User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Mar 2003, 05:02   #1
WhiteZero

Roid Scan Stats Needed

I'd like anyone who would like to, to do me a little favor. I'm working on a highly accurate Roid Scan Calculator.

Next time you do a roid scan, record the following:

1.) How many Roids you had before the scans.
2.) How many Amps you had before the scans.
3.) How many scans were performed.
4.) How many Roids were recieved from the scans
5.) How many Amps you have after the scans.

I'd GREATLY appreciate this input. Please eMail me your records at [email protected]
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 05:24   #2
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
with the random factor it makes it almost impossible to calc properly
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 05:37   #3
WhiteZero

I'd still like to try.

So, please, any help is appreciated.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 06:08   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Isn't this built into PBOT?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 10:01   #5
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
There is an algorithm, you know.

But since you ask, I have that historic data available from the early phases of this round.
Where the number found differs from the prediction, the prediction is listed in brackets.
Code:
Roids Amps Scans Found
    3   11     4     3
    6   16     3     1 (2)
    7   22     7     5
   12   23     5     3
   15   30     7     5 (4)
   20   36     8     4
   24   55    17    10 (9)
   34   61    10     3 (5)
   37   76    10     4 (6)
   41   93     8     4 (5)
   45  123    16    11
   56  133     9     5 (6)
   61  148     4     2 (3)
                     1 (quest)
   64  165     6     5
   69  160     8     5
   74  180    10     7
   81  193    20    15 (13)
   96  220    20    10 (13)
  106  210    10    6
  112  239    25    13 (15)
  125  260    26    13 (15)
  138  300    36    19 (21)
The number of amps goes down 1 for each roid found, no deviations.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 11:09   #6
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 12:13   #7
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Isn't this built into PBOT?
PBOT can be used to calc how many roids you will not get...
Toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 17:29   #8
WhiteZero

Well... I'll have you know that 2 times out of 5 my calculator was right-on. I just need to tweak it now.

But if none of you want to help me... thats fine.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 17:36   #9
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteZero
Well... I'll have you know that 2 times out of 5 my calculator was right-on. I just need to tweak it now.

But if none of you want to help me... thats fine.
heh...
Since everything is based on probabilites you cannot estimate the exact number. You can come up with an average number, or a median; but it still won't give you all the information. The final answer to the outcome should be a set of probabilities for the different outcomes; not a single answer.

If you're half decent at mathemathics i can give you the code for my scan calc (see signature) though; just give me a board pm. Its based on the scan formula though and there is little chance actually checking wether that one is correct...

Exact scan calculators have been around since r6 or so i think.. both me and atamur made ones for the strategy forum at the same time (he on a excel sheet; me in php) (others may have made them before too though; but none that i know of)
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 17:42   #10
WhiteZero

Well, I'd like to do most of the calculations on my own.

So, really, the only thing I need from people are their Roid Scan Stats.

Thanks for the offer tho.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 18:08   #11
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Well, I'd like to do most of the calculations on my own.

So, really, the only thing I need from people are their Roid Scan Stats.

Thanks for the offer tho.
Well.. what on earth are you going to do with those stats?

There is a formula for determining success.. taking the results of that formula and reverse engeneering them to something that is bound to more complex than the actual formula in the first place sounds somewhat dubious

And given the number of people who are semi-proficient at maths&stuff at these boards; there is a slight chance you'll get some semi-constructive answers if you explain your brilliant backwards thesis on how to get an exact number for the result of something which really is a distribution of results.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 18:23   #12
WhiteZero

heh... I'll keep the details on how my calculator works a secret for now... So right now I just need these stats.

Once I get this thing perfected, I'll give out the source code (it's in Visual Basic).
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 19:26   #13
zenopus
Xenoc

There is no great secret - unless you've managed to code a clairvoyant AI...
The algorithm that gives statistical probabilities for various possible outcomes of a series of scans is well known.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 19:28   #14
WhiteZero

Well, I havent recieved any stats yet (email or otherwise). So I guess everyone is just gonna blow me off on this...

thanx
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 19:36   #15
zenopus
Xenoc

Erm, what do you mean you have not received any stats?
I posted a some in this thread...
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 19:44   #16
WhiteZero

Ah yes, except you. Thanks zenopus!
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 19:55   #17
WhiteZero

Hmmm... well, according to zenopus' Stats... my calculator was within 1 to 2 roids everytime.

I'd still like some more stats tho. Specificaly ones where the planet has 150+ roids already.

Thanks again!

EDIT: 12 of 22 calculations were only 1 Roid off.
And 7 of the 22 were right on. The remaning were 2-3 roids off.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 22:55   #18
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
well, you can do what you intend to do

but you have to do it in assembly, other programming languages are "corrupted"

oh, i forgot, perfect boolean logic will work too
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 00:17   #19
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Roid Scan Stats Needed

Quote:
I'd like anyone who would like to, to do me a little favor. I'm working on a highly accurate Roid Scan Calculator.

Next time you do a roid scan, record the following:

1.) How many Roids you had before the scans.
2.) How many Amps you had before the scans.
3.) How many scans were performed.
4.) How many Roids were recieved from the scans
5.) How many Amps you have after the scans.

I'd GREATLY appreciate this input. Please eMail me your records at [email protected]
You cannot really produce a calc that's more accurate than the existing calcs which calculate the probability distibution exactly. But if you really want to get ahold of large number of scan results, try bugging Tacticus. Some time ago, he conducted a massive scanning experement to test the scanning formula. He might still have the results somewhere.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 00:18   #20
SPQR

SPQR is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't quite get your intention.

The amount of roids you can get depends on the very simple roids scan formula from the manual and a random chance. Thus you will never be able to create a 'highly accurate Roid Scan Calculator' that tells you the outcome of your roidscans in PA. That would kinda be like telling the future...
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 00:19   #21
SPQR

SPQR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Roid Scan Stats Needed

Quote:
Originally posted by Atamur
You cannot really produce a calc that's more accurate than the existing calcs which calculate the probability distibution exactly. But if you really want to get ahold of large number of scan results, try bugging Tacticus. Some time ago, he conducted a massive scanning experement to test the scanning formula. He might still have the results somewhere.
I think he did that when amps weren't getting destroyed yet tho.
SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 01:25   #22
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Re: Re: Re: Roid Scan Stats Needed

Yeah.. that would be correct SPQR..

WhiteZero:
you are aware of the roidscan formula for success?
Code:
0.3 * (amps / roids)
If you really need results; just make a representative selection yourself .. If you're dodgy at mathemathics; use a a scan calculator with probabalities to make a representative selection.. It isn't that hard coming up with a few numbers

ofc.. if you're planning on proving the scan formula wrong.. that actually is a worthwhile effort; I've never had much trust in pa teams ability to do anything correct :P

Last edited by hyfe; 23 Mar 2003 at 01:31.
hyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 05:49   #23
WhiteZero

Well, even if my calc gives the exact same output as many other, web-based calculators, thats fine. My proggie will give people a non-internet based calculator. Just incase the other sites go down, people can have my calculator as a backup... *shrugs*

and I believe that the formula is 30 * (amps/roids)
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 05:55   #24
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and I believe that the formula is 30 * (amps/roids)
30% = 0.3

oh and all this business with egting scans from ppl is pointless UNLESS of course u don't believe that they gave us the correct formula...
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 06:19   #25
WhiteZero

Umm... yes, I'm aware that .3 is 30%... but you dont take 30% * (amps/roids)... it's just 30 * (amps/roids)

ANYWAY! I sure wish people would COOPERATE and take 2 little min on their next roids scan to record that data.
I know... heaven forbid! :eek:
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 15:01   #26
WhiteZero

Ok, I'm gonna give out a copy of my Calc to a few people so that it can get tested a little more.

Send me an eMail at [email protected] if you want to try it.
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:32   #27
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Umm... yes, I'm aware that .3 is 30%... but you dont take 30% * (amps/roids)... it's just 30 * (amps/roids)

So.. for us who are nitpicks:

you want to use: '30 * (amps/roids)' right?

So.. by using 1 scan at 6 amps, 3 roids.. is my probability to find a roid going to be:

30 * ( 6 / 3 ) = 60 = 6000%
(as you say)
or

30% * (6 / 3) = 0.3 * (6/3) = 0.6 = 60%
(as i believe)

you are funny
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 23:10   #28
WhiteZero

Well.... using 30* (amps/roids) seems to work perfectly for me.
*shrugs*
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 00:01   #29
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Well.... using 30* (amps/roids) seems to work perfectly for me.
*shrugs*
that is because you assume the number you're getting is a percentage... and just put a invisible % in the formula instead..

i mean.. you got a number between 0 and 100... what did you think that number represented?
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 00:13   #30
WhiteZero

Yes... I'm well aware its a %. The outcome is a %. But if you use 30 as a % during the calculation, it's gets majorly messed up.
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 04:54   #31
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

% = 1/100

nothing more, nothing less. If putting in 1/100 in your calculations majorly messes things up, you have a problem
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 05:54   #32
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
This may be the most passionate discussion over percentages that I've ever witnessed.
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 06:18   #33
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

i'm one of those people who have to get the last words

its damn annoying meeting others who're like that too