User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 May 2003, 00:23   #1
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
What did the Romans ever do for us?

No, seriously they arrived in England in the first century stayed 400 years (or there abouts).

but what did they ever do for us?
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:24   #2
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of
It meant Adam Hart-Davis could get a program on tv.

which is nice for him.
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:26   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Built lots of roads, introduced culture, learning, technology and art, and built a big wall to keep out the Scots?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:27   #4
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
They introduced butt sex on a grand scale to the isles.

Not that anything I typ actually ever could be considered to be a whole or partial truth. It would offer an explanation though.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:27   #5
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
If I remember correctly they gave you the oppertunity you'd been waiting for to build that very long wall across your country.

Matrim
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:31   #6
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
built a big wall to keep out the Scots?
The Scots were not a problem, it was the Picts and the Celts that were maruading all over the north of England.

Oh and them roads are crap, they are not even wide enough for two 40 foot, 38 tonne, 16 wheelers to pass each other.

You would think a race of people so far advanced could at least build roads wide enough to overtake on?
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:33   #7
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
They gace us Gladiator.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:34   #8
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Romans, like modern day Italians, were quite skillfull when it comes to designing affordable, city carts.
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:37   #9
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
The Scots were not a problem, it was the Picts and the Celts that were maruading all over the north of England.

Oh and them roads are crap, they are not even wide enough for two 40 foot, 38 tonne, 16 wheelers to pass each other.

You would think a race of people so far advanced could at least build roads wide enough to overtake on?
I doubt that even the Romans could anticipate articualted lorries.

They also built London...

Not sure if that's a good thing...

(In fact they built it twice, the second time after Boudicca destroyed it and killed all its inhabitants)
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:38   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
They gave you concrete.

Now where would you be without?
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:43   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Monty Python 4eva guys!
Unread 3 May 2003, 00:46   #12
mpr0733

Those pesky Romans brought you christianity, that's what they did.
Unread 3 May 2003, 01:40   #13
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They were the Scots you nonce
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:08   #14
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by mpr0733
Atleast we know who to blame then. \o/
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:13   #15
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Quote:
i thought they brought us catholocism (sp?)
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:22   #16
mpr0733

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
i thought they brought us catholocism (sp?)
I was trying to think of an apt word to describe the believing in a middle eastern deity in all its appearances.
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:26   #17
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
I was trying to think of an apt word to describe the believing in a middle eastern deity in all its appearances.
I always thought that the romans hated all things jesus tho...I mean, wasn't them that killed the poor guy?
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:28   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I always thought that the romans hated all things jesus tho...I mean, wasn;t them that killed the poor guy?
Well, two points.

1. Catholicism is a form of Christianity, except in the most literal meaning of catholic.

2. Christianity was the Roman state religion, due to Constantine making it so a few centuries on from the man himself.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:29   #19
mpr0733

They did, yes.

Rome was also, as far as I know, the first main Christian bastion in Europe.
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:36   #20
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Well, two points.

1. Catholicism is a form of Christianity, except in the most literal meaning of catholic.

2. Christianity was the Roman state religion, due to Constantine making it so a few centuries on from the man himself.
thanks...I really don't pay all that much attention to religion

altho...wasn't jesus actually jewish?
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:39   #21
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
No, seriously they arrived in England in the first century stayed 400 years (or there abouts).

but what did they ever do for us?
didnt they invent homosexuality?
Unread 3 May 2003, 02:43   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
altho...wasn't jesus actually jewish?
It'd be quite hard for him to be Christian, as it's based on his teachings and all.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 10:59   #23
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
Originally posted by LISELOTTE
The Greeks already had a tradition of having young boys around.
Unread 3 May 2003, 11:02   #24
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
The Greeks already had a tradition of having young boys around.
Were you around then Leshy or is it something you read about and just picked up?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 11:34   #25
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ASTERIX AND OBELIX
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 11:40   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Re: Re: Re: Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Were you around then Leshy or is it something you read about and just picked up?
I've had Greek history
Unread 3 May 2003, 12:41   #27
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
As far as I'm aware we (the barbarians) got rid of everything the Romans gave us that was useful after they left.
I guess we just didn't want to be civilised.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 12:57   #28
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
oh and

at the time of the Roman empire, catholicism didn't really exist as it does today. Near the end of the romans, the church split and the church that went east developed into the Orthodox church - the remaining romans developed catholicism.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 13:49   #29
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
The Greeks already had a tradition of having young boys.
Fixed it.
Unread 3 May 2003, 16:20   #30
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Re: Re: Re: Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
Fixed it.
I thought the innuendo was clear enough within context, but aye
Unread 3 May 2003, 17:00   #31
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Manwhoring was not fround upon, giving a girl a good public spanking was.
Unread 3 May 2003, 17:06   #32
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
They were the Scots you nonce
The scots didn't arrive in Scotland until the 5th Century AD, and I'm pretty sure the Romans left about th 4th Century? Anyway, they built the wall long before any scots arrived.
Unread 3 May 2003, 19:44   #33
Pi-air
hurr!

Pi-air will become famous soon enoughPi-air will become famous soon enough
invaded by italians.. how sad
Pi-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 20:46   #34
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi-air
invaded by italians.. how sad
'Italics', not 'Italians'.

The latter is reserved for modern-day inhabitants of Italy.
Unread 3 May 2003, 22:06   #35
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
They did not bring.
Art - Art was already present in Celtic Britain. They worked with stone, wood, metal etc.
Society - The Britains had already divided themselves into a tribal society.
Roads - Roads, though only dirt track form where present in Pre-Roman Britain.
Perhaps they didn't technically "bring" those things here, but they definitely improved greatly on the tacky, pathetic, useless ones we already had.

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
Hadrians wall btw wasnt built to keep anyone out, it was to control access into Britain, control trade, tax etc.
And to define the Empires boundary, though forts did exist past this line, once they felt the area south of the wall to be consolidated they pushed north, establishing the Antonine wall, hoping the make this the empires new boundary, though it was abandoned shortly.
No, it was built to protect the Empire's boundary. If they just wanted to control access, they would have built a wooden palisade, like they did in other, less dangerous, parts of the Empire.

They only expanded past it after it was built - Hadrian's aim was to fix the boundaries and not expand any further. Surprisingly enough, the Antonine wall was built by one of the Antonine dynasty, and not Hadrian.
Unread 3 May 2003, 23:33   #36
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
ASTERIX AND OBELIX
YOU GIT!

I was scrolling down hoping that noone had posted this =/
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2003, 00:36   #37
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
'Italics', not 'Italians'.

The latter is reserved for modern-day inhabitants of Italy.
The first for a type of font.
Unread 4 May 2003, 02:28   #38
Judge
Doh!

Re: Re: What did the Romans ever do for us?

Quote:
Originally posted by LISELOTTE
You would know all about that.
Unread 4 May 2003, 04:39   #39
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You would know all about that.
if you scroll up you will actual find that i was wrong about that.
Unread 4 May 2003, 08:18   #40
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
The first for a type of font.
In linguistics, Italics isn't a type of font. It's printing a slightly tilted version of any font, making it look cursive.
Unread 4 May 2003, 09:59   #41
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
In linguistics, Italics isn't a type of font. It's printing a slightly tilted version of any font, making it look cursive.
Look it's our walking fountain of wisdom
Unread 6 May 2003, 15:19   #42
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

This thread has been like a giant festival of ignorance.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2003, 15:39   #43
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
This thread has been like a giant festival of ignorance.
Well I do Classics, so I should know something about this.

In theory.
Unread 6 May 2003, 15:47   #44
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Well I do Classics, so I should know something about this.

In theory.
I wasn't speaking about you, actually, specifically I was talking about the first three quarters of the thread, where there was something of a general air of knowing bugger-all present.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2003, 15:57   #45
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Monty Pythons Life of Brian - Reg:

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Theres probably something there we didnt have.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2003, 16:19   #46
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Theres probably something there we didnt have.
The things in that list they didn't bring they improved greatly upon (we had dirt tracks, for instance; they paved them).
Unread 6 May 2003, 23:05   #47
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
quite a bit, but then we decided we didn't like them, and they got the boot, horay for us
Unread 6 May 2003, 23:15   #48
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Tzencath
quite a bit, but then we decided we didn't like them, and they got the boot, horay for us
Actually, the Empire just collapsed, and Rome was invaded, etc.

We didn't have anything to do with it.

It was all the Goths' fault.
Unread 6 May 2003, 23:58   #49
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
It was all the Goths' fault.
More likely it was Constantine's fault for moving the center of the Empire away from Rome.
Unread 7 May 2003, 00:06   #50
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
More likely it was Constantine's fault for moving the center of the Empire away from Rome.
It was the Goths who conquered Rome, so I suspect it's their fault. Or should we say it's Romulus's fault for founding Rome in the first place?