User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:42   #1
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough
My life in a nutshell.

I don't know whether I'm looking for advice or guidance about the current state of my life but I'm worried about my degree and where my life is going.
Here's some background on what I'm doing:

Currently I'm in the 2nd year of my degree studying Computing at one of the top Universities in the country, so as you'd expect standards are high, and the workload is higher. I was a relatively bright student coming into my degree, got 4 A's at A level in maths, physics, history and computing, and I enjoyed studying them. Yet since I've been at Uni, I've found it increasingly hard to focus on work, In my first term this year I attended most lectures, and got good corsework grades, however last term I found myself lacking motivation (not just for the course, for pretty much anything) and i missed alot of lectures, and got some appalling coursework marks for things I left to the last minute. The trouble is, I do like my degree, but I haven't worked hard enough to actually know anything about it!

Now my exams have started, I've done bits of revision, but because I haven't been focused or working hard this year I feel I don't know anything, and for some of the modules it's not far off. I have ten exams total, each 2 hours long, and each on completely different topics. I've taken 3 so far this week, the first two were ok, infact one of them was better than i expected, but, todays exam was awful. I've got another exam tomorrow, then 4 days free to revise before the next one (only 2 exams next week), and then 4 exams the week after. I need 60% average for the year otherwise I can't do the 4 year course (which is what I want to do). Has anyone else been in the same situation, or got some advice on how I can learn this work in such a short time frame. Another thing you should know is I find it really difficult to sit down and revise, after maybe 10 minutes I will get adgitated or distracted and find any excuse to do something other than revise. Also, I can't work out if music helps or hinders my revision, when I have it on, it starts distracting me, when I have it off, my brain misses it! It's a conundrum!

As far as revision material goes, I have pens, I have paper, I have the lecture notes and tutorials, I don't have any books, nor is it practical for me to try and get any at such short notice, and I do have past exam papers. I have the means to revise, but not the will, please help me GD to discipline myself to actually sit down and work rather than check on planetarion, idle on irc or read the forums!

Also, if I don't get the marks I need, what should I do? Resit the exams in the summer (if they let me), resit the year (if they let me), do the 3 year course (if i get enough marks), or something else? I know computing is what I enjoy doing it, but i just seem to have stopped doing it in my spare time since starting my degree! Whats wrong with me

Damn my brain and it's imperfections!
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:50   #2
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
Re: My life in a nutshell.

Use the study-reward system. Say to yourself "ok, if i manage to study for 30 mins, then ill have a beer, or wank, or 20 mins of WoW"

It works for me when "THE TRIUMPH OF THE WILL" is not working properly (which, btw, is my motto when i have to do something i hate, which is 95% of the time)
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:57   #3
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

I don't have WoW and drunk revision is bad!
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:58   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
ok, if i manage to study for 30 mins, then ill have a beer
Dont do this if you want a successful day/night of revision.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:24   #5
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I always find the hardest thing with projects/essays/revision is actually starting.

Once i've managed that part i'm fine for however long it lasts.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:25   #6
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Dont do this if you want a successful day/night of revision.
AAAAnnyways, i think you got the point of "reward studying". Its quite effective, I use it whenever i have to do something i dislike (95% of the time)

Also you might want to tell your situation to the dokter and ask to begin a ritalin treatment. I hear is quite effective in making people use their brains in a subtly usefull way, instead of having it in "roam mode" all day!
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:29   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I also endorse the drug (ab)use route although it only really works in the short-term.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:31   #8
Richie987
Mistress's fluffer

Richie987 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
I always find the hardest thing with projects/essays/revision is actually starting.

Once i've managed that part i'm fine for however long it lasts.
Main question is WHAT motivates you?

Your a bright lad by the sounds of it so once your learning its ok, just getting you to that phase. Reward studying is good but make sure your strict on yourself - not doing a countdown in the last minute of revision

Hope it works out.
#1 Galaxy Winner
#1 ********** Galaxy winner
Top 15 ********** planet
Richie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:34   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

your degree classification isn't the be all and end all.
make sure you're happy, have fun.
You're allowed to fail a certain number of modules. I got 15% in one last year and 37% in another but so long as I do ok on these modules I'm doing now and my project then I still get a 2:1.

It might be worth you changing your working environment - go and sit in the library for a few hours. It might just kick-start the revision. Write a bit of a plan - it's amazing how much easier it is to work when you have a revision structure. Just list the topics that need doing and work through a few of them.

Alternatively, disconnect your internet, lend all game cd's to a housemate who can hide them, grab a coffee, clear your desk and get to work.

Keep telling yourself that it's only for a week or so, then you can go out and get drunk again

Oh and regarding music - I like to have it on - it drowns out background noise. I have certain CD's that I listen to when revising, Fun Lovin Criminals and Prodigy tend to work best...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:47   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

suicide is a popular choice.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:56   #11
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

is a tight squeeze?
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:27   #12
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I also endorse the drug (ab)use route although it only really works in the short-term.
I think you are confusing with anphetamines and stimulants, which is bad bad for ye.
HOWEVER
Ritalin was originally concieved for treatment of people with Attention deficit disorder. After quite a few years in the market, it has shown that its perfect for people with a so called healthy mind. "Normal" people benefit from it, showing a greater improvement in tests where attention and focus is important - just like studying.

Lately it is being prescripted left and right with great results
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:32   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think you are confusing with anphetamines and stimulants, which is bad bad for ye.
Erm....what? I'm not confusing anything. I take Ritalin and I also regularly take amphetamines and I'm well aware of the difference dude.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:35   #14
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Erm....what? I'm not confusing anything. I take Ritalin and I also regularly take amphetamines and I'm well aware of the difference dude.
you said taking ritaline is good but in the long run it sucks

well
thats anphetamines

ritalin is MEANT to be used forever...

whereas anphetamines screw your brain and shite......
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:37   #15
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

well
thats anphetamines

ritalin is MEANT to be used forever...

whereas anphetamines screw your brain and shite......
yes.

it's good to be on drugs forever.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:43   #16
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
yes.

No its not
It sucks.
But some people have to. Like the clinically depressed and stuff....

its a tough life
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:44   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
No, ritalin is not actually "supposed" to be taken forever - at least not how it's prescribed here. Generally it is prescribed to children with behavioural problems (ADD, ADHD, etc) with the hope they can form better habits / pattern of behaviour. You'd find it very difficult for a doctor in this country to prescribe it indefinitely for instance.

Please read my original post. I never said that it "sucks" in the long term. There are some long-term health problems associated with the abuse of any stimulant (and while ritalin is not an amphetamine, it is still a central nervous stimulant). Theamion recently posted a link to a study which showed an increase risk of cancer for instance. But that's not really what I meant.

You can obviously take it every day of your life if you wish - much like you can take other stimulants (and your sharp distinction between amphetamines and other stimulants is wrong-headed by the way). I just wouldn't (not even coffee or tea). The effects on energy levels when you come off them is just too great. I would always prefer to be healthy enough for an average day and then resort to stimulants when I needed an extra. Which is what I meant in my original post.

p.s. Have you actually read the full medical info that comes with an ordinary packet of ritalin or concerta?
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:47   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Do you smoke every day?
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:48   #19
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
No its not
It sucks.
But some people have to. Like the clinically depressed and stuff....

its a tough life
Quote:
suicide is a popular choice.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 20:20   #20
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

I heard this site offers better advice.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote