User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Aug 2005, 16:29   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
problem with hp laserjet 5l and windows XP

some really strange things are happening here
ok, we have some word document here we try to print. just an average document, 2 pages long, nothing special about it, not even any graphics or stuff.
now the problem: if the text is set to arial the printer wont print, some error lights start blinking and there is some more or less random error message.
now, if, in the same document, we just change the font type to courier new it prints the page perfectly fine.
we also have some excel document and websites it doesnt want to print either. again, nothing special about them.
i tried google but found nothing usefull, can anyone help? i tried the new drivers, but that didnt change anything. OS is windows XP with SP2
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 16:42   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: problem with hp laserjet 5l and windows XP

do you get the same problem printing a document from wordpad in arial font?
Very strange error. perhaps the printer drivers need reinstalling / reconfigging
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 16:51   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

apparently it doesnt want to print arial at all. very strange indeed. i tried reinstalling the printer, installing a new driver etc., but nothing made any difference :/
yes, word pad doesnt work either. i really dont understand this. we just tried to print some random website (with some arial font on it), same error. so i marked the text that wasnt arial and tried to print it. it then somehow devided the text of one page on two pages (like the text of a link on one page and the underline of that link on the next one.

it all looks like some serious driver problem to me, but the lastest hp-driver is from 2002, so i guess they should work just fine.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 17:35   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

do you have another printer to test with to see if that can print arial?
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 17:39   #5
wu_trax

if noone has any other idea, im going to borrow that printer for a few hours and try it at my own PC (my neighbour has the problem, but he doesnt have much of an idea about computers, so he always asks me to help him out)
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 14:47   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it might possibly have something to do with the way it's handling internal fonts. You should check the driver to see if there is any way of enabling or disabling the internal fonts on the printer.

It would help to know exactly which errors it has been coming up with each time you try.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2005, 15:32   #7
wu_trax

the errormessage says that there is no paper in the printer or somesuch. there was enough paper in it and when printing a document with another font it worked just fine.
i think i saw something about internal fonts in some options. ill give that a try when i have the printer here.
Unread 4 Sep 2005, 15:04   #8
wu_trax

im not sure about the internal fonts. i tried to disable them and use something called 'softfont'. the result was the same. im gonna tell him to throw that thing away and buy a new one :/