User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 09:39   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Bad Checksum

I got an old crappy computer for free so was going to play around with it, maybe network it to mine or something but when i try to boot it up i get 'Bad Checksum, press F1 to run setup', pressing F1 takes me to the bios.

I know it has worked recently but i can't seem to get it to work for me.

Also half the time the monitor displays 'no signal found' when attempting to boot up. The Gfx card is a crappy onboard one (there is no agp slot or i would have stuck a spare card in).

How bad is 'bad checksum'?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 10:17   #2
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
doesnt that just mean that you need to play with some cmos settings?

press f1, set the time, set the hard disk and you should be away

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 11:40   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Bad checksum is almost certainly refering to an error in the CMOS data (the CMOS is the chip where your BIOS stores its settings).
Try "Reset BIOS to defaul options" or whatever the equivilant is, and save it. It may be as simple as that.
If that doesn't work you may have to blank the CMOS - there's probably a jumper on the motherboard somewhere. If you're lucky it'll be labled (BIOS_RSET or something). If you're unlucky it'll just have a number and you'll need the motherboard documentation to find it.

If THAT doesn't work, the CMOS is probably fked - in which case, your computer is going nowhere.

Incidentally, you didn't turn it on as soon as you got it in the door did you? You can get condensation on components after transport from the temperature changes - its always a good idea to give it an hour or so to clear up.

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:31   #4
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Bad checksum is almost certainly refering to an error in the CMOS data (the CMOS is the chip where your BIOS stores its settings).
Yeah I've had this exact problem before, I just had to slap a jumper on my mobo to set the bios to factory defaults and everything was ok
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 14:25   #5
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not impossible your CMOS battery is dead
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 18:56   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
tis getting weirder

remember i said half the time i get no signal to my monitor, well now it's 9 times outta 10 but the 10th time it boots up fine without any checksum errors or anything
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 19:18   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sounds decidedly fked to me - intermittant boot faults are generally a sign of something thats either not plugged in properly or is loose, or something thats starting to fail.

How old is it, exactly? P300? P90? 486DX 66?

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 19:36   #8
Ragnarak

it's saying it's a cyrix 200 mhz but i was under the impression it was an amd 233

it's several years old, between 3 or 5 i guess

the mobo is a sis530 (i had the whole serial number, info, etc somewhere but can't find it atm)

i think it's pretty much fked and tisn't worth spending any money to fix it :/
Unread 23 Oct 2002, 11:55   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
The old Cyrix chips are fking **** - (my first PC was powered by Cyrix :)

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote