User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 8 Nov 2005, 01:28   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
[Suggestion] Decrease research time

With the recent cuts in round time, may I suggest that the PA-crew start looking at making research times shorter? As it is now it takes almost half round to get to full research and this is kind of boring atm. I would love to see a shortening of researchtimes atleast 10% or something in around there.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 01:39   #2
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Suggestion] Decrease research time

Although, the whole point of reducing the round length was to reduce Stagnation, even boredom. Researches and the things you unlock by doing them support the idea. I don't think it's such a bad thing to be "unlocking" new options mid-round.

In a strategic sense, having long Researches helps reward those players that choose their Research and Engineering cleverly.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 10:43   #3
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Kargool is saying is still have long times, but not as long as they are at the moment. I support this totally as Kargool mentioned the round length is shorter then in theory to keep all things equal, the research times should be shortened
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 12:12   #4
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with this is atm the lengh of the reserches can be greatly affected by engineering and reserch labs if you shorten the time then you shorten the effectivness of this and it takes the advantage away from the people who are being crafty in what they choose.

Is it relly such a hardship to continue doing your reserch uptill halfway through a round? because everyone is in the same position it shoudnt make much of a difference except to those people who choose cath for the advantage and use skilled use of labs and engineering.

Im against the change as i see it as being unecessery
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 12:36   #5
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I think it could be abit more fun to have research full tech tree alot earlier. Because as it is now it is both boring to first wait till u finish for example speed research, and waiting 12 hours before you land etc... The multitude of boredom and stuff
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 19:44   #6
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I actually find that more fun than the last 1300 ticks with eta -4, maybe I'm just wierd.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 20:16   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I think research time is as good as they should be. No need for a change tbh

Last edited by Nadar; 8 Nov 2005 at 20:24.
Nadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 20:26   #8
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I remember back when PAX was in its development stages. The whole point of researches as they were was that the research tree would take a very long time to complete or even not be completable in a round. Having it like this makes people prioritise, makes them think about playing and means that there are different ways to play, and that whilst one person might have an advantage in one way, someone else will have an advantage in another. I like it as it is and would personally like to see either more researches added in, or them being made to take longer.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 21:14   #9
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

should not be able to finish all of it before the round ends tbh that way you have to pick and chose what you want and what you need

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 21:55   #10
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that bothers me is having to research for asteroid mining. But then again, like Bashar said, its what makes the game interesting. The current game is pretty straight forward, and one of the few things you have to use ur brain at is deciding what to research next (especially at a early stage). Its fun to see ppl launching with a high variety of eta's (FI/CO ranging from eta 7 till eta 11), do you sacrifice a extra eta decrease for more income from roids (HCT).

I pwetty much agree with all Bashar said (and am jsut repeating him in different words - bad me).

I would like to see more deep researches, like a few basic ships every race has, but after that you research specific ships for your race and even then there are several options to choose from. I'd like it if there is a set to choose from for each race, its probably hard to balance (don't ask me how, i can't make stats just give my opinion on them), but can be quite fun if done correctly. For example you have a FI-Research, CO-research, FR-research, DE-research, CR-research and BS research (with a slightlt faster research time ofc as each class now would have its own research), at each stage you'd have to decide which type of ship you'd want.

Each ship class characteristic would be the same (the ship class and its target), but depending on the type you choose you get a slightly different ship. At each class research you can make the descision again, option A or B, that way you could get a pure A fleet, pure B fleet or a mix between A and B.

For a Terran you could choose between the big expensive type ship, or cheaper, slighty weaker armoured and earlier firing ship.
With Cathaar the choice could be between EMP or normal kill ship
Xan could choose between having Cloaked or non-cloaked units (the cloak one being early fire weak armour, non cloak later fire better armour).
And Zik could choose between Steal and normal kill ship.

This is ofcourse a rough set and certainly not "well-thought-through" yet (and slightly off-topic), but i like the idea (in the right format) never the less .
Unread 15 Nov 2005, 08:46   #11
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

Indeed.. expending the research and shorting the research time would be adding to the game.. the more option there s the more a decision a player must choose carefully..
one way to get back at the idea of different ships and the need of different element need would be to allow ship customisation :ex: have reseach co. then open up option to choose between normal damage, emp or steal, only 2 of the 3 could be used , but not combined. so everyone would be able to "design" their ships according to their taste.. the template for each ship following the race of origin.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote