User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:50   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Bus Fares

What's the typical bus fare(s) you are charged with?

Child is 40p (single) and day-pass is £1 & weekly pass is £4 - people who are 16/17 can get a child weekly/monthly rate if they have a 16/17 bus-pass.

Adult is £1.20 now (used to be 70p then £1...), day pass is £3 and weekly pass I have no idea.

My point is, why do they keep on increasing? Adults are being charged more and more (I qualify for an adult but I get away with child fare as I use the 25-bus machine ticket system box outside my house which is foolable - unless a bus ticket guy comes on heh...) and I don't see the benefits - I also don't understand why 16-17 year olds in full education - even 18 year olds can't have child fares. Under the NHS, you're entitled to free treatment if you're 18 and still in full education. I don't see why the same approach cannot be applied to bus & train fares. It's a bloody fortune and I'm annoyed.

What are your rates if you have any?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:54   #2
Dreadnought FTW
Somewhere in Curse

Dreadnought FTW has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Bus Fares

in Aber its 40p to anywhere with a nus card or 55p for adults to anywhere and for OAP's its free anywhere

Its subisdies by ceredigion county council.

There are also free park and ride services to the hospital and stuff and also a free and always late and overfilled student service from town and the other campus to the main campus

hence why i love the car
Dreadnought FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:55   #3
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

well since i travel around alot i tend to buy the all week pass which is £18 and i can go on any Arriva bus i like as much as i like...and since the main bus opperator in County Durham is arriva im pretty much sorted

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:56   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

When I used to get the bus to school the most I had to pay (before I was driving - yay!) was around a £4.50-5 a day. All because you couldn't get a return before 9am and they didn't do weeklys.

The sad thing is the journey is only 8miles either way. So I was paying a fiver for less than 20 miles on a crappy public transport service - great.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 12:59   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
well since i travel around alot i tend to buy the all week pass which is £18 and i can go on any Arriva bus i like as much as i like...and since the main bus opperator in County Durham is arriva im pretty much sorted
Most of the bus stops in Co. Durham don't have the bus times on them.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:00   #6
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

they do normally (unless the charvs boot the signs down in a drunken cider rage)

either way ive pretty much memorised the times of the busses i need and where to go to get them

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:01   #7
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

2€ signle (like 2h)
5.40€ day
24.30 7-day

fkn thieves

oh and my university doesn't get any student-tickets cause they couldn't settle for a reasonable price... i can already see myself getting run down by a bike
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:06   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To travel from my hosue into nottingham by bus, on the rare occasions I consent to getting ripped off like that, costs £1.80 for a single. Which is frankly rediculous - it works out at about £0.35 per mile.

I was in fact so pissed off by this that I sat down and worked out which was cheaper - the bus or my car.
For the car, I included the cost of petrol, the cost of insurance, and the cost of purchasing the car. That's actually doing a big favour to the bus, because much of the cost of purchasing the car is got back on sale but I didn't have any reliable depreciation figures available.

The car still came in at £0.28 per mile.

And you wonder why no-one uses public transport, Mr Blair!
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:07   #9
Mek
InSomniac

but its not blairs fault...the bus companys control the bus prices...blame them

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:19   #10
Dreadnought FTW
Somewhere in Curse

Dreadnought FTW has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
I blame Blair
Dreadnought FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:24   #11
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

From my house to work is either £1.80 if I'm just going one way and can get the damn bus driver to understand that - which isnt easy, I work right by the Park and ride car park, but live in the city centre so I go 'the wrong way'/ If I'm going both ways I can get a Day Rider (guess who's in a stagecoach area) for £2.50. Its annoying cause if youre going the normal way on the park and ride its only £1.80 for both ways, and your car parking is free, but cause theyre only valid for one day I cant just get one of those and use it to go home and back to work the next day. There are weekly tickets for £9 as well if I'm going to be using the bus a lot.

I bike it now though. Its actually faster than the bus cause I have to walk 10 mins the opposite direction to reach the nearest stop. Its only a 15-20 min cycle, and Cambridge is flat, so it doesnt kill me. Plus when I do get the bus I have to catch the first one of the morning if I am on an early shift, and this worries me in case it doesnt show, cause the next one isnt for ages.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:43   #12
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

The rare occasion I use the bus it costs me 60p to travel to uni which is about 2 miles, it then increases to roughly 90p if you travel between two zones, £1.50 for three and a daycard is around £2.50. The student union runs free buses from there to all the halls of residence as well.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 13:53   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

From my house in Sheffield to the uni (mile-ish the way the bus goes) or anywhere in town (up to 3miles-ish) is £0.90 or £1.10 I think depending on which bus company you use (there are 2 - First are 'expensive', Yorkshire Terrier cheaper). I day ticket I think costs £2.50-ish although this might be a bit less. A week ticket costs £8 for students £10 for others. Although there seems to be slight tinkering in the prices all the time.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 14:20   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

From my house to uni (or anywhere on a bus in coventry) it's 90p, or £2.20 for a day-saver which can be used as many times as you like in one day.
I have a bus-pass though, which works out at about 40p a journey for me, and means I don't have to worry about having exact change...
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 14:24   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

80p flat fare in Ed, £1.80 for an off-peak (after 9am) day ticket that gives unlimited travel until midnight.

Anything from 60p to £1.50 in Liverpool, costs me £1.45 to get from my house to the pub 20 minutes away.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 14:28   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek

wow, another county durham blokie! where you from?
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 14:48   #17
Mek
InSomniac

Ferryhill...altho i practically live in Durham City

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 14:56   #18
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

heh, from bishop, havent been to durham in a while since MRL moved away
you will have to come along on me and skiddys next night out
(warning, it may scare the hell out of you though hehehe)
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 15:09   #19
Mek
InSomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
heh, from bishop, havent been to durham in a while since MRL moved away
you will have to come along on me and skiddys next night out
(warning, it may scare the hell out of you though hehehe)
lol...were u guys go....am intrigued...need info :P

Unread 11 Jan 2005, 15:38   #20
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Bus Fares

£1.20 from Ardoyne to Belfast city centre; not a service I'd use though.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:09   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In Exeter my NUS card used to get me discounted fares, now it does ****-all.

Which really pisses me off, as I have to get the bus to the town where I'm teaching. £4.00 return for a 15 minute journey there and back?! That adds up to £20 a week, and £80 a month on sodding bus fares.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:17   #22
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
In Exeter my NUS card used to get me discounted fares, now it does ****-all.

Which really pisses me off, as I have to get the bus to the town where I'm teaching. £4.00 return for a 15 minute journey there and back?! That adds up to £20 a week, and £80 a month on sodding bus fares.
One would assume your £6,000 a year (or whatever it is) is to go towards things like these? Not to mention the cancelling of your loan (or have I completely made this up?)
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:17   #23
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

in Canterbury its £1.25 single, £2 return, £50 for a term, or a £100 for all three terms.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:28   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
One would assume your £6,000 a year (or whatever it is) is to go towards things like these? Not to mention the cancelling of your loan (or have I completely made this up?)

Yeah, I get £6000 over 10 months or so.

Tuition fees cost £6000.
Accommodation is about £3000
Plus general living expenses, food etc.

I don't get a loan, as I'm from Jersey. I get a grant (which almost covers my tuition fees).
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:41   #25
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
You're wrong actually, especially in London. Mayor of London sets the prices across London and Ken was power-given by Tony Blair so he's at fault here. Across the country, the bus companies have to talk with ministers.
----------retired-------
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:45   #26
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

60p to go anywhere on the bus network, which is maybe 5-7 miles either way.

Back in Glasgow the bus prices where ridiculous, like 87p,97P fares and no change given . all day travel tickets where about £2.20 or so

Compared to a taxi it never seemed to be as good value, a cab could get me home in about 10-15 minutes with the lights and a bus could do it about 30-60 minutes plus you get smothered in scum or schoolkids
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 16:49   #27
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
What's the typical bus fare(s) you are charged with?

Child is 40p (single) and day-pass is £1 & weekly pass is £4 - people who are 16/17 can get a child weekly/monthly rate if they have a 16/17 bus-pass.

Adult is £1.20 now (used to be 70p then £1...), day pass is £3 and weekly pass I have no idea.

My point is, why do they keep on increasing? Adults are being charged more and more (I qualify for an adult but I get away with child fare as I use the 25-bus machine ticket system box outside my house which is foolable - unless a bus ticket guy comes on heh...) and I don't see the benefits - I also don't understand why 16-17 year olds in full education - even 18 year olds can't have child fares. Under the NHS, you're entitled to free treatment if you're 18 and still in full education. I don't see why the same approach cannot be applied to bus & train fares. It's a bloody fortune and I'm annoyed.

What are your rates if you have any?
ITT , Androme fails miserably to comprehend the two headed beast that is Capitalism and Inflation.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 17:15   #28
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Bus Fares

Bus fares are $1.75 here (one way; $1.25 for non-rush hour). Mass transit is also a state protected monopoly and is partially subsidized by the taxpayers, so there's little incentive for fares to go down.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 17:26   #29
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
lol...were u guys go....am intrigued...need info :P

we go out in durham or newcastle occationally, haven't in a while though
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 18:42   #30
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
ITT , Androme fails miserably to comprehend the two headed beast that is Capitalism and Inflation.
ITT, Kurashima talks to me as if I have actually studied Economics/Business

infact

ITT, Kurashima sheds a few pounds to make way for a bus ticket.
----------retired-------
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 18:48   #31
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I get free bus passes(to cover all year apart from easter/xmas/summer holidays :/) from the council for being a student who living 3miles away from his school
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 19:24   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
My point is, why do they keep on increasing?
Because the service is continually improving. Seriously, if you compare London buses to how they were 10 years ago there has been a dramatic improvement. Especially with regards to night buses.

There are various conspriacy theories that they're trying to get everyone to use travelcards / oyster cards (for various reasons). If you're 16/17 you can get cheaper travelcards, as you can also do if you are in full-time education. So basically what you're asking for is already (partially) in place.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 19:55   #33
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

£1.55 each way for a 10 mile trip
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 20:47   #34
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

the last time i caught a bus from my house to southampton it cost me nearly £5. However, since i have to catch the bus to college everyday (although hopefully, not after tomorrow ) i now have a bus pass, which costs about £300 for the year
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 21:57   #35
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Because the service is continually improving. Seriously, if you compare London buses to how they were 10 years ago there has been a dramatic improvement. Especially with regards to night buses.
Look, they aren't better - seriously. For example, so many people leech on the no. 25 bus which is free basically as ticket inspectors never go leaving most of the other buses that head in a similar direction (147, 86 etc.) all being..well...empty... n i stil have to pay as I don't have my bus pass or passport or anything fs
----------retired-------
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 22:09   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Look, they aren't better - seriously.
There are more buses serving more routes at better frequencies. Yes, there are some problems obviously (there always is) but overall the picture is better. If you use a bus regularly get a bus pass. If you use a bus for long distances ocassionally then £1.20 isn't that bad. If you use a bus for short distances ocassionally then walk.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 22:13   #37
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

my daily train fare just increased by an ASTONISHING 5p
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 23:17   #38
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
There are more buses serving more routes at better frequencies. Yes, there are some problems obviously (there always is) but overall the picture is better. If you use a bus regularly get a bus pass. If you use a bus for long distances ocassionally then £1.20 isn't that bad. If you use a bus for short distances ocassionally then walk.
The fact is, East London isn't that rich, and my family itself isn't that rich either. Due to the faggy long time of the train, I'm now taking 3 bus journeys everyday to get home and I do walk to and from stops. If you were in the part of East London I was on you would undoubtedly get the picture that while this side of London is paying the increased taxes, THERE ARE NO IMPROVEMENTS - the only one people can see is a free bus ride on the 25 - but for the many that aren't on it's route - that's unfair. The increases are going towards paying for those that don't deserve to. Getting a bus pass is not an easy option and if I can get one it's costly.
----------retired-------
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 23:27   #39
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For the first 349.6 metres or 75.2 seconds (whichever is reached first) there is a minimum charge of £2.00;
For each additional 174.8 metres or 37.6 seconds (whichever is reached first), or part thereof, if the fare is less than £12.80 (excluding extras) there is a charge of 20p;
Once the fare is £12.80 or greater (excluding extras) there is a charge of 20p for each additional 122.5 metres or 26.3 seconds (whichever is reached first), or part thereof.
Yahwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 00:06   #40
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
The fact is, East London isn't that rich, and my family itself isn't that rich either. Due to the faggy long time of the train, I'm now taking 3 bus journeys everyday to get home and I do walk to and from stops. If you were in the part of East London I was on you would undoubtedly get the picture that while this side of London is paying the increased taxes, THERE ARE NO IMPROVEMENTS - the only one people can see is a free bus ride on the 25 - but for the many that aren't on it's route - that's unfair. The increases are going towards paying for those that don't deserve to. Getting a bus pass is not an easy option and if I can get one it's costly.
My guess is you live between Stratford and Ilford.

But seriously, London buses have improved. The only thing I see bad is the bendy buses which get overcrowded very easily (which is worse than the Central line during the morning peak rush hour). The buses in my area (Shoreditch/Liverpool Street Stn area(note this is also East London)) has improved over the last 6 years. They're cleaner, more of them on the roads (I don't have to wait that long for a bus) they've added like 3-4 new routes (one which runs on the street outside my house so I don't have to walk that far for a bus stop) and there's more night buses than ever.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 01:34   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Getting a bus pass is not an easy option and if I can get one it's costly.
For a weekly bus pass it is £11. For a monthly pass it is £42.

For a pass available to students in full time education (which you are, I presume) the weekly is £7.70 and the monthly price drops to £29.60 - less than one pound per day.

Unless you are in a no-income household one pound per day does not strike me as unreasonable. If this is the case then there is generally extra assistance you can obtain from the local authority.

Of course if you are 16 or 17 then you can get a bus pass at child rate (if you get a 16-17 Photocard as you mentioned) meaning for a monthly pass you would only have to pay £15.40 which is staggering value imho.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 01:37   #42
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
For a weekly bus pass it is £11. For a monthly pass it is £42.

For a pass available to students in full time education (which you are, I presume) the weekly is £7.70 and the monthly price drops to £29.60 - less than one pound per day.
It's £11.50 for a weekly bus pass (adult) and £7.20 a week for students.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 01:39   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
It's £11.50 for a weekly bus pass (adult) and £7.20 a week for students.
That's not what they say here : http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...bus-pass.shtml

Although that could be wrong. My travel card cost £800+ and my new one may cost in excess of £1500 so I'm no expert on bus only travel passes...
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 11:42   #44
Blastoderm
________

Well then, I've got it wrong. I just double checked it with my local newsagent.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 12:03   #45
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the bus prices in manc are comically different, an adult single will be somewhere between 50p and 1.20, except after midnight when they are all at least £1.

they do have weekly passes for £2 on specific buses however, and you can use them for much longer than a week anyway, just so long as you don't actually get a driver who checks it. When one of them DOES check it they confiscate it though
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 12:28   #46
roadrunner_0
cynic

go to LOVE the magic buses in manchester though