User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 19:37   #1
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
My latest 'strategy' offering...

I'm done with stat threads. They take too long to DM. M: DV is a fine example of why I'm done with stat threads. I am now sticking to non-stat threads and strategy threads, and the following is my latest strategy thread idea.

Basically, it starts in an alternate world immediately after the end of the dark ages (or dark ages equivelant, seeing as it is an alternate world). Players create their own kingdom with its own history and cultural background, picking a region to be their capital from a map, and allocating 'points' to decide their race's strengths (such as increased research capability or trading prowess).We then run through the thread (or series thereof) untill we reach the modern era, wherupon the game ends and I decide a winner.

Such a game will feature research, economical developement, diplomacy and warfare. Your style of play will be forced to change with the times. War will be the only way to expand early in the game, while culture and economy become progressively more and more important as the thread goes on.

The thread will include a wide variety of military units and corresponding technological advances. The main purpose of research will be economic and social benefit (for example, by researching Genetic Engineering in the later age, the GM Crops improvement would become available. Investing in this improvement would then give you 5% additional economic growth over the next few years). The economic side would be kept relatively simple, with there only being one currency, EP (Economy Points, which would translate into your own nation's currency as you pleased), and resources (such as oil) being abstracted, yet reasonably important.

If you're interested, post here. I'll need a reasonably large (seven or more) number of players for this to work properly. How many players I do get determines the size of the map, so if you post interest then you are semi-obliged to play.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 19:44   #2
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold
Re: My latest 'strategy' offering...

Meh

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 19:48   #3
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
Meh, I'll join, oh great and masterful ND-one
Excellent.

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 19:58   #4
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

i've got nothing better to do.....
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 20:46   #5
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

how often would I have to post?
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 20:47   #6
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Count me in.....

/me goes back to "work"
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 21:14   #7
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantadors evil twin
how often would I have to post?
A year would be four days long at the start of the thread, longer as the thread goes on and everything 'speeds up' in terms of how quickly discoveries are made, etc. I've yet to decide whether to have players post budgets and such once every year, once every two years or once every four years. So that's either once every four days, once every eight days or once every sixteen days. My preference is for either once per annum or once per two years. In practise I think I'll find myself declaring 'bullet time' (time drastically slowed so that I can DM battles and such properly) a lot.

All
I decided to do the map anyway. It'll be up once I finish it, find a host, etc. I won't post the income of any region to start with (they're all more-or-less the same), just pick one and I'll give you the cash it generates. Following the map will be the list of national advantages and how many points you can put toward them. After picking a region and your advantages all that remains is a background and history (system of government is key).

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 22:10   #8
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about

I thought you said it wasnt going to be stat run...

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 22:33   #9
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
I thought you said it wasnt going to be stat run...
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
I'm done with stat threads [...] I am now sticking to non-stat threads and strategy threads
Yes, strategy threads do need a certain amount of statistical base, but I'd've thought that was obvious. Apparently not.

Unread 18 Dec 2003, 23:05   #10
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

I am sooo in!
Unread 18 Dec 2003, 23:23   #11
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about

okay, cool im in

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 00:04   #12
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Sure, why not
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 02:30   #13
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

I like it. But I can't post all that often. I'f you only want a once every four days. That I can do.
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 03:30   #14
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

I am most definately partaking in this.

I just hope IB doesn't disappear again when I decide to invade.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 20:34   #15
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt
I am most definately partaking in this.

I just hope IB doesn't disappear again when I decide to invade.
for the record i'd have kicked yo' ass (kind of how we beat you at the rugby) and slaughtered your puny spiders or earwigs or whatever it is you where, if i hadn't lost my internet connection for 2-3 weeks
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 20:39   #16
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

I'd consider joining.

IB- Would you be interested in going another round with him to find out?

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 20:47   #17
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetkiller II
I'd consider joining.

IB- Would you be interested in going another round with him to find out?
check that muha thread for the answer.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 15:49   #18
No Dachi

Rules for Dawning Empires

Rules: Basic:
1. My word is final and absolute. Disputing it makes me annoyed. Annoying me makes me strike you down with the Hand of God.

2. As my word is final and absolute, any desicions by any of the Sub-DMs that you wish to dispute must be disputed through me and me alone. Do not waste my time with pointless disputes. Wasting time with pointless disputed desicions makes me annoyed. Annoying me makes me...

3. Do not be rude about my map drawing skillz. Being rude about my map drawing skillz makes me annoyed. Annoying me makes me...

4. Read the rules through fully before posting. They are not particularly long and have been divided into a number of bulletpoints in order to keep your brains from imploding at the sight of so much text due to your short attention spans.

5. The first step in your path to world domination is making your kingdom. Its history can be pretty much anything you like (note that this is a real-world alternative and there are no elves, etc). At the start of the thread you are all feudal monarchies. Other kingdom information like cultural background and such is appreciated.
5.b. With this done you decide where to allocate your ten civilization points. These points allow your race bonuses in whatever fields you allocate them too. The fields can be seen further down the rules. You can allocate a maximum of three points to each field. Bear in mind that putting all of your advantages in archers, knights and spearmen will leave you militarily weak in the later stages of the game.

6. Once you have selected a region to form the basis of your empire get started by posting a budget (see Rules: Economic).

Rules: Economic
1. The common standard currency is EP, or Economic Points. You may translate Economic Points into your nation's own currency as you wish (five EP to a groat, seventeen to a shilling, whatever), but to avoid confusing me/the Economic Sub-DM you will post all your budgets entirely in EP.

2. Resources are abstracted. This means that they're present in the world and do affect stuff, but for conveniance neither you nor myself have to worry about them.

3. An in game year passes once every RL day. Each RL day thus comprises an in-game year. The time it takes for a year to pass will lengthen as the thread goes on.

4. Once every eight years you should post a budget. A budget informs the Economic Sub-DM of how your kingdom/nation will spend its money. Use the following template for your budget, minus the notes in italics:

---

Budget of the Kingdom of Dachiland, FY 1080 (FY means 'For Year'. The game starts in AF, 'After Fall', 1080)

Total income FY 1079: 100 EP (this is your total income from the previous year)
Total re-invested 1079: 20 EP (re-investment is an abstracted way of accounting for government-funded improvements to economy and society. In the early ages this includes things such as improving farming methods and building roads. In the later periods it encompasses things such as launching communications satellites and drilling for oil)
Growth rate FY 1079: 40% [i](your growth rate is in effect a measure of how much your kingdom's economy expanded by over the past year. The growth rate directly affects the boost to your total income you gain from re-investment. Your growth rate will rise with a happy populance and a peaceful existence and fall with trade embargoes from your neighbour states, war, civil disorder, DM-initiated plague, etc)
Total Income FY 1080: 100+8 = 108 EP (this is how much you gain each year from now on. The increase to income is the percentage of your reinvestment equal to your growth rate. 40% of 20 EP is 8 EP, so this is the amount that the Kingdom of Dachiland's income grew by)

Bureaucracy: 10%; 11 EP (Bureaucracy is paying for your government. This involves paying for your king's luxurious lifestyle in the early ages and paying MPs/senators/whatever in the later stages. 10% is a good value for Bureaucracy. Far below it causes governmental paralysis and far above it causes innefficiency)
War: 30%; 32 EP (War is the amount of funding your military gets. It is divisable into procurements and upkeep as seen further below)
Internal Security: 10%; 11 EP (Internal Security is the funding for your spies and such. High internal secutiy gives you a better chance of reducing the amount of information the enemy can learn from within your territory and makes more information about then available to you)
Re-investment: 40%; 43 EP (re-investment is the amount put toward works that improve the economy. Generally speaking, high re-investment yields high economic growth)

War Spending

Procurements: (Procurements are new military units that are to be added to your armies)
2 Spearmen - 4 EP
1 Halberdiers - 8 EP

Upkeep (Upkeep feeds, clothes, pays and resupplies troops that you already have in your order of battle. You start paying the upkeep costs of a unit a year after you procured the unit)

10 Spearmen - 20 EP

---

And that's it. It might look complicated but do trust me when I say that with the italic text gone and once you've done a few of them, it will become very simple to draw up a budget.

5. Additional budget requirements/options such as 'Social Welfare' will come available to you as the thread progresses.

6. Address any questions regarding budgets to me or the Economic Sub-DM.

Rules: Military
1. Know that NPC kingdoms and nations will not always be pushovers. In fact, most of the time they will not. You must conquer through strategic, diplomatic and political cunning. Early on, marrying yourself into royal bloodlines is a good way to peacefully merge with other nations, but they won't usually accept unless you have a history of good relations.

2. You are strongly advised to marshall your troops through generals. Generals are a special feature of Dawning Empires. A General has four simple statistics that positively (or sometimes negatively) affect troops under his command.
2.b. You will each recieve two Generals at the start of the game, their statistics randomly generated by myself.
2.c. Your Generals stats are easily displayed in four numbers, for example, 5,7,8,3
2.c.i. The first number (in this case, 5) is your General's loyalty. A high loyalty is good because it reduces the chance of the General defecting or even leading an uprising against you. A low loyalty will also cause problems if you lower the General's importance (by removing troops from his command, etc)
2.c.ii. Your General's second number is his offensive capability. A General with a high offensive capability will, unsurprisingly, perform well when attacking,
2.c.iii. Your General's third number is his defensive capability. A General with a high defensive capability will, unsurprisingly, perform well when defending.
2.c.iv. Your General's fourth and final number is his logistical capability. Logistics is the art of supplying your troops. A General with a low logistical capability will often fail to adequately supply his troops, leading to disaster, while a General with a high logistical capability will organise a well-defended supply chain to bring food and ammunition to his army. Logistics will usually only pose a problem if the General is operating outside of your borders.
2.d. You will gain more Generals over time. A warlike country produces many Generals.
2.e. Your existing Generals' stats will rise or fall with their battlefield experience. An average General whose forces are routed by a cunning enemy will lose confidence in his abilities, and his offensive stat will fall. Am average General who wins a few easy battles will learn some important lessons, his offensive stat willr rise.

3. Keep track of your own armies' size and organisation. I will not do this for you. If you invade without an adequate record of your armed forces for me to examine, the consquences will be dire.

4. It is the Medeival period, and the concepts of justified war have not yet evolved. Remember this, the NPC nations will.

5. Because it is the Medeival period, naval technology is very poor. You won't get anything other than light coastal ships untill the Rennaissence hits home.

6. All players start with 4 units of Peasants, 1 unit of Mounted Knights and 1 additional unit of their choice.

7. The starting unit of Mounted Knights does not require upkeep.

8. All units take an in-game year to build unless otherwise specified.

Rules: Scientific
1. You choose one scientific advance each budget from the tech tree. You will then discover this advance by the next budget and be able to implement it. You will always get one scientific advance per budget.

2. Scientific advances come in many categories. Some advances yield new units, others improve your existing ones, others may give you a commercial or even scientific (some advances lead to gaining instant bonus technology) advantages. Some, such as Socialist Theory, open up new game concepts.

Last edited by No Dachi; 20 Dec 2003 at 20:39.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 15:50   #19
No Dachi

Lists: Units
At present, the following military units are available to you. All units come in groups of 200 unless otherwise specified. Included with each s a short desicription and their upkeep and procurement cost. Note that feudal units have a high upkeep cost in relation to later units, because of the method in which they are raised.

Infantry

Peasants - P 1 EP, U 1 EP
Peasants are worthless farmers who have been pressed into service by their feudal masters and given poor quality weapons. Peasants are poor quality soldiers that route easily and fight badly.

Spearmen - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
Spearmen are a little better than peasants. They are themselves peasants, but they have been given better drilling in combat and better weaponry. Spearmen are armed with shields and spears and make stout defensive units, though their morale is frequently poor and they are vunerable on the flanks.

Spear Sergeants - P 4 EP, U 4 EP
Sergeants are the middle rank of the feudal system, generally wealthy farm owners. They have better morale and equipment than Peasants or Spearmen, and are better at resisting attack. Spear Sergeants are good in defense and can perform basic offensive actions.

Men-At-Arms - P 6 EP, U 6 EP
Mean-At-Arms are proffessional soldiers with medium armour, a heavy sword and a kite shield. They are excellent offensive troops and can hold their own defensively. Their heavy armour protects them from light missile weaponry but makes them slow and vunerable to heavy missile weaponry.

Missile Infantry

Archers - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
Archers are the ranged equivelant of Peasants. Their aim is usually fine, but their weak bows lack the power to pierce armour and in rain their effectiveness if reduced. They have poor morale, and despite short swords will be cut down in close combat. They are fast but have no armour.

Crossbowmen - P 5 EP, U 4 EP
Crossbows fire laterally (this means that the Crossbowmen always have to be at the front of your army to fire effectively), but are more powerful than the bows of Archers and better at piercing armour. They also require less skill to aim. Crossbowmen have crossows and light armour. They are very poor in close combat, resorting to using their crossbows as clubs.

Longbowmen - P 4 EP, U 6 EP
Longbowmen are formed from yeomanry, farmers payed by the land to practise archey with the heavy bow in peacetime. Longbow arrows can pierce armour like a hot knife through butter and have tremendous range, but the upkeep is very expensive since the soldiers that form its units are proffessional. Longbowmen don't cost much in procurement since much of the yeomens' equipment is their own. They have short swords and bucklers and are profficient in close combat, though only very lightly armoured, and unable to hold out against combat infantry.

Arbelesters - P 8 EP, U 5 EP
Arbelesters are well armoured, but slow and poor in close combat. They carry very heavy crossbows that can slice thorugh armour with even greater ease than longbow arrows. The arbalests themselves are very expensive, and so Arbelesters have a high procurement cost. Arbelesters have poor morale

Skirmishers - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
Skirmishers come in small groups of 80. They carry large wooden shields, light armour and a number of heavy javelins. They are good at closing down on enemy archers, their shields offering them protection, and can inflict reasonable damage on armoured infantry. They fight reasonably in close combat but are highly vunerable to cavalry and medium/heavy infantry.

Cavalry
All cavalry come in units of 60

Light Cavalry - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
Light Cavalry are basically Peasants with horses. They are poor fighters but are perfectly able to harry a routing enemy and scout. They will be massacred by spearmen and heavy cavalry. Light Cavalry have a good chance of catching Horse Archers.

Mounted Sergeants - P 6 EP, U 6 EP
Mounted Sergeants are capable medium cavalry. They are well armoured and equipped with heavy lances and swords. They are good multi-purpose troops able to harry a routing enemy and scout, as well as being very good at attacking an enemy on the flanks. They will not hold against heavy cavalry.

Mounted Knights - P 8 EP, U 12 EP
Mounted Knights are heavily armoured shock cavalry with swords and heavy lances. Their horses have armoured barding. They can route Peasants and even Spearmen alike, but are slow and vunerable to heavy missile infantry. They are very expensive to keep maintained. Mounted Knights are formed form the ranks of lords and barons and are often ill-disciplined, charging prematurely in the name of honour and glory.

Horse Archers - P 5 EP, U 5 EP
Horse Archers are tactically very useful. They are lightly armoured and very fast, allowing them to move into position and fire a few volleys into the enemy, then retreat before it can retalliate. Horse Archers also carry swords and can be used to chase down fleeing troops. They are not combat troops in nature, and the General that sends them into hand-to-hand combat with fully-formed enemy troops will lose the battle.

Artillery
All Artillery is purchased in the form of artillery pieces (a Catapult unit contains one Catapult).

Ballista - P 4 EP, U 4 EP
Ballistae are artillery from ancient times that throw a heavy bolt long distances. They are reasonably accurate but slow to reload and virtually inneffectual against stone fortifications.

Catapult - P 6 EP, U 6 EP
Catapults fling large stone projectiles long distances. They are slow to reload and too innacurrate for use on the field of battle, but can steadily wither away enemy fortifications.

Trebuchet - P 10 EP, U 10 EP
Trebuchet fling heavy stone projectiles over very long distances. They are very slow to reload but highly effective against fortifications. They are also very expensive to build and maintain.

Naval
One ship to a unit. Remember that medeival navies suck. They won't be playing an important role for a while. Ships can be wrecked in storms.

Cutter - P 8 EP, U 8 EP
Light naval craft confined to coastal waters and able to carry 100 men (so you'll need two to carry all units, since a cavalryman+horse counts as two infantrymen)

Caravel - P 12 EP, U 12 EP
Larger, faster sailing ship that is still confined to coastal waters. It can carry 200 men.

Galley - P 16 EP, U 16 EP
Galleys are larger vessels able to sail out on the seas, but not to the other continents. Galleys can carry two hundred men. They are reasonably fast and are less likely to be wrecked than a Caravel.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 15:51   #20
No Dachi

Lists: Race Advantages
You all have 10 civilization points except PK, who gets 11 for hosting the maps. You will be able to gain additional race advantage points as the thread goes on by doing noteworthy things (like winning a battle very convincingly, having a very strong economy for a few successive years, discovering a key advance first, etc).

Economic Advantages

Resilient Economy - putting points to this allows your economy to better resist the effects of war and such, basically decreasing the amount that your growth rate is reduced by in light of negative events.

Improved Economic Integration - putting points into this field reduces the amount that the income of a region you have just conquered decreases by.

Improved Agriculture - increases the income you gain from regions that are predominantly grassland.

Improved Mining - increases the income you gain from regions that are predominantly mountainous.

Improved Commerce - increases the income you gain from coastal regions by improving trade.

Military Advantages

Improved Spear Indantry - improves your spear infantry (includes Peasants, Spearmen, Spear Sergeants, Pikemen, etc)

Improved Heavy Infantry - improves your hevay infantry (includes Men-At-Arms, Halberdiers, etc)

Improved Archers - improves your archery infantry (includes Archers, Longbowmen)

Improved Crossbow Infantry - improves your crossbow infantry (includes Crossbowmen, Arbelesters)

Improved Ranged Cavalry - improves your ranged cavalry (includes Horse Archers, Dragoons)

Improved Light/Medium Cavalry - improves your light/medium cavalry (includes Light Cavalry, Medium Cavalry, Hussars, Lancers)

Improved Heavy Cavalry - improves your heavy cavalry (includes Mounted Knights, Cuirassiers, Caribineers)

Improved Siege Artillery - improves your siege artillery (includes Trebuchets, Siege Cannon)

Improved Heavy Artillery - improves your heavy artillery (includes Catapults, Heavy Cannon)

Improved Light Artillery - improves your light artillery (includes Ballistae, Light Cannon)

Improved Gunpowder Infantry - improves your gunpowder infantry (includes Musketeer, Conscript, Regular, Grenadier)

Improved Skirmish Infantry - improves your skirmish infantry (includes Skirmishers, Flintlock Riflemen)

Improved Sail Ships - improves your sailing ships (includes Caraval, Cutter, Galley)

Improved Cannon Ships - improves your cannon-armed sailing ships (includes Light Frigate, Heavy Frigate, Ship-of-the-Line, First-Rate)

Improved Steam Ships - improves your coal-burning ships (includes Steam Frigates, Gunboats, Destroyers, Light Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Battleships)

Improved Submersibles - improves your submarines (includes Submersible, Diesal Submarine, Attack Submarine, Missile Sumbarine)

Improved Aircraft Carriers - improves your aicraft carriers (includes Carrier, Fleet Carrier, Escort Carrier, Moden Carrier)

Improved Fighter Aircraft - improves your fighter aircraft (includes Fighter, Interceptor, Strike Fighter, Air Supriority Fighter)

Improved Bomber Aircraft - improves your bomber aircraft (includes Bomber, Dive-Bomber, Heavy Bomber, Medium Bomber, Strategic Bomber, Tactical Bomber)

Improved Modern Warships - improves your modern warships (includes Frigates, Destroyers, Guided Missile Destroyers, AEGIS Cruisers)

Improved Armour - improves your tanks and such (includes Tanks, Armour, Heavy Armour, Advanced Armour)

Improved Rifle Infantry - improves your turn of the century and early 20th century infantry (includes Imperial Infantry, Conscript Infantry, Proffessional Infantry, Elite Infantry)

Improved SMG Infantry - improves your modern infantry (includes Modern Infantry, Marine Infantry, Airborne Infantry, Mechanized Infantry)

Improved Modern Artillery - improves your modern artillery (includes Howitzer, Heavy Gun, Light Gun, Self-Propelled Gun, Rocket Artillery)

Improved Special Forces - improves your special forces (includes Stormtroopers, Commandos, Special Forces)

Improved Leadership - increases your chance of gaining new Generals.

Scientific Advantages

Improved Education - increases your chance of earning bonus breakthroughs.

Miscellaneous Advances

Improved Espionage - increases the ability of your spies, etc.

Advanced Culture - increases the loyalty of your populance.

Diplomatic Prowess - increases the chance that NPC nations will accept offers of treaties, alliance, etc.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:08   #21
No Dachi

All
The stuff is now up. Once you've made a race you can choose a region to start off in. PK has kindly agreed to host the physical and political maps for us.

This is the physical map pick a region from it and describe it to me, also pick a colour to represent your kingdom on the political map. political map

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:28   #22
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

*flapjack asks if he can be an assistent DM for ND*

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:36   #23
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

I will join (assuming flapjack does NOT get any dm powers) and claim that island at the south. Will post details later, but am in the middle of leaving uni for christmas, so this isnt my number 1 priority
I will be a nice blue, somthing like rgb 0,128,255
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:41   #24
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

region:-the largish one in the north of the 'america-like' continent, bordered on the north by a light blue thing, two to the right of the funny pale dull green land. (i assume the colours on the map mean something, but i dont know what ).
colour:- rgb(191,34,38)
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:43   #25
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

i guess the funny pale green is grass, the dark green is forests, the gray is mountains, the light blueish is big rivers and the dark blueish is sea

the only thing i'm worrying about is the red colour of that little land on the political map, it might mean it's already inhabited

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:58   #26
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
i guess the funny pale green is grass, the dark green is forests, the gray is mountains, the light blueish is big rivers and the dark blueish is sea

the only thing i'm worrying about is the red colour of that little land on the political map, it might mean it's already inhabited
the already coloured regions are already taken, im the light green one in the south-west.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:28   #27
No Dachi

All
I have been a very bad and foolish ND, because I neglected to mention that you can only pick regions on the northwesternmost continent for your capital.

Keys and such
I would've thought this was self-explanatory but nm.

Pale-ish green: grass
Dark green: forest
Yellow: desert
Grey: mountains
Blue: seas/ocean
Light blue lines: major rivers (smaller rivers not shown)
Red lines: regional borders

And, on the political map so far:

Crimson = Crazy
Lime green = PK
Pale green = Badger

Twin
Bad, foolish ND that I am, I did indeed neglect to mention that only regions from the northwest continent are allowed. Your colour preference has been noted.

Lestat
Could you be a little more specific about where it is on the America-like continent (which I think is the northwestern one anyway), what kind of terrain is in it and where the terrain is, etc. Colour preference noted.

Flapjack
No, you cannot be assisstant DM. Pick a region/nation/whatever.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:39   #28
No Dachi

All - Rule Ammednment
In-game years now take one day instead of two. This will be editted into the rules.

All
When I say 'you must start on the northwestern continent', that does not include the southwestern bit attached to it.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:51   #29
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Name of region:
Mittelreich
[170/7/141]

Race advantages:
Improved Agriculture level 1
Improved Agriculture level 2
Improved Agriculture level 3
Improved Commerce level 1
Improved Commerce level 2
Economic Integration level 1
Resilient Economy level 1
Diplomatic Prowess level 1
Diplomatic Prowess level 2
Advanced Culture level 1

Starting units:
Peasants (U:1)
Mounted Knights (U:0)
Caravel (U:12)

National History:
Mittelreich was recently formed as a result of the peace between its two native tribes. The Harryd, on the coast, and the Ensana, a culture of farmers, had inhabited the strategically important corridor between Lestaria and [Badgerdom] an subsequently found themselves frequently at war with invaders. When hostilities between Badgerdom and Lestaria cooled, the Harryd and Ensana, with nobody else to fight, fought each other. Finally, a peace was made and the nation of Mittelreich - formed from a dead language in the absence of anything native to both tongues - was born.

Cultural background:

Last edited by Phang; 22 Dec 2003 at 19:14.
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 18:02   #30
No Dachi

Quote:
Lestat
Could you be a little more specific about where it is on the America-like continent (which I think is the northwestern one anyway), what kind of terrain is in it and where the terrain is, etc. Colour preference noted.
Disregard that, I think I know where you meant. You're now on the map.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 20:35   #31
No Dachi

All - Regarding Maps
Phang has had a very clever idea. He's enlarged the map showing his region and placed on all the major towns. This will allow him to better prepare his military for defending the region by telling me where each division/whatever is placed.

Major geographical features such as seas, oceans, bays, forests and mountain ranges can now be named by you if you are in the area.

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 22:18   #32
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

ND, give me yer e-mail and i'll send 't to you.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 22:40   #33
No Dachi

All - Regarding Initial Population
Phang and IB have both inquired as to what your initial population is. You decide this yourself, within reason. According to Domesday Book data, England's population at the start of the medieval period was 2.8 million. This number give or take 500,000 would be fine.

All - Incomes
Some people already have theirs, I'll do the rest tomorrow.

All - Contacting Me
If you need to email me for whatever reason, my address is [email protected]

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 14:43   #34
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

I'll take the tiny nation in the south eastern corner of the continent. It's the penniula one with the river delta.

My colour is GOLD.

Ruler Name
King Hewitt the I

Kingdom Name
Terra Australis

Kingdom profile
Resiliant Ecconomy - 2
Improved Agriculture - 3
Improved Commerce - 3
Advanced Culture - 2

Currency
1 EP = 2 $AUS

Population
KINGDOM CENSUS (and main townships)
Terra Australis (Capital) - 726,850

Northern Shire - 461,922
Dawn - 196,078
Nambar - 112,514
New Springs - 82,727
Barrow Downs - 13,406

Kingsland - 222,829
Risbane - 62,750
Isa - 21,420
Airns - 20,459
Bunda - 20,103
Kingsville - 16,345
Noosi - 12,010
Gymstone - 11,204
Beerbum - 10,986
Red Bridge - 10,003

Hewitt - 140,125
Glenbourne - 36,432
Calburn - 17,098
Balla - 12,151
Helong - 11,872
Meadows - 10,012

Total Population - 1,541,723

Kingdom Military
King's Guards - 0 EP Upkeep
1 Mounted Cavalry

1st Infantry Division - 6 EP Upkeep
1 Men-at-arms

The rabble - 4 EP Upkeep
4 Peasants

Culture
Um... yeah, it's a work in progress.

History
I'll tell you once the palace library is finished.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 22 Dec 2003 at 14:24.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 15:22   #35
No Dachi

Hewitt
Fine, you've been added to the map. Your initial income is 86 EP (small nation, but you got lots of economic bonuses). I spent a while perfecting a lovely golden hue for your kingdom on the political map, as per your instructions.

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 15:30   #36
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Eeeexxxcccceeelllleeennntttt......

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 16:53   #37
No Dachi

All
I now have all of your Generals' stats calculated. Be aware that you can always use 4/4/4/4 average Generals that you make up.

Lists: Generals

Crazy, Kingdom of Roldem
Duke Reiner of East Fold - 3/7/4/8
Duke Raykir of West Fold - 5/3/10/2

Fluffie, Kingdom of Ios
Lord [-] of [-] - 6/2/10/6
Lord [-] of [-] - 7/1/9/5

Phang, Kingdom of Mittelreich
Lord Gwythenwyn of Lymbryd - 10/4/2/5
Lord Cassanata of Brossana - 9/5/5/5

Badger, Kingdom of Badgerdom
Lord [-] of [-] - 3/5/4/6
Lord [-] of [-] - 9/6/3/5

Lestat, Kingdom of Lestaria
Lord de Berre - 7/1/1/3
Lord Mestrin of Ethreal - 3/10/3/6

PK, Kingdom of -
Lord [-] of [-] - 4/10/6/8
Lord [-] of [-] - 2/9/1/1

Twin
3/7/7/1
2/1/6/4

Hewitt, Kingdom of Terra Australis
Lord [-] of [-] - 8/2/10/7
Lord [-] of [-] - 7/7/9/7

Tell me if I left anyone out.

All - Starting Incomes
I have most figured out completely, but a lot of you haven't told me your race advantages yet, so for some of you there's only a base, unmodified initial income.

Lists: Incomes
Phang: 90 EP
Crazy: 105 EP
Hewitt: 86 EP
Badger: 90 EP (base)
PK: 90 EP (base)
Fluffie: 90 EP (base)
Lestat: 89 EP (base, lots of forest)
Twin: ???

Last edited by No Dachi; 21 Dec 2003 at 17:32.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 17:17   #38
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Economic Advantages
Resilient Economy - lvl1
Improved Commerce -lvl1
Military Advantages
Improved Archers - lvl1
Improved Siege Artillery - lvl1
Improved Sail Ships - lvl1
Improved Leadership - lvl1
Scientific Advantages
Improved Education - lvl1
Miscellaneous Advances
Advanced Culture - lvl2
Diplomatic Prowess - lvl1

King Lestat of Kingdom of Lestoria
Lord de berre 6/8/9/8
Lord Mestrin of Ethreal - 3/10/3/6

Army
mounted knights -1 unit
peasents- 4 units
Longbowmen- 1 unit

cash
89 EP (base)
currency, lestoran crown. one lestoran crown = one EP.

Budget of the Kingdom of lestoria, FY 1080
Total income FY 1079: 89 EP
Total re-invested 1079: 89 EP
Growth rate FY 1079: 0%
Total Income FY 1080: 89EP

Bureaucracy: 9 EP
War: 30 EP
Internal Security: 8EP
Re-investment: 40 EP

spending on teh army-
1 * Spear Sergeants - P 4 EP, U 4 EP
2 * Spearmen - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
2 * Longbowmen - P 4 EP, U 6 EP
4* scirmishers - P 2 EP, U 2 EP
1 * Mounted Sergeants - P 6 EP, U 6 EP

Population - 2.9million (land's bigger than England from what i can tell, but its pretty heavily forested /ooc/ shouldn't i get some kind of a bonus for that, ie wood as a material is plentiful...\ooc\)

Last edited by vampire_lestat; 21 Dec 2003 at 21:26.
vampire_lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 17:34   #39
No Dachi

Lestat
You income has risen, editted the new one my previous post.

All
If the combined stat of one of your Generals is below 16 (e.g, 3/4/4/3 is below 16) you may request of me to 'roll' that General's stats again. This will only happen once, and you have to stick with the result.

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:12   #40
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

Economic Advantages
Resilient Economy - Lv1
Improved Economic Integration - Lv1
Improved Agriculture - Lv2
Improved Commerce - Lv2

Millitary Advantages
Improved Leadership - Lv1

Scientific Advantages
Improved Education - Lv1

Miscellaneous Advances
Improved Espionage - Lv1
Advanced Culture - Lv1
Diplomatic Prowess - Lv1

King PK of the Kingdom of Phoenix
Lord James the Pierce - 4/10/6/8
Lord John the Saint - 4/8/7/7

Army
4 Units of Peasants (P 4 EP, U 4 EP)
1 Unit of Mounted Knights (P 8 EP, U 12 EP)
1 Unit of Horse Archers (P 5 EP, U 5 EP)

Currency
105 EP (base)
1 Phoenix Rupee = 1EP

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics

Last edited by Planetkiller II; 21 Dec 2003 at 21:41.
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:17   #41
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

nd, reroll lord de berre pls. (Lord de Berre - 7/1/1/3, sum = 12 )
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 18:24   #42
No Dachi

PK
Income risen to 105 EP by merit of race advantages.

Lord John the Saint rerolled: 4/8/7/7

Lestat
Lord de Berre rerolled: 6/8/9/8 (you lucky sonofa...)

Unread 21 Dec 2003, 21:26   #43
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

two questions:- where's the afforementioned tech tree, and when is this all going to get underway?
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 21:45   #44
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
two questions:- where's the afforementioned tech tree, and when is this all going to get underway?
1) I haven't made it yet.
2) When I make the tech tree, and when ET posts the new region.

Unread 22 Dec 2003, 05:37   #45
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Hewitt
Fine, you've been added to the map. Your initial income is 86 EP (small nation, but you got lots of economic bonuses). I spent a while perfecting a lovely golden hue for your kingdom on the political map, as per your instructions.
Just curious but are said bonuses race related, map related or both? (That delta has gotta be useful for something)

Anywho, what's the scale for the map? I'm trying to determine a good history/culture for my kingdom and the size of the place will determine whether I make it a citystate or just a small kingdom.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 22 Dec 2003 at 05:44.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 10:42   #46
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hewitt: The delta provides an excellent defensive location
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 11:14   #47
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

dudududud

dachi ought to check his mail!
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 13:40   #48
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Really? Groovy

Anywho, history/culture up shortly. See my kingdom post above.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 18:49   #49
No Dachi

All
Checked my email, etc.

So far, I need the following things from the following people:

Fluffie - having read the email, nothing
Phang - nothing
Lestat - nothing
Hewitt - nothing that you're not doing at the moment.
PK - kingdom history, kingdom cultural background
Badger - kingdom name (you implied that Badgerdom wasn't permanent), kingdom history, kingdom cultural background, race advantages
Evil Twin - new starting region, kingdom name, kingdom history, kingdom cultural background, race advantages
Crazy - kingdom history, kingdom cultural background, race advantages

Please try to get these done as soon as possible.

Anyone else... who wishes to join is welcome to.

Hewitt
Rivers offer a good defensive bonus when combined with a suitably apt General. You have several rivers, dividing your region into several easily-defended sections.

Unread 22 Dec 2003, 20:11   #50
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

hewitt isn't on the map yet .