User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Dec 2004, 19:04   #1
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts
More differences in races!

As i see from PA skins, it appears that Terrans are not some race of tech, they are a brutal race, while Zik appears to be a tech race not brutal, so i suggest more differences than just ships between races, as it is not exciting to see taht a brutal race have the same techs and structures as an intelligent one, a unique structure for every race, along with a unique path of research, this will add another excitemenet element for the game, so what do you think??
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2004, 19:40   #2
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough
Re: More differences in races!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-dANGEr
As i see from PA skins, it appears that Terrans are not some race of tech, they are a brutal race, while Zik appears to be a tech race not brutal, so i suggest more differences than just ships between races, as it is not exciting to see taht a brutal race have the same techs and structures as an intelligent one, a unique structure for every race, along with a unique path of research, this will add another excitemenet element for the game, so what do you think??

They are already different as it is. Some races have other benefits that others don't, in production and research etc.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2004, 19:49   #3
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: [Declined] More differences in races!

i personally am in favour of more differences between races as it makes it harder to have a "best" race, though what thoose differences should be i do not know.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2004, 20:37   #4
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

even more balance troubles is obviously the way to go!
when PATeam manages to atleast make somewhat balanced stats/features, then they can consider adding more.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 02:29   #5
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i personally am in favour of more differences between races as it makes it harder to have a "best" race, though what thoose differences should be i do not know.
Initially the idea was that Terran were to have the primary 'war' ships. The best efficiency all-round, with the best armor. They also had a few shining light type ships. Ships with good armor, and good (potentially great) damage.

Xandathrii were supposed to be low (good) initiative, low (bad) armor and high damage. The K'thal Fireblade was my favorite example of this type of ship. It had paper thin armor, but only EMP or other Xan ships fired before it, so it didn't really matter. It might die, but it would almost guaranteed fire first. The damage on Xandathrii averaged to about equal to the damage on the most powerful Terran ships.

Cathaar had well-armored, but altogether terrible killships, but EMP to make up for it.

Zikonian were just crap. Their killships were mediocre, but better than Cathaar's to make up for their reliance on stealing, which was their gimmick.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 03:16   #6
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
maybe unique structures with unique capabilities for each race - just like achieved by unique ships and armor and kill - have Xan's build a structure that will deceive targets with sending false signals, IE sending 13 hostile fleets signals - 12 of which are false or something to that "deceiving" effect since they got the cloaking capabilities - have Zik's have the capability to build subverter-stations where they will send subvert signals to a target, then when signals are successful, ships on base or on station will start shooting each other - Cath's will have long-range EMP stations that will shoot out EMP commands to a target, and all (or most) of the defending fleets will be frozen for 5 ticks or something so the target will lose all capabilities of defense, or maybe EMP an attacking fleet before it lands - all races should have "intercept a hostile fleet" capabilities - intercept meaning, sending out an attack fleet to an incoming and try to fight a fleet out in the open space to avoid losing roids or structures - and this is where the terran race is best at, where when attempts to intercept a hostile fleet, either attacking you or an ally, terran will be the most accurate interceptor that will not miss a hostile fleet (u can try to intercept and miss - this is where the 'cloaking' abilities of a xan fleet will be most useful) in an open universe and the quickest to intercept. - also special cov-op's that are unique in each race will be absolutely interesting..

ofc these ideas are extreme and kinda outrageous, but u get the idea

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh

Last edited by demiGOD; 14 Dec 2004 at 03:25.
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 03:27   #7
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about
Re: [Discuss] More differences in races!

Would it be an idea to within the races make it so at certain points you need to make important permanent dicisions (like in which area you want to concentrate on, and if you choose one of them in exludes certain things you can do that others might have, while you have your own strength, thus making more 'customisable' planets to your style of gameplay.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 18:26   #8
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

Well, i didn't really give a thought for waht the Unique things should be, but you guys should try to come up with sth., it will make the game a whole a lot of more than sweet(not sure if taht sentence is correct), so guys, what do you think???
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 06:03   #9
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
They are already different as it is. Some races have other benefits that others don't, in production and research etc.
I think what he meant was they could research completely different things and construct completely different things.

Maybe for the constructions you could have buildings that took onboard the abilities of each race and may also address the pds discussion.

Please remember these are only susgestions and how about you try and come up with something better before grilling me. Also from the Xan i only mean that they have one of these buildings to build or maybe give the option of both but when you start building one of them you cant build the other

Xan Special Building Ideas
A building that cloaks a certain amount of the roids you have
A building that cloaks a certain amount of the ships you have when someone unit scans you
Both these could be done on percentage

Zik Special Building Ideas
A building that submerges a fraction of the fleet/s that is atttacking

Cat Special Building Ideas
A building that uses EMP to disable a fraction of the fleet/s that is attacking

Terran Special Building Ideas
I unfortunately have no ideas that i myself agree with but just to complete the set
A building that takes out a fraction of the enemies fleet/s using weapons surrounding the planet

Say if every race could build maybe only one of these special building as not to bring in to many disadvantages of PDS from previous rounds. I dont susgest the numbers they take out are extremely high but it could add in a llitle bit extra for people to think about when attacking. Also it would give surface scans even more purpose.Also maybe it shouldnt be just the one building maybe it should be done like research labs or security centres. The effectiveness of these buildings could go up the more you build. Im not saying that they should have knock out big amounts of ships maybe only like 1% - 3% of a fleet or maybe even less maybe only 0.5% of an entire fleet.

PS: This would also add a little bit more to think about when attacking

Last edited by macros69; 17 Dec 2004 at 06:15. Reason: Xan special building second line - added : when someone unit scans you
macros69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 15:19   #10
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

Well, i figured out some ideas, but sorry i forgot them, consider them in this thread tommorow .
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 05:38   #11
macros69
Um....... Macros

look forward to hearing them
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:01   #12
achilles19

achilles19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always liked the diea of some type of static defenses on a planet the trick though is not to make them to easy to get a hold of or otherwise make a planet almost completely impenetrable. It would also make the whole struct. attack ships more valuable whereas I have yet to see a real purpose for them other then gain more score and pissing the other guy off.

And I would simply suggest doing these on the construction page (once of course the required amount of research is completed). Then have them cost twice as much as any other normal construction to make them harder to get a hold of.

Flame me I could care less.
achilles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:13   #13
macros69
Um....... Macros

i really like my idea (well of course i would its mine) but it makes the races more unique, it gives some sort of defence other than ships, it adds some more depth to the game, makes surface scans more useful, makes structure destroyers more useful and would make people think and plan there attacks more. I personnally can't see anything wrong with my idea apart from the minor details (and some major in the fact that it would require a lot of work to get right maybe im not sure)
I AM NOT SAYING THERE ISNT ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. Thats up to you guys to tell me or if you dont think there isnt anything wrong with it say so to.

Also i like the feature of having to research the ability to do this aswell.
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:24   #14
achilles19

This might be pushing it a little too far but I'm trying to think of more ideas. Say a unique ship for xans or ters and a unique covert op (PA really needs to work on that segment) for zik and cat.

Because recently (today actually) there were reports on my alliance's forums about some Xan ship called the "raptor" showing up on unit scans and after battle reports. I've scanned the planets they said that had these ships it but I didn't pick anything up - weird.

Anyhow I was thinking that maybe a xan ship (like a "raptor") could be immune to static defenses because of cloak (stealth?) abilities. Or a zik ship could subvert some of the defenses. As for Ter and Cat... EMP and destryoing them is the same as any other race so maybe make it easier for a Ter to take down those defenses and cat...?

And naturally yes they'd all require research and cost a fortune but make the game all the more interesting (and as a race being unique ships and static def. are about as far as I would push it right now).
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:31   #15
macros69
Um....... Macros

sorry achilles agree with your post just dont know what you mean about

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles19
This might be pushing it a little to far
Sorry but what would be pushing it to far. Im not flaming you or anything its just that you didnt really say
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:45   #16
achilles19

I meant all at once because some changes work better gradually while others its ok to just take the plunge. If there are too many added buildings, ships, and possible covert ops it could cause geneeral confusion or more problems about how this unique capability gives this race too much of an advantage (like our xan cloaking issues). I'm not taking a stance on whether it should be instilled during rnd 14 right after rnd 13 or gradually. Then again I'm still fairly new to PA and am not that informed about how long it takes for certain changes to take place.

I hope that clears up what I meant by pushing it.
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 06:52   #17
macros69
Um....... Macros

yeah it does cheers.
but personnally I think that if you are going to make the races more diverse then do it in one quick move and have all the changes in place at once. But that is just a completely different school of thought eh!
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 15:42   #18
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles19
This might be pushing it a little too far but I'm trying to think of more ideas. Say a unique ship for xans or ters and a unique covert op (PA really needs to work on that segment) for zik and cat.

Because recently (today actually) there were reports on my alliance's forums about some Xan ship called the "raptor" showing up on unit scans and after battle reports. I've scanned the planets they said that had these ships it but I didn't pick anything up - weird.

Anyhow I was thinking that maybe a xan ship (like a "raptor") could be immune to static defenses because of cloak (stealth?) abilities. Or a zik ship could subvert some of the defenses. As for Ter and Cat... EMP and destryoing them is the same as any other race so maybe make it easier for a Ter to take down those defenses and cat...?

And naturally yes they'd all require research and cost a fortune but make the game all the more interesting (and as a race being unique ships and static def. are about as far as I would push it right now).
A very small percentage of universe is really active and foccusing on co-op, this would overbalance xan/teran if they got extra ship and cath/zik not.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 17:56   #19
macros69
Um....... Macros

so post #9 negatice comeback/postive comeback ne one
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 22:13   #20
achilles19

I see your point orion but I still think an added "unique ship" for each race is still feasible. And if one more were added to each race would it make such of an imbalance then as to oppose only some races receiving an extra ship?
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 23:59   #21
macros69
Um....... Macros

a unique ship????? sorry but arent all the ships unique to each race
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 03:57   #22
The_Mad_Keg
Fat *******

The_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to behold

strewth ure all bending a smartie!! (Dingo Jack takes the reins) i think they idea of a personalised construction and maybe research aswell is a pretty good idea, especially the constructions, as a zik player i think it would really encourage me to spend money on galleons, the Galleon is a very effective ship but theres not much joy in using them, having special constructions to take out would be a huge bonus, it opnes up new tactic possibilities, for example send in a small zik fleet as Vanguard, take out the special buildings and allow the rest of the fleet or fleets to come in with those defences neutralised.
<Rocko> so reincarnation is like getting ABSOLUTLEY wankered when u die

[F-Crew] - You known when youve been [FC]ucked
The_Mad_Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 19:06   #23
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

Sorry for taking too much to reply, but you know, VIRUSES !!!!!!!

Terrans:

Research: Research some kind of the weapons and armor of the ships making them more tougher, more armor and fire power.
Construction: Making some kind of a construction which would be called sth. like "Recyclers" so you get more salvage depending on the pecent for taht building.

Xans:

Research: (Didn't figure it out)

Construction: A construction would will be like a wave distorter, let's say a building which makes the scans more inaccurate depending on the percent of taht buildiing
OR
Dleteing Wave distorters from all the races nad keep them for Xans.

Zikonians:

Research: (Don't Know)
Construction: (DON't KNOW)

Cathaars:

Research: Research the ability of building an ion cannon which can only be used against incmoing fleets.

Constrution(s): 1)Ion Cannon: a building which disables enemy attacking fleets with depends of the precentiege of constructions for the powering Construction.
2)Powering Construction.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:35   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

any thoughts on the last thread here from anyone? it looks interesting to me

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:56   #25
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
any thoughts on the last thread here from anyone? it looks interesting to me
Get rid of all wave distrorters apart from for xans is a bad idea because everyone whos xan can easily scan anyone they want which is just pants and everyone needs one amp for cats and ziks and terrans.
Bit unfair

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:58   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

well not neccesarilly his precise suggestions, but something along the lines of a unique reseearch or construction

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 18:25   #27
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Possible Cons/Res for each Race Type, and the result of same

Terrans
Research Item Hyperlauncher

A device that allows a reduction in travel time for defence (sorta like a giant slingshot) each device can only be used once.

Construction X Number of Hyperlaunchers (set to a maximum of 10) obviously can be rebuilt after destruction, make it cost quite a bit regardless of how many of the other cons a planet has maybe 50k of each Res ?

Allows a Terran to send DEFENCE using a Hyperlauncher at eta -1 for all ship types (excluding in-gal def)

Sorta like the old over-burn defence we used to have.

Cathaar:
Research Item: Enhanced Armour
Allows the Player to increase the armour on his attack Fleet only for a given attack.

Construction : Armour Plate Packs X number can be produced, but when applied only apply to a particular fleet, for the duration of the attack. If Recalled the pack is spent. Make cost 50K of each res, and also increase eta by 1 tick for an enhanced fleet.

Cannot be applied to a base fleet or a defence fleet.

I will try to think something up for Zik and xan later
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote