User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 00:28   #1
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
Turing test: Larger text

I find that the turing test pic at login is really hard to read. I keep getting the answers wrong because it's just so hard to see what operator or numbers are used, no matter the squinting I do...

Or would it be a problem with regards to making it easier for bots to make the text larger?
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:10   #2
JohnDoe
Unknown to all

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Turing test: Larger text

I agree 100%
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:25   #3
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I get around 1 t o2 wrong every other day cos numbers like 6 8 0 and 9 all look the same with a line through part of them.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:27   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

tbh my main failigns are on the capital cities of silly scandinavian countries no one cares about

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:31   #5
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

yeah. i know oslo but i dont have a clue how you correctly spell the capitol of sweeden
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:35   #6
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
yeah. i know oslo but i dont have a clue how you correctly spell the capitol of sweeden
Yea. I'd also suggest a bit of fuzzy logic. I mean, seriously what's the difference between cyrstal and crystal? Blatantly the chance that this is a human is higher with the misspelling.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:39   #7
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

unless your dyslexic, in which case anything where you have to spell will be hard and they will get wrong. We should remember that PA should be accessible to all
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:44   #8
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

have a simple multiple choice option... and make them incredibly easy, i.e.

what is the capital of sweden:

a) sausage
b) hairy
c) stockholm

clearly is option C, so you type in C.

OFC, theres a 1 in 3 chance of success/fail so please elaborate on my idea
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 01:48   #9
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

That system has the problem that you said you would type C, whereas I would write stockholm and someone else may write c)
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 02:09   #10
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Quote:
That system has the problem that you said you would type C, whereas I would write stockholm and someone else may write c)
Yea. And this would be impossible to accomodate for in the code.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 02:12   #11
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy

a) sausage
b) hairy
c) stockholm

I'd favour radio buttons and pictures. Like, show a picture of a cat, and give options: "What is this a picture of?" [ ] Nuclear Submarine [ ] Calculator [ ] Cat.

Obviously this may have backsides in terms for "image database size", bandwidth and so on.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 02:17   #12
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
tbh my main failigns are on the capital cities of silly scandinavian countries no one cares about
yer me too, especially when i live in scandinavia, types it correct and still get an error :|

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

Unread 4 Dec 2004, 02:38   #13
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

wouldn't it be incredibly easy for a bot to move through a multiple choice? I mean, you need quite a few errors, let a bot try c everytime and eventually it will be correct.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 02:49   #14
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie
wouldn't it be incredibly easy for a bot to move through a multiple choice? I mean, you need quite a few errors, let a bot try c everytime and eventually it will be correct.
You could have 10 options. And if it weren't for these really "weird" questions (either through inability to *see* the question, or questions about knowledge like what is the capital of Burkina Faso), I don't think there'd be that many errors.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 02:16   #15
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Burkino Faso RoxS!!!! and i would get a Q on the capitol right any multi choice would have to be intersperced with some of the text Qs we have now so you dont get a 1 in 3 or 1 in 10 chance of been right.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 11:15   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

more options = bigger image = people complaining

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 20:05   #17
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: [Discuss] Turing test: Larger text

Well.. I get a lot wrong, due to not being able to read numbers, and not knowing capital cities...
BUT, I've never had my account closed due to too many wrong answers so I don't care really
But if you're going to change it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy

a) sausage
b) hairy
c) stockholm

Use that way but state "You must type the entire answer, NOT the letter" or something.
The picture would still only be 10kb (if that) and dial-up would be fine...
but, like I saw someone else say, you can rule a game by it's connections or we never would have HL, HL2, CS, etc

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 21:10   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
more options = bigger image = people complaining
i'd imagine that 'real' images would draw less criticism from those on mobile phones than the illegibilities you send them at the moment. and if people can deal with it on one of those little screens, i'd imagine people on a computer can learn to cope

-mist
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 16:04   #19
Hellcat

Hellcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vencedor
The picture would still only be 10kb (if that) and dial-up would be fine...
but, like I saw someone else say, you can rule a game by it's connections or we never would have HL, HL2, CS, etc
Dude that was me!

I agree that some of the number questions get me - especially ones where lines go through 6,8,9,0 and they all look the same.

Some images of simple things. e.g. cat, dog, tree, fish, would work well - but how to get around the problem of a bot just gessing c) all the time and getting in on the 3rd attempt?

They way i suggest is to have a few images, each with multiple choices.

with 1 image and 4 options the chance of just guessing the answer is 1 in 4.
with 2 images with 4 options the chance is 1 in 4, and 1 in 4 again. 1:4 x 1:4 = 1:16
with 3 images with 4 options the chance is 1 in 64
and with 4 images with 4 options the chance is 1 in 256 attempts. Not really worth a bot trying cause there is a massive chance of getting the account locked and you then can't blame not knowing the capital city of finland...

With 4 images with 4 options it doesn't take long to login. click, click, click, click and you're in. Thats probably faster than working out 7 * 9 or working out how to spell Copenhagen
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 17:37   #20
Random
living under a rock

Random is an unknown quantity at this point

Hellcat, I think you're overcomplicating the issue.. the biggest problem for most people is the mathematical questions are too difficult to read. I don't know about everyone else but I rarely ever get the ones wrong when it asks you to type a word such as "terran". Why is it necessary for the bot check to test our knowledge when all it needs to do is make sure we able to read and correctly re-type a word into a box?
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 17:44   #21
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
If you are having all questions multiple choice, make the input box 1 character long.
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 21:28   #22
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat
*snip*
I really really like the example you made.

Still, it is a secondary discussion. Primary: Get a turing test that is actually readable, pls.
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 22:01   #23
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat
They way i suggest is to have a few images, each with multiple choices.
I like that idea a lot

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 15 Dec 2004, 05:22   #24
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random
Hellcat, I think you're overcomplicating the issue.. the biggest problem for most people is the mathematical questions are too difficult to read. I don't know about everyone else but I rarely ever get the ones wrong when it asks you to type a word such as "terran". Why is it necessary for the bot check to test our knowledge when all it needs to do is make sure we able to read and correctly re-type a word into a box?

I agree i never took geography and even if i do know the capital of australia ...... dont ask me how to spell it. What is the problem with asking the same quesions minus the capital city or general knowledge ones and just making them bigger??
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:13   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

I don;t think the login picture is a major problem and its not something we want to put a lot of work into atm - Declined

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread