User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Jul 2005, 18:17   #1
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

kamikaze69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Graphics

I'm not sure if anyone remember's this, but there was talk as to having graphics for the ships of each race. I thought that was a rather cool idea, I can't remember the result of that discussion.

I also remember some suggested graphics to be used for the designs of ships, and I was just looking thru my ship descriptions wondering to myself what does a Black Widow actually looks like. Maybe if there was a link at the bottom of the ship description drop down saying "click here to see the ship" and it takes you to another page which has the ship graphic in it so that it doesn't bother people with slow connections and if they feel compelled to view the warship they can still.

I seem to remember back in the days of the early rounds that the PA team decided to use some graphics, and I am just wondering what happened to them and is there a possibility of getting them back???

Anybody jog my memory for me???

PS: if the PA team likes this idea but needs some designing help, can they Private msg me please.

I want what is rightfully MINE . I have much, but need MUCH MORE !!!

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
kamikaze69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2005, 19:38   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Graphics

Ship images were tried before, the problem was that by the time the ships were announced and the images to match these were produced to a decent quality then the round was already in full swing.After all theres a fair number of ships to produce and when its being produced by volenteers this just makes it an even longer task

And then when you have them the problem is its very much a one off feature, you see them once and you probally wont look at it again so this is alot of work for little gain. And this can be made even worse if they are then not given fairly big overhauls each round.

If PA had a dull time graphic designer on its staff then graphical features like this might be viable but with volenteers I think this is a task thats asking too much
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 15:02   #3
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

Now, I am no graphics artist, but I have tried my hand at it myself, and have only got 2 sketches done. So I can see where that pessimism comes from. However, I am looking at this as a one time thing too.

You don't want a 'dull time graphic designer' (wakeyism, even though only a small one), just a one time graphics artist, over the course of a round, develop ship designs, and then implement them for the round after.

I might not be the best person to forward an arguement on this topic, mainly because it was back in the day of photoshop 3.0 and 3.1 when I did any form of graphic design, but I know that there are talented artists everywhere, they just need to pull together ideas.

Perhaps making a competition out of it. Each of the ship designs have to be made, so give ppl credits for their graphics artwork??? There are 48 ship designs, give out 48 credits, ppl can enter one design PER unit, but can submit designs for each ship and has the possibility of getting 48 credits to their name if they use their design in the next round.

Might also bring a little more interest to the server methinks???

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 15:21   #4
Supersander
'cause sex isn't enough

Supersander has a spectacular aura aboutSupersander has a spectacular aura aboutSupersander has a spectacular aura about

I don't really see a use for graphics plus it's a nightmare for those people that are still on 56k connection. It doesn't add anything to the gameplay or -experience imo. And as wakey said, you'll only have a quick look at it once before you couldnt care less about it anymore.
Supersander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2005, 18:01   #5
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

I don't disagree with your second statement Supersander, about it being a look at it once and then could hardly care less about it. But if you read the original post you will see that my proposition was to have a link to the graphics, so that they don't affect those still on 56k (which is going to be outsourced soon anyway).

It is just an idea, and I am just looking for a little response on the topic, thank you Supersander and Wakey

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 00:59   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Wakey is spot on. Too much (free) work for little gain. Paying people with credits is ok for designing a skin, but the time needed to design ships is another matter. If i could pay my bills with PA credits then it would be ok. Besides you need the same artist to design all the ships for 1 race (for consistency). And lastly, seeing how the skins are shot down in the forum whenever a new one is added, I don't think any artist would want to put the necessary time to design 12 ships just to read bad comments about them, even for 12 PA credits.
Unread 16 Jul 2005, 08:19   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

we got virtually all new grpahics for the game this round - we didn;t pay for them. So its quite possible that the future will see optional ship graphics and things.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 20:01   #8
Yurgeta
Lord Yurgeta

Yurgeta is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah. minituer pictuers these days ar not hard to do.. you just need the right programs and the skill of 3D modelin.. if you can 3D model ships it will be better for the ships.. plus with haveing limited size images the file sizes are smaller and faster at loading. i can set my jpg images to load faster than 60% of the sites that use jpg. you can set teh load time and quality.. i set all my jpg images to 2MB and 12 ( highest quality ) and my site loads in a flash.. the smaller the image file the better.. the icons for metal and stuff are reasonable sizes.. mabye a bit bigger would help for ships. for manual.. but ingame they wouldnt help that much.. but i can see advantages for ship images aswell as other images for several different things..
Round 16 - Retired
Round 17 - Retired
Yurgeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2005, 17:35   #9
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Wakey is spot on. Too much (free) work for little gain. Paying people with credits is ok for designing a skin, but the time needed to design ships is another matter. If i could pay my bills with PA credits then it would be ok. Besides you need the same artist to design all the ships for 1 race (for consistency). And lastly, seeing how the skins are shot down in the forum whenever a new one is added, I don't think any artist would want to put the necessary time to design 12 ships just to read bad comments about them, even for 12 PA credits.
Well you dont have to do one! lots of people have nothing to do, they could earn their job seakers allowance!!!

But i agree with the "consistency" thing.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 12:55   #10
Igloo

Igloo is on a distinguished road

i agree, and this might be what we need to bring new players to the game, to draw them in by the pretty designed ships?

maybe a setting to turn them on? with defualt off, so i u want them on, you can do.

Also, how about on the battle reports, if you loose ships, you can see the wreckage?

or maybe a page when you login of your planet, and close ups of buildings etc, if they have been destroyed by a target. Like CCTV, watch it as it happens etc

and maybe even ships stealing our roids and hopping back into hyperspace.

I personaly think thats a good idea