User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Do you prefer old (r1-9.5) PA or new (r10->) PA?
Old! 67 71.28%
New! 27 28.72%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:11   #1
nathan123

nathan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Old or New

Really this thread is based on the title. Mostly i just need to know what u liked better Old PA or New PA. Take consideration into both of these, for instance the Old PA used to have PDS, asteroid scans, 20 in a gal, and stuff like that. For the New PA think of Covert ops, engineering, XP and stuff like that.

When u post, all I want to know is, which 1 u liked best, so just put Old or New and a reason for it.

Ill start it off with Old, as I preferred the 20 in a gal idea and where u had to scan for asteroids as it gave a more realistic feel to the game, (cause now u just go and buy them don’t ya, as in the universe u might get sum and u might not, it was more fun and adventurous). The last idea was PDS; I thought this was 1 of the best thing about PA.

That’s it for me so post away

I’m looking forward to the results....

If this thread has already been made once before I apologize and wish know what people thought. Also if this thread is in the wrong place then again, srry.

Last edited by nathan123; 7 Aug 2004 at 23:16.
nathan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:24   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Old or New

There is a poll option i think.

I prefer new.

I like Cov Ops and like XP. I also like the fact that they made attacking alot easier. And how they seem to have gotten rid of the cheaters and multies. I especially like the way this round is progressing (although this is not only a result of how the game has become and I would like it even more if 1up got beaten in the end).
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:30   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I perfer new, i espeically like engineering and XP.

In general i'm a change-aholic though, i like having to learn how to use new things etc.

tbh there is really very little of the old pa i miss, what i do miss is in fact some of the things from round 10 like fleet priorities.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:31   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Have a poll! Also everyone who votes please remember to explain your reasons why you prefer the old or the new Planetarion style.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:42   #5
nathan123

where can i start this poll?
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:42   #6
nathan123

o nevermind found it
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:53   #7
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

in the new style you get rewarded more for defending, which was always a down side in the old. Before u saved ur alliance m8's ass but got no growth from it and we were cool with that. Now the XP makes it more worth while to defend even more. Esp if you can't attack

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:54   #8
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

imo I like the new pa. The old pa was great. I find it hard to choose which one I like the most. Everyone who plays now has a chance of winning. The new pa can be logically thought out e.g. a discussion about what is the best way to go about setting engineers in the first 48 ticks. I prefer Pa11 of the new style pa. Although the old pa I miss PDS and the scanning for asteroids which brought luck into the equation. If I had to choose I would go with new pa.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:58   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As I've probbly written on most of the other threads like this, I'm in favour of a combination of the Old and the New. I'd have kept the stats and 3 tick attacking/6 tick defence from the old version. but add into this the Covert-Ops, Engineering settings, pre-launching and critically, fleet priorities (which added an aspect to the game that mystifies it slightly). Of course, I'd also make the stats public.

Anyway, I voted Old. I've left the game simply because I can't stand the current stats, nor 1 tick attacking.
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 15:59   #10
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

roids are two common in one week i have more roids then when i played last and thaqt was for about six months
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:05   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorsdown
in the new style you get rewarded more for defending, which was always a down side in the old. Before u saved ur alliance m8's ass but got no growth from it and we were cool with that. Now the XP makes it more worth while to defend even more. Esp if you can't attack

hate to say it but u don;t get XP for defence anymore, just more generous salvage

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:23   #12
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take elements from both given the opportunity.

From the old:

Multi targetting - This was one of the most strategically deep elements, figuring out what ships were the most effective in different situations, single targetting has rendered this a non-issue.

PDS - Whilst some people despised it, a good PDS system gave you a valid "last line of defence" that could be relied on in an emergency.

Oldskool initiative - Flat initiatives per race makes it too simplistic, Terrans HAVE an init curve, why not make that the same across the board, curve the inits so slower ships fire later?

Research choices - Anyone remember where you had to pick one out of 2 options at the top of the tech tree? Bring that back, but at earlier stages, so people are forced to make hard choices about what they take.

From the new:

Covert ops : Gives scanplanets a means of generating income, though needs strengthening a tad since it appears to have got too heavily nerfed.

Roid purchases : No random factor affecting how many roids you are likely to get. You pick and you pay.

Fixed damage : Means you can roughly calculate in your head (provided your math is up to it) what number of a given ship you will need to defend vs. an incoming. Wpsp / Agility was a pain in the ass in that respect.

Single tick attacks : I actually like this now, with the staggered ETA's it's actually making the game a bit more structured and forces tradeoffs in terms of fleet composition.

What should be shot :

Offensive prelaunching : Being serious, I've seen it used in so many ways that it's bordering abuse. From an alliance standpoint it simply encourages lazy attacking. From a personal standpoint it encourages you to set up 3 fleets on weak targets and prelaunch in waves (the person doing this KNOWS who he is), the odds are that unless the defending alliance (or your mates) happen to be well organised mainly awake and quick thinking, at least one or two waves will make it through. Prelaunch is used abusively to defence leech too.

Fleet analysis : Bring back the milscan!!!!

XP : The idea is good, the implementation needs serious refinement, defending not picking up XP is criminal. The other option is to return back to the old "value" style scoring system (which given the bash limit, might now actually work to keep the game competitive).

Nova
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 17:25   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I really dont think this is really something you can truthfully answer. Theres no doubt that the rounds 1 to 4 were probally the most fun overall but at the same time the later rounds of old PA were for most people (except maybe those in the blocks who maybe still got something out of the game) the worst rounds the games seen which makes it impossible to really say the Old game was better. However the new game while very much of an improvement over the later old game rounds has yet to reach a level where its close to the early rounds so you cant really say thats better either

I guess its like I've said before, the games success is reliant on so manyt external factors rather than the game itself. If the external factors shift as they did during r4 and the game stands still then the game and the external factors are no longer a good fit and he overall enjoyment falls. By PAX the differneces between the exteranl factors and the game were so large that improving was no easy fix and its still very much in a state where its trying to find where the exteranl factors are at and produce a game that compliments them
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 18:01   #14
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Old or New

The pre-p2p PA was the most fun. Granted there were many rough edges--the code was buggy, the connections were flaky, and the support was minimal; but there were bazillions of players/galaxies/targets so nobody cared (too much).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 22:13   #15
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

The new PA is probably a better game. One of the most important reason we all have nostalgia is the playerbase, but that got nothing to do with the game itself. There are other reasons ofc, like lack of T2 and only 1 tick attack/def, but I find the new PA quite entertaining. Voted new.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 22:32   #16
Angel

I voted Old PA as i found the PDS great. Also i find the 1 tick attacking system bad, and also i dont like where you have to mostly depend on your alliance, whereas in the Old PA there were more people in your galaxy so u knew that you cud count on them. Overall i found that Old PA was better
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 22:41   #17
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

old

no discussion possible.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 22:51   #18
jvg
legion pe0n

jvg is an unknown quantity at this point

Old indeed
covert ops are an anoyying weapon and the top alliances can have a army or unpaid coverts lam0ring the other alliances.
prelaunch too easy <- defence is too hard and bring back 3 ticks attack and 6 ticks defence
alliance eta and too hard to change alliance sucks aswell

<Azuth> I've done alot of Crazy things for PA
<Azuth> Telling a nekkid girl I can't stay over anyway as I have to go home and save my gal is right up there with spraining my foot with my bare hands to up my activity
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 01:03   #19
Panther

Panther is an unknown quantity at this point

Defintly old school!
round 2-3 was the best
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 06:02   #20
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

r4 was grt because of the mass ppl, the game is better today(in my opinion). I voted new.

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 06:56   #21
Leinad
DrFlame

Leinad is on a distinguished road

count everyone who plays pia as old.
Leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 07:30   #22
Dingo
God

Dingo has a spectacular aura aboutDingo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
The pre-p2p PA was the most fun. Granted there were many rough edges--the code was buggy, the connections were flaky, and the support was minimal; but there were bazillions of players/galaxies/targets so nobody cared (too much).
A direct hit! This is the key. Players. SInce the decline of planets, the game got worse each time the universe reduced in size.

Back then blocks were irrelevant to the masses as they were a small percentage of the total.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:01   #23
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

old

Yu ca't compare ew planetarion t i it just isn't as playable and I dn't believe its just becuase of the playerbase, but round 3 was kewl
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 11:11   #24
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
old

Yu ca't compare ew planetarion t i it just isn't as playable and I dn't believe its just becuase of the playerbase, but round 3 was kewl
Are you seriously going to try and tell me rounds 7-9 were playable, if so WTF are you smoking.Plkayability of new PA is about a hundred times better than those round. Yes its a long way off pre p2p PA but you simply cant make such a generalised statement that old PA was more playable
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 11:26   #25
nathan123

wakey. its a poll and people tell wat they think stop quoting on every thread or post. Just leave people to their opinions and theyll leave to u
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 11:32   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

its fine to discuss though, i don;t think rounds 7-9 were partiuclarly playable myself - they wsre dominated block wars - you generally found out witrhin 2 weeks of a round if u were going to do well or not - and i seriously doubt we he many new players coming in.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 11:49   #27
wakey
Hamster

I'm allowed to disagree with peoples opinions, especially when they are ultimatly as flawed as pretty much any opinion expressed either way on a thread like this is. The question is just too broad to be any good. Those whom played the early rounds are voting for old because thats what their heart is telling them, they are voting on the nostalgia of early rounds ignoring that stagnated later rounds from the equaltion.

You simply cant answer this question truthfully when your counting the rounds after p2p as being the same as the rounds before. They may have looked and even played basically the same but they were extreamly differnt game. It just makes the thread a waste of space.
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 12:47   #28
nathan123

ok my bad, yeh i was abit hasty but can you please just let people say what they want without a person butting in most of the time.

My appoligies

New Dawn
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 12:53   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
A direct hit! This is the key. Players. SInce the decline of planets, the game got worse each time the universe reduced in size.

Back then blocks were irrelevant to the masses as they were a small percentage of the total.
omg Dingo speaks!

i'm going to talk some complete rubbish now which may or may not be true.

Granted there were lots more players, but also there were lots more inactives/iactive multies. With a random planet universe this makes attacking much more easy hence everyone active can have fun and get roids - it also makes defending easier for thoose who are active as the probability of having large amounts of your alliance under attack would be much lower.

I agree with everything you are saying Dingo, we need players, but we also want to provide a good service.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:06   #30
nathan123

should we stop the poll when it reachs 100 votes? or 75 or 50?
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:17   #31
Gerbie
pe0n

Why stop it? Just let it continue and see what happens. Maybe we could do another poll next rnd: it might be a lot better than this one. (And it might not ofc)
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:31   #32
nathan123

ok
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:37   #33
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I'm allowed to disagree with peoples opinions, especially when they are ultimatly as flawed as pretty much any opinion expressed either way on a thread like this is. The question is just too broad to be any good. Those whom played the early rounds are voting for old because thats what their heart is telling them, they are voting on the nostalgia of early rounds ignoring that stagnated later rounds from the equation.
Right then. Looks like I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion.

I voted old, but I'm certainly not voting on the nostalgia of early rounds. I joined a few weeks before the end of round 3, and took a while learning how to play the game. I never roided anyone, I didn't know much about alliances, and I picked Tarantulas over Battleships.

In round 4 I didn't build Phoenixes, since I expected that they were the same as the Torpedoes of the previous round. I knew little of strategy, and I built every ship in nice round numbers. A newbie? You betcha.

Getting to grips with the idea of fleet composition in rounds 5 and 6, as well as getting involved with alliances, meant that I actually enjoyed these rounds. The alliance blocks in these rounds spent most of the time hitting each other, and the player base hadn't so declined that smaller/medium players were always being bashed - of course, you would be attacked if you were roid-fat, but that's the way of the game. I still recall having 230+ initiated roids soon after I started in round 3, losing all 300 of my laser/EMP turrets to someone who must have laughed his head off when he saw I had no fleet. Bye bye roidies

Rounds 7-9.5 (I didn't play round 8) were when I really enjoyed the game. I knew how to play the game , understood the point of a decent fleet and was in some pretty fun galaxies. You had to make choices, and get them right (i.e. which race to go), but even if you made a mistake (e.g. going zik when the races were first brought in), there were more casual players who played together. The game may have stagnated for those in the blocks, but for medium players who were strong in their cluster, it was plenty of fun. Certainly I found these rounds playable, even when I was in the losing block in round 9. Planetarion had been refined so that the races were well-balanced and despite the strength of certain combinations of ships (Pegasus/Demator), there wasn't anything that really needed nerfing.

Quote:
Are you seriously going to try and tell me rounds 7-9 were playable, if so WTF are you smoking.Plkayability of new PA is about a hundred times better than those round. Yes its a long way off pre p2p PA but you simply cant make such a generalised statement that old PA was more playable
Yes, rounds 7-9 were playable. I played them and enjoyed them.

I haven't played round 11, but round 10 told me enough. The loss of initiative from the stats, combined with a change in the length of attacks totally removed strategy from the game. Every race has a particular combination that almost everyone uses, and there's little in the way of any different, creative strategies that work suprisingly well.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 14:19   #34
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
I haven't played round 11, but round 10 told me enough. The loss of initiative from the stats, combined with a change in the length of attacks totally removed strategy from the game. Every race has a particular combination that almost everyone uses, and there's little in the way of any different, creative strategies that work suprisingly well.
Maybe you should try this round. Initiative is back. In previous rounds there also was 1 combination that most people used. This round many players use two different sets of combinations as they have two sets of pods. You can come up with very creative fleets if you team up with someone from another race.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 14:58   #35
hinchles

hinchles is an unknown quantity at this point

r3 was one of the best rounds for me certainly one of the most fun

i remember sending a pure pod fleet to a legion planet and bringing back a few k roids a tick promptly to be farmed by my galaxy because i just nuked my entire fleet and dropped down to about 20 mill
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:11   #36
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
I'm allowed to disagree with peoples opinions, especially when they are ultimatly as flawed as pretty much any opinion expressed either way on a thread like this is. The question is just too broad to be any good. Those whom played the early rounds are voting for old because thats what their heart is telling them, they are voting on the nostalgia of early rounds ignoring that stagnated later rounds from the equaltion.

You simply cant answer this question truthfully when your counting the rounds after p2p as being the same as the rounds before. They may have looked and even played basically the same but they were extreamly differnt game. It just makes the thread a waste of space.
I was in a block and I found it playable. In fact the only rouns I haven't played in a blokc were 2, 3, 10.5 and 11.

So your view is flawed because u were in a crappy alliance fighting without a cause or any real objectives.

My view is based on the fact I find PAX and PAXI boring. Take it or leave it but it is my view.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:15   #37
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinchles
r3 was one of the best rounds for me certainly one of the most fun

i remember sending a pure pod fleet to a legion planet and bringing back a few k roids a tick promptly to be farmed by my galaxy because i just nuked my entire fleet and dropped down to about 20 mill

Thats why I loved round 3 too - BD taking on FUry and Legion and winning

I was raped too - but it was worth it and I grew after.

^^^^ That wakey is why I found the early rounds of PA good - not because I was in a block or because I was on the winning side, but simply the game and playerbase were superior.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 16:27   #38
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Thats why I loved round 3 too - BD taking on FUry and Legion and winning

I was raped too - but it was worth it and I grew after.

^^^^ That wakey is why I found the early rounds of PA good - not because I was in a block or because I was on the winning side, but simply the game and playerbase were superior.
I already said myself that the early old style PA rounds were the best, so I dont get your point here

Quote:
I was in a block and I found it playable. In fact the only rouns I haven't played in a blokc were 2, 3, 10.5 and 11.

So your view is flawed because u were in a crappy alliance fighting without a cause or any real objectives.

My view is based on the fact I find PAX and PAXI boring. Take it or leave it but it is my view.
I've also said in my first post that yeah some of those in blocks might have still found the game playable, but the major blocked alliances have always been in the minority of the players so even if they all shared that view it wouldnt be the general views and as we saw on these very forums alot of the big players in these blocks did start to complain, the block alliances started to disband ect so this certainly suggests that while they had players to bash for easy roids they found it fun but once they had managed to ruin the majority of players rounds and it was just left with the two blocks the fun started to drain out of it for them. They would stand off each other, have few viable targets until the went to war where one would smash the other removing any viable targets for the winner and leaving the loser dejected.

But anyway this is really straying off my whole point anyway. My point is simply that the whole question is flawed, its not a fair question because its throwing one fantastic game (pre p2p PA) in with the low quality post p2p PA when they are pretty much two seperate entities. It makes any results here flawed because people are going to generally vote on the streangth of the rounds 1-4 .Its simply slants the results by including these early rounds in the old pa option which just isnt fair as its NOT the same game as r5-r9
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 17:27   #39
jvg
legion pe0n

jvg is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree some sort with Wakey its a hard question just to ask. I still think oldie was best, maybe its becoz there wasn't many choices back then and we had to live with what we had. But some of the latest changes has been utter wank which i stated above. i wont play next round thats for sure i might pop in again thou

<Azuth> I've done alot of Crazy things for PA
<Azuth> Telling a nekkid girl I can't stay over anyway as I have to go home and save my gal is right up there with spraining my foot with my bare hands to up my activity
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 18:19   #40
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Maybe you should try this round. Initiative is back. In previous rounds there also was 1 combination that most people used. This round many players use two different sets of combinations as they have two sets of pods. You can come up with very creative fleets if you team up with someone from another race.
Well, I just went and found the manual to take a look at the stats, and !!!! you're right.

I have to admit that I didn't play a lot of attention to the beginning of round 11, so these changes in stats are totally new to me. Round 10 had been so unplayable for me that I just didn't care anymore (had exams during this round as well).

Personally I still prefer the old PA type of stats, including Weapon Speed and Agility (!), but I just couldn't get to grips with Dave's game and the different ship names (fickle, I know). Round 11 stats in PA see a load of the old ship names back, but they target different things for me, Black Widows will always be Frigates, targeting Corvettes then Frigates.

I'll probably sign up for Round 12.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 00:08   #41
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I voted old PA, although I like elements of both.

Elements I like:

Old PA: 25 man gals, In gal attacking, Proper Gal Status, Missions and Fleets being on same page. Minister/GC res bonus, Journal.

New PA: Enginering, XP, No Roid Scanning, Covert Ops.

So basically a mix of both would be nice
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 05:06   #42
Dingo
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
omg Dingo speaks!

i'm going to talk some complete rubbish now which may or may not be true.

Granted there were lots more players, but also there were lots more inactives/iactive multies. With a random planet universe this makes attacking much more easy hence everyone active can have fun and get roids - it also makes defending easier for thoose who are active as the probability of having large amounts of your alliance under attack would be much lower.

I agree with everything you are saying Dingo, we need players, but we also want to provide a good service.
The early rounds were full of server problems, inactives, multies etc etc, BUT, the game was still far more enjoyable. I would happily put up with server down time again for 200k planets. I am guessing a lot of others would too.

There was 1 race, ships attacked everything rtaher than class specific and it was simple as far as the game itself. The sheer number of planets made sure that, no matter who was blocked, there were still plenty of targets to find. You had many sub wars going on between alliances and just a lot more fun than now.

My advice would be to get back to basics. Attract players and keep it simple. AND BRING BACK THE ROUND 3 GHOST FFS!!!!

Last edited by Dingo; 5 Aug 2004 at 05:11.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 05:16   #43
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer the old, not only for the member base, but for simplicity's sake. I know several people that would play if it was "simpler". To put it in a nutshell the game has too many bells and whistles on it.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 06:33   #44
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

new PA by far is more simplistic and you don't need any real skill to do well. Every race is to simplistic, and its a no brainer what your fleet will be, and this huge eta's to fight 1 tick is ridiculous. There was always a ight at every level in old PA, in this new PA there is only real fighting at the top. in old PA i could change up my fleet, in New PA changing up your fleet to your 1 other real option is like suicide, and takes to much time. Plus new PA minimizes alliances. Restrictions on alliance member base, and aspects like covert opping, really put the game in a phoney type sense, giving in to whiny players, who want to only play sometimes, and mess up someone who plays alot. I notice that a lot of people here that like new pa better, were out of the loop in earlier rounds. You had to be to not like old pa better. New caters to people who can't play very well, and it makes people who can play very well, look unbeatable. Probably majorly, the same people in top 200 last round, (except for the pwned ELY last round, and the Pwned FAnG this round) are in the top 200 this round. It really is sad. And the fact that they refuse to give us a free round makes me dislike New PA also. That really shouldn't effect my opinion but it does. PA is long over due for a free round. DO a 1 month round that is free at least, and see how many peple we get. then do a 1month paid. there will be a huge difference, but the game will have more players that paid round than now, because more people will be exposed to the game. Anyway, I kind of slid off topic. Sorry. i am just pissed at new PA all around.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 07:45   #45
Kal
Inactive peon

I note that Archi and Dingo in essence say the opposite of Chika.

Archi/Dingo want the "real" old pa with huge unis and simple gameplay
Chika wants the immeditalty pre pax pa i..e round 9 style with races and complex stats

maybe we should split this poll even further into "ancient" "old" "new"

and Archi/Dingo, the game is simpler now than it was in round 9 etc

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 5 Aug 2004, 07:56   #46
Dingo
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I note that Archi and Dingo in essence say the opposite of Chika.

Archi/Dingo want the "real" old pa with huge unis and simple gameplay
Chika wants the immeditalty pre pax pa i..e round 9 style with races and complex stats

maybe we should split this poll even further into "ancient" "old" "new"

Might be simpler than round 9, but anything after round 6 kinda gotta suckier as it went on tbh.

Round 3 had 1 race, now we have 4 and obviously more than 4 times as many ships. 400%+ increase now.

Round 3, all ships attacked all ships and only initiative decided the order. As imple matter of guns to armor. Can't get much simpler than that.

Round 3 had no covert ops etc.

And Ghosts. It just isn't PA without Ghosts.
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 23:03   #47
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all

i would say old i guess.. where old would mean without races, with Real scans, each ship shooting everything (maybe 'weaker' against other targets than against their primaries...) and such stuff...
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:40   #48
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
uhu.. no it isn't
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:41   #49
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
And Ghosts. It just isn't PA without Ghosts.
I know.. He was a lovely guy wasn't he
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 11:42   #50
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
uhu.. no it isn't

then how can u do well theese days nadar

combat is simpler, roid intiating is simpler, wave amps and disruptors are simpler

i.e. the core game is simpler

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???