User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Oct 2005, 14:09   #1
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Only 1 speedgame?

Is there going to be only one Speedgame in this between round break or can we have a series of them, mainly to give Kloopy more time for bug iron outs etc?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 15:53   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Only 1 speedgame?

i -think- that was answered in the CH. i believe their plan is to have more then one of them once the round is running, as they'll have the server they're currently beta testing on to run the speedgames, and if they wanted to they could make the portal server run a game as well ( though there are complications i wont go into regarding that ). So in theory they could have three games running in parallel, more if there are any new servers i have forgotten about or if they get a way to run multiple games on the same server going
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 18:22   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The portal server won't be running games in the near future, but basically what Phil said :-)
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 10:25   #4
Igloo

Igloo is on a distinguished road

you could run multiple games on one server, just open another port, install game files, make some minor changes so that the game engines don't clash, and then you have 2 games on the same server.

(it would be nice to get some live stats for the game server load so you can monitor when high usage is, it might be an idea to run the ticker for the second game on the main server 30 mins past, so that it doesnt slow down (during the hour, there is one time for high cpu usage, TICK TIME ).

But there might be something i have missed :P
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 10:45   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

you would need to have the ticks at different times yes, but also the db backups at different times - so then you would get 4 slow periods during a normal game tick, which I think would be unaceptable performance.

back to speedgames though - this one is being run becuase we have the opportunity to give prizes in it - there isn't time to tun anymore before round 15 - certainly not on the main server anyway.

its possible we could do something while signups are open on the other server, but we may still need that on standby in case any bugs are reported in the early days etc.

During the round itself though, who knows what fun things could happen.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 14:31   #6
Igloo

thats true Kal, but with the new server, ticks take seconds not minuites, and backups take short time too (i forgot what Kloopy said the time was).

I think that the PA round 10 - 14 code should be released. So if people want to unofficialy play a speed game between rounds they can on their own servers.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 14:33   #7
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The code won't be released.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 14:55   #8
Igloo

that seems deffinate there Appocomaster.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 15:20   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igloo
that seems deffinate there Appocomaster.
it should be, the code is not going to be made available at all, and understandably so. pa-x code is superior in gameplay terms to the other pre-pa-x clones out there, as testified on another thread on pd.
i cant see jolt wanting to improve the games of its competitors
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 15:23   #10
Igloo

heh fairy snuff
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 15:41   #11
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

*ponders why Igloo even fancied his chances asking*
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 22:05   #12
madman2k30III

madman2k30III can only hope to improve

i wud love to getmy hands on round 11 code and set up a unofficial tournie but that would never happen unless i learnt how to hack into the game and steal the code

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[F-Crew]
You know when you've been [FC]ucked

madman2k30III is offline   Reply With Quote