User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:01   #1
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Mini Nukes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3126141.stm

Anybody else interpret "these weapons are more flexible" as actually meaning, "now when we have bombed their cities and destroyed their infrastructure we also have the option of nuking any survivors while they hide undergorund, thereby proving our superiority by killing them ALL".
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:07   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
idiots.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:10   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
in fairness it would be my guess that the countries most likely to be targeted with those would have their leaders and their WMD buried deep.

at present we can only kill masses of civilians. a deep explosion would probably be environmentally better etc.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:13   #4
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
hah

yeah. Did anyone see that thing a while ago from that leaked pentagon document that said Dubya had ordered the military to look into developing these mini-nukes, neutron bombs and those orbital platforms that could fire nukes onto anywhere? That was scary.
I actually had a chat with my chemistry teacher about this last year, who it turned out felt strongly about the issue and ended up calling George Bush a wanker

Hiroshima? Bush can't even spell it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:15   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: hah

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
those orbital platforms that could fire nukes onto anywhere?.

The what now? Something about that is deeply worrying. Wasn't there a treaty signed demilitarising outer space or am I going totally mad?
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:16   #6
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: hah

Quote:

Hiroshima? Bush can't even spell it.
He can't read let alone spell.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:17   #7
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
at present we can only kill masses of civilians. a deep explosion would probably be environmentally better etc.
negative. That's the absolute worst bomb there is, environmentally. Currently most nukes go off 1000m or more above the ground. It reduces the amount of contaminated earth tossed into the upper atmosphere, thereby alleviating fallout.

Digging nukes lift extremely large quantities of earth into the air, immediately after irradiating it all. The fallout from those nukes would be horrendous. Ofc, in this case, that might not be an issue because they're so small.

I'm not sure what to make of it though. Smaller nukes could mean a shift in attitude where it's "Ok" to use nuclear weapons. ick.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:19   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I was right!
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:21   #9
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: hah

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
The what now? Something about that is deeply worrying. Wasn't there a treaty signed demilitarising outer space or am I going totally mad?
No, there was a UN resolution about it i think.
But since when has he been bothered about the UN? And besides, at the moment he's just "looking into the possibility", which isn't a crime. Unless you're Saddam. Or Kim Jong Il. Or someone not American.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:21   #10
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: Re: hah

Quote:
Afaik that treaty applied to weapons-grade laser technology only. I'll look into it when I get home.

I'm sure the aim of these weapons right now is to destroy arms caches and hardware. However history consistently demonstrates:
(1) You can never 'uninvent' new weapons,
(2) Technology spreads,
(3) The next person in power could be worse.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:24   #11
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
I was right!
Ah, that's the one.

Notice how the US said it had "no intention of putting WOMD in outer space".

Outer space being the term used to refer to space outside the solar system.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:24   #12
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
I'm not sure what to make of it though. Smaller nukes could mean a shift in attitude where it's "Ok" to use nuclear weapons. ick.
Yes. Ick. And it would be a shame if they shared the technology with russia to get rid of the main opposition in creating it, and then had another "fallout" with them (ho ho ho).
Dabbling with nukes no matter how big they are seems like a very bad idea to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:29   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
Ah, that's the one.

Notice how the US said it had "no intention of putting WOMD in outer space".

Outer space being the term used to refer to space outside the solar system.

Quote:
First, it contains an undertaking not to place in orbit around the Earth, install on the moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise station in outer space, nuclear or any other weapons of mass destruction.

Unless the website got it wrong.....

Which it didn't as I just read the treaty itself.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:29   #14
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
negative. That's the absolute worst bomb there is, environmentally. Currently most nukes go off 1000m or more above the ground. It reduces the amount of contaminated earth tossed into the upper atmosphere, thereby alleviating fallout.

Digging nukes lift extremely large quantities of earth into the air, immediately after irradiating it all. The fallout from those nukes would be horrendous. Ofc, in this case, that might not be an issue because they're so small.

Aren't most of our nuclear tests done underground though (the new mexico ones)?

Though they probably do them a lot deeper etc.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:30   #15
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Aren't most of our nuclear tests done underground though (the new mexico ones)?
Yes, but in those areas the soil is very harshly irradiated - that's where they're testing these new bacteria that supposedly eat uranium oxides

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:31   #16
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
dubya bush lol
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:38   #17
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Unless the website got it wrong.....
Which it didn't as I just read the treaty itself.
Yes, I saw that. I refered to a section dealing with the pre-treaty situation:
Quote:
On September 19, 1963, Foreign Minister Gromyko told the General Assembly that the Soviet Union wished to conclude an agreement banning the orbiting of objects carrying nuclear weapons. Ambassador Stevenson stated that the United States had no intention of orbiting weapons of mass destruction, installing them on celestial bodies or stationing them in outer space.
That would have give the US to place whatever weaponry they liked within the solar system as long as it was not in orbit of Earth or on the moon.

Considering "Project Orion" it's not completely insane to believe they might have tried it.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:41   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I saw that. I refered to a section dealing with the pre-treaty situation:That would have give the US to place whatever weaponry they liked within the solar system as long as it was not in orbit of Earth or on the moon.

Considering "Project Orion" it's not completely insane to believe they might have tried it.

I don't think there's much point to it if it flies off towards the sun to be honest.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:42   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

Would it be legal if they sent Cameroon into outer space with nukes on it?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:42   #20
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
The Bush administration is scary, but in the end they are very detached from reality and most of thier ideas (especially the space stuff) are completely rediculous and will never be realized. As scary as it is, we wont have space weapons any time soon. the biggest risk is that we will launch nuclear powered things into space in order to head towards such technology, if a shuttle/rocket carrying nuclear material explodes in the upper atmosphere we could have big problems.

The tactical nuke stuff is scary because it is more realistic, and to develop them would require testing and developing and violating treaties, which of course would cause the other nuclear countries to do similarly in order to keep up with the U.S. It will also further encourage new nations to aquire nuclear weapons in order to protect themselves from the U.S.

Another thing the U.S. is aiming for is fast attack drones, that could be sent around the world at high speeds bombing whoever we want.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:50   #21
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

hmm

it's a bit worrying though, they have plans for this star wars defence system and further nuclear development, so they pull out of the nuclear proliferation treaty.
If they have plans for orbital stuff (which they do, not just nukes, but they have plans to put things that will drop concrete/metal blocks from orbit, for bunker destroying effect), who's saying they won't try to pull out of the UN? Let's face it, they virtually did anyway over the entire Iraq thing. It's things like this that make me glad (for once) that Blair has as much influence on Bush as he does.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:52   #22
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Another thing the U.S. is aiming for is fast attack drones, that could be sent around the world at high speeds bombing whoever we want.
Nasty thought: fast attack drones + mini nukes.
Ouch.
They say they're going to be based on the latest accurate missiles, but something _always_ goes wrong. I dread to think what would happen if they ended up mini-nuking a chinese embassy...

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:54   #23
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
It will also further encourage new nations to aquire nuclear weapons in order to protect themselves from the U.S.
Once we control space the game is over.

No one will be able to put a satellite up without our say so, and we won't say 'yes' to any satellite that could hurt our control of space.

Any ballistic missiles that get fired will be taken out (probably not in the boost phase cause that's just tough) quickly, and whatever country launched them will get wiped instantly by nukes from the sky.

Point being, it won't encourage other nations to pursue weapons because all weapons will then be useless against us (maybe some terrorism type activity still, but that's it)
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:56   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
And then once one particular group has the power of life and death over six billion people I imagine they'll organise a tea party for everyone to attend?
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 16:57   #25
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
And then once one particular group has the power of life and death over six billion people I imagine they'll organise a tea party for everyone to attend?
"You WILL attend!"

I think one major flaw in this is that the US is still thinking that it can get rid of its problems by bombing countries, when if it's _really_ after terrorism, it should know that bombing countries is just going to piss the terrorists off, which isn't a good idea.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:10   #26
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Don't even try to tell me you would stand them up.

PS: I should add that I'm not making a whiny liberal attack, this is the public argument of the neocon leadership.
Quote:
"You WILL attend!"

I think one major flaw in this is that the US is still thinking that it can get rid of its problems by bombing countries, when if it's _really_ after terrorism, it should know that bombing countries is just going to piss the terrorists off, which isn't a good idea.
A lot of problems are bombable, and most can be solved by the threat of bombing.

Terrorism's just a bitch.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:15   #27
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hmm

Quote:
it's a bit worrying though, they have plans for this star wars defence system and further nuclear development, so they pull out of the nuclear proliferation treaty.
If they have plans for orbital stuff (which they do, not just nukes, but they have plans to put things that will drop concrete/metal blocks from orbit, for bunker destroying effect), who's saying they won't try to pull out of the UN? Let's face it, they virtually did anyway over the entire Iraq thing. It's things like this that make me glad (for once) that Blair has as much influence on Bush as he does.
The star wars system is a pipe dream. The people who came up with these ideas are not scientists. They are right wing thinktankers. These are the same people who thought we could send a tiny force to iraq and the people would all just surrender and celebrate in the streets. The militarization of space will be an issue, and this administration is starting what might turn into an arms race in space, but other than sending up some stuff and starting programs to explore it this administration will not be able to realize any of thier space plans. This is assuming of course that the U.S. swings left again and people are put in power who wont follow through.

Quote:
Once we control space the game is over.

No one will be able to put a satellite up without our say so, and we won't say 'yes' to any satellite that could hurt our control of space.

Any ballistic missiles that get fired will be taken out (probably not in the boost phase cause that's just tough) quickly, and whatever country launched them will get wiped instantly by nukes from the sky.

Point being, it won't encourage other nations to pursue weapons because all weapons will then be useless against us (maybe some terrorism type activity still, but that's it)
Erm. We do not have the technology you speak of currently. Developing and deploying it will take a long time. During that time other countries will be developing thigns to counter us. The invincible U.S. model is the one the Neocons are shooting for, but right now its just a model on some paper developed by people who are dreamers. (albeit they dream up pretty evil things) The odds that they can stay in power long enough to even get a fraction of that dream accomplished are slim to none.

Quote:
"You WILL attend!"

The U.S. Isnt trying to stop terrorism, or at least not in a meaningful way. They are more concerned with thier agenda.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:18   #28
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
The U.S. Isnt trying to stop terrorism, or at least not in a meaningful way. They are more concerned with thier agenda.
Which is ironic in a way, because it's because the US only follows their own agenda that hatred of the US in the east has built up.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:26   #29
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
Which is ironic in a way, because it's because the US only follows their own agenda that hatred of the US in the east has built up.
Whose agenda should the US be following? And why?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:28   #30
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W

Erm. We do not have the technology you speak of currently. Developing and deploying it will take a long time. During that time other countries will be developing thigns to counter us. The invincible U.S. model is the one the Neocons are shooting for, but right now its just a model on some paper developed by people who are dreamers. (albeit they dream up pretty evil things) The odds that they can stay in power long enough to even get a fraction of that dream accomplished are slim to none.
We have satellites up there (obviously).

We have GPS. We have satellites that can shoot down other satellites. We're a few years away from ballistic missile defense.

And yes, there are some aspects that are decades away.

But who is going to beat us there?

The only other country with the pocketbook and the will to compete in space is China, and they are forty years behind.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:34   #31
K-W
Bored

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Whose agenda should the US be following? And why?
Erm, not radical neoconservatives, because thier agenda is flawed and unsafe.

Last edited by K-W; 5 Aug 2003 at 17:43.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 17:37   #32
K-W
Bored

Re: Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
We have satellites up there (obviously).

We have GPS. We have satellites that can shoot down other satellites. We're a few years away from ballistic missile defense.

And yes, there are some aspects that are decades away.

But who is going to beat us there?

The only other country with the pocketbook and the will to compete in space is China, and they are forty years behind.
We arent nearly that close to such technologies.

Who is going to beat us? Personally I dont think anyone is, because I think these mad scientist schemes will die with the radical group thats pushing them.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:03   #33
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
I don't think there's much point to it if it flies off towards the sun to be honest.
Not particularly, but it would be a nice way to, ohhhh.... say, sequester Mars?

And all within treaty restrictions.

Course, a reason to do so would be an asset to the grand scheme.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:07   #34
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Re: hmm

Quote:
It takes far less time to duplicate what someone else has already done, since you can buy or steal the technology.

Plus given the deplorable state of the current US space program[*] I think China could pass us in 10 years--if they wanted to.

* Broken down orbiter fleet, expensive space station that nobody wants, and an expendable launch fleet that includes the reworked Atlas 5 rocket that uses Russian-built engines.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:10   #35
sayonara
Shai Halud

...not to mention the fact that China doesn't have any whiney voters to put the politicians off investing money that could go on schools and public health.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:15   #36
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
The trouble with those treaties, especially the one forbidding the detonation of nuclear weapons in space, is that they prohibit the possible devolopment of possible useful technologies.

Take, for example, Project Orion - possibly the only positive use that a hydrogen bomb can have which would have changed the world. For those of you that have not heard of it, Project Orion was a project around the 1950's that was designed to produce a spacecraft that used the detonation of hydrogen bombs against an inertial plate. This was then and therefore still is, from an engineering point of view, entirely practical. It is likely that the Orion spacecraft could have reached up to 10% the speed of light. A trip to Alpha Centauri, 4.3 light years away, would take 43 years.

Unfortunately the various treaties currently in place hold up development of such scientific projects. Orion was actually under serious development when said international treaty was signed. There should always be exceptions. However, allowing Mr. Bush to nuke the hole of a rabbit family that has been eating his dad's carrots is not the kind of exception that is acceptable. This bloke has a serious stick up his arse. He needs to get beaten silly with a model trampoline. He pisses me off!
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:25   #37
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by HAL-9000
Orion was actually under serious development when said international treaty was signed.
Orion used proven technology already and could have been constructed in space, beyond the limits laid out by the treaty.

Here is a brief history of the project with pictures and stuff for anyone interested:

http://www.nuclearspace.com/a_orion_and_empire.htm
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:33   #38
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Orion used proven technology already and could have been constructed in space, beyond the limits laid out by the treaty.

Here is a brief history of the project with pictures and stuff for anyone interested:

http://www.nuclearspace.com/a_orion_and_empire.htm
But the treaty forbids the detonation of nuclear weapons in outer space. Construction is no problem whatsoever. However the country is not allowed to have the bombs detonated. Further (due to your impending 'the people on the ship could detonate them they are not on the earth so not bound by treaty blah blah), the ship would be classed as United States territory and hence the detonation of the bombs in the US, any place on earth or on any ship would go against the treaty. Designing an automated detonation would be akin to setting off a nuclear bomb on a timer. The place where it was manufactured has in essance been the place of detonation, or at least the place where the detonation (or the process of detonation) began, and therefore that is also banned by the treaty. Afaik there is no way of getting around it.

It's a crying shame really.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:36   #39
K-W
Bored

I think that such treaties probably err on the right side of things though.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:43   #40
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
But the treaty forbids the detonation of nuclear weapons in outer space...

It's a crying shame really.
Yes, in the case of Orion it is a shame (or not, if you consider the military's decision to increase the funding of the project by turning it into a warship five minutes before the president turned up to have a look at the progress - bad mistake).

However, as I already pointed out earlier the use of the term "outer space" in the treaty is ambigous since in astrophysics it refers to the space outside the solar system.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:46   #41
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Quote:
Yes, in the case of Orion it is a shame (or not, if you consider the military's decision to increase the funding of the project by turning it into a warship five minutes before the president turned up to have a look at the progress - bad mistake).

However, as I already pointed out earlier the use of the term "outer space" in the treaty is ambigous since in astrophysics it refers to the space outside the solar system.
Hmm very interesting. I was not aware of that (but then I don't study astrophysics so how on earth would I know?!). Quite a loophole if it were to be exploited!
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:49   #42
K-W
Bored

I wouldnt want nasa playing with anything like that with the current ties between the defense dept and nasa.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:51   #43
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I wouldnt want nasa playing with anything like that with the current ties between the defense dept and nasa.
Increase our budget, rawrrrr!!!!

OMG this is so far OT it's ridiculous
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:53   #44
HAL-9000
I'm great!

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
With the current ability to know virtually everything that is going on (especially something as big as creating a doomsday device in space) I doubt anything would be done. The outcome would be catastrophic for the US. If they wanted to create such a device they would not bother trying to masquerade it under the pretence that they are creating an interstellar starship. They would just do it. They clearly don't give a toss what other countries think. No I would probably trust NASA on this one.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:54   #45
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hold the mushrooms please........
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 18:57   #46
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the UN security council should meet and demand that these WMD are destroyed, and UN inspection teams be let in to ensure that WMD are not developed.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 19:09   #47
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
I think the UN security council should meet and demand that these WMD are destroyed, and UN inspection teams be let in to ensure that WMD are not developed.
Do you really want to wait that long?
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 19:15   #48
K-W
Bored

Quote:
With the current ability to know virtually everything that is going on (especially something as big as creating a doomsday device in space) I doubt anything would be done. The outcome would be catastrophic for the US. If they wanted to create such a device they would not bother trying to masquerade it under the pretence that they are creating an interstellar starship. They would just do it. They clearly don't give a toss what other countries think. No I would probably trust NASA on this one.
With NAsa so underfunded, the well funded dept of def has gotten itself tied in with nasa providing much needed funds, but adding a military componant to the research thats done. As long as this is the case I dont trust NASA.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 08:44   #49
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
As scary as it is, we wont have space weapons any time soon. the biggest risk is that we will launch nuclear powered things into space in order to head towards such technology, if a shuttle/rocket carrying nuclear material explodes in the upper atmosphere we could have big problems.
Cassini was a Martian probe launched a few years back with a nuclear power source.
When launched it used earth’s gravity to sling shot on towards Mars.
So not only was there a risk of it exploding on launch, but also a risk as it flew past the Earth a second time.

They've already done it, so i think bigger nuclear luanches are Inevitable.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 12:14   #50
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the next Tom Clancy novel

Mini-nukes are pointless. Yeah you could wipe out pretty much anything. But what's the point if you can't actually go where you've been blowing stuff up? I thought that was the whole idea of warfare. Advance - Kill - Advance - Kill - Advance - Kill - search for WMD - Kill....

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote