User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Recruitment

Unread 1 Aug 2015, 03:03   #1
zonny

zonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Norsemen

Through the eons of time, across the vast universe (and by eons I mean the "last decade or so", and by vast I mean "finitely measurable" via a 3 dimensional co-ordinates system), a dull murmur of discontent is growing to an almighty ROAR (or perhaps that is my stomach). I digress...

Many believe the Norsemen chilled out and stopped their reign of plunder, rape and pillage around the end of the 11th century, but in reality, after a particularly heavy feast, and a peculiarly tasting brew, the Norse camps fell into a heavy slumber, and the mother of all hangovers lasting the best part of a millennium.

Only today some of the ancient tribe have been woken by a shrill call to arms. A call to plunder, but more importantly a call to return the "fun" to the game. Do you hear the call? Serious candidates should send us your CV/Resume.

Qualifications:-

* The ability to not give a flying rat's ass.
* The ability to sleep through LT due to extended partying the previous night.
* The ability to write a whole recruitment post and not have any idea how or where candidates should contact us!
zonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2015, 07:57   #2
cepe
ÜberHamster

cepe is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Norsemen

Endorse the Norse!
Unread 1 Aug 2015, 23:37   #3
neps

neps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Norsemen

Goodluck chucks
neps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2015, 19:30   #4
Advantix

Advantix is a jewel in the roughAdvantix is a jewel in the roughAdvantix is a jewel in the rough

On a serious note, pm Adv|Zzz/Golden/Inneed or Zonny on IRC.

You will also need Slack.
Unread 3 Aug 2015, 21:21   #5
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantix View Post
On a serious note, pm Adv|Zzz/Golden/Inneed or Zonny on IRC.

You will also need Slack.
Kind of funny allies moving to slack, but still tell new members to apply through irc.
I see why people want to use slack, but im wondering if BNCs wouldnt do the same trick?

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2015, 23:32   #6
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

BNCs acts as an independent server that connects to the irc server where it stays connected even if you disconnect from your BNC. Any messages and conversations that takes place while you are disconnected is displayed upon reconnection. If the BNC experiences technical difficulties and disconnects from the irc server, then these messages/conversations are lost as nothing is logged.

Slack however is similar to WhatsApp in regards to how messages are displayed; when you have an active data connection, new/old messages are displayed, and you can scroll up to view old conversations. Slack also has the functionality of IRC in regards to how the dynamics of messages and contacts are displayed. You could say that Slack is a combination of IRC/WhatsApp in terms of functionality and display.

Slack is well known for its @ notifications which is sent to all devices associated with the Slack account.

IRC is old technology and it limits what you can do with it nowadays, whereas with Slack you can do a lot especially with Planetarion. Folk will still use IRC for recruitment because Slack isn't a public server - Slack is privatised as you need to invite team-members.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 00:10   #7
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
BNCs acts as an independent server that connects to the irc server where it stays connected even if you disconnect from your BNC. Any messages and conversations that takes place while you are disconnected is displayed upon reconnection. If the BNC experiences technical difficulties and disconnects from the irc server, then these messages/conversations are lost as nothing is logged.

Slack however is similar to WhatsApp in regards to how messages are displayed; when you have an active data connection, new/old messages are displayed, and you can scroll up to view old conversations. Slack also has the functionality of IRC in regards to how the dynamics of messages and contacts are displayed. You could say that Slack is a combination of IRC/WhatsApp in terms of functionality and display.

Slack is well known for its @ notifications which is sent to all devices associated with the Slack account.

IRC is old technology and it limits what you can do with it nowadays, whereas with Slack you can do a lot especially with Planetarion. Folk will still use IRC for recruitment because Slack isn't a public server - Slack is privatised as you need to invite team-members.
This is why i find people moving to slack worrying for the general community.

Unread 4 Aug 2015, 03:54   #8
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

The general community will remain on irc and slowly dissapear until pateam integrate slack into their game, invite could be bundled with sign up email address easily enough
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 07:53   #9
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds
Not really a place for a dicussion on the merits of another communication tool but heres my tuppence on the subject.
Irc was the 1st tool used for pa, at that time it was not integrated, I've gone through the years with galaxies and alliances that used various tools, msn chat room, irc, whatsapp, a realtime chat verbally one i cant for the life of me remember the name of and now this one.
Once upon a time many alliances owned their own irc servers, now i suspect its just us ( netgamers like pa was notoriously unstable in the early rounds ).
Its just the new toy, another will replace it and it will if the rules change on encryption/traceability by security services of messages be subject to not being totally private just like whatsapp and any other direct communication tools.
Players need to connect with everyone in the game not just their alliance, without community this game isnt all that much fun.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 10:12   #10
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
Not really a place for a dicussion on the merits of another communication tool but heres my tuppence on the subject.
Irc was the 1st tool used for pa, at that time it was not integrated, I've gone through the years with galaxies and alliances that used various tools, msn chat room, irc, whatsapp, a realtime chat verbally one i cant for the life of me remember the name of and now this one.
Once upon a time many alliances owned their own irc servers, now i suspect its just us ( netgamers like pa was notoriously unstable in the early rounds ).
Its just the new toy, another will replace it and it will if the rules change on encryption/traceability by security services of messages be subject to not being totally private just like whatsapp and any other direct communication tools.
Players need to connect with everyone in the game not just their alliance, without community this game isnt all that much fun.
The one main reason why alliances are moving over to slack is the @group notifications. @group/@everyone etc will notify everyone in the channel (similar to /notice but highlights like an sms/WhatsApp message does) and sends the notification to all devices that is connected to the user's Slack account. IRC cannot do this. This is useful for important notices such as defence calls, and it's free.

Sure, there's WhatsApp/Telegram/SMS, but Slack's @group notifications works like WhatsApp/Telegram which will send a notification to the user's wireless device (a phone). Other than @group notifications, Slack is like irc in terms of the layout and how you communicate.

I understand that you're old school and loyal to the old technology, but players/alliances aren't going to improve themselves by using IRC as their main communication platform.

I know how useful Norsemen finds Slack (especially InNeed). Last round, all it took was for InNeed to type a single line and they launched their attacks within minutes. (@group Launch so and so at x:y:z now!) this sends a notification to your phone like how you receive an sms, but instead of typing .sms <member> <msg> 40 times, it only took one line and everyone received the notification.

Last edited by Clouds; 4 Aug 2015 at 10:18.
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 11:02   #11
cepe
ÜberHamster

cepe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Last round, all it took was for InNeed to type a single line and they launched their attacks within minutes. (@group Launch so and so at x:y:z now!)
To be fair the Norse can coordinate drunken launches communicated by nothing more than grunts and snores, its the waking up for a set LT that keeps being an annoyance
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 12:49   #12
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

i was reluctant at first with slack, when blackflag first started using it i voted against because of those reasons misty listed, but after using it for a round it was so much better and suited my play style, no need to idle on the server in order to receive messages.
i would suggest PATeam looks to move everything to slack, the email address is already provided so an automatic email confirmation would be the only thing needed to be sent to members. you can be connected to more than one "team" so it wouldn't be an inconvenience
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 13:49   #13
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Agree - There is a chance to move away from IRC however at the same time I do not feel the necessity to remove it as the "official" channel to planetarion. I looked in to using slack last year (we use it a lot at work) but we already had telegram in p3nguins which is linked up to our eff bot so there was no clear benefit of doing the switch over. I would liken slack to just being another channel to pa there is nothing wrong with choice. Basic CSS changes to give PA a more responsive look/feel would be more welcomed than a move to a different messaging platform, with that being said there is no harm to improving the in game mail system to be more "chatty"
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 13:56   #14
Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
Agree - There is a chance to move away from IRC however at the same time I do not feel the necessity to remove it as the "official" channel to planetarion. I looked in to using slack last year (we use it a lot at work) but we already had telegram in p3nguins which is linked up to our eff bot so there was no clear benefit of doing the switch over. I would liken slack to just being another channel to pa there is nothing wrong with choice. Basic CSS changes to give PA a more responsive look/feel would be more welcomed than a move to a different messaging platform, with that being said there is no harm to improving the in game mail system to be more "chatty"
If I recall correctly, Telegram is similar to WhatsApp in terms of notifications. I assume you have a private group for your alliance and any messages delivered to the group isn't notified to team members device, unless they have the correct notification settings (most will disable this due to spam). Unless of course you message each team member separately, which is kind of the same logic as using .sms <member> on irc 50 times. Slack however, you can just type @group Munkee smells and it notifies every team members device, similar to how you message a contact individually on Telegram/WhatsApp.
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 15:30   #15
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

I would love to have a TG bot just like the one p3ng is using, but they arnt giving out the code for it and i dont know anyone who cba to fix a system like it.
In the past ive also used all diffrent communication systems for PA, even ICQ for god sake, but it has allways been just suplements for it.
Moving onto private communication tools where you cant be reached is not the way forward for this community, not how it functions now anyway

Unread 4 Aug 2015, 15:51   #16
Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
I would love to have a TG bot just like the one p3ng is using, but they arnt giving out the code for it and i dont know anyone who cba to fix a system like it.
In the past ive also used all diffrent communication systems for PA, even ICQ for god sake, but it has allways been just suplements for it.
Moving onto private communication tools where you cant be reached is not the way forward for this community, not how it functions now anyway
What do you mean "can't be reached"? You really shouldn't be prejudice when you don't have the slightest clue what Slack is and what it can do.

A lot of other people adopted your prejudicial attitude and found out just how useful the Slack technology is.

But by all means, continue to be prejudice towards something that you have minimal knowledge about and continue to use outdated technology that won't improve the quality of your alliance.
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 16:33   #17
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Since slack is private, it is hard for members not in your alliance-slack to reach u.

It sucks when u cant talk with galm8s cause they arent on irc. Its not like u can connect to slack and talk to them there.

By moving alliances from irc we are making it harder for new people to get involved in alliances.
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 16:46   #18
Blue_Esper

erm, slack can run multiple servers so the privacy would be removed if it became the home base of planetarion, you have #channels and private rooms etc and you can run your own "server" on slack without the fuss of funding a server
Unread 4 Aug 2015, 18:17   #19
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

Gtfo of our recruitment thread!
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2015, 01:13   #20
SantaCruz
I've been around

SantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to behold

Norse is so good they use slack....

Go norse be apart of pa future or die out on irc with everyone still trying to play the game to win.

Slack is good
Norse is good
Both should be experienced
Unread 5 Aug 2015, 06:46   #21
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Telegram is similar to WhatsApp in terms of notifications. I assume you have a private group for your alliance and any messages delivered to the group isn't notified to team members device, unless they have the correct notification settings (most will disable this due to spam). Unless of course you message each team member separately, which is kind of the same logic as using .sms <member> on irc 50 times. Slack however, you can just type @group Munkee smells and it notifies every team members device, similar to how you message a contact individually on Telegram/WhatsApp.
We have separate groups for attack defence normalchat and scans.

Messages from attack and defence are relayed back to irc e..g munkee@defence - gimme anti fi

You can message whole groups via .tg def hi or individuals via .tg munkee hi if they reply to a direct message it comes back to irc as munkee - what?

We have it also setup for anyone who wants to use it for their galchan relaying messages and also for alliances who wish to use it for contact in joint chans, all use the similar .tg group hi

As I say very similar.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2015, 19:23   #22
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by berten View Post
Since slack is private, it is hard for members not in your alliance-slack to reach u.
Then PA needs to update the in game alliance tools for politics. This should be a given if a new player has never played PA or used IRC.

Quote:
It sucks when u cant talk with galm8s cause they arent on irc. Its not like u can connect to slack and talk to them there.
If PA moved to slack, then the game could create thier own "channels/groups" for galaxies, rather than the galaxy having to make one.

Quote:
By moving alliances from IRC we are making it harder for new people to get involved in alliances.
As said before, if PA incorporated better politics tools then the need for IRC would not be needed.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2015, 00:58   #23
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

here's my opinion, your alliance is as good as your members not the communication tool

also good luck norsewimin in your endevour to napping everything in a wargame

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2015, 11:29   #24
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough

We have 1 nap with a proper ally... Rest of our naps are nub allies. If more people did like us it wouldn't be as much bottom feeding and nubs might stick around. Now go find your self a man that can teach you some manners little girl.
Unread 22 Aug 2015, 16:42   #25
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
We have 1 nap with a proper ally... Rest of our naps are nub allies. If more people did like us it wouldn't be as much bottom feeding and nubs might stick around. Now go find your self a man that can teach you some manners little girl.
I wouldnt call FL a nub allie

Unread 24 Aug 2015, 05:25   #26
Krypton
KK

Krypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the rough

Solid call napping the one ally who wont have anyone fighting it all round. Not to mention said ally being the biggest nub bashers. Goes against your philosophy doesnt it?

Last edited by Krypton; 24 Aug 2015 at 07:38.
Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2015, 20:37   #27
Advantix

Advantix is a jewel in the roughAdvantix is a jewel in the roughAdvantix is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
Solid call napping the one ally who wont have anyone fighting it all round. Not to mention said ally being the biggest nub bashers. Goes against your philosophy doesnt it?
Our philosophy is to break the game every weekend to mend the hangover.
Unread 24 Aug 2015, 21:01   #28
Krypton
KK

Krypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe Buddah shouldn't preach otherwise
Unread 27 Aug 2015, 20:41   #29
Kez

Kez has a spectacular aura aboutKez has a spectacular aura about

Slack sounds awesome. I think new players are unlikely that bs tick around using irc - it's far too outdated for playing on a phone. This slack or telegram woujd be much more advisable. It only takes one in game message to find out how to speak to someone. Amy active new prayer would do that!
Kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 11:36   #30
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Quote:
What philosophy?
I just said more people should nap nubs like us...
Maybe you should learn to read?
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 17:52   #31
Krypton
KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddah View Post
Maybe you should practice what you preach...like I said.

FL are the biggest bottom feeding ally, yet you support the "bottom allies". That is why HR HC stated and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Faceless you suck and i hope u guys catch ebola
Therefore, you are being a hypocrite and speaking nonsense. Carry on.
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 20:00   #32
Bram

Bram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to beholdBram is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That is why HR HC stated and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Faceless you suck and i hope u guys catch ebola

Therefore, you are being a hypocrite and speaking nonsense. Carry on.
Hmm.. Looks like there is something you know and I do not..
I could've sworn Greg was not a HR HC and was also not in HR..
But I guess he is cloaked in our member list, on our private server and in our arbiter..

I guess we should start the hunt for him then!
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 20:48   #33
Greg
Addicted since R17

Greg has a spectacular aura aboutGreg has a spectacular aura about

I can confirn that im not HR HC...yet my statement at that moment in time was due to what is called 'bottom feeding'..so your semi right so standard AD comment
Regular member of fleet crashing club
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
James Joyce
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 21:34   #34
Krypton
KK

Ah, my apologies for my incorrect information! I did know that he was in HR for a long time!
Unread 28 Aug 2015, 23:51   #35
Greg
Addicted since R17

Greg has a spectacular aura aboutGreg has a spectacular aura about

lol never been in HR :P look below this msg :P me and misty would be a great team though
Regular member of fleet crashing club
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
James Joyce
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2015, 05:10   #36
Krypton
KK

Haaaa. Outdone by my own inaccurate trolling. Shows how much time i spend observing! ODDR and HR...confusion!

Still. The premise stands from the original post!
Unread 29 Aug 2015, 10:42   #37
Advantix

Greg you bottom feeder!!!
Unread 29 Aug 2015, 18:37   #38
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

at least you're not stavin' marvin!

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote