User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 4 Oct 2004, 20:40   #1
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road
PATeam query

Although i am not saying the "passport" was perfect, I am mildy intrigued why PA seems to have gone back to using the round8 portal.. except with a black background instead of blue

some may say i am bitter, quite the contrary if this is the way pa wishes to go no sweat of my nose.. however i do have a certain amount of idle curiosity

and.. if you are going to reuse the old portal.. at least update it
you still have the round8 credits

for reference
rnd 8 - http://web.archive.org/web/200210022...anetarion.com/
rnd 9 - http://web.archive.org/web/200403061...anetarion.com/

(i admit at least 1 change from rnd8 is the linkage to the forums.. though i assume that was just a copy of my code from the passport)
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 20:55   #2
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: PATeam query

I think Kloopy is doing the portal again, and as he coded the r8, and it did the job, probably felt that he might as well use it, and just update it.

I would suspect there would have been some problem with the passport system, or maybe it just wasn't used much or something, as it was originally his idea to do it, and he was VERY fond of the idea, so I can't imagine he would ditch it without good reason, having said that, I don't know the reason.

Mind you, credits bit is still amusing, surprised that wasn't taken off. You must admit though, it brings back some memories :-)
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 23:37   #3
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Kloopy has yet to put my gfx in. He said hopefully by Thuesday/Wednesday they will be up.
At the time the round 8 option seemed the most fitting.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 23:40   #4
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmulian
and.. if you are going to reuse the old portal.. at least update it
you still have the round8 credits
Updated
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 02:02   #5
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Although i am not saying the "passport" was perfect, I am mildy intrigued why PA seems to have gone back to using the round8 portal.. except with a black background instead of blue
Hopefully because they have more important things to do than make yet another flash new portal.
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 02:09   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: PATeam query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Hopefully because they have more important things to do than make yet another flash new portal.
Yeah--although that never stopped them before.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 08:39   #7
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Yeah--although that never stopped them before.
Oh certainly.. it stopped them from doing the more important things most of the time it seems
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 08:54   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the passport is not scrapped or cancelled or anything, this was just the quickest way to get some of the things we wanted on the portal itself in e.g. columns. We had a few options - recode form scratch, use something kloopy was familiar with, or base on roudn 11 stuff. In the short term it was easiest to use something kloopy was familiar with but to update the graphics and content which is what will be happening in the run up to tick start.

It is my sincere hope that round 13 will have the passport system in a fully functional state with a portal that actually has lots of useful content and a use other than looking pretty.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 09:33   #9
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

How long is that password thingy in production already anyways? 4/5 rounds? Imho total waste of time, but who am I
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 12:20   #10
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
How long is that password thingy in production already anyways? 4/5 rounds?
It was being produced back in r10, maybe even as far back as r9 but i'm not certain on that. It was definately meant to be up and running for r11, but then got put back to r12 and now seems to have been put off indefinately.

Never really seen the big deal about it tbh, and it is about time less effort was put into making a brand spanking new portal that nobody looks at and instead that time and effort put into the game.

P.S. Hi Karm long time no see .
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 13:40   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I asked blixxard about this yesterday evening on IRC already, but he has little control over it as he just does the graphics. Apparently PA Team thinks it's the best option to go back to the PA Portal that was most disliked in PA's entire history, slap on some new graphics a few weeks later, and have the idea that it's the bestest portal ever.

It doesn't quite surprise me anymore.
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 14:21   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I definitly prefer the current portal to the round 9/10 one myself.

It makes all of the content easily accessible as well

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 5 Oct 2004, 15:16   #13
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

that for sure

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 18:47   #14
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

i love this portal

if brings back memory's
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 18:51   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

From a useability point of view, you are entirely correct.

From the perspective that people randomly wandering onto www.planetarion.com should see that this is a game, and entice them enough to at the very least check it out and perhaps sign up, it's about the worst possible decision. Especially around signup time.
Quote:
"In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times."
-- American Beauty
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 18:52   #16
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

you mean the Rnd10/11 one.... as the round 9 one is the same one we have now

and not to call you a sheep or anything but you called last rounds the best one ever.. etc etc...

lo JC

gripe over.. question answered, though not to a hugely satisfactory degree.. but it tells me what i wanted to know

Ta muchly

Karm
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 18:57   #17
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I love your signature, Karm.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 19:53   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
you mean the Rnd10/11 one.... as the round 9 one is the same one we have now

and not to call you a sheep or anything but you called last rounds the best one ever.. etc etc...

lo JC

gripe over.. question answered, though not to a hugely satisfactory degree.. but it tells me what i wanted to know

Ta muchly

Karm
i meant 10/10.5 then, i liked the round 11 portal myself, but it was hindered withotu the passport up and running behind it.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???