User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Sep 2004, 20:36   #1
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road
Plus and Minus of Races so far Based on The Beta

OK people

have to say when it comes to being tactical when choosing races i have never really payed any attention i always used to go Ziks coz they could steal other peoples ships which i thought was cool, just played as cath in the beta which was a nice change although the fact that u cant actually kill anything kinda sux when u planning that retal not to mention i havent played for a few rounds i mean not scanning for roids? that threw me for a long time glad i found that out in the beta! but anyways i digress basically i was wondering if some statto 1337 player could give us less analysing players a break down of the good and bad reasons so choose each race!

this would be much appreciated by myself and i imagine by any players new to the game as well as any returning players like myself.

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2004, 23:35   #2
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Plus and Minus of Races so far Based on The Beta

I wouldn't think too hard, the easiest way is to look at it like this :

Terran > Cath > Zik > Xan > Terran

Best bet is to watch the stats as to who goes which race, then pick the one that preys on it. If as expected there is the usual glut of Terran, Xan will have an absolute field day for instance.

As for ships and capabilities, at this point, there's really not much to say, each race can hit one other, with one particular fleet setup at this point, unless there's some major changes then it's going to be a very simple round tbh.

Nova
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 00:14   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Xands cant roid terrans/caths/ziks/xands later on during the round very easily actually so erm ? harpies at init 4 change a lot.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 16:13   #4
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Xands cant roid terrans/caths/ziks/xands later on during the round very easily actually so erm ? harpies at init 4 change a lot.
http://jpaweb01.planetarion.com/stats.pl

Not exactly mr. current events are we today?

Nova
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 16:34   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

note the time of my post? *g*
Unread 30 Sep 2004, 00:49   #6
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I would pick Terran if I only wanted to end top 200 or so. Terran will take loses in every battle, but they will be excellent for defense.

I would Pick XAN if I wanted to press my luck. Swarm ships are cheap, and all of the good anti fi co ships are way to slow. Plus a XAN can pick on a smaller XAN.

I would pick Zik if I wanted to end top 100 or so. BS pods are way to slow though. and FR pods (current) looks more like a fi pod or a co pod just slower. So no benifit there. Also, a Zik will be seless to a certain extent in Ally defence. Just to slow.

I would go Cath if I wanted to be a defense hoar. Good defense ships. You can have a solid cath planet. But so many people take cath targets that you will have to much incoming to do anything.

Just a brief overview of how I look at.

When you choose your race, you should always take into consideration
1. Are you comfortable with it?
2. How can the race benifit your ally as far as defense?
3. Will I be targeted a lot?
4. What race is the majority choosing?
5. What fleet composition can I make to counter that Race.

So, look at the stats. then look at those questions, and it will be a breeze to choose a race.
Unread 30 Sep 2004, 02:18   #7
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

xan have shite ships, but (and i've said it all in another post so I;m not saying it again here) they currently are the best simpley because their fleet combos are hard for other races to stop. Only terran defence against small xan is harpies, which means you expend score in none roiding ships (ie bad). and xan actually can do very well against zik in the late game, about the point they start building bs, you start building fr... gives you a bluffing fleet too....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2004, 15:45   #8
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

I would say what I would've chose if Phil would stop changing them.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2004, 17:13   #9
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed since the last set of changes that Zik have only one target now, that being Xan. With the changes in Terran init Zik can't hit Terran at all leaving Zik with only one race to hit without either a) insane loses or b) not getting a roid due to BW's. Kinda sucks if I must say so myself as Phil's strategy was to have one race for each other race to seriously own and then have another they could hit okayish. That has obviously gone to the way side given that Terran anti-BS fire the same time as Corsair and Clipper are useless with PHX being a corvette class leaving that attack with three or four different classes of ships.
Unread 2 Oct 2004, 17:36   #10
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

zik can hit other ziks too with cr/bs, it being simply a matter of numbers as to who wins
the stats will be final as of noon 3rd october
Unread 2 Oct 2004, 17:39   #11
jerome

r11 stats were fun.
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 00:53   #12
Nology

Problem with that Phil is how many Ziks are you expecting? Zik have to rely on certain Xan ships to be home, they can't hit Terran due to the init changes and can't hit Cath due to BW's. Basically you've limited them to luck and a race that won't even have more then 20% of the total count in the end.
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 11:19   #13
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road

i think one way to make it more interesting and obviuosly not for this round but is to introduce more ships making the fleets more diverse, pretty much every round since the begining has eneded up with there pretty much being a standard fleet for every race to use if you want to do well, i think that one way to combat this would be to introduce a larger amount of ships.

obviuosly the downside to this is that the balancing would take a hell of a lot longer but on the other hand would be more realisitic, i mean look at navy/airforces today they dont only have 2 of each type of ship/plane per country there are hundreds with each country having many differnt types and that is just with one planet and with people having acces to pretty much the same technology.

another option would be to have mercanary ships, obviously they would have to be xpensive and allow only a certian % of any fleet to have them but you could use them to try and plug some of the holes in ure own races defences, but with a % cap and a higher cost this would make it so that they wouldnt be to powerfull making any one race undefeatable.

and another way would be to introduce new races, if you think about in the entire universe the chances of there only being four races is pretty slim so again this would add more realisim to the game, however as with either of the other 2 suggestions would require extensive testing and balancing and in the end increase the work load so i can understand the reasons for not doing it but is just an idea.

but in the long run much as would be much work to implement one or any of the above ideas it would make the game more interesting and fleet composition more tactical instead of just looking at the stats and working out that buying said 3 or 4 ships will allow you to have an 90% roiding fleet.

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 15:38   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

too many ships is a bad idea, it gets far too complicated.... It was bad enough when I joined with just science/war ships around :/
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 12:06   #15
White Fox
A Clueless Fool

White Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't like that ter have to wait for frigs to get roid caps. i'll be going xan, i know every1 says they're weaker this round but i'd disagree.
White Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 14:09   #16
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Go xan then, you homosapien

Just because terrans don't have fi/co pods doesn't mean they are bad, 72 ticks is plenty to get to fr/de
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 14:31   #17
Nology

It is if you ignore everything else, which isn't necessarily bad. Terran are the better of the four races though in my opinon. They are easy to play as and normally stay easy throughout the round.
Unread 6 Oct 2004, 01:08   #18
yupster
Dawsons Creek r0x

yupster is an unknown quantity at this point

terran is different now

[1up]

Round5 - 16:23
Round11 - 21:1
Round12 - 22:5
yupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2004, 17:25   #19
jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nology
It is if you ignore everything else
heh.