User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 May 2005, 21:28   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
[Discuss] Get rid of Finance Centres

As we all know you need to have 800 roids for it to be economical to build a Finance Centre instead of a Refinery (the number of roids varies depending on how far down the Core Resources tech tree you are, how many Refineries you have built, how many Finance Centres you have built and how much Mining bonus you get). As things stand at the moment most people don't have 800 roids and I think this will also be true towards the end of the round.

The bigger planets out there are getting a huge advantage from their Finance Centres. At the moment the planet with the most roids has 3662 roids. He is getting 4577 resources per tick per Finance Centre. This is obscene people!

So I think the best thing to do is to scrap Finance Centres for next round.

Refineries are fine, they can stay
Unread 8 May 2005, 22:20   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Get rid of Finance Centres

seconded
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 01:07   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Perhaps finance centres could be adjusted to increase their yield, but reduce the maximum number of them.

say, each one gave you +10% instead of 5%, but you are restricted to at most 20 of them (instead of the current 60). This would have the effect of making them more viable for a much greater number of planets, but reducing their capacity to permit the largest planets from running away and growing exponentially with them.

Obviously, each finance centre would give you more resources this way, but overall give less.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 01:29   #4
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I disagree.

Whilst I agree with the basic sentiment (that finance centers give a big advantage to large planets), removing them would simply result in the big planets having a lot more wave amps, distorters and security centers. This would remove many of the tactical options which can currently be used against them.
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 01:52   #5
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

and just be cause this round not meny people have high roid counts does mean this will be true in other round and they could very well be of use though some upgrades to them would be nice

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 18:45   #6
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

i like finance centres

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 19:14   #7
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

don't they give .5 not 5? 10% per centre x 20 centres = too much monies
But I agree in that finance centres don't work for caths as a high gain high loss race, and benefit one group of players over another to a rather hyped extent. Plus it helps Xans, which I'm usually opposed to. Stupid equal resource cost ships

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 21:10   #8
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

/me pets his 60 FCs and grins

what yall complaining about their great
Unread 11 May 2005, 20:00   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
/me pets his 60 FCs and grins

what yall complaining about their great

/me pats his to

I have had mine for a few weeks now i have to concur

Unread 12 May 2005, 14:00   #10
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

finance center gives u plus 1,5 % res/tick...

so bout 250 roids(with one res. reseach) u get over 1k res... total... so it would be better as one refinery....

so where the prob...
and i dont build mining centers... if i start with finance centers.... they will gave me every time 1,5% and not only 1k.... so what

AND if i dont have mining centers... i would push it in dissorters lol
or amps...
Unread 13 May 2005, 00:34   #11
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsmurf
finance center gives u plus 1,5 % res/tick...

so bout 250 roids(with one res. reseach) u get over 1k res... total... so it would be better as one refinery....

so where the prob...
and i dont build mining centers... if i start with finance centers.... they will gave me every time 1,5% and not only 1k.... so what

AND if i dont have mining centers... i would push it in dissorters lol
or amps...
Your math is completely flawed

You're not even making half that.
Unread 13 May 2005, 20:50   #12
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Your math is completely flawed

You're not even making half that.
nope

250*250+planetmining*0,015= bout 1k res
Unread 14 May 2005, 06:49   #13
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

hellsmurf, it's 0.5% (so 250*250+planetmining*0.005 = a lot less than 1k res)

RTFM
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:19   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
hellsmurf, it's 0.5% (so 250*250+planetmining*0.005 = a lot less than 1k res)

RTFM
Hmm. i was under the impression that finance centres give 0.5% of each resource - thus 0.5% * 3 = 0.15%. cf to Mines which give 1000 of one resource.
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:23   #15
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsmurf
nope

250*250+planetmining*0,015= bout 1k res
So wtf, according to your erroneous formula you only get a fianance center bonus on what your planet mines. Which would have to be a negative number in order to bring (250 * 250) down to "bout 1k res" Good job. Great argument. Really.
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:23   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Perhaps finance centres could be adjusted to increase their yield, but reduce the maximum number of them.

say, each one gave you +10% instead of 5%, but you are restricted to at most 20 of them (instead of the current 60). This would have the effect of making them more viable for a much greater number of planets, but reducing their capacity to permit the largest planets from running away and growing exponentially with them.

Obviously, each finance centre would give you more resources this way, but overall give less.
I know quoting yourself is lame, but i think my (imo ) brilliant idea didnt get any recognition whatsoever - whilst it would appear to me to give the best of both worlds.

discuss
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:26   #17
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
So wtf, according to your erroneous formula you only get a fianance center bonus on what your planet mines. Which would have to be a negative number in order to bring (250 * 250) down to "bout 1k res" Good job. Great argument. Really.
Obviously he meant to include brackets there mate. Some people (like me) arent all that good with maths and/or just forget the BIMDAS rules.

Thus:

(250*250+planetmining)*0,015= bout 1k res
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:31   #18
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Hmm. i was under the impression that finance centres give 0.5% of each resource - thus 0.5% * 3 = 0.15%. cf to Mines which give 1000 of one resource.
A roid doesn't give you 250 res for each type of res. It only gives you 250 res for one type. The type it is. A finance center only give you .005 res PER ROID. NOT PER ROID PER RESOURCE. wtf are you people smoking?

READ ------> http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=184688
Unread 14 May 2005, 07:32   #19
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Obviously he meant to include brackets there mate. Some people (like me) arent all that good with maths and/or just forget the BIMDAS rules.

Thus:

(250*250+planetmining)*0,015= bout 1k res
No, it's not obvious that he meant to include them. Yes, you are bad at math.
Unread 14 May 2005, 08:56   #20
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
I know quoting yourself is lame, but i think my (imo ) brilliant idea didnt get any recognition whatsoever - whilst it would appear to me to give the best of both worlds.

discuss
Well, reducing the bonus of Finance Centres from 30% to 20% would help. However the problem still remains that big planets are getting more resources out of it than small planets. I still think the better solution would be to remove Finance Centres altogether.
Unread 14 May 2005, 10:01   #21
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Finance centers might give extra resources, but at the cost of either security centers, research labs or wave amps. Lack of any of those three can be a huge tactical disadvantage, one that can outweigh the benefits of finance centers. It's a strategic choice, and a fairly balanced one at that.

Regarding small planets... can't they just build refineries instead of FCs?
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2005, 00:08   #22
Bodders

Bodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura aboutBodders has a spectacular aura about

Limiting them might be a good idea but most ppl tend to be paranoid about security and go for jammers and security centers so it would not make much of a difference. Based on what ive have seen this round.

Overall i like it how it is leaves you open to many possibilites to copmliment ur strategy.
Unread 17 May 2005, 00:05   #23
noah02
The Original Terran

This game is all about choices the more we have the better

Unread 17 May 2005, 06:59   #24
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodders
Limiting them might be a good idea but most ppl tend to be paranoid about security and go for jammers and security centers so it would not make much of a difference. Based on what ive have seen this round.

Overall i like it how it is leaves you open to many possibilites to copmliment ur strategy.
That is true. The other day I saw a guy who had 2000 roids, 30 distorters and not a single Finance Centre. Very strange. If I had that many roids I'd get 60 Finance Centres as soon as possible.
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:36   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:

I think thats a reasonable idea.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 13:33   #26
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Re: [Discuss] Get rid of Finance Centres

I've changed my mind, Finance Centres should stay, and as they are.

As has already been mentioned 60 Finance Centres is a large chunk of your total Structures. Having these drastically reduces the number of amps and distorters you can have, thereby increasing the tactical options for attackers and attackees alike. Do you build distorters to make people not want to launch at you? Or do you build Finance Centres to make yourself roid-skinny thereby making people not want to launch at you?