User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 04:47   #1
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
sound familiar?

A brief piece of history I pulled up from a website.

By this point, Darius understood that the situation was out of his control. As Alexander moved down the Phoenican coast, he managed to conquer the city of Tyre, which was absolutely central to Persian naval operations. Darius knew that he could never recover Asia Minor, Phoenicia, or Palestine, so he sent an offer to halt hostilities. If Alexander would cease, Darius would cede to him all of the Persian Empire west of the Euphrates River; Mesopotamia, Persia (modern day Iran), and the northern territories would remain Persian.

Alexander would have none of this. In 331 BC, he crossed the Euphrates river into Mesopotamia. Darius met him near the ancient Assyrian city of Nineveh, the city that had been destroyed by the Chaldeans only three centuries earlier. This was the last battle between Darius and Alexander; the Macedonian king again put the numerically superior Persian army to flight, and Darius ran also. In January of 330 BC, Alexander entered Babylon: he had conquered Mesopotamia and now controlled its greatest and wealthiest city.

The Persians had amassed vast wealth from the tribute paid by the various states under them. Alexander, who had started with no money at all, was now in control of the fattest treasury that had ever existed.

Darius, meanwhile, met his death at the hands of a conspiracy. The Persian nobles no longer felt that he could effectively lead them and, under the leadership of his brother Bessus, the nobles killed Darius and left his body for Alexander to find. Alexander, however, pushed on, found Bessus, and killed him and as many Persian nobles as he could. The Persian Empire had officially come to a close.

Having conquered what was then the known world, Alexander had pushed his army to the very limits of civilization as he knew it. But he wanted more; he saw that the world extended further and partly out of curiosity, and partly out of a desire to conquer the enitre world within the boundaries of the river Ocean (the Greeks believed that a great river, called Ocean, encircled all the land of the world), Alexander and his army pushed east, through Scythia (northern Iran), and all the way to Pakistan and India. He had conquered Bactria at the foot of the western Himalayas, gained a huge Bactrian army, and married a Bactrian princess, Roxane. But when he tried to push on past Pakistan, his army grew tired, and he abandoned the eastward conquest in 327 BC.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 05:15   #2
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
so, uh, what's your point?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 05:21   #3
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
so, uh, what's your point?
a lot of people are saying that the war is justified because history teaches us that dictators will try and conquer, so my point is that history can also teach us that people like to try and conquer iraq and then keep going.

#phnx
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:07   #4
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
One ever so tiny little flaw,

GW is not a Dictator, yes I know he is arguably the biggest cnut that ever walked this earth, but he was elected (Sort of).
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:19   #5
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses
One ever so tiny little flaw,

GW is not a Dictator, yes I know he is arguably the biggest cnut that ever walked this earth, but he was elected (Sort of).
i never said he was a dictator, i said that a lot of people use previous dictators as historical proof that sadaam is bad. So now i have given historical proof can be also used to show George wants to conquer the world.

#phnx
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:30   #6
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Nofutcha
i never said he was a dictator, i said that a lot of people use previous dictators as historical proof that sadaam is bad. So now i have given historical proof can be also used to show George wants to conquer the world.
it isn't proof because it is flawed.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:31   #7
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
If memory serves me still I seem to remember that Alexander died a few years afterwards. If this parallel continues to this day that would mean no second term for the idiot in the white house. Hurray.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:35   #8
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
it isn't proof because it is flawed.
agh geez, do i have to break it down to the basics?

a) of course its not proof, neither is it proof when people give examples of previous dictators and say that Sadaam is just like hitler etc.

b) no it doesnt, alexander didnt use banned weapons, plus george is coming from more than one way, but some of the ways he is going, and is talking about going to next, is very similair to Alexander

c) its a tongue in cheek analogy, not meant to be taken seriously

#phnx
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 08:40   #9
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Nofutcha

c) its a tongue in cheek analogy, not meant to be taken seriously
sorry, I can never be sure on these boards; one person's tongue in cheek comment is another persons ill informed rant.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote