User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Dec 2005, 02:02   #1
orichalon
[ToF]Ori

orichalon can only hope to improve
Amount of resources from Asteroids

Currently each asteroid gives a base amount of 250 extra resources. The amount you gain is obviously affected by mining priorities, constructions and so on. What I would suggest, is that the amount of resources from each asteroid is increased to 1000. This is simply because the game is more exciting with bigger numbers of ships.

Big numbers simply = more interesting to new players. They will be more curious about a game where you get to command 100000 ships instead of a game where u only command a quarter of that number. This would not only in my opinion increase interest from new players, but also spark interest and more fun for current and veteran players, because everyone likes big wars, big battles, big attacks and defence, more than small ones.
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 03:03   #2
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of
Re: Amount of resources from Asteroids

I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna say the same here - bigger numbers equate to the same things.

Would you be more upset if you lost 28000 ships instead of 7000? By your logic yes. And more likely to quit?

If you like big numbers, play xandathrii.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 04:56   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna say the same here - bigger numbers equate to the same things.

Would you be more upset if you lost 28000 ships instead of 7000? By your logic yes. And more likely to quit?

If you like big numbers, play xandathrii.
I generally agree with Shyne. The other issue is, more resource per roid means the bigger players can pull away even faster, because their net gain is way more then for the smaller players. So a larger amount of resources per roid only really helps the larger players. If you want to increase the resources in the game the better choice might be to decrease the cost to initiate new roids thereby increasing the total number of roids in the game, rather then increasing the value of each roid. This would make it more cost effective for the little guys to rebuild their roid count quicker. I'm not really advicating this, I think the current system works well, but if there was going to be a change I would rather see it be in the initiation side of things not the resource per roid side of things.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 15:20   #4
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orichalon
Currently each asteroid gives a base amount of 250 extra resources. The amount you gain is obviously affected by mining priorities, constructions and so on. What I would suggest, is that the amount of resources from each asteroid is increased to 1000. This is simply because the game is more exciting with bigger numbers of ships.

Big numbers simply = more interesting to new players. They will be more curious about a game where you get to command 100000 ships instead of a game where u only command a quarter of that number. This would not only in my opinion increase interest from new players, but also spark interest and more fun for current and veteran players, because everyone likes big wars, big battles, big attacks and defence, more than small ones.
Problem here would be:

with 1 roid atm (250) you can buy 1 sentinel (XAN). If a roid is worth 1000, you can buy 4 sentinels with every 1 roid.

This means that the factor 'roid' will become 4 times more important in PA. This means if you cap roids from someone, you'll gain 4 times more from this. The target will suffer 4 times more.

This basicly makes the gap between those having roids and those losing roids bigger, which makes it alot harder for alliances to recover, for planets to rebuild or get back to the average after being hit.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 15:22   #5
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Problem here would be:

with 1 roid atm (250) you can buy 1 sentinel (XAN). If a roid is worth 1000, you can buy 4 sentinels with every 1 roid.

This means that the factor 'roid' will become 4 times more important in PA. This means if you cap roids from someone, you'll gain 4 times more from this. The target will suffer 4 times more.

This basicly makes the gap between those having roids and those losing roids bigger, which makes it alot harder for alliances to recover, for planets to rebuild or get back to the average after being hit.
This isn't actually true. (Hint: while the absolute differences will become larger, the relative differences won't change.)
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 15:36   #6
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
This isn't actually true. (Hint: while the absolute differences will become larger, the relative differences won't change.)
You got a point there. But the absolute difference will make an impact on how alliance and players play. Their moral might drop because of this.

If an alliance loses 10k roids, this means at the current rate, the gaining side can make 10k sentinels more an hour. If a roid is worth 4 times more, they'll make 40k more sentinels per tick.

Do this for 10 ticks. the winning side will get 400k sents. I'm speaking about BONUS ships here ofcourse, on top of their normal income. If a roid was worth 1sentinel (as it is now), then losing 10k roids would mean the winning side will gain 100k sents over 10 ticks. What does this mean?

After 10 ticks:

Current roidvalue = winners have 100k sents extra
New roidvalue = winners have 400k sents extra

The difference here is that the BONUS you get from stealing roids will be 4 times bigger, hence the EXTRA ship you can build will be 4 times more.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Dec 2005, 15:56   #7
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You got a point there. But the absolute difference will make an impact on how alliance and players play. Their moral might drop because of this.

If an alliance loses 10k roids, this means at the current rate, the gaining side can make 10k sentinels more an hour. If a roid is worth 4 times more, they'll make 40k more sentinels per tick.

Do this for 10 ticks. the winning side will get 400k sents. I'm speaking about BONUS ships here ofcourse, on top of their normal income. If a roid was worth 1sentinel (as it is now), then losing 10k roids would mean the winning side will gain 100k sents over 10 ticks. What does this mean?

After 10 ticks:

Current roidvalue = winners have 100k sents extra
New roidvalue = winners have 400k sents extra

The difference here is that the BONUS you get from stealing roids will be 4 times bigger, hence the EXTRA ship you can build will be 4 times more.
actually the relative difference doesn't change at all.... say alliance X had 20k roids and loses the 10k in 1 tick to alliance B who also have 20k roids (like your example).

Currently, A would be able to build 10k sents after they are stolen, and alliance B can make 30k after they are being stolen.
With the change it would mean alliance A can build 40k sents and alliance B can build 120k sents extra, which still is a 1:3 relation, so effectively doesn't change anything.

The only thing that indeed might change is the moral after losing x-thousand ships again, but then again, they are just as easily replaced as you could have replaced the x-hundred ships you would have lost the current way. Its just a matter of what you like more, small numbers or high ones (which could also be changed to making the ships cheaper or more expensive ofc..)
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 16:10   #8
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
actually the relative difference doesn't change at all.... say alliance X had 20k roids and loses the 10k in 1 tick to alliance B who also have 20k roids (like your example).

Currently, A would be able to build 10k sents after they are stolen, and alliance B can make 30k after they are being stolen.
With the change it would mean alliance A can build 40k sents and alliance B can build 120k sents extra, which still is a 1:3 relation, so effectively doesn't change anything.

The only thing that indeed might change is the moral after losing x-thousand ships again, but then again, they are just as easily replaced as you could have replaced the x-hundred ships you would have lost the current way. Its just a matter of what you like more, small numbers or high ones (which could also be changed to making the ships cheaper or more expensive ofc..)
Heh, you're correct here (as was Jester). I didn't take in mind that the relative difference in ship would be the same. So having 120k incs compared to 30k incs is the same if you have 40k defence compared to 10k ...

All in all, more value means more ship. This means far more losses during battles. The only result this might have imo, is that those losing will be demoralized more and those winning will get an even bigger moral boost.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Dec 2005, 17:06   #9
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

how about a blast from the past where if you have less than 100 of a certin roid it gained more than if you had 100 or more

so if you have less than 100 roids of A type, each roid of type A gains like 350 per tick else its gains 250 per tick

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 17:38   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
All in all, more value means more ship. This means far more losses during battles. The only result this might have imo, is that those losing will be demoralized more and those winning will get an even bigger moral boost.
i'd have said that it's the loss of invested time, rather than the loss of ships, that gets people down. if i loose a weeks worth of ships it doesn't realy matter how many i lost, i'm still a week behind.

the real issue here, it would seem, is how changing the output of roids would affefct other areas of the game, for example finance and mining centres, and the balance between value and experience. giving more resources per roid would have a real terms effect on all of these.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 11:22   #11
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i'd have said that it's the loss of invested time, rather than the loss of ships, that gets people down. if i loose a weeks worth of ships it doesn't realy matter how many i lost, i'm still a week behind.

the real issue here, it would seem, is how changing the output of roids would affefct other areas of the game, for example finance and mining centres, and the balance between value and experience. giving more resources per roid would have a real terms effect on all of these.
I agree, roids for instance would be far more important then now. This might and probably will have a determining impact on wars, on how alliances defend their members etc. Atm, roidlosses mean nothing, aslong as you keep your fleet alive.

Also, mines would virtually become useless. A roid would gain asmuch resources then 1 mine.

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 Dec 2005, 04:40   #12
Ron7684
Eat My Roids

Ron7684 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Also, mines would virtually become useless. A roid would gain asmuch resources then 1 mine.
So make em 10k / tick

Its a fun idea, wont change anything in gameplay really. Because everything is relative, if you want this to be the EXACT same just more ships, all you have to do is take each ship cost down by x%. so nothing else changes and u just get however many times more ships than now. So really, it all depends on what the community likes, atm im happy with it, but i would care if this comes into play because it doesnt affect any gameplay at all.

The one thing is though, dont bother making suggestions now. Id say wait until PAN hits then see what there is, maybe ur idea is already in there , kloopy IS the sneaky type
Unread 9 Dec 2005, 05:02   #13
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Bigger numbers are pointless though !

The development team certainly have better things to work on right now.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote