User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:43   #1
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
production cancelation

I suggest 2 changes:

1. instead of a single 'confirm' tick box, we have a tickbox in front of each ship type ordered, to be able to cancel only part of the order.

2. the possibility to add negative numbers to an existing order to substract ships (and either lower the prod time or get some cash back).
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 14:59   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: production cancelation

Why?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 15:40   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I think negative ships would be confusing for people, and possibly lead to complaints, but the idea of being able to cancel specific part of an order isn't a bad idea.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 15:51   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree that some more flexibility is needed, especially to undo additions that were added to orders this tick. However, neither of these ideas will contribute to this flexibility. The problem lies with the current formula. An example:

I order 100k Beetle. This (assuming neutral race, government and population) costs me 34.5m res and 203892 PU. So far, so good. Now I change my mind (or "change my mind") and subtract 5 batches of 10k Beetle. An order of 10k Beetle costs 3.45m res and 55922 PU. Logically, that'd mean an order of minus 10k Beetle would costs -55922 PU.

203892 + 5 * -55922 = -75718 PU

-75718 PU for 50k Beetle? Oops!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 02:58   #5
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

would be neat to be able to do that though (the proper way) mz. be able to modify additions made on the current tick w/o having to mess up everything you had in there before.
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 03:05   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, it would. I'm not sure how much coding that'd be though, and if it'd be worth it.

As for the ideas in this thread, basically they'd require either a linear formula, or one based on total cost of the order, rather than the cost of the combination of the original order plus all individual additions.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 18:20   #7
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

NO. We don't need to do such a thing and why would we want to?

What is the purpose? Is it to allow players to cancel orders they just placed? are we not allowed to build multiple factories precisely to achieve this? Or would you rather make it all work as if it were a single factory?

Or is purpose to have more "flexibility"? But what more flexibility you want? The fact is that we got the choice to (1) stock-pile resources (2) have multiple factories (3) order and manage our production as we please, including cancelling orders, small or big, placed 5 days ago or last tick, AND to get back resources accordingly.

If people want to avoid the risk of being stuck with unnecessary ships, or if they are in a hurry and need resources back, then they simply need more factories. As of now, players can place orders on different factories and when they need to cancel a fraction of their current ships on production, they simply shut one, or two, or whatever # of the factories.

Why mess up something that is not broken?

Last edited by Aedolaws; 9 Sep 2007 at 18:26.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 18:49   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Because even though something is not broken doesn't mean it can't be improved. Because several people in this thread have pointed out they like the idea, as well as others long before the thread was even in existance. Because you can choose not to use it and not be negatively affected at all. And simply because it's a good idea.

That's why.
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 20:08   #9
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Because even though something is not broken doesn't mean it can't be improved.
That's why.
I agree. But, it should not be "improved" if the "improving" creates potential problems and added complexity while failing to substatially improve performance.

Quote:
Because several people in this thread have pointed out they like the idea, as well as others long before the thread was even in existance.
Yeh, I am sure people also like sex.

Quote:
Because you can choose not to use it and not be negatively affected at all.
I disagree. The proposed idea indirectly gives an advantage to those people who like to hide their ships. As it is, this feature is already being over-exploited. To give people yet another incentive to hide ships would not be in the best interest of game dynamics.

Quote:
And simply because it's a good idea.
No hay peor ciego que el que no quiere ver.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:00   #10
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

as a minimum, i'd like to have the Fi/Co - Fr/De - CR/BS productions not placed on the same order even if ordered at the same time.
Would make sense to be able to cancel FR/DE without cancelling the rest, as it is not built in the same factories...
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:14   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Your entire post is utter rubbish, except for this slightly less rubbish bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedolaws
I disagree. The proposed idea indirectly gives an advantage to those people who like to hide their ships. As it is, this feature is already being over-exploited. To give people yet another incentive to hide ships would not be in the best interest of game dynamics.
How so? Didn't you say earlier you can do the exact same thing by using multiple orders?

Additionally, I would like to direct your attention to this quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz
As for the ideas in this thread, basically they'd require either a linear formula, or one based on total cost of the order, rather than the cost of the combination of the original order plus all individual additions.
Doubtlessly you'll notice this will get rid of all percieved issues with hiding ships in the production queue, thereby rendering your earlier post moot. Nice effort though.

P.S. I agree with Makhil, I've never really understood why that was ever possible in the first place. Getting rid of cross-factory orders potentially saves a lot of trouble. Think 1 large finished fr/de order on many medium factories and 1 small unfinished order on few light factories. Even though a linear formula partly fixes this, I'd still like to see it implemented. Just to close up the last few holes.