User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 7 May 2005, 14:37   #1
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Guide for Attacking

This thread is designed to help new players understand what to do when attacking in Planetarion. It may look complicated, but it doesnt take very long at all before it becomes second nature . Thus:

1) Fleet Composition: Build a fleet that is suited to your race. Threads can be found elsewhere on the strategy forum to guide you here.
2) Target Selection: Choose a target that your fleet is good at attacking - This is also discussed in race/fleet guides.
3) Use a Battle Calculator (aka Battlecalc, Bcalc) such as this one or this one to estimate the likely losses you will take and inflict on your enemy, in particular how many roids you are expected to capture - input your target's fleet into the Defenders side, and your fleet into the Attacker's side (most will accept a paste of your scans, such as unit scans).
4) Fleet Transfer: On the FLEETS page, ensure that you transfer the RIGHT ships into the RIGHT fleet to launch on the RIGHT target (and make sure you hit ATTACK not DEFEND ).
5) FOR GOD'S SAKE - REMEMBER TO HAVE PODS IN YOUR ATTACK FLEET
6) Launch: Launch your fleet (preferably along with other people's at the same time, a "Raid").
7) Prelaunch: Prelaunch can be useful to delay the launch of your fleet such that your target might be asleep, or otherwise will receive less defence. Be aware, though, that it is possible for your attack to be discovered before it launches.
8) JGP Scan: when your fleet is almost at the end of its first tick of travelling (ie, 55 mins after you get a News item saying Fleet 1 has Launched), do a Jumpgate Probe scan - this is to see whether your target received alliance defence in it's first tick. Often, if your target is receiving defence from the outset its going to get covered (at the very least it will make you take more losses than you had calculated for). I usually recall at this stage, and then re-send the fleet when it gets home (though this requires being online enough). Be aware that a Jumpgate Probe scan will show all fleets inbound to your target - only pay attention to the fleets with the same ETA as your fleet, all the others wont participate in your battle. If there is no defence, proceed.
9) JGP AGAIN: When your fleet is ETA 4 - this scan will tell you all the fleets that can be launched to aid your target - as it will show up and in-galaxy fleets as well. This is where you need to make a decision of whether to fight or flight (recall). Obviously, the more marginal your original calc (Step 3) was, the more likely you are to recall with less defence. If you think your target is only partially covered;
10) Unit Scan the Defenders: This will give you a much better indication of what your target's defenders would have sent to counter your fleet - usually its fairly obvious to guess (if you sent a Fighter (FI) fleet which showed up at ETA 7, then any defenders from in universe (outside galaxy) wont be able to send any Frigates (FR) or larger ships (Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships) to defend against you. Further, it is likely that they would only have sent anti FI ships (Ships who target Fighters), unless they are sending along Flak (other ships in the same class so you dont kill as many and thus take more losses) too. An example is where a Xandathrii planet is sending 10 000 Pulsars against your Destroyer classed attacking fleet, however you JGP Scan shows that there are 50 000 defending ships from that Xan. If you Unit Scan shows 20 000 Sentinels, 20 000 Vsharrack, and 10 000 Pulsars, it means that the Xan probably just sent all of his Fighters to defend against you.
11) MAKE A DECISION: If the defence looks like its overwhelming, and you've unit scanned the defenders and it looks like they have too much defence; RECALL! DO NOT LAND ANYWAY as you'll just die. Keeping your fleet alive is vital for your planet's success - saving fleet is more important than saving asteroids. Cathaars and Xandathrii have far more brittle ships, so landing on defence is more difficult for them than to Terrans and Zikonians - but the idea is there: If your target is Covered, the Attack is Foiled.

Now, there are some finer points to attack and defence, such as determining fake defence, checking to make sure your target doesnt build ships before you land, and so on. More advanced fleet strategies are outlined in This Thread. But the above is a good, comprehensive guide to attacking - Take Heed.

Please feel free to point out any flaws, or different methods.

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 7 Jan 2006 at 06:38. Reason: Updating for R14 :D
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2005, 18:28   #2
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: How NOT to attack (esp for Caths)

If you are going to post an idiots guide to roiding, at least explain what JGP and such terms means.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2005, 19:01   #3
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Do you think that such people are gonna read this thread UltimateNewbie? Doubt it, but it's a noble gesture to write this.

BTW I disagree with point 7. People who are not capable (yet) of building nice attackfleets, often miss the activity to launch on the most profitable times. It's a risk of getting counterattacked while being offline ofcourse, but then again, their targets won't be very active either, most likely.

I lately missed step 11 Or actually, part of it. I scanned on eta 3 (sure me for not being online on eta 4 ), saw defence, unitscanned defenders and deducted their defence (in this case some corsairs and 2 guys sending scarabs). I calced it, and the roids were a tad too expensive for my taste ( 3 cruisers / roid, target being 150% my value, so decent XP). I decided to pull, but it was just tickingtime, so impossible...

Boss came by, gave me something new to do, and forgot to pull

XP barely made up for the value loss
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 03:13   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
If you are going to post an idiots guide to roiding, at least explain what JGP and such terms means.
That is true. Next project: newbie glossary? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
Do you think that such people are gonna read this thread UltimateNewbie? Doubt it, but it's a noble gesture to write this.
Cheers. But even if very few people who need it can read it, now, everyone has a resource that they can give a player who asks for help, and might also be good to spam at all the new players in your galaxy (like i did with Xan fleet composition) etc etc.
Unread 20 May 2005, 14:03   #5
baby

baby is infamous around these partsbaby is infamous around these parts

Yes and he actually did spam all Xan's with it
baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2005, 12:21   #6
rnd|One
100% irresistible

rnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura about

For a general overview on military strategies alch wrote a guide somewhile back, which is now available at http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...ary_strategies . It's somewhat rough around the edges still (feel free to kill the typos!).
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 15:02   #7
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road

Nice post, Well done. :-)

Unread 20 Aug 2005, 23:21   #8
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Would love to see some threads about defending :P
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 15:16   #9
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
its just a tad more complicated though, get your attacks down first then you can talk about defence, not to mention running an alliance
Unread 7 Nov 2005, 18:54   #10
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I have a few tricks up my sleeve especially with ingal deffing
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 05:05   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

There is already the makings of a defending guide on the Pawiki. Fyi .
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 19:12   #12
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
my particular strategy for last round was pretty good. It involves no manuals, no technical fine tuning, infact it requires no more than a semi-brain dead player with medium too low social skills

it consisted of copying and pasting my GC, waiting for a few minutes with a few hassleing messages such as "come on pais, i've got internet games too play here", "come on pais i'm bored", "come on pais, i'm tired", "are we there yet pais"
and then sending what he said, then re-launching with the correct ships.
It's highly rewarding !
Ah the memories
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote