User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 3 Aug 2004, 14:48   #1
kilroy

kilroy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Question for 1up

Just a short 1 can some 1 from 1up tell me why almost all 1up planets lets say (95%) are xan?

Only 3 simple answers pick 1:

A: Sid have helped to make the stats and there for did know exactly what rase was best.
B: Its was just a random pick and every 1 picked XAN.
C non above

best regards kilroy
kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:10   #2
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Question for 1up

well its certainly not that high, but, it is a high amount.

My thinking:

41% of uni is currently terran and 26% xan.

The majority of new players are terran, (as it sugegst it on sign up page).
That evens things up a bit.

Now, a lot of ppl in 1up are 'top players', therfir delieberetly dont go terran, as its the 'newbie race', and there is not too much killing in cath/zik. That is how i would explain it.

And i can assure u, being a high percentage of 1 race isnt a good idea, and Sid certainly would never of allowed it had he any say on what races ppl were doing.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:18   #3
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

the beta was public once, so most had a chance to see for themselves which race was the best.. go figure
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:23   #4
Gunn3r

Gunn3r is an unknown quantity at this point

it's a conspiracy!
Gunn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:36   #5
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
the beta was public once, so most had a chance to see for themselves which race was the best.. go figure
So there is not a difference betweeen making the stats (to even see the numbers behind it all), and a public beta?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:42   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i'm going to be controversial here and say something i probably shouldn't

Pa Team and jolt have heard various complaints about alliance hcs producing stats, beucase although the stats are public, creating them has to give u an advantage in that you coudl design them so that there were some very goos strategies which are not immeidatly obvious, however I once had a conversation with forest about an amazing strategy for combined zik/cath attacks - it was going to be pretty unstoppable - so why then would all of 1up suppposedly be xan when u can do some pretty awesome things with zik/cath. The simple answer is that there is no way of really knowing whether 1up gained an advantage or not, but it would probably be a good idea in the future to have a neutral party designing the stats, or to even have some involvement of the community as a whole - after all round 12 stats will just be tweaks, not all new so there is less of a game security issue etc.

anyway i'll shut up now and go back to pretending to do work

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:55   #7
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Well I guess many in 1up thought like me. I picked Xan simply be course so many in the oposing alliances had chosen Terran and if you couldnt see, by looking at the stats, that xan would own Terrans then you can hardly blaim that on anyone but yourself.

If there were more xans, I would probably chose Cath.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:32   #8
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Arent these arguably the best set of stats ever in pa?
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:32   #9
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
So there is not a difference betweeen making the stats (to even see the numbers behind it all), and a public beta?
What "numbers behind it all"? All the numbers were made public before the public beta. I had no input into, or advance knowledge of, the final set of changes made after the public beta.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:35   #10
Forest

Also, to talk about Kal's point, although sid made most of the original stat, it was looked at in a closed party beta by hc of several alliance hc (RealJames of Mistu will confirm).

In addition, sid was completely open in which races are weak against which (they were designed so every race was strong against another), and he posted in beta/on these boards about it several times.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:40   #11
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

the lines of the threadstarter contain the most bullshit i ever read. atleast this threads reaches the top 10 - and its not even funny
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:55   #12
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
i feel r10 stats were better, but then again, less complicated.
i liked r10 style infact :\ this round was almost too retro

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:02   #13
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

xan are the best race, it's not hard to work out if you take a look at the stats.

they chose it

no problem there
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:14   #14
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

hi Elroy, how is retirement?

dont be bitter and try to remember what happened last round. you're mistu right?
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:21   #15
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

if we cant blame sid for exploiting "secret stats" etc etc, lets just blame him for making it unbalanced so that xan would pwn any other race? :P

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:31   #16
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
The simple answer is that there is no way of really knowing whether 1up gained an advantage or not, but it would probably be a good idea in the future to have a neutral party designing the stats, or to even have some involvement of the community as a whole - after all round 12 stats will just be tweaks, not all new so there is less of a game security issue etc.

How on earth can any claim be made about such a thing? It's not remotely possible for Sid to have made some stats secret. Considering there were representatives from most alliances in the beta AND the fact there was a PUBLIC beta really blows such conspiracy theories away.

If anyone is best to continue on with stats, then Sid would be a logical choice. He had aims with the stats he designed and after a full proper round has been able to pick up on the nuances that don't show in a beta.

Additionally, who counts as 'neutral' nowadays?

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 18:06   #17
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
if we cant blame sid for exploiting "secret stats" etc etc, lets just blame him for making it unbalanced so that xan would pwn any other race? :P
Xan only "pwns" Terran.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 18:08   #18
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
They do?

Damn - I'll have to give all those roids back

My xan ships have been modified for stun capabilities.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 18:09   #19
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

It was close to impossible with to try and hide any kind of strategy with the old style stats, with these new stats it is actually impossible.
If xan was so hiddenly superior why didn't all of 1up go xan?
If you couldn't see from the stats from the start off xan would be dominant in a 50%+ terran universe it's your own fault, not Sid's.
Also to my knowlegde Sid wasn't alone in making the stats, other HCs and PATeam was also involved.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 19:04   #20
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
What "numbers behind it all"? All the numbers were made public before the public beta. I had no input into, or advance knowledge of, the final set of changes made after the public beta.
My fault. Hadnt checked that the new stats was open (ie all the numbers were there instead of "good" etc).
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 20:43   #21
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy
all 1up planets lets say (95%) are xan?

wrong........

i know at least 5 members that aren't xan
BoredOfThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 20:46   #22
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
I don't think these stats are da bomb. I think we have seen better stats in earlier rounds. Could be just my view. On alliance boards there always pointers for people which race they should choose. Ofcourse it's a bit strange that the creator of the stats is the same man as the man who prolly gives pointers.. Fact remains, every alliance could have seen the advantage of Xan...
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 20:54   #23
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
My fault. Hadnt checked that the new stats was open (ie all the numbers were there instead of "good" etc).
Zhukov in not checking the facts before posting shocker!

btw, Xan has always been the best race in random rounds - r8 and r9.5 were both won by alliances with a high concentration of Xans. Low initiative + high firepower + low ETA are the perfect combination for random rounds.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 21:40   #24
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Yes, its clearly Sids fault.

Especially when you note that two of the three changes to Terrans between the beta and real round (which, afaik, were made completely without Sids input) made Terrans slightly weaker against xans...

HARPY now arm 13 / dam 8 (was 14/9) <-- less useful defending vs fi attacks
MINOTOR (terpod2) now arm 90 (was 100) <- more losses attacking pulsars
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 22:26   #25
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Everyone in the beta could see xan was a superb race, especially after people said they were too weak and were spiced up a bit during that beta. I must say I adviced a lot of our members who doubted to go xan too, so what? The stats are public, everyone could see them, whether you designed them or not.

And besides, you are about doubling the numbers of xan planets in 1up Kilroy.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 14:44   #26
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold

Someone please explain the Sentinel then????????????

I chose Xan on the basis that I enjoyed playing it in r8 - I didnt even know the stats by the time id made this decision... after making it, Sid actually told me it prolly would have been better to go Zik to start out (I started 3 weeks late into the round....).

Cath and Zik can both roid xans with much ease, as xan is very weak against cr (and fr to a lesser extent )
________
Silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 22:16.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 17:46   #27
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy
Just a short 1 can some 1 from 1up tell me why almost all 1up planets lets say (95%) are xan?

Only 3 simple answers pick 1:

A: Sid have helped to make the stats and there for did know exactly what rase was best.
B: Its was just a random pick and every 1 picked XAN.
C non above

best regards kilroy
Sid ordered most of us to go xan or we would be kicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 18:03   #28
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath
Sid ordered most of us to go xan or we would be kicked
Isn't that relieving? Finally being able to talk about it. It's not good when you crop up everything

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 18:03   #29
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it odd that someone is going to sit here and complain about being out played at a game in which they have to make up some crazy thing about a 'secret stat'. 1up planned better, attacked better and pretty much did everything better then any other alliance in the universe. Sure it doesn't hurt they have 100 members but in the end even that doesn't matter. They cover every defense needed and still own galaxies every night. They're better then you just accept it. I'm in a very good alliance that gets hit by 1up. It frustrates me to death but I look at their attacks and I have to applaud. I mean planning a waved attack for three to four ticks straight on a whole galaxy? That is so perfect that they take into account everything needed to be? Come on man you have to applaud them for that. 1up is better then you, better then the rest of us this round. Next round, try and beat'm. That's what I'll do.

As for the rest of it and Sid exploiting some secret stat, I think that has been covered already. It is an excuse to make you feel better about being out played. 1up is the better alliance this round and they might be next round as well but don't just sit there and complain and whine about it. Do something about it like actually trying to take them on. "They're too big!", that is what you want to say, right? Are they? So they average 3-4 mill per planet. You think they didn't work for that? They aren't any bigger in the long run then the next person they just knew how to do what they were doing and they did it better then the rest of us. You can beat them you just have to be willing to lose ships in the process. That is peoples problems. You have to be willing to give something to gain it. Sure you don't want to lose 10k in ship value for 2k in roid value but in the end if you lose 10k ship value, the guy your attacking looses over 100k in value and you walk away with 2-4k in roid value is it a loss? In a combined attack or by yourself? You just whupped the guy and that's that.

1up can be attacked, they can be beat. You just have to be willing to deal with the anvil that follows. I suppose that's all from me but I can tell you one thing, 1up ain't the bad guy in the end. They busted hump to get where they are, they deserve your praise not your whining.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:42   #30
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
Zhukov in not checking the facts before posting shocker!

btw, Xan has always been the best race in random rounds - r8 and r9.5 were both won by alliances with a high concentration of Xans. Low initiative + high firepower + low ETA are the perfect combination for random rounds.
If I had checked, I wouldnt have asked, would I? Thats why I asked, and admited I was wrong.
(You should try it once, for instance in the politics thread were Lokken is owning you in every sence, to admit your wrong )

What you wrote about random rounds, I totally agree too.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 20:42   #31
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

totally unrelated to the silly accusations it would indeed be interesting to hear what total %
have been choosen from the players.
How many signups for each race and how this weight is deployed over the top5-10 alliances.
Since its end of round it might be an interesting feature to add for the public (as i know most alliances have this data internally already, atleast for the active playing part of the universe).

Disclaimer: i only checked pilkara so far, so if this information is publically available anywhere else just gimme a link.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 21:26   #32
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Sandmans has a race stat here: http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=racestats

It would be interesting to know the numbers of each top 10 ally tho.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 23:49   #33
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

tbh, I doubt that entire 1up decided to go XAN. Even a noob like me chose to play XAN, and I never played a single beta. Tbh there's no excuse if you think you chose the wrong race and 1up nor Sid got anything to do with it.

Tbh these accusations are abit pathetic. But so are alot of things lately so continue ...

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 00:19   #34
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Well.. I picked xan, so I can't complain really Xan is overpowered.. fools said terran were at start of round
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 02:39   #35
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

actually, after looking, Zik is the dominant race. But Xan is dominant over Terran. Thus XAN being the race to be because more targets, for minimal losses. If people chose ZIk or XAN they were smart. If they choose terran they were short sighted. And if you choose cath, you were not trying to win.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 03:11   #36
McIvan
BlueTuba

McIvan is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I looked at it was this:

During beta, it seemed like the Terrans were performing the best, although in retrospect it was more a case that they had the more survivable fleets while asleep.

So, thinking that a lot of people would choose Terran based on the beta, I chose Xan. I think quite a lot of people did the same.

A lor of people DID choose Terran, for whatever reason, so it has worked out well.

McIvan
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 13:35   #37
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
actually, after looking, Zik is the dominant race. But Xan is dominant over Terran. Thus XAN being the race to be because more targets, for minimal losses. If people chose ZIk or XAN they were smart. If they choose terran they were short sighted. And if you choose cath, you were not trying to win.
n00b

cath > * :P

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 14:35   #38
Dinobot
Former [1up] Hustler

Dinobot is an unknown quantity at this point

Idd

Cath > *

Anyone with enough foresight could see with 40% of the universe going Terran the race that is best suited towards taking out Terran will be most dominant... and the race best suited to take out the most dominant > *

Xan rapes Terran, Cath rapes Xan - nuff said

"Those of us who are truly brave, will never live in fear."
Dwayne Johnson

Loved the extra life with [1up]
Honoured to have walked the dark path with Eclipse,
Proud to have been Xanadu,
But my heart will always be with Ministry
Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 17:39   #39
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

tbh saying 95% is utter BS ... heh:S and everyone here knows it. if 1up had 95% xan we'd be the easiest targets anywhere... as we basically would be shit.

now as for my personal choice of race... i tend to think terran is just taking the easy way... (note i never know anything about stats and just have a simple rule of more ships kill more.) cath is basically lame... without killing enemies there isn't much fun. so i wanted to go zik, however seeing as i was in gal with forest (yes i am still regretting that.) he pushed for him to go zik as he already played it once in pax... so i let him go zik and went xan myself so we could cover each other better...

i've NEVER EVER heard sid say we should go xan. it all depends on how you play

and tbh i didn't even know what fleet to build at all when i started playing this game... i want my old fi/co fleet back for xans with which i could pwn everyone. i miss them
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 05:24   #40
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
Yeah.. perhaps.. but zik/cath are easy prey for terran de, so without a good gal, any zik/cath wouldn't get very big. If zik had better de protection i would consider them. =)

So zik should own xan.. but since terran owns zik and since there are way more terrans then zik.. the zik becomes extinct and xan have no natural enemy :P
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:39   #41
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

zik has one of the best anti de in the game((

cutters rock in high numbers ofc... you can raid xans with lancers with it soooo easily
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:57   #42
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Roach > *

Apart from Viper, which are teh win

Quote:
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:14   #43
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
Roach > *

Apart from Viper, which are teh win
you evil cath lover

it's too bad that more people didn't go cath

Quote:
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:23   #44
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Nice flamebait.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 17:58   #45
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

Huhmmmm.... to let an alliance HC or something design the ship stats is a really bad idea to say the least. Ok, so they were open,and everyone had the same access to them and the beta so 1up really didnt have any advantage compared to others. But its more a matter of principle and other people in other scenarios may very well have taken advantage of the situation.

Myself I signed up 2 weeks late and had no idea about the races... wish I had taken some time to look at the stats or asked people about them cause now Im stuck with beeing cath. Since Im in a fairly inactive gal and not in any top 5 alliance and gotten some planet naps to others it means I now have 3-6 waves of incs every bloody night. Ters, Ziks and Caths looking for a random target pick caths like me. Xans are also able to attack me for no losses if they want to. So thats 3 races picking on me as a random target, while Xans also would easily take me but thats mainly happens in gal attacks.

Anyway, can someone tell me why Xans should be able to attack terrans for no ship losses? This was one major point of beeing cath (not talking about terrans here, but attacks in general), and now they can do just the same. Only they have the major advantage of killing ships... to me they are now a super-edition of Caths. Plus they dont get nearly as much incs as they are the last choice of race to attack, except for Caths that go Viper heavy. (unless they didnt build any fireblades as anti-fi ofc...)

So yes, a major tweak in ship stats is needed. Everyone are picking on Caths/Ziks except for Xans.. who easily could, but they get to pick on terrans by themselves. So saying that the ship stats would be nice if the races were equally distributed would be very wrong. Caths need to be more overpowered, we need more firepower and well, only the scarabs have any need for armour really, so you can take away some of that if you have to... I dont know for Ziks but they're in deep shit atm too... while Xans just enjoy the good life.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 18:33   #46
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

i was typing a reply to that Phant and lost it bah, cba to retype it

Quote:
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 19:19   #47
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats ok, Im sure you agreed 100% anyway

I did come up with another thing though... I guess there arent many capable of making decent stats out there (?)
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 19:48   #48
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally like being Zik. Cutters are a great anti-de ship. The only true downside to Zik is they don't kill anything and when they sub something they don't have enough power to do it on the level that other races can kill.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 20:54   #49
Synthetic_Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phant
Huhmmmm.... to let an alliance HC or something design the ship stats is a really bad idea to say the least. Ok, so they were open,and everyone had the same access to them and the beta so 1up really didnt have any advantage compared to others. But its more a matter of principle and other people in other scenarios may very well have taken advantage of the situation.

Myself I signed up 2 weeks late and had no idea about the races... wish I had taken some time to look at the stats or asked people about them cause now Im stuck with beeing cath. Since Im in a fairly inactive gal and not in any top 5 alliance and gotten some planet naps to others it means I now have 3-6 waves of incs every bloody night. Ters, Ziks and Caths looking for a random target pick caths like me. Xans are also able to attack me for no losses if they want to. So thats 3 races picking on me as a random target, while Xans also would easily take me but thats mainly happens in gal attacks.

Anyway, can someone tell me why Xans should be able to attack terrans for no ship losses? This was one major point of beeing cath (not talking about terrans here, but attacks in general), and now they can do just the same. Only they have the major advantage of killing ships... to me they are now a super-edition of Caths. Plus they dont get nearly as much incs as they are the last choice of race to attack, except for Caths that go Viper heavy. (unless they didnt build any fireblades as anti-fi ofc...)

So yes, a major tweak in ship stats is needed. Everyone are picking on Caths/Ziks except for Xans.. who easily could, but they get to pick on terrans by themselves. So saying that the ship stats would be nice if the races were equally distributed would be very wrong. Caths need to be more overpowered, we need more firepower and well, only the scarabs have any need for armour really, so you can take away some of that if you have to... I dont know for Ziks but they're in deep shit atm too... while Xans just enjoy the good life.
Caths can attack xans for no ship-loss. Your problem isn't that your race sucks, it's that your galaxy (and alliance?) suck. Joining PA late and being in a weak a galaxy has always been a recipe for wall-to-wall inbound - no tinkering with ship-stats would change that.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 21:40   #50
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
Caths can attack xans for no ship-loss. Your problem isn't that your race sucks, it's that your galaxy (and alliance?) suck. Joining PA late and being in a weak a galaxy has always been a recipe for wall-to-wall inbound - no tinkering with ship-stats would change that.

i think we had this discussion before. Yes Cathaars can easily attack Xans, given they know what they need for it. Point however is that CR def is so easy to come by and eta 9 anti-FR opens a few more interesting options aswell its nearly impossible to get a attack landed unless you are lucky that you caught them of guard (hooray for eta 9 incoming..)