User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 May 2004, 23:03   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why dont Microsoft release a proper web browser?

It doesnt make sense to me. IE6 is what, 2 years old, and hasnt received a major update in this time. It seems obvious that it has fallen massively behind competing browsers, and feels positively out of date compared to them. I cant understand why Microsoft don't just produce IE7 - its not like theyre lacking resources or anything. Hobbyists have managed to improve IE6 (avant browser and suchlike), so you'd think microsoft would be able to knock off something semi-decent. Are they saving an updated browser for use in some future OS? Or have they just lost interest in the browser market?

This isnt meant to be a browser advocacy thread, I just really dont get Microsoft's strategy here.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:04   #2
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Why dont Microsoft release a proper web browser?

They realised it wasn't worth trying any longer when Bill Gates started using Opera.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:05   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe they dont feel they have a lot to gain financially.
They'll always be ppl who wont use IE whatever, so they dont care about these.

Those who use it now will be content.

Plus, you know, its free, surely they cant get much $ out of it anyway?!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:09   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And on a completely unrelated note concering computer industry things I dont fully understand, why have CPU clock speeds apparently frozen?
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:10   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was under the impression the next iteration of IE is to come out with XP SP2

Edit: apparently not. Have to wait till Longhorn. Woopy doo.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:19   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Microsoft has decided not to develop Internet Explorer any further at this point, but release their next browser with Windows Longhorn. What their intended strategy is - I'm not sure of. Likely they are counting on the browser market not shifting dramatically in an Opera/Mozilla direction.

As long as MSIE keeps a large majority of the market - and until Windows Longhorn comes out, it will - any features not supported by MSIE, such as most of CSS2, will not gain popularity or be used. If new techniques are not used due to lack of mass support, even newer techniques will not be developed, or at least at a much slower pace.

If MSIE 7 with proper standards support were to be released now, XHTML and CSS2, CSS3 would gain popularity very quickly, giving the W3C more power. In the current situation, the W3C is relatively powerless, because no one will use standards or techniques that 80% of the Internet won't be able to see or use. I reckon Microsoft has little problems with that.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:23   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
And on a completely unrelated note concering computer industry things I dont fully understand, why have CPU clock speeds apparently frozen?
what the bollocks are you on about gordon ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:29   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
what the bollocks are you on about gordon ?
Presumably about the fact that we've been at around the 3GHz and 3000+ mark in CPU speeds for a while now, and newer models aren't coming out as fast as they used to.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:33   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It doesnt make sense to me. IE6 is what, 2 years old, and hasnt received a major update in this time. It seems obvious that it has fallen massively behind competing browsers, and feels positively out of date compared to them. I cant understand why Microsoft don't just produce IE7 - its not like theyre lacking resources or anything. Hobbyists have managed to improve IE6 (avant browser and suchlike), so you'd think microsoft would be able to knock off something semi-decent. Are they saving an updated browser for use in some future OS? Or have they just lost interest in the browser market?

This isnt meant to be a browser advocacy thread, I just really dont get Microsoft's strategy here.
I don't see what your getting at. IE is perfectly fine. What more could i want? Its the page content thats shit or good, not the tool. Opera was a piece of crap that lasted less time on my computer than Gator.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:35   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Perfectly fine at what?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:39   #11
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

MS probably wants to destroy the idea of having a "browser" at some later point in favour of some more transparent interface schema.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:39   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
IE is perfectly fine.
There is one simple reason why MSIE survives, and this quote demonstrates it.

Ignorance is bliss.

That's not a personal dig at you, Deffeh - the simple fact is that 90% of users simply do not know what is available beyond what they have, and thus they are content.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:40   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Perfectly fine at what?
Letting me use the internet without annoying features and buttons

Unread 19 May 2004, 23:43   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Ah, k. That's cool then. But some people (mainly designers) want to move the technology behind sites forward. IE not developing restricts this. Whether IE is better than Opera is irrelevent (for this thread), Nod is asking why IE don't simply improve their browser.

Do you think that every single feature that web pages could ever have has been done?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:44   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
There is one simple reason why MSIE survives, and this quote demonstrates it.

Ignorance is bliss.

That's not a personal dig at you, Deffeh - the simple fact is that 90% of users simply do not know what is available beyond what they have, and thus they are content.
I tried opera and didnt like it. You can throw any explorer at me and i probably wont like it. IE survives because its simple, easy, and because some people like me are more concerned with Page content than the way its displayed.

Unread 19 May 2004, 23:44   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
My Opera interface contains less buttons than my MSIE one.
Quote:
IE survives because its simple, easy, and because some people like me are more concerned with Page content than the way its displayed.
If people were primarily concerned with content, then the browser of choice would be Mosaic 1.0.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:47   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Honestly, at the rate we're going with heat dissipation problems
One major issue why we're not pushing the 4GHz barrier yet.
Unread 19 May 2004, 23:58   #18
Nodrog

my friend just bought a plasma screen tv and I was all like 'wtf why dont you just use your old 14 inch portable do you think having a better tv is going to make the programs better?"
Unread 20 May 2004, 00:31   #19
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Microsoft intends to fully integrate future OS's. In essence, they're not making a new browser because they intend to destroy the concept of a browser as we know it. Full integration of the internet into the 'windows experience' or whatever. Longhorn is supposed to be the endall, which might explain the completely insane system requirements believed to be needed to run it.

On the CPU note, there was an article a while back that said they're moving away from clockspeeds because they're no longer really all that relevant and it's starting to be a detriment as not all same mHz chips were created equal. They intend to communicate the power of the chip with a new naming convention that isn't a raw number.

Of note, AMD is starting to make most of it's chips unoverclockable because of resellers altering the chips and then selling them as the faster chips which is somewhat deceptive. HOWEVER, they're making a new chip series that will remain overclockable with a new designation so that OC junkies will still love them to bits. I can't find the article though atmo.
Unread 20 May 2004, 00:49   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

[19:43] <nodrog> **** SAKE I ****ING HATE OPERA
[19:43] <nodrog> what a piece of shitly designed shit
[19:47] <nodrog> im using intenet explorer
[19:47] <nodrog> this is a ****ing joke
[19:48] <nodrog> opera crashes every 5 minutes now
[19:48] <nodrog> its a heap of shit

LOLIRONYLOLMFG

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 01:42   #21
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsnake
HOWEVER, they're making a new chip series that will remain overclockable with a new designation so that OC junkies will still love them to bits. I can't find the article though atmo.
that will be the athlon xp-m ( xp-mobile for the retards) then, its all ready out

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 02:00   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Why dont Microsoft release a proper web browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Honestly, at the rate we're going with heat dissipation problems, fans and stuff like that, I'd prefer having a 2Ghz Pentium M that performs the same as a <insert pentium 4 analogy> and consumes less, thus giving out less heat, than have my room heated just because of 1 processor.
If you don't have major heat dissipation problems then you're not pushing the envelope. Perhaps a bit of liquid immersion?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 02:48   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Opera isnt a bigger screen. Its a same sized screen with about 50,000 more options for changing brightness, contrast, etc.

Unread 20 May 2004, 03:02   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if processors get better too fast my new computer will become shit at an unnaceptable rate
Unread 20 May 2004, 04:57   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was due to hitting yet another limit of the lithographic process used to create the chip wafers?
Unread 20 May 2004, 06:12   #26
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

apparently there will be a functioning 10 bit quantum computer by 2012 or so, so perhaps the chip makers are worrying about that. Just to note, the fastest computer in the world can emulate an 8 bit QC. currently we wre only on 2 bits

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 06:17   #27
Nodrog

I still dont think I buy quantum computing at all, and I'm taking a very strong "I'll believe it when it happens" approach to the whole thing.
Unread 20 May 2004, 06:50   #28
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I still dont think I buy quantum computing at all, and I'm taking a very strong "I'll believe it when it happens" approach to the whole thing.
640KB of RAM should be enough for anyone, right?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 08:36   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There are unexpected quantum effects taking place at the 70-90nm region which weren't taking place in the 90-130nm region meaning that IBM have had some problems getting their chip manufacturing plants to work reliably*. This means that instead of just packing more transistors in the same volume, they have to find ways of making them more efficient. The MP chips are an example of this, but the market's going to be for 64 bit chips for the moment (although AMD are dominating it after Intel's hideous Itanium), especially when Longhorn is released.

*Just have a look at the yield for the new GeForce cards.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 09:35   #30
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
My Opera interface contains less buttons than my MSIE one.
when I installed Opera a while ago (wanted to know if my web-creations worked on Opera too), it was flooded with buttons and menu's, so only 70% of the bidth/height of the screen was used form the actual content. Now a Opera junkie like you can disable them rather quickly, I couldn't find where to disable it within 5min... The average user has by then already closed Opera and started IE...
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 09:37   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
I couldn't find where to disable it within 5min...
The 'View' menu.

Methinks you're a moron.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2004, 10:14   #32
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The 'View' menu.

Methinks you're a moron.
Or simply right-click on the offending object and choose one of the many display options.
Unread 20 May 2004, 10:25   #33
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
I don't see what your getting at. IE is perfectly fine. What more could i want? Its the page content thats shit or good, not the tool. Opera was a piece of crap that lasted less time on my computer than Gator.
The problems with IE are:

- It doesn't implement CSS properly, forcing designers to come up with elaborate ways (e.g. dynamic values) to get IE to display pages the same as all the other browsers that are rendering them correctly.

- It only implements about 90% of the previous HTML specification, never mind the new standard. As an example, beyond resources like CSS, [link] is a foreign concept to IE.

- It implements non-standard objects and scripts, such as VB script or Microsoft's own take on dynamic CSS, which other browsers don't support (because there's no reason why they should, or a standard that handles the same function in a simpler fashion that everyone else understands already exists).

Now while a lot of this is fairly transparent to the end user, it can easily result in inaccessible or non-rendered content. It also results in inaccessible pages for non-IE users when developers don't test thoroughly in different browsers.
Unread 20 May 2004, 10:50   #34
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
In business terms it's a good one.

If they release IE7 now, with full CSS support, tabbed browsing etc, then move on to their "integrated experience" product with Longhorn, it will look as if their new technology mainly owes its existence to Mozilla development, W3C standards and (slightly) the open source community.

By missing out what we (being clued-up users, which tbh don't feature prominently in Microsoft's non-corporate customer base) see as the natural middle step, they make it appear that their proprietary and insular approach has suddenly revolutionised browsing technology, when in reality all they've done is driven the wedge further in and tightened their hold on their market share.
Unread 20 May 2004, 13:06   #35
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Reversible computing for the win!

With the possible exception that the only programming languages designed for the whole concept are ugly as sin.