User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Nov 2004, 11:24   #1
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of
Final fantasy 8....Is it just me..

Or is horribly ugly??

I picked up a copy of it along with ff7 a few months ago and I just started playing it after ff7 and ff 10 and jesus it looks like it was hit with an ugly wand....is it because Im playing it on a ps2 or is it meant to look all grainy/fuzzy and out of focus.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 11:29   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Final fantasy 8....Is it just me..

It really did look like that =/ Never mind, eh. You end up ignoring it.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 11:46   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Did you do anything with the cards?
they kept pissing me off...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 11:48   #4
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I like FF8, it wasnt as good as FF7, but the storyline really came into his own towards the end where you cared a great deal about the fate of your characters.

Siefer was too.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 11:58   #5
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue

I still completed it though and like a moron I will play the other games as well, all the while dreaming of FF7.
I know the feeling.

But other than that I enjoyed it a little bit but I thought it was better than number 9 i think they just put that one together over lunch or something.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 12:04   #6
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

yeah, wtf are those cards for?

And does junctioning GFs/cards/random shit actually help or is it just there to make the game really hard to swing into?
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 12:35   #7
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Those GF's give you the ability to assign magic to your characters, increasing their stats immensely. Some of them are of use in fights against monsters and lesser bosses, but most are useless in combat. Those cards can be transferred into items, one of them give you 100 "hero", making you invulnerable for a period of time (and making any bosses piss easy).
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 13:41   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Final fantasy 8....Is it just me..

The cards can be transfogrified into items through a special ability; you don't have to wait until the end for this. The higher the value the card, the better the item(s) you get. The details of this escape me now, though.

Irvine (oh yes.) is surely the best thing about FF8.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 13:49   #9
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

rinoa was prettier

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 13:57   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
rinoa was prettier
her mother was way nicer in her day.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 14:40   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
You can trade the cards at the end for 100 "hero" or "Aura" items (or something) which makes you pretty hard. I think its Aura which means you are in limit break mode without losing all your energy.
i think you mean for the Heros or Holy-Wars which make you invulnerable for a period of time

Aura indeed sets you for limit break

Fear the Melt-down ( on baddie ) -> Aura ( on squall ) -> Renzokuken -> Lionheart combo

or Eden on max-boost

Or irvine with pulse ammo...
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 15:08   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Christ, didn't anyone else just play cards for the enjoyment of kicking people's asses?
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 15:17   #13
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I, rather sadly, remember wasting hours upon hours of my youth trying to collect all the cards.

It was a good game though nowhere nearly in the same league as FF7

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 15:25   #14
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

nope, i hated the card game
only played it to get squalls card , so i could modify it into stuff
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 15:42   #15
Phil^
Insomniac

you were lucky enough for that attack to actually DO anything when you needed it to?
i think i saw that dog a total of 3 times in battle :/

tbh the ff games have always excelled in one are and the rest got neglected

ff7 - Storyline = great. gfx + sound - so-so
ff8 - Sound - great (imo) , gfx + story- so-so.
ff9 - Gfx - great ( for a playstation ) , sound + story - so-so

not played ff10 yet, still not got myself a ps2 ( im so deprived )
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 15:44   #16
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Has anyone here seen the trailer for the FF film? The CGI in it is incredible - for anyone that appreciates the amount of work that goes into doing ie: Radiosity etc. it's not easy by any means heh.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 16:04   #17
Phil^
Insomniac

the advent children one? yeah ive seen it. looks lovely

ofc so did 'the spirits within' , but the story on that sucked.
it will be interesting to see it when its finished tho
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 16:15   #18
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
the advent children one? yeah ive seen it. looks lovely

ofc so did 'the spirits within' , but the story on that sucked.
it will be interesting to see it when its finished tho
That's the one

Apparently it was going to come out at the cinemas but it's more than likely to come out straight onto DVD. The bike scene etc. just looks bloody amazing!
----------retired-------
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 16:32   #19
Phil^
Insomniac

mmm indeed
ive heard a few things about the storyline. tho the trailer i have has someone speaking in the background in japanese which i dont understand
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:25   #20
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed FF8, the PC version looks nice imo.

The only thing FF8 lacked was interesting mini-games, that and it's helluva easier, I've only just left Timber and Squall is already lvl 67.

I preferred the draw system over the laborious materia system, the card game is the best developed card game I've seen in any title, the gf's unfortunately could of done with touching up on their animation times but are none the less more useful and not ridiculously under/overpowered as their FF7 counterparts.
I preferred the more adult direction of the game and indeed as T&F said Laguna Loire was the best character, if horribly underused.
I felt the storyline was lamost epic though they don't always capture the drama completely, and of course unless you have the pc version you can't enjoy the chocobo mini-game.
The weapon upgrading system was poor, totally utterly poor.

In all though I ended up preferring FF7 purely because the plot moved along thick and fast and you never had dull moments, FF8 had a great plot but with no speed or decent filler unfortunately, FF9 was probably the worst of the bunch though... totally unmemorable and felt like playing a DBZ series.

p.s. FFX and FFX-2 are too much eye candy not enough content imo I'd definately rate Kingdom Hearts above the FFX series for impacting storyline... and FF:CC is amazingly good fun if you enjoy zelda and can ignore the narration.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:41   #21
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

I quite enjoyed getting the most out of the materia system in ff7, as for ffX's story....it isnt really grabbing me atm, although Im still collecting the fayths (whichever ones after the bahumat summon) .

Started collecting monsters too which is interesting.

Sarah's still trying to breed a golden chocobo in ff7, Im afraid that my sanity is fast running out
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:42   #22
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
I quite enjoyed getting the most out of the materia system in ff7, as for ffX's story....it isnt really grabbing me atm, although Im still collecting the fayths (whichever ones after the bahumat summon) .

Started collecting monsters too which is interesting.

Sarah's still trying to breed a golden chocobo in ff7, Im afraid that my sanity is fast running out
Jesus ****ing christ breeding a gold chocobo is pissing simple... what on earth is she doing wrong if she hasn't got it by now?
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:44   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why are you complaining about the looks of FF8, and not FF7?

FF7 looks like it was drawn by a seven year-old.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:52   #24
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Jesus ****ing christ breeding a gold chocobo is pissing simple... what on earth is she doing wrong if she hasn't got it by now?

I believe that she has been unable to capture the corect rating of chocobo for the breeding of a black chocobo.

Also she is doing it without any guide apart from the chocobo sage which is enough to drive most people around the bend.

MM: FF7 is far from beautiful but it is not as gaudy or eye gougingly unattractive as FF8, sometimes simplicity done well is more appealing than needless and poorly implemented complexity
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:56   #25
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
but it is not as gaudy or eye gougingly unattractive as FF8,
No, it isn't. It's blocky, grainy, and downright ugly in a lot of places.

Tbh, the constant bleakness and seeming lack of any proper lighting other than lurid blues or purples in Midgar really got on my tits after a while.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:56   #26
Llew Silvr Hand

Llew Silvr Hand is infamous around these partsLlew Silvr Hand is infamous around these parts

It's great coming back to the boards after a few years and seeing all the old names arguing!!

All i need now is for Yahweh to turn up!!
Llew Silvr Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:57   #27
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
mmm indeed
ive heard a few things about the storyline. tho the trailer i have has someone speaking in the background in japanese which i dont understand
which trailer have you seen?! I've seen about 4 - most of them are the same but a min. at least vary in all 4 I've seen

I take it no-one else has seen the trailer and me and Phil are in the minority? (execuse the bad grammar and not using the Phil and I etc.)
----------retired-------
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:58   #28
Sunday8pm
Banned

Tell sar to breed female's with males, it might help :P

Also tell her she's lovely and she doesn't post enough here.
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 17:59   #29
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Tbh, the constant bleakness of Midgar really got on my tits after a while.

Its a dystopian nightmare of corporate rape and slavery, where terrorists and special security forces spend their days blowing shit up and the rich overlords happily sacrifice 1/8th of their city to kill 6 people.

What were you expecting, Disneyworld?
Unread 2 Nov 2004, 23:48   #30
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
In actual fact (after originally posting a thread on here asking for hints on chocobo breeding) I quit and restarted the game after Tony kindly pointed out that I had missed a couple of materia along the way. Not that I'm the obsessive compulsive type you understand :\ Also as Tony said I am trying to do this without the aid of a guide. Meanwhile I am taking a break from FF7 in order to complete Tony Hawk Proskater 4 without using any of the cheats or Jango Jump Jet.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2004, 00:09   #31
Phil^
Insomniac

which materia?
Unread 3 Nov 2004, 00:49   #32
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I missed Contain materia and also Alexander which on my second time around I still didn't get (because I couldn't follow that ****ing map) but apparantly I can go back and get that - so on my second attempt I believe that's all I have missed :\

Unread 3 Nov 2004, 09:08   #33
Phil^
Insomniac

you can still get alexander, yup. a green, black or gold chocobo, just walk into the forest surrounding the northern crater and you'll be back there. theres a cave which leads back to the outside world from there too

as for the contain materia you *might* still be able to get it from the white chocobo at mideel, give it some greens and it should get friendly enough for you to scratch its ear
its up on the top left of the screen when you get there

You could also try your luck at bone villiage, you might find it there also

Edit : for when doing alexander, touch the hot springs and then get to the hut, either bygoing there or collapsing

then backtrack and go straight down ( on the snow field ) to the cave, get the all materia from it and then go right ( on the snow field ). that should lead you to the right place

Last edited by Phil^; 3 Nov 2004 at 09:50.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2004, 11:07   #34
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

I got contain now anyway I haven't been arsed to go up and get Alexander yet but I will - I'm just levelling up my materia just now anyway before I go after the next weapon