User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Aug 2005, 17:27   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
PC problem (a doozie)

I got back from holiday today. I turned ye olde faithful PC back on to check mail etc etc

Everything was hunkey dorey. Then mid msn conversation the PC hangs.. not even the ctrl-alt-delete save worked. I figured 'fs' and hit the reset button....except when it reset nothing appeared ont he monitor..

again i thought 'fs stupid piece of crap'

Switched it off on the PSU and waited the 10 secdonds then back on. Hit power and nothing....PC starts up. Usually sounds and humms but no monitor. It doesnt seem to load windows either as i cant hear it churning.

At this point i panic somewhat and hit reset again. Then back to the PSU. Off and then back on. It loads. the Bios settings are all setback to their defaults so i hit f1 and enter the bios to change them back.

I notice the CPU is running at 60 degrees C which is somewhat hot...i figure maybe the system hang was because it had overheated and had failed to alert me to the problem.

I hit save settings and it reboots...
Except it doesnt reboot.
The moment i hit save settings it hangs.....nothing works again.

I begin to worry more and turn off and on.

So far 2 hours have passed and it still wont display anything on the screen.

Not being totally computer illiterate I have tried a few steps to try and isolate the problem but in my isolating it ive come to the conclusion that im basically fked.

I swapped the gfx card with my brothers which i know is working (im using his pc right now!)... same problem

I swap memory with is....same problem.

I go out and purchase a new battery for the pc after some guy at pc world said 'eee by gum lad teh pc aint got teh power' or some shit. I didnt believe it would fix it but i figured id give it a shot instead of spending close to 200 quid building a new one.

Then i hought 'maybe its the power' and unplugged the cd/dvd drive. i took out the tv card. removed anything that wasnt needed.
I was wrong.

Still nothing.

I unplugged the hdd to see if that had any effect. nothing.

All it does is turn on with nothing displayed on the screen and i presume judging by the nosies hangs at some point during the bootup sequence.

so currently im thinking that the PSU is screwed which is a possibility but unlikely.
the CPU got too hot and is now a somewhat fked up versino of its former self OR
the motherboard is fried.

Any of these problems poses the problem of yet more cash after a rather expensive holiday for a month.

So ladies and gentlemen. Have any of you any idea as to any of the following questions.

1.) What in the **** caused this

2.) How could i fix it without shedding out cash replacing each part one by one to find out which one went the way of the dodo.

The spec is as follows : (its about 4 years old now and i built it myself. I actually bled making this computer so it does actually contain my blood sweat and tears. (i.e. no laughing)

Asus A7n8X Deluxe (Rev 1004 with latest bios firmaware upgrade as of March 2005)
AMD AthlonXP 2100+
512 Meg DDR PC2700
350W Power Supply (Hiperpower)
Galaxy GeForce 6600GT
HDD1 : WDD 80gig
HDD2 : Maxtor 40gig from the stoneage.
TV Card (nicked from another machine)

Just a little more info. I realise the PSU is somewhat lacking in the power department but the Galaxy gfx card tells me this from time to time. It used to complain about lack of power and would reduce performance. However i fixed this by unplugging all but one CD drive. Removing the case lights etc etc. It has been fine since so i dont think ist a power issue. (why would it show up now after i get from holiday)

oh and it also has a brand new duracel cmos battery in it...

Thanks for any insight...

JJ
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2005, 18:29   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: PC problem (a doozie)

Computer repair shops have as many spares as necessary to diagnose problems, so it might be cheaper spending ~£80 having someone with parts diagnose the problem than spending >£100 on parts you mightn't actually need. Hanging during boot could be anything; when you say 'removed anything that wasn't needed', do you actually mean 'I left the RAM, CPU and GFX card in and nothing else' or some variation?

Since most things round these parts seem to be power issues, I'd go with a PSU that's been overloaded for too long a time and has given up the ghost, but you'd expect to have seen a gradual degredation (blue-screens ever-increasing in frequency, random hangs etc) before a total loss of function. A failed PSU might have damaged your motherboard or processor, but damaged processors normally result in beeps at startup instead of total die-age. A ****ed mobo has the potential to hang on boot with no beeping or additional information, as does a corrupted BIOS (though that seems unlikely).

You could try:
  • Putting the BIOS reset jumper in its appropriate place as per your mobo instructions then back again
  • Getting a known-good PSU and replacing the one that's there
  • Making sure that when you're testing things you have absolutely nothing that's non-essential for getting past the POST test
  • Shifting your GFX card, even your proc to another mobo for testing (perhaps a mate...)

I'm thinking ****ed PSU which might have ****ed the mobo from the information given, prace bets now!
Unread 28 Aug 2005, 21:29   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Right ive reset the cmos settings by moving the jumpers around.

no joy.

i unplugged the hdd and plugged it into another machine. It works fine except windows hangs on mup.sys which apparently means its trying to tell me that 'i aint goin in no new fangled computer there boy so put me back where i know what the hardware is' or some crap.

without a full windows install (oh joy) i cant simply plug it into another unit and continue onward. the thought of 4 something hours reinstalling servicepacks etc does not tempt me in the slightest esp seeing as the pc i was testing the hdd on is from the last century.

im now about to take off the cpu which will be an absolute bitch if my memory of putting it on serves correctly. If it turns on then ill know for sure its the mobo or psu and not the cpu.

altho at the same time if im going to be spending 100 odd quid + on a new mobo and psu i might as well throw another 60 odd into the equation and get a new cpu on top of it....

fs this has really pissed me off. i can see no way of fixing it either

and it happened FOR NO ****ING REASON
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2005, 21:43   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Things to check in order of expense:
a) Swap PSU (try nicking one out of another machine temporarily)
b) Swap the processor (if you haven't got a compatible one in another machine try this one. Yes I know it says sempron, they renamed the athlonxp range when the athlon64 came out).
c) new motherboard

As to how it could have happened:
failing psu isn't supplying voltages within range.
failing psu spiked the power and something fried.
random bad luck.

60C is quite warm but not dangerous. 75C is the "uh oh" temperature for athlon xps.