User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 18:45   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
horror "assemble your computer" havoc tales

well i have been buying stuff to assemble my own pc for the last six months, because im a poor ****, and today the day has come.
however, As i was inserting the motherboard in the case, i failed to see that i was actually squeezing a capacitor agaisnt the case. When i noticed that, i quickly removed the MB and pulled the capacitor back to his place. It would all be good if i hadnt done it so quickly. The capacitor´s link to the MB felt quite weak, and i think it is on the brink of falling off the MB =(
I am going to assemble the rest of it tonite and i will keep you informed.

While im at work, and clearly not able to assemble the pc, amuse me with your own computer screwups
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 18:55   #2
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Re: horror "assemble your computer" havoc tales

have fun:

http://www.stayathome.ch/images/Loetkolben.jpg
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 19:29   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In one of your previous personas were you not a 1337 haxxor ?

surely someone with your 1337 skiilz should be able to put a motherboard in a case without making an arse of it

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 21:16   #4
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

I suffered no horrors assembling my PC, because I am ace.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 21:48   #5
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I prefer to buy them ready made, and pretend I have made them single-handedly.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 07:51   #6
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 08:08   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 08:32   #8
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I am having a complete nightmare getting my new PC together.

First I decided to get a new PC together and put it in a cool clear acrylic case. I went online and ordered most of the stuff I needed and waited.
And waited.

I ordered stuff from Komplett in Ireland and Tekheads in the UK. I was waiting on a 6800 GT card to be in stock for all my stuff to ship from the UK, this took like 10 days.
The stuff from Komplett was shipped about two days after I ordered it for some reason. Not one to complain if it's on its way I waited for it to arrive.

And waited. And waited.

Eventually it came 7 working days later, GLS the courier company promises 2-3 days at most. They are the WORST delivery company I've ever delt with. Had dealings with them before.

So then I see my stuff from the UK has shipped. Yay!

I open the flat packed self assemble Acrylic case. It never mentioned it was self assemble on the site. Checked the site, it has been updated with new details etc. and a big warning "This is Self Assemble". Nice of them to let me know.

I open the box and to my horror the clear acrylic panels are all in some crap bad quality bubble wrap and nothing else! There is no protective film on them, no other protection to speak of.
I unwrap them to find hideous scratches all along the panels. All from careless workmanship. Drill holes are not properly completed, edges are ragged, long scrapes are evident.

Almos crying now (as I know what this will mean) I take all the panels out, only to find the last one is made of fked up acrylic, its all warped, bend, wavey etc. There is no WAY I can use the case.

So I email Komplett. They ask for Photos. Have you EVER tried to take a photo of a clear piece of acrylic? Think of trying to take a picture of glass. You can't, its designed to see through. The camera focuses on something BEHIND it.

After many problems I managed to get some results by turning on the light in the room and angling the acrylic to reflect the light, meaning I could take a picture of the lampshade above like a mirror however you could just about see the faults. Etc.

I sent the pics off. They say, please send this unit to our return dept. This is going to take a while I bet. I pack up the case, slap on the details and ship it to the address. Thing is, the address is just a forwarding address and is going to be forwarded to Komplett by GLS! NooOOoo.

So then the stuff comes from the UK, including my ace ultra quiet PSU. I unpack the stuff, use my old case and build the entire PC.

Everything seems ok, the PSU is super quiet. It also gets super hot. This is wrong. I pay more attention to it, it sounds like theres a bad connection inside. It keeps ticking/cracking like when you dont put a plug in correct and the contacts have electricy going through em making that crackeling sound.

I use the PSU for a little while more, the problems get worse, it ticks and acts weird when not on. It get stupidly hot.

Shit! It needs to go back too!
I pack THAT up and request a refund. They accept. I post it.

Now...it was 3 weeks ago I sent the case off.

It was 2 weeks since I sent the PSU off.

Neither has been cleared for refund. The case has vanished in transport from Dublin to the Netherlands via GLS. Komplett say that it may take "some time" for it to arrive. I asked how ****ing long it takes to go from Dublin to Holland and they say "its out of our hands and we cant do anything about it". They are going to examine the case when/if it arrives and will determine if I deserve a refund.

I dont like the sound of that.

The PSU still hasn't been cleared by Tekheads. I have NO idea whats going on, apparently they are examining it. Yet they have no record online of recieveing it.

So this leaves me with no case and no PSU. The local PC Shop has neither so I've had to order from the net again.

Im now waiting on an a new PSU and Aluminum case to come into stock. It wasn't listed as out of stock when I ordere it. FS!

So once again I'm sitting at home with everything to make a new system but the fking case and PSU.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 16:05   #9
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

`tis done. Up and and roaring =()
Im a leet computar assembler.

My brother once managed to screw up a PCI slot while trying to install a new vid card =P We had to insert a thin cardboard to prevent it from shorting
It was back in 1997 so its all good...
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 23:03   #10
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sure almost everyone has at least one horror story from building a pc themselves (if they have done so)

I ordered all the parts for my PC and all were delivered fine (after a minor problem with my address - dabs = stupid "we have a problem call us or e-mail us" - "erm ok phoning will be quicker - ring ring - hi you asked me to ring or e-mail you" - "yes ok well we need you to e-mail us this info" - "aghh") anyway, all the parts eventually arive, i assemble th pc and boot it up, "yey it works"

so i installed Windoze (after a few problems with Raid drivers (gigabite send raid drivers on a cd - windoze wants a floppy, so trip to use a mates pc to tranfer the drivers, ok now the file tat says win2k/xp is 3mb erm that wont fit on a floppy, so onto the web to see what gigabites webbie says- not a lot but has download links for newer drivers, sounds like a good idea! but they are also 3mb - so we remove some files from the drivers eventually managing to leave te correct ones on the disk))

Windoze eventually installed pc running all happy, erm now i have a blank screan and my pc isnt making any noise - this isnt good, so open case start looking around cannot see a problem so start flleing heetsinks -nothing is too hot, so feel the heat spreaders on RAM first one is fine second one - "oh F**K thats hot (about 80degrees hot)"

so let it cool down a bit then remove it, it looks ok, apart from at one end the heat spreader is toutching one of the sticks - oh f**K ive knackered my ram now!! oh well may as well try to sort it - managed eventually to pull the heat spreader away from the chip and it hadent F***ed the ram somehow.

Moral of the story always stick heat spreaders on ram on in the correct place or you could **** your pc!!
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 09:05   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

HAHAHAHA

HA HA

/me enjoys his priveleged buyer status at 2 large wholesale retailers in Malaga - import level pricing, and swap-on-the-spot if something fails on me.

/edit: never buy computergear by mail or from a place where you can not punch the seller in the face, within 20 minutes distance of the place of assembly.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 09:08   #12
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm still waiting for my damn returns to be even recieved.

Bastards.

Oh since I ordered the new case etc I decided to order a nice side window as well, ordered that two days ago. Plenty of time beofre that will arive as I've ordered the case days ago.

Package arrived yesterday, was the window. I now have a window for a case I haven't recieved yet.

I get this horrible feeling that fate has been smoking some nasty weed behind the bike sheds and its laughin its ass off while playing with me.

Last edited by IncubusGod; 6 Aug 2004 at 09:19.
IncubusGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:34   #13
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 13:36   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

IncubusGod, if you insist on ordering from overseas...

For your future reference, here are some decent UK suppliers who i've used without issue:
www.scan.co.uk - stock some things sold no-where else in the country. also, check out the "today only" page from time to time for some killer deals
www.overclock.co.uk - a good general parts store
www.overclockers.co.uk - another general one (some people have reported poor returns service here. they do have forums though so you can always ask around)
www.kustompcs.co.uk - these guys tend to stock hard to get things including some nice ultra quiet PSUs. They are quite pricey so only use if you cant get the part elsewhere.
www.ebuyer.com - very competative prices on a range of things. also printers, scanners, etc
www.dabs.com - similar to ebuyer

Also,
Quote:
Although this might all change in a few months when I put together my new Athlon64 system.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 13:48   #15
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
IncubusGod, if you insist on ordering from overseas...
I insist on ordering from overseas mainly due to a distinct lack of PC suppliers online in Ireland. Most Irish based ones tend to be just online fronts for main dept. stores and are stupidly expensive.
Plus there is only one damn "proper" PC store in Limerick now, PC World, due to them all killing each other off in some business war.
I order from Komplett.ie, its an Irish branch of the Komplett chain. Problems come when having to return items, they have to go to their EU repairs centre. Which is in Holland.

I've ordered items from some of the stores you've mentioned before. Most are fine. I'm shopping by price currently. Also Tekheads in the UK seems not to charge me VAT on my orders, saves me a shit load of €'s. Other UK sites do, though for business customers VAT isn't charged for international orders.

Thanks for the other ones though, must look at them.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 13:57   #16
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
Thanks for the other ones though, must look at them.
If you are particularly sensitive to delivery times and charges, avoid scan.co.uk like the ****ing plague.

I am using www.savastore.com at the moment, and they rock (aside from being slightly obsessed with Aries products).
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 14:15   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When did you last order from scan?
I got a new wireless keyboard and mouse set from them 2 weeks ago and it arrived perfectly within it's delivery time (more or less dead on 12:00 on the 3rd working day since I'd ordered it, and I chose 3 day delivery).
Yeah delivery can be pricey.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:42   #18
sayonara
Shai Halud

The last time (ever) was about 6 months ago. What a farce. It ended up costing me about £30 in total for delivery because of their ineptitude.

I won't buy from them again unless I can't find what I want anywhere else, which is unlikely to happen.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:27   #19
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 16:56   #20
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

novatech seem good. ordered my case through them. it was cheap, delivery was three bloody quid, email updates when it arrived at the distribution centre, practically next day securicor delivery, and nice user-friendly website.

Am i just not 'with it' or are they winnerful?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote