User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 10 May 2005, 11:27   #1
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Dont shave the Caths!

No its not a typo!

There are some stats flaws in the cath race but there are a few positive points. If you play a strategy to include the positive points Cath as a race are very good. I will admit that they are harder to play than expected.

So how do we play them well?

I'm sure all of you are aware that being an XP whore gives you great score.

The good old formula is my friend.

XP Gained = (Target Value / My Value) * Roids gained * 10

As a cath I'm sure you have noticed your value sucks monkey balls. I have never broken about 400k value due to being targeted incessantly. With a low value when hitting people with a greater value that multiplier in the XP formula is usually about 2 - 3.

So here we are you have a crap value but high score due to all the XP you;ve gained. If you prject this into the future, when you hit top100 your value will be aroun half of the values of other t100 players. it makes you harder to take down by the big players as they can't attack you.

So I think to play Cath properly you just whore xp off large targets with weakness in their fleet make up. Then when your attacked accept that your roids are gone and your value gets lowered. Repeat attack....loose your roids....repeat attack.... etc

Ya see ya dont have to even look at the stats page just build trillions of beetle and mosquitos. Dont build any def ships!!!

Caths are the best attacking race so just attack all the time and forget about deffing your roids!

My 2 cents

tsm
Unread 10 May 2005, 11:33   #2
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Re: Dont shave the Caths!

umm i think ur missin the point, i dont give a feck about xp whores, infact if id played for xp im pretty sure id be high rank as well.
Who wants to play a war game where the aim of the game is to have a big a fleet as possible, if you are playing by using only 25% of your ships. Xp whores have no repect from me and im sure a lot orthers feel same. Infact im tempted just to suiceide half y fleet and show u how to play just for the hell of it. And btw if u are playing xp whore wise, at least dont take up ad allies valuable time and effort, At least have balls to go solo and 3 fleet, that way you have greater chance
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 11:38   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rinoa, I have about 500k value and 1.5m score. Does that make me an XP whore?

Oh, and TSM, the problem for Cath this round is their CR fleet. CO fleets are doing just fine, if they're big enough.

furball
Unread 10 May 2005, 11:38   #4
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

Rinoa I think you are missing the point XP is an integral part of the game and you getting a good score. The more XP you have the more score you have.

If you want to play outside the defined formula inside a text based spreadsheet filled game thats fine!
Unread 10 May 2005, 11:42   #5
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

no it just means you are having a realy bad round. When ive been complaining about failed attacks theyve all been top 10 alliances ive been attacking, but if u cant even on some noob 50% more value than u (what xp whores should be doing ) then yeah you are doing something wrong
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:00   #6
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

tbh if that is the strategy to which you have to resort imo that proves the race is crap, as rinoa said XP whores get no respect from me.

And not to build any def shippies <-----im sure allies are happy about that, i hope they dont even try to cover you, if i was the DC i wouldn't.

its not that i fault you for doing your best within the rules as they are at the moment, but its the rules (stats) that are at fault for forcing people to play that way :/
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:07   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Rinoa, i have said this half a dozen other times in other threads (so far i have refrained from bagging your 'Save the caths' thread): Playing as a Cathaar has nothing to do about defence. When playing as a Cath, it is important to capture roids, not keep roids. This suits a cathaar's highly effective offensive style of play - as you may have noticed no-one is safe from loosing roids this round regardless (squishy even lost roids today to an attacker 1/16th his size - though he did steal his ships :\).

Now, you may whinge about not being able to defend yourself from other race's who are half your value. My respose to that is twofold: XP "whoring" (for want of a better term) relies on players being able to attack others that are larger in value to them - indeed, all caths will have to play like that to win. Secondly, cathaars simply shouldnt give a damn about loosing roids - just ensure that you keep your offensive fleet alive.

tbh, you might find 'XP whores' as the lower-class scum of the universe, but i see them as pioneers of finding an alternative path to victory instead of the old, boring, traditional form of 'whoever has the biggest fleet'. Cathaars, to succeed, must drop this mentality (in addition to believing that it is their sole right to gain free roids), as it is completely outdated and no longer applicable to their race in this round. Indeed, the only race where such rules is i daresay Ziks, but Terrans and Xans are value dependant to a lesser extent. Caths are the only race that can take full advantage of their offensive strike capability and make use of the XP formula of this round.

On that note, every cathaar should be attacking Xans. You are, collectively, too weak to engage ziks anymore, and Terrans tend to be a little too hard to attack (though i am sure there are many viable terrans out there). Imo, caths should be attacking Xans to the extent that it is us who are spamming the boards whinging about the disparity in the races.

Further, i think it has been clearly demonstrated that Cathaar CR isnt the way to go - though Nonentity/furball might be a better person to ask in that regard. imo, the best cathaar fleet is Beetles/Mosquitos and every night you should have two or three fleets out attacking some poor hapless Xan - particularly those without lancers.

Now, Rinoa, i am quite fed up with your whinging. Granted, Caths are likely to be the weakest race this round. Yes, granted, cathaars are the most vulnerable to attack. yes, granted Cath CR fleets are the easiest to stop. Yes, Granted, they have the lowest averages based on Sandman. These are valid points, and they will continue to do so untill all the caths of the universe pull their heads out of the sand and realise that they cannot play the 'old skool' way - they need to seize the advantage of the XP forumula and adapt their playing styles to suit.

I think i've forgotten something, but that rant will do for now.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:25   #8
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
On that note, every cathaar should be attacking Xans. You are, collectively, too weak to engage ziks anymore, and Terrans tend to be a little too hard to attack (though i am sure there are many viable terrans out there). Imo, caths should be attacking Xans to the extent that it is us who are spamming the boards whinging about the disparity in the races.

Further, i think it has been clearly demonstrated that Cathaar CR isnt the way to go - though Nonentity/furball might be a better person to ask in that regard. imo, the best cathaar fleet is Beetles/Mosquitos and every night you should have two or three fleets out attacking some poor hapless Xan - particularly those without lancers.
not to whine ofcourse, as i am not to unhappy about to cath stats. but i think that if you say Cath should XP whore and say a average cath is 4-500k value, there is little chance you find a nice Xan that will get you the XP without him having a decent amount of lancers. And another problem rises with Cath.. to XP whore you need a offensive fleet, assuming you can't keep your roids as cathaar (which prolly has been proven this round ) its extemely hard to recover if you take losses, and the lower your value, the lower the value of planets you can attack, the fewer roids you gain (as lower value planets usually have fewer roids then the big ones) the less XP you gain and the more attacks you have to do to gain a decent amount of XP to keep up. So either way its extremely hard to keep up as cathaar.

As for saying XP-whores are lame etc, i think XP whores are just showing they have adapted to the new game style. As alliance ranks are eventually also made up from XP, and if a planet contributes to that ranking by gaining alot of XP and keeping a low value, he did a good/great job as far as i am concerned
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:26   #9
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Quote:
Now, you may whinge about not being able to defend yourself from other race's who are half your value. My respose to that is twofold: XP "whoring" (for want of a better term) relies on players being able to attack others that are larger in value to them - indeed, all caths will have to play like that to win. Secondly, cathaars simply shouldnt give a damn about loosing roids - just ensure that you keep your offensive fleet alive.

Okay first off i aint never complained about caths defence ships, i knew they were always crap.
I complained because caths main strength, their attacking power was severly diminished this round thanks to too many corsair, weak taras, etc. And no i have never been bothered about losing roids i think this shows how much i do
Total Round Roids: 3,091 Total Lost Roids: 2,800
In effect what i am doing is trying to xp whore but only attacking top 150 planets etc ie trying to be a high level xp whore. Fair enough if xp whores are allowed to do well why must it be that they must only hit medium and small targets? why should xp whoring be confined to the lower levels of the game ? I want to contribute to my alliance in some way attackwise and so i will continue to hit big planets even if it a poor rank, hell at least i make a difference for alliance...
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:26   #10
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Why is the braverly limit capped at 20? Is it so bad that you dont get anything extra for attacking people more than twice your size?
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:29   #11
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Also in regard to the original poster id like to know what races he hits as a percentage?
i have a stong feeling that all the cath xp whores in top 150 simply target other caths non stop, which is The Lamest N o Skill Method Out There
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 12:33   #12
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan

As a cath I'm sure you have noticed your value sucks monkey balls. I have never broken about 400k value due to being targeted incessantly.
Um no quite the opposite infact, some of actually know how to play believe it or not even though stats arent in our favour - lo creature, goku, d-sun
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 13:53   #13
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa
Um no quite the opposite infact, some of actually know how to play believe it or not even though stats arent in our favour - lo creature, goku, d-sun

Ah you finally read all my post well done!

You asked what races i hit. Mainly Xans and while scanning i see a weakness in someones fleet makeup that allows me in with a co fleet. Finding a nice zik w/o too many bucs is grand.

You also state that it is lame to hit Caths. Are you also claiming that if i was a terran it would be lame to hit another terran??

I dont hit cath much cos their value sucks like mine duh! I can't gain much xp for cappin roids that are already gone.

I think maybe you should re-read Ultimate Newbies post, he states what i have said already but a bit more eloquently!

Now to the point of alliance defence. Last time I checked beetles target fi and they are fast travellers....oh wait.....I can contribute to my ally defence using one the best anti fi ships in the game.

/me chucks Rinoa in the river and runs off cackling

/me give props to random pa players <insert nicks here>
Unread 10 May 2005, 14:12   #14
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I've never seen a decent zik without 'too many' buccs...

Anyway, maybe I'm just unlucky; I've been trying that strategy all round, and I'm still doing terribly (and it's not cos I can't find targets, or attack in groups, or team up, or whatever). Still I have a decent amount of xp anyways. The problem is though, as Wandows said, if you take more than a handful of losses to get roids/xp it is extremely difficult to rebuild (I'd go so far as to say that's what has destroyed my chances of doing well this round).
Unread 10 May 2005, 14:19   #15
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Quote:

/me give props to random pa players <insert nicks here>

umm no i was actually listing some nicks who are playing well as cath and didnt pussy out and resort to xp whoring because they couldnt play the game normally.
If a caths only means of doing well is by xp whoring then something is def wrong with the stats and if not then game mechanics. Xp should be for people who arent good enough to play the game properly, as a way of keeping them a decent way to get score even if the are tiny imho
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 14:26   #16
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Quote:
Now, Rinoa, i am quite fed up with your whinging. Granted, Caths are likely to be the weakest race this round. Yes, granted, cathaars are the most vulnerable to attack. yes, granted Cath CR fleets are the easiest to stop. Yes, Granted, they have the lowest averages based on Sandman. These are valid points, and they will continue to do so untill all the caths of the universe pull their heads out of the sand and realise that they cannot play the 'old skool' way - they need to seize the advantage of the XP forumula and adapt their playing styles to suit.

Okay well from all the caths ive spoken to , none WANT to play as xp whores so maybe for next round just remove cath race as all its adding to uni atm is targets bar the 10 or so players who are playing for xp.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 14:54   #17
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

I am Cath. My value is over 1.2 million. I am in a great alliance that defs me as well as possible considering i get up to 8 waves when the majority of non caths in my gal get half as many waves for the same amount of roids. I have pretty low roid count compared to other alliance mates who are my same size. But I still can attack and defend and make a sizeable contribution to my alliance by defending and attacking targets, although i haven't captured a roid in ages. XP in an offensive alliance who fights for the top spot means sh*t. XP whores are out of the top 50 by now, which show clearly that it's _NOT_ the way to play this game.
Now, if you think Cathaars are still a competitive race i can't agree with you. Stats may not change this round, and we wil have to deal with it, but don't try to sell me the 'Caths are still good' bull.
Unread 10 May 2005, 15:32   #18
LocknLoad
Sh33p h3rd3r

LocknLoad will become famous soon enoughLocknLoad will become famous soon enough

I totally agree with Gio2k my stats just about equal his and am in top 5 of stolen and lost roids amoung caths. Also have not capped a roid in a weeks time. I now must just ride the rest of the round out maybe ocassionally cap a roid but lose twice as much when I do. I will live with my decission on being a cath since I enjoy the challenge.
Do not make me get out the paddle!!! "
LocknLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 15:47   #19
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's two main ways to play Cathaar at the moment.

1) Go back to the CO fleet. This depends on your number of CR relative to your value, as well as your number of roids - can you finance a decent CO fleet? If you can (like Rinoa), then yes, you should go for that.

But not all of us can, myself included.

So, you're a Cath stuck with a CR fleet that you feel as if you're always recalling.

2) Continue with your CR fleet. Now, the second question: are you Tarantula-heavy (e.g. 1:1 Tarant/Roach) or Roach-heavy?

Personally I went for Roaches, and have just tried to steer clear of Corsairs, or take the losses. However, planets with a lot of Tulas in VGN haven't done too badly - it certaintly deters Corsair defenders.

If you have gone for Roaches, like me, then Corsairs really aren't your friends. So don't attack Ziks (unless they have no more than 1k Corsairs). Instead, hit Xans, because they're ripe for the taking. Find the FI-based Xans in your alliance's attacks and send Roaches at them. You should be able to stun at least 2k Bombers if you've built your fleet right. Alternatively, there are some Terrans without many Dragons, or Cathaars without many Scarabs. These players have weaknesses in their fleets, and it's your job to hit them, because you can.

This is my attack last night. His alliance sent 1k Bombers, which were just swatted aside by my Roaches. He built about 40 Dragons while I attacked him (which I spotted at ETA 1) but I landed anyway.

I said that my value was 530k. This planet's value? 1 million. That meant that I took 195 * bravery factor of 19 (roughly). This XP works out to about 220k score by itself, and meant that I jumped about 100 places in the rankings. Not bad.

But what about defence, you ask? Simple. Scarabs and Black Widows are vital for alliances as defence against the capital ships. You can do 6+ defences a day with those (assuming attackers recall). DCs will love you.

What good are Spiders, Vipers, Scorpions, Guardians, on alliance defence? Caths need to specialise, not build a balanced fleet. The only reason I have any Scorpions is for co-operation with FR fleets on attack. No other. Ok - I have no Beetles. But conversely, I have more Scarabs/Black Widows than many other Caths. And it's appreciated

So many people seem to be stuck in the mould of old PA, trying to land for no losses and running scared from defence. What's worse is that they can't seem to see the mould itself, they just accuse players like me of exploiting a cheat or playing dishonourably. Rubbish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
I am Cath. My value is over 1.2 million. I am in a great alliance that defs me as well as possible considering i get up to 8 waves when the majority of non caths in my gal get half as many waves for the same amount of roids. I have pretty low roid count compared to other alliance mates who are my same size. But I still can attack and defend and make a sizeable contribution to my alliance by defending and attacking targets, although i haven't captured a roid in ages. XP in an offensive alliance who fights for the top spot means sh*t. XP whores are out of the top 50 by now, which show clearly that it's _NOT_ the way to play this game.
Now, if you think Cathaars are still a competitive race i can't agree with you. Stats may not change this round, and we wil have to deal with it, but don't try to sell me the 'Caths are still good' bull.
This has always been the case with Cath. People have always loved attacking Cath. It's nothing new.

If you haven't captured roids in ages, then you're attacking too high or not teaming up. I'm not going to pretend that it's easy, because it's not. And I don't expect to see many top Caths, because of the strength of Zik this round. Yet in the middle rankings (200-700?), there's no reason why there can't be plenty of Caths, if only they play how the race demands, and not how they want to play.

When you attack, don't calc it so that you can just about land. Leave yourself some room for defence, since your target will probably get some. The real question is: is your target going to be partially covered, or fully covered? Give yourself room to land, and it's far more likely that you can land for 20% losses (which, with XP, is almost always worth it). If you don't, then just one fleet may mean that you can't land. Think about it.
Unread 10 May 2005, 16:15   #20
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Actually ive realised what ive been doing wrong whole round. Ive been attacking only big planets and big alliance planets. Damn silly me for thinking i could actually help my alliance.
Ive came up with a novel way of making sure attacks land from now on,... yes youve guessed it, hit teh noobs!! Thaks pa for backing me into this corner ! So to all you small caths/xans* out there if you see 14k co or 2.5k cr coming your way tonight you know the reasons behind the bashing attempt and i apologise in advance. Should be noted this is not the manner i usually play but am left with no otpions anymore.

*if you are under 850k value u are safe from this bashing
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 10 May 2005, 16:48   #21
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

That's not what he said at all. He said, stop hitting people way out of your reach. Of course, your response will be that everyone your size is "too tough" :'(

You simply seem to be repeating your staple mantra, without listening to someone saying, "it could work if you do X".

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 18:48   #22
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Well I've been doing as Nonentity says all round, and it's not really been working out very well...
Unread 10 May 2005, 18:59   #23
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

I landed a CR fleet against a zik this morning... he lost all his corsair... shame
You just have to pick your targets carefully and take a few more risks than normal, at the end of the day there is a "recall" button if it don't work...!
Unread 10 May 2005, 19:12   #24
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJet
I landed a CR fleet against a zik this morning... he lost all his corsair... shame
You just have to pick your targets carefully and take a few more risks than normal, at the end of the day there is a "recall" button if it don't work...!
Yes, I know that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Knowing it doesnt = success.
Unread 10 May 2005, 19:20   #25
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

Until I read this stuff, and saw you guys all fled from corsairs so much, my 800 roids were covered by a whole 1246 corsairs. Considering as a zik, I have a decent value, why wasn't I getting cath inc?
Unless ofc the crap I make up in MO channels about my no incoming voodoo is secretly true...

P.S. it can hardly be my 400 bombers.

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2005, 22:01   #26
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbie
Until I read this stuff, and saw you guys all fled from corsairs so much, my 800 roids were covered by a whole 1246 corsairs. Considering as a zik, I have a decent value, why wasn't I getting cath inc?
Unless ofc the crap I make up in MO channels about my no incoming voodoo is secretly true...

P.S. it can hardly be my 400 bombers.
Well, I can't attack you cos I'm in your alliance. That's one of us eliminated...
Unread 10 May 2005, 22:31   #27
The Master

well if you wanna be an xp whoring bitch, then I'll make sure I send you a few struk killers to teach you a lesson about defence.
Unread 10 May 2005, 22:35   #28
The Master

and the best cat cr fleet is packed with roaches and tarantulas btw.
Unread 10 May 2005, 22:53   #29
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

I'm too cruiserheavy to switch to CO, like furball too. I've got roughly as much taras as roaches, but I usually attack xans. The problemi is those dumbasses don't run their fighters when they got a few k corsairs for defence, so those are flakked on a 5:1 ratio by xan fighters, so those taras barely scratch them. The tarantula scare factor is not exactly high
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 14:20   #30
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

[21:15] <GJN> hehe, i was right to land. after i spent my reserves that left 60 roach unaccounted for. and i can get them in 10 ticks
[21:15] <GJN> <--- can happily go for a shower in the knowledge that he has actually landed TWO CR fleets
[21:16] <Sovereign> OMG
[21:16] <Sovereign> how dare you?
[21:16] <Sovereign> rinoa is going to go nuts
[21:17] <GJN> LOOOL!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 14:29   #31
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[21:15] <GJN> hehe, i was right to land. after i spent my reserves that left 60 roach unaccounted for. and i can get them in 10 ticks
[21:15] <GJN> <--- can happily go for a shower in the knowledge that he has actually landed TWO CR fleets
[21:16] <Sovereign> OMG
[21:16] <Sovereign> how dare you?
[21:16] <Sovereign> rinoa is going to go nuts
[21:17] <GJN> LOOOL!
Heh. Yeah I actually landed with Cr's fleets for once. I dont understand the fuss tbh. Yes, most days I dont land. However, its an even better feeling when I do. I could switch to Co, but I didnt want to (beneath my dignity as a Cathaar). And yes, the stats arent favourable for Cathaar Cr, and we do get raped by every race. But Its just the way it goes. Next round will probably see an improvement in Cathaar's stats. Itll probably be Xandathrii's turn to have a bad set of stats next round. They seem to be overdue some bad ships compared to the other races...

*For thosewho still use Cr, pick the weak xans in alliance waves, that way, the medium/smaller players are more unlikely to get in galaxy defence, meaning your more likely to get through. Its only small xp gains, but it tides me over until I land myself a biggie
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 14:58   #32
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN
Heh. Yeah I actually landed with Cr's fleets for once. I dont understand the fuss tbh. Yes, most days I dont land. However, its an even better feeling when I do. I could switch to Co, but I didnt want to (beneath my dignity as a Cathaar). And yes, the stats arent favourable for Cathaar Cr, and we do get raped by every race. But Its just the way it goes. Next round will probably see an improvement in Cathaar's stats. Itll probably be Xandathrii's turn to have a bad set of stats next round. They seem to be overdue some bad ships compared to the other races...

*For thosewho still use Cr, pick the weak xans in alliance waves, that way, the medium/smaller players are more unlikely to get in galaxy defence, meaning your more likely to get through. Its only small xp gains, but it tides me over until I land myself a biggie
Beneath your dignity? So you're saying those who use Co are somehow not true to the Cathaar cause? Huh??
Unread 11 May 2005, 15:09   #33
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

I landed on a zik about 3 hours ago. Got 3k xp and 150ish roids. They had no corsairs :-)

I landed on another zik around midday with no anti co at all. I gained 1k xp and around 70 roids!

I know those 200 roids will be raped from my planet by tomorrow but my xp will remain

Tonight I'm hitting a zik with no bucanners some assasin but i freeze em. I will take 100 - 150 roids plus gain 6k xp.

What kind of ratio's am I supposed to use in a cr fleet?

Cheers
tsm
Unread 11 May 2005, 16:13   #34
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

how on earth are you going to get 6k xp even though you're only gonna cap '100-150' roids?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 16:30   #35
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

maybe becuase he is such a brave attacker he is getting a bravery factor of 100
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 11 May 2005, 17:00   #36
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
Beneath your dignity? So you're saying those who use Co are somehow not true to the Cathaar cause? Huh??
Well, I would say so. But in the interest of fairness I can be acused of being dumb, but what the hell, Im stubborn, and I want to make Cr's work (i find co's boring) Also, my galaxy mate is one of leading cathaars in the universe by using cruisers, thus showing what can be done if you have a good start to the round and carry on with the momentum from it...
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 17:03   #37
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
how on earth are you going to get 6k xp even though you're only gonna cap '100-150' roids?
XP Gained = (Target Value / My Value ) * Roids Gained * 10

The Targets Value is 4 times my value

Thus

XP Gained = (4/1)*150*10
= 6000

tsm
Unread 11 May 2005, 17:32   #38
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Clearly as almightily elite player that you obviously are, you went as so far to try and patronize me by pm-ing the formula condensed in basic language, to me. Now, this would be a good idea, IF, you had actually realised that the maximum xp factor allowed is '2' (and therefore 20xp pts per roid), therefore you'd gain 3k points. Hence, you're rather wrong.
Unread 11 May 2005, 17:52   #39
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Here is the reply and pm for all the world to see!

Quote:

Shame the xp factor is capped at '2'.

Please refrain from trying to patronize me.

I've ended t100 in this game 4 times so far in the 6 (7 inc. this one) rounds I've played and have been a top-ranking planet over the course of r11/12. (Though died early r12)
I couldn't give a rats ass what rank you have achieved. You asked me a straight forward question. I gave you a straight forward answer.

maybe you should go to www.dictionary.com and look up what to patronise actually means.

I was unaware the xp modifier was capped at 2, can you point me to where this says in the manual?

Regards
tsm
Unread 11 May 2005, 17:59   #40
furball

Quote:
I was unaware the xp modifier was capped at 2, can you point me to where this says in the manual?

Regards
tsm
Experience ( XP )
This is a hidden field in the database which increases from (among other things) scans and covert ops. The major source of XP is generally from capping asteroids you do not get XP for killing ships!

XP=asteroids_capped*bravery_factor
bravey_factor=10*(target_value/your_value)
bravey factor is capped at 20

--> target value/your value can never have any effect when greater than 2 (i.e. target is double your value)
Unread 11 May 2005, 18:02   #41
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

cheers nonentity :-)

damn Ive been hittin targets 3/4 times my value for ages now! Its shame ya dont get more xp for that!

tsm
Unread 11 May 2005, 18:17   #42
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Rinoa, i have said this half a dozen other times in other threads (so far i have refrained from bagging your 'Save the caths' thread): Playing as a Cathaar has nothing to do about defence. When playing as a Cath, it is important to capture roids, not keep roids. This suits a cathaar's highly effective offensive style of play - as you may have noticed no-one is safe from loosing roids this round regardless (squishy even lost roids today to an attacker 1/16th his size - though he did steal his ships :\).

tbh, you might find 'XP whores' as the lower-class scum of the universe, but i see them as pioneers of finding an alternative path to victory instead of the old, boring, traditional form of 'whoever has the biggest fleet'. Cathaars, to succeed, must drop this mentality (in addition to believing that it is their sole right to gain free roids), as it is completely outdated and no longer applicable to their race in this round. Indeed, the only race where such rules is i daresay Ziks, but Terrans and Xans are value dependant to a lesser extent. Caths are the only race that can take full advantage of their offensive strike capability and make use of the XP formula of this round.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ultimate Newbie again.

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2005, 18:46   #43
jerome

I didn't ask you a straightforward question.

Unfortunately, sarcasm and irony has flown past your head twice now.

To state the painfully obvious:
1] The original question was asked in full knowledge that you were quite obviously wrong, hence my intension to make you look like a bit of a tit. Mission successful?
2] If you look at the time I posted my reply to your answer in this thread and my reply in PM, you will notice that I replied here first. Why? because I foresaw this situation coming hence wanted to just show your condescending nature or rather your point blank stupidity first, then to "rub it in" though you didn't even 'get it', I was the exact same back to you in pm, hence displaying irony.

I apologize for not extrapolating your lack of grasp from all your posts I've read so far. I admit fault there.
Unread 11 May 2005, 18:58   #44
jerome

Quote:
Latest Reputation Received Thread Date Comment
Dont shave the Caths! 11 May 2005 17:53 go fcuk yourself - tsm
Unread 11 May 2005, 19:09   #45
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with the essence of the thread starter.

So what if one race is weaker, if you play to their strengths, like anyone playing Zik/Terr/Xan, you will succeed and get into a higher position.

From playing last round, PAX is an old skooler's dream as you don't have to be conservative anymore and looking to keep roids, XP encourages players to be extremely hostile, and the only thing you need to do is worry about not getting fleetcaught, which applies to anyone, not just caths. Last round I was Zik (arguably the strongest race) and like any top 100 planet, we were all built on XP to a pretty large extent.

And quite honestly, if you don't have confidence in your own cathaar fleet, hone it to be attacking, team up with another race, or quit.
Unread 11 May 2005, 19:13   #46
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think i showed in beta that the only race which can reach the top bar terram/xan/zik was by xp whoring with cr on xans, however I also saw the beauty of the cath co fleet, if coupled with the zik co fleet it is virtually unstoppable, stop whining and start attacking, we all looked at the same stats when choosing our race, its no one elses fault, but your own if you choose cath and your doing shit
Unread 11 May 2005, 19:44   #47
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I might just be stupid, but what about a cr fleet (roach heavy) coupled with Black Widows against terrans? I know I could be raped with that, especially if most of my BS were out somewhere..

But that might just be me, and I'm probably too low value for most of you to attack me!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2005, 11:56   #48
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

umm kill the de and u dont even need to workk about sending anti cr :/
but its easier to send our corsairs anyway lol
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 12 May 2005, 12:42   #49
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to _ryzekiel_ again.
Unread 12 May 2005, 12:47   #50
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Quote:
I didn't ask you a straightforward question.

Unfortunately, sarcasm and irony has flown past your head twice now.

To state the painfully obvious:
1] The original question was asked in full knowledge that you were quite obviously wrong, hence my intension to make you look like a bit of a tit. Mission successful?
What exactly is the point to this. Is you e-penis bigger now?

Quote:
2] If you look at the time I posted my reply to your answer in this thread and my reply in PM, you will notice that I replied here first. Why? because I foresaw this situation coming hence wanted to just show your condescending nature or rather your point blank stupidity first, then to "rub it in" though you didn't even 'get it', I was the exact same back to you in pm, hence displaying irony.
How come no one else picked up on my condescending nature? Non Entity clearly explained where I was going wrong. Thats a positive post. Yours is simply negavtive, hence the neg rep!

Quote:
I apologize for not extrapolating your lack of grasp from all your posts I've read so far. I admit fault there.
Your apology is accepted, now get back in your box!

tsm