User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Aug 2005, 14:53   #101
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The GD Music Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Out of pure curiosity, how many people get put off by the 'emo' tag ?
me.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 14:55   #102
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Out of pure curiosity, how many people get put off by the 'emo' tag ?
Not me.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 16:48   #103
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
me.
why? do you expect it to be the same generic stuff as taking back sunday, mcr etc?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 17:02   #104
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The GD Music Archive

I have no idea what the **** 'emo' means. I kind of associate 'emo' with 'pop shite with pretensions of an emotional content' now.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 20:45   #105
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

yeah that's what the general misconception is.
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 22:32   #106
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I thought I might add somthing distinctly 'local'.

Instrumental

Jakob - Subsets of Sets Jakob are a haunting soundscape of dark and intense instrumental music. Their music is heavily focused upon conveying a situation or mood through sound. Vocals are dispensed with in favour of deep and complex sets, with songs like A nice day for an earthquake attempting to convey the calm and tranquility before the storm; only to explode into a wall of sonic energy. The band is worth listening to if only to hear somthing unique and different. A sample I recommend - and the only one you are likely to find, is I'm On Your Side under video.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2005, 23:38   #107
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
why? do you expect it to be the same generic stuff as taking back sunday, mcr etc?
either that, or hardcore made by people who make up in whining what they lack in rhythm. from autumn to ashes and secret lives of the freemasons being delightful examples
Unread 18 Aug 2005, 00:05   #108
jerome

yeah, you need to listen to some of the stuff i've recommended. from autumn to ashes is ridiculously shit. shame the ratio of good:bad "emo" bands is so poor that it leads to a the few excellent ones being overlooked so often.
Unread 18 Aug 2005, 00:12   #109
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
yeah, you need to listen to some of the stuff i've recommended. from autumn to ashes is ridiculously shit. shame the ratio of good:bad "emo" bands is so poor that it leads to a the few excellent ones being overlooked so often.
okay. well, something that sounds good, and isn't being sung by posturing emo kids, and i'll give it a shot. but that's the other obstacle for me: as much as i object to shit music, i also object to pretentious artists. Muse get nixed by this. Radiohead get nixed. Hard-Fi certainly suffer for it. And every emo band i've been exposed to so far has been anathema, on both counts.

Pick out one thing I should investigate that won't leave me wanting to tear someone's eyes out, and i'll give it a whirl. Until that point I remain deeply sceptical.
Unread 18 Aug 2005, 12:37   #110
jerome

Gatsbys American Dream - Volcano. and/or Circa Survive - Juturna. give both 5-6 listens thoroughly and see how you feel.
Unread 3 Sep 2005, 00:22   #111
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Jazz

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Some say the music on this album is perfect, i dont know. But i can say this LP is not easy to listen to as you miss in every song a formal structure for example like a continuing bass-line. And Coltranes play, it sounds crazy mad, from clear rythms to high pitched, sloped tones. I know a lot of people who think when listening to "A Love Supreme" that there is playing a derelict for the first time the saxophone to get the money for a meal. The last thing i can say when you open yourself for it, it is indescribably touching, it sounds (compared to other Jazz LP's) like being on a whole new level. Intense and emotion thats what this album is all about.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2005, 01:11   #112
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
okay. well, something that sounds good, and isn't being sung by posturing emo kids, and i'll give it a shot. but that's the other obstacle for me: as much as i object to shit music, i also object to pretentious artists. Muse get nixed by this. Radiohead get nixed. Hard-Fi certainly suffer for it. And every emo band i've been exposed to so far has been anathema, on both counts.

Pick out one thing I should investigate that won't leave me wanting to tear someone's eyes out, and i'll give it a whirl. Until that point I remain deeply sceptical.
stop caring about pretention.
Unread 5 Sep 2005, 01:59   #113
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pop/Rock

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

I cannot believe no one has mentioned probably the best album ever written. Beautiful and sensual from start to finish, if this album doesnt tug on your heart strings, im sorry, but nothing ever will. You can put this on and cry in a room, walk and smile in the sun, sing your heart out in an empty shop (yo). Every song seems to roll into the next one (like every good album should), but if i had to pick highlights, the title track, and 'The Boxer' are two of the most astoundingly awesome tracks ive ever heard. Includes perhaps the most beautiful line of all time in 'The only living boy in new york' - being - "Hey.. i've got nothing to do, today, but smile". If you dont like this album, i cant ****ing reason with you.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 01:18   #114
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Aye Deffeh, its a great album. And I agree, the boxer is one of the best on that album.

I would like to add.

Jazz

Silje Nergaard - At first light

Dont worry, the lyrics are all in english. Her voice is beautiful, the music is nice. An exellent record to chill down with, or to listen to when you fell down. Somehow she manages to touch my heart, hell even make me(!) feel romantic for a while. Also worth noting, another album with the same style called; Port of Call.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 12:42   #115
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

Soulful, funky, powerful.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 14:36   #116
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Rock

R.E.M -New adventures in Hi-Fi

Perfect for listning too while you watch the rain from inside the bus. More Rock than the famous Automatic for the people album, but I find it almost as good. Tracks worth listning to in particular: Leave, Bittersweet Me, So Fast So Numb, Electrolite.

(Amazing that nobody has mentioned any R.E.M album ffs!)
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 21:33   #117
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rock

Propaganda - A Secret Wish

One of the best bands of the 1980s.
Think the Human League mixed with Kraftwerk.
If you don't like this album, you are dead (as in dead, deceased, ceased to be, not Yur ded)

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2005, 22:05   #118
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Indie

You Could Have It So Much Better With...Franz Ferdinand

forget whatever you thought about FF from the first album. This has none of the repetitive pretentious wank of their self-titled debut, and instead represents forty minutes of stripped-back art rock with so much funk it hurts. Standout tracks are Evil and a Heathen, Walk Away, and The Fallen.
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 19:24   #119
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

After hating most new music this year, I've managed to find a few things I like

New Pornographers - Twin Cinema: Upbeat indie pop, horrendously catchy tunes that manage to avoid being either simplistic or cheesy. The only problem with this album is that the female vocalist isnt used enough - she only gets 2 songs out of the 14. Stand out tracks: "These are the Fables", and "Sing Me Spanish Techno".

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Stupid band name, great album. Indie pop again, but not very upbeat, and with a sound that reminds me of the Arcade Fire although I'm not sure why. Standout tracks: "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth", "Details of the War".
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 19:27   #120
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Indie

You Could Have It So Much Better With...Franz Ferdinand

forget whatever you thought about FF from the first album. This has none of the repetitive pretentious wank of their self-titled debut, and instead represents forty minutes of stripped-back art rock with so much funk it hurts. Standout tracks are Evil and a Heathen, Walk Away, and The Fallen.
Couldn't of put it better myself

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 19:30   #121
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

what the **** is art rock?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 19:45   #122
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Rock that you can paint to.
Unread 13 Sep 2005, 19:46   #123
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
After hating most new music this year, I've managed to find a few things I like

New Pornographers - Twin Cinema: Upbeat indie pop, horrendously catchy tunes that manage to avoid being either simplistic or cheesy. The only problem with this album is that the female vocalist isnt used enough - she only gets 2 songs out of the 14. Stand out tracks: "These are the Fables", and "Sing Me Spanish Techno".
Finally, an album i'm acquainted with BEFORE nod recommends it.

It's ****ing fantastic. SMST is good, as are the bleeding heart show and jackie, dressed in cobras.

CYHSY I am as yet unacquainted with, thanks nod for reminding me to fix this.
Unread 15 Sep 2005, 09:20   #124
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Has anyone heard of Nitty Gritty - run down the world?

I am looking to "obtain" a copy but failing

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2005, 19:35   #125
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

Sadly, and once again, the genre of Funk is left out in the cold.

Several bands, names, labels, compositions, mostly old 45 rpm records. Some have been Comped such as Jazzman Geralds "Texas Funk"...a truely heavy hitting gem for the first time funkster.

For a fast scan of what I believe to sit right beside Jazz and Blues....behold...FUNK!

I did not expect to be added into the list on the first post, but I am content in knowing, I have done my part in spreading the holy word.

Note: Full versions of the songs, in most cases, are found with many months of sweat pouring over boxes and boxes of records...in many, many, record stores.
Unread 19 Sep 2005, 17:04   #126
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Indie

Cat Power - You Are Free

It's a really good album just in general, but the undisputed highlight has to be the track 'He War', which you should kill your grandparents to hear.
Unread 25 Sep 2005, 23:31   #127
jerome

CYHSY are just fab, i was shockingly unlucky to miss them live last month when i was over in the states.

Prog Rock

Dredg - Catch Without Arms
Complexity and intricacy is the order of the day with this band in their third album. This album builds on the bands first two offerings by bring more progressive and less rocky than the past outings. The title track is the biggest stand out of the album with it's awesome lyrics, the band also emply a style of ambience within the album.

Indie Rock

Broken Social Scene- You Forgot It in People

released in '03 but still absolutely fantastic compared with a lot of other indie rock out. i honestly adore every song on this album, mixing traits of pensivity, joyousness and just passion, this album plainly rocks.

Indie Pop

The Album Leaf- In a Safe Place This gorgeous, cinematic record was recorded with the aid of Sigur Ros at their studio in Iceland. Think Sigur Ros meets Dntel and you have a good idea of what it sounds like. For the band-reference-comparison-challenged, this is an album full of subdued clicks and beeps, sweeping melodies, and beautiful, wistful melancholy. (directly stolen from QC's RL section because that pretty much is a spot on description.)
Unread 26 Sep 2005, 22:44   #128
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Indie Rock

Broken Social Scene- You Forgot It in People

released in '03 but still absolutely fantastic compared with a lot of other indie rock out. i honestly adore every song on this album, mixing traits of pensivity, joyousness and just passion, this album plainly rocks.
agree.
Unread 29 Sep 2005, 00:28   #129
jerome

Alternative

Gatsbys American Dream - Volcano

unlike nod, I've found many, many releases i've adored this year. of everything it is this album, which is undoubtedly my favourite and walks into my top10 albums of all-time easily. (which isn't too shabby considering i possess around 800 albums.) i'm not sure why i haven't recommended this album here before but it is pretty much fantastic. Filled with literary references ranging from Jurassic Park and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy to Interview With A Vampire and The Lord Of The Flies , Volcano is not easy music to swallow, and it's not meant to be. there are no choruses in this album, it's all interweaving music with intellectuality in the music being the main sell point. revisiting old lyrics from previous albums backing up songs, short postscripts to full tracks, cowball vocal exchanges all feature in this album to make it one of the most magnificent albums released in quite a while.

of everything i've recommended this would be the one i'd definitely ask ANYONE to go for. give the whole album 5-6 spins and tell me you don't adore it.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 19:04   #130
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Electro

Ladytron - The Witching Hour

Impossibly good music to dance to. If you like Goldfrapp, Kasabian, or in point of fact any music at all whatsoever, you should love this and if you don't you have AIDS. standout tracks are 'destroy everything you touch' and 'international dateline' although 'high rise', 'sugar' and 'amtv' also rank in my top songs of the year.

Indie

Arctic Monkeys - Beneath the Boardwalk

Demo tape from the hottest live act, and uncontestable best new band, of 2005. Standout tracks are 'Cigarette Smoke', 'Scummy', 'A Certain Romance' and first single 'Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' (DANCING TO ELECTROPOP LIKE A ROBOT FROM 1984, OH FROM 1984). This will be hard to get hod of because it's a demo tape, obviously, but careful scouring of torrent networks should provide it. If not, PM me. But you all need to hear this.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 19:22   #131
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'm going to post again about the Go! Team, as they are just so good they deserve two reccomendations.
I saw them live on Sunday, and they didn't disappoint.
Oh, and Lady Sovereign was one of the supports, and she's not bad live either- quite amusing
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 19:42   #132
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
I'm going to post again about the Go! Team, as they are just so good they deserve two reccomendations.
I saw them live on Sunday, and they didn't disappoint.
saw them at Reading instead of the Foos (Foos more like ****yoos because dave grohl is a **** and his band is shit lol), and they were like sex, only sexier.
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 21:06   #133
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Post-Punk

The Fall - Fall Heads Roll

25th album from John Peel's favourites. Far better than it has a right to be (and they're still cracking live). Highlights are the astounding Pacifying Joint, as well as 60s cover I Can Hear The Grass Grow and seven minute drugathon Blindness.

Electro

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel

Like Depeche Mode? Course you do. And you're particularly going to enjoy John The Revelator and Lilian.
Unread 22 Oct 2005, 22:56   #134
jerome

Say Anything - Is A Real Boy

Wonderful wonderful wonderful mix of indie/punk rock/pop gems. Originally intended to be a musical, Max bemis restyled the songs into a concept album about a boy in an unsuccessful band running a commentary on the pretentions and the retardity of life & society. one of the best albums released in the past few years, easily

Ambient Synth Rock (?)

Minus The Bear - Menos El Olso

Witty lyrics, excellent ability to paint pictures with their songs, the calm progressive feel of minus the bear most likely won't appeal to everyone but to those with a taste for this sort of music, the chances are you will adore this.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 03:05   #135
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

Freeform/Hardcore - Figured i might have to explain the genre too

Most of you will have heard terrible 'Happy Hardcore' which came about when Jungle was huge and Drum and Bass was just a baby. Those that didnt like the chipmunk vocals and uplifiting pianos went down another route and ended up with Freeform. Its almost impossible to classify and just fits in round other dance music genres really.

Bonkers 3 - A Journey into Madness (Sharkeys mix)

This CD (one of 3 and the other 2 are gash imo) although strictly a mix CD with the scene as small as it was back then the same few producers were working together a lot and managed to get a snapshot that encompassed everything that was good about the music the tempo ranges from native indian inspired breakbeats of Ramos and Supremes - The Ravechief to the pounding 190bpm+ 4/4 acid line frenzy that is Marc Smiths - The Procrastinator.
Ahead of its time and still sounds crisp and well produced

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2005, 01:05   #136
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Dance

Soulwax - Nite Sessions

Just get it, okay?
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 19:57   #137
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I had fancied making one of these for a while and this was the only thing I could think of doing it for. Thought it may make it easier to find things as Weeks hasn't updated the original post in a while.

http://www.urwins.com/~adam/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

So far I've only put in half of the stuff in Weeks original post as I only have time to work on it when in uni but it should be finished by the end of the week.

If people think its worth keeping then I'll work on improving the layout and look of the thing.
Unread 2 Nov 2005, 20:19   #138
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Ah, that's excellent midge! Yeah keep on updating the layout. If you want some help, or want me to start updating the main post again, let me know.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 01:14   #139
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Ah, that's excellent midge! Yeah keep on updating the layout. If you want some help, or want me to start updating the main post again, let me know.

If you want to fill in any of the categories I havent done that would be great cheers. No need to update your original post though as I can do it by category and then just add all the individual posts on their own easy enough.
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 22:43   #140
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I'd be really grateful if someone could recommend some decent AphexTwin songs, specifically.

Any act in the same vein would be appreciated, too.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2005, 14:56   #141
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The GD Music Archive

You really don't want to listen to Aphex Twin. Not if you are not a nutcase, anyway.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2005, 15:19   #142
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

avril 14th
Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels mount
taking control
girl/boy song
to cure a weakling child (either version)
Alberto Balsalm
mookid
fenixfunk5 (under the name AFX)
anything on the come to daddy ep
the windowlicker single (esp. windowlicker and nannou)

I could go on.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2005, 02:42   #143
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Dance I guess

Capitol K - Island Row

Sort of dancey, indie type music, good though. the guy uses an atari

info etc.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2005, 11:13   #144
jerome

Alternative

The Maple State - Atleast Until We've Settled In

i've been absolutely heads over heels in love with this band since i saw them supporting circa survive back in september. honestly, this band brings some innovation and brilliance which is much needed in the british alternative punk scene. i could shower this recommendation with many metaphors and such, but all you need to know is that this band is filled with funk. and funk is good. very good.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 07:42   #145
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Rock

Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot - This album is a gem. It is rare for a collection of B-Sides to contain so many amazing songs. Best described as a rough cut diamond, listening to this album is rewarding for both fans and first time listeners. If you prefer their more melodic side, then songs such as Whir, Soothe and Landslide will make you smile. For those who like their harder edge, you cannot go past Frail and Bedazzled. There is somthing for everyone here, I highly recommend it.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 13:33   #146
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
Rock

Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot - This album is a gem. It is rare for a collection of B-Sides to contain so many amazing songs. Best described as a rough cut diamond, listening to this album is rewarding for both fans and first time listeners. If you prefer their more melodic side, then songs such as Whir, Soothe and Landslide will make you smile. For those who like their harder edge, you cannot go past Frail and Bedazzled. There is somthing for everyone here, I highly recommend it.
Just to say that of course I agree. Everything the Smashing Pumpkins have ever done is wonderful

Although I wouldn't personally suggest a new listener starts with this album. I think a lot of the others are more accessible.
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 19:21   #147
jerome

Punk Rock?

Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit!
Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire
Alkaline Trio - Alkaline Trio

i've been trying to word this right for the past 10 or so minutes, but i just can't seem to be able to capture alkaline right in words.
just acquire, listen, admire.
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 22:04   #148
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Beck - Guero (The only genre I can think of is "Alternative")

"Beck is a true master of pastiche, but Guero isn't eclectic merely for the sake of it--instead, it's a constantly surprising, ever-revolving creation that looks at Beck's multiple talents through an entertaining kaleidoscope and which, backed by the Dust Brothers' formidable production, is damn groovy." (Amazon)

This is just a really catchy album - most of the songs will stick in your head for a long time. It's really difficult to explain the sound of this album, it's just really easy to listen to. Standout songs: E-pro, Girl.
Unread 27 Nov 2005, 02:12   #149
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Punk Rock?

Alkaline Trio - Goddamnit!
Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire
Alkaline Trio - Alkaline Trio

i've been trying to word this right for the past 10 or so minutes, but i just can't seem to be able to capture alkaline right in words.
just acquire, listen, admire.
I think they're punk but I'm not gonna get into an argument about it.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2005, 11:00   #150
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

They're pretty amazing with their orchestrated kind of rock music. If you've seen the new "hit" movie floating around with a house filled with christmas-lights that follows the rythms of a melody, that's one of theirs. They've been around for quite a few years and it saddens me I haven't seen or heard of these people before.