User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Aug 2003, 09:55   #1
Yossarian

Chivalry

Just simple things like paying for the bill, opening the door for her, getting her seat etc.

Long dead/old fashioned or a noble and worthwhile course of action?
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:00   #2
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Alive and kicking.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:25   #3
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
If i ever swore in front of my mum, my dad would kill me, but never said anything about me swearing in front of him.
And to this day, i never swear in front of the ladies.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 10:31   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
toccata has the right of it there i think, in my own way, i always try to be as chivalrous as possible as it does no harm and makes me feel better about myself
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:49   #5
plasmas_arms
Banned

plasmas_arms is an unknown quantity at this point
I only open doors for girls with nice arses tbh.

gotta get something outta it y'know.
plasmas_arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:50   #6
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
anybody who can get sex out of someone for holding the door open is a super stud
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:54   #7
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
anybody who can get sex out of someone for holding the door open is a super stud
*shrug*
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 12:56   #8
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
wtf is this threahd alla bout?
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 19:31   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Toccata & Fugue
Well there is chivalry and there is manners. I will hold the door for anyone, allow ladies to go first when possible and help people with heavy luggage up stairs, give seat up on bus (never on the train though) I even find myself paying for drinks and so forth. There is a level though which it becomes pointless, and anyone who makes a big honour thing about paying for meals cos "I'm the man" has more money than I do. Women are perfectly capable of looking after themselves and should be treated as such. I don't want to over-analyse it but I guess if I have any chivalry it is trade off for constantly objectifying women.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 20:38   #10
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
I would rather say that anyone who can get sex by opening doors, can get sex regardless..

Just like me.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 20:41   #11
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
To be chivalrous or not to be, that is the question
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 21:12   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Well there is chivalry and there is manners.
Yeah, I agree broadly with this.

I would extend it though to general altruism - I try to help others wherever possible. When the person I'm trying to help (e.g. by opening the door) is a fit woman then so much the better. I try not to be too obvious although I'm sure the woman who asked me the way to Norbury the other day noticed I was leering at her cleavage.

In terms of things like paying for dinner, I'll happily pay if I earn more money than the other person, or they are short for whatever reason. Most relationships (of whatever kind) generally fall into some sort of agreeable pattern - e.g. going dutch, paying for dinner alternately, one person paying for drinks etc.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 21:16   #13
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Its good if it has a rational underlying point, its stupid if its just social convention. Holding doors open, and most of diniing ettiquite, is stupid. General politeness and manners arent. Always paying for meals when youre out with a female and simillar antics actually manage to go beyond stupidity.

Substituting "Your Humble Servant" for "Yours Sincerely/Faithfully" in letters is classy.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 21:18   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Substituting "Your Humble Servant" for "Yours Sincerely/Faithfully" in letters is classy.
Most people who write things like "Your humbe servant" generally turn out to be arrogant bastards.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 12:52   #15
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Its good if it has a rational underlying point, its stupid if its just social convention. Holding doors open, and most of diniing ettiquite, is stupid. General politeness and manners arent. Always paying for meals when youre out with a female and simillar antics actually manage to go beyond stupidity.

You know who else opened doors for women?

HITLER!
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 12:59   #16
plasmas_arms
Banned

Quote:
Yes but I think it was considered the height of bad manners to susequently invade their country.
Those were not invasions, they were pre-emptive strikes against rogue nations.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 13:05   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

I open doors, etc for everybody. If they don't say thank you I kick them up the arse, though.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 13:44   #18
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
if If I see someone who needs help, Ill do so if I can. (such as mothers trying to get prams onto trains and that sort of thing)I don't help people just on the basis that they're lookers or anything, I've just been brought up that way. I hate people who dont appreciate when you do something nice/helpful for them though. I do little things like hold doors open if people are following me, hold elevators if someone is running for one etc, but you always seem to get the odd arrogant asshole who doesnt say thank you, grumpy ****s dont even smile.

I think I might adopt MMs policy of kicking them in the arse...
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote