User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:44   #1
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help me with my pc

Basically I'd like to know of potential problems, I've done as much research as I can possibly, I've scrimped and saved money and pestered the **** out of #linux who all wish me death now im sure, also #scripting had the honor of my poking and nudging. Its been bought from Scan btw, and all the forms are filled in, im just waiting for a phonecall for the interest free credit application So any issues problems blah with the components you know about please say, or forever hold your peace!

ASUS A7V8X Delux mobo
AMD 2500XP Barton CPU
512MB PC2700 RAM
Herculese Radeon 9800 Pro
Coolermaster fan thing with the heat pipes
****e case with a 350W PSU
120gb maxtor hdd
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 23:52   #2
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good. You might want to opt for 2 memory modules to take full advantage of nforce2 chipset.
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 12:39   #3
Popeye

Quote:
Originally posted by Atamur
Looks good. You might want to opt for 2 memory modules to take full advantage of nforce2 chipset.
its the via chipset mobo as its more linux friendly
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 15:48   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I thought Nvidia had good Linux driver support?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 16:02   #5
Popeye

Their graphics drivers are ****ing ace, but the motherboard drivers for things like network cards and sound etc are closed binarys.

The NVidia chipset performs better, but my current PC is a 466 Celeron (which I keep forgetting is just a **** Pentium2!) so with the huge leap in performance I'm going to be getting anyway, the small difference an NForce2 chipset would have made is negligable.

ATI don't provide drivers for XFree 4.3.0 though, which could be an issue.
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 23:08   #6
Popeye

Rite i applied for credit as I posted my first post, at 18:44 yesterday or something. ever since then my browser has been refreshing every 5s checking the database to see if ive been approved credit.

litereally 30s ago i got this :

Quote:
Finance Decision

Your credit application has been accepted.

The documents will be sent to you for you to sign and return, when we receive the signed documents, we can authourise payment for the deposit and release your goods for delivery without delay. Thanks for shopping at Scan.
they say its only going to take a minute, but as I am a persistant ****, and left my pc on in an optimistic manner IT HAS FINALLY WORKED nearly 29 HOURS LATER

well there we go

has anyone else bought from scan before with the interest free credit?
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 23:13   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My flatmate bought from Scan with Interest Free Credit. There were a few minor problems (the order didn't seem to go through), but otherwise it was OK. He eventually had to have the stuff delivered to his work for some reason.

As to your hardware - I would personally get more RAM.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 23:18   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
My flatmate bought from Scan with Interest Free Credit. There were a few minor problems (the order didn't seem to go through), but otherwise it was OK. He eventually had to have the stuff delivered to his work for some reason.

As to your hardware - I would personally get more RAM.
If it's on one stick, 512 is plenty, especially if there's a budget involved.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:38   #9
ItotheDtotheI

its one stick of super sexy crucial ram (the £50 stuff rather than the £60 stuff, i.e. the non-parity rather than the ecc)

the mobo will take up to 2gb of pc2700 in 2 dimm sockets, so i figured ill just buy another 512mb in a month or so when i have more money as i cant seem to find 1gb sticks about.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:45   #10
ItotheDtotheI

[in response to a question about the change of forum account from "Popeye" to "ItotheDtotheI"]

nah i just rebooted back into linux and didnt realise this was still logged in.

i only regged popeye as a gimmick to sunday's olive anyways as i was instructed to get an account with a 'proper' name

Last edited by queball; 23 Jun 2003 at 02:49.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 15:30   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ECC RAM is a waste of time for desktops for 3 reasons:
a) Most desktop boards don't support it
b) It's slower
c) If the one in how-ever many million chance comes about and a nasty energy particle does hit the stick and cause a bit to flip, and even then assuming that section of ram is in use and the error is serious enough to cause a crash and not just change a letter P to a letter Q in whatever word document you're editing - so what? It's not like you've lost anything much.

Basicly, its for servers.

Unread 24 Jun 2003, 09:18   #12
ItotheDtotheI

Incidently, after ringing scan up twice yesterday, and being given my finance number, I was able to ring up the finance company, and make them send me an email that they should have sent me hours earlier HOURS EARLIER!

It contained a pdf which you have to print out and sign, then post back. When they receive it, theyll send me my toys.

Thats how the finance works btw, just thought id mention it for completions sake.