very dependent on the speed of its video memory, and I'm sure I heard once that the 128MB TI4200's RAM is slower than the 64MB version. Ergo, you actually have a quicker card :O)
Maybe, or maybe try explaining games that use large textures, e.g. Jedi Knight II, Commanche or the upcoming Doom III, perform better with the 128MB card than the 64MB card.

It also depends what Ti4200 (64/128mb) card you get, they have varying clock speeds.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 16:53   #16
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got an MSI 64mb GF4 T4200 because the memory is quicker on this model than on the 128mb version, because it was £115, and because it's supposed to be fantastic to overclock.

I can alter the clock speed of mine actually within desktop properties, but I don't think I'd notice the difference even if I whack all the details up on something like Hitman 2.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 17:01   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
For £115 you can get a radeon 9500 PRO, which is faster than any current nvidia bollocks.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 17:06   #18
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
For £115 you can get a radeon 9500 PRO, which is faster than any current nvidia bollocks.
!?!?!?

Where MT?

I thought only the Radeon 9500 non-pro cost that much, and the R9500pro's cost like £180....
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 17:20   #19
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
This was October