User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:16   #1
JTheGayC

Water found on Mars

Mars express has detected frozen water on the surface of mars!
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:23   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Water found on Mars

URL? Or lie?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:26   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

'Mars express' inclines me to believe it's a lie.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:33   #4
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Mars express is the european probe in mars orbit (if u intended to make a joke about how esa is unable to find their own bottom leave alone water on mars then u should have added )
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:36   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just heard it on radio1 - must be true then!

Edit: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...978238,00.html
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:42   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's good news, especially if we want to make a colony.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:49   #7
JTheGayC

Quote:
Not really as the place where colonies are suggested aint at the poles but at equatorial regions and it may be cheaper just to send water from earth.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:50   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I hope the colonisation of Mars doesn't reduce property prices.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:51   #9
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTheGayC
Not really as the place where colonies are suggested aint at the poles but at equatorial regions and it may be cheaper just to send water from earth.
Have you seen the price of Evian?!

(I stopped at petrol station before and didnt realise youcould get water for free so topped windscreen wiper thing up with Evian!!)
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:53   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Have you seen the price of Evian?!
Have you seen the Pacific Ocean?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 12:54   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Any product which is Naive spelled backwards should be avoided.
Reminds me of when I went to see Jasper Carrott a couple of weeks ago. He made a joke about Newark, then said "well what else can you expect from a place thats an anagram of wanker"
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:11   #12
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Quote:
SuperBush saves teh day!!!!!!
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:45   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Have you seen the Pacific Ocean?
the pacific ocean is saltwater. would cost far too much, and its very uneconomical to distillate the water. The earth has a severe lack of freshwater in comparison

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:51   #14
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
the pacific ocean is saltwater. would cost far too much, and its very uneconomical to distillate the water. The earth has a severe lack of freshwater in comparison
If you're trying to tell me that we don't convert seawater to drinking water, then I don't believe you.

(Sim City 3000 let me build desalination plants, and I'm working on the assumption that computer games never lie.)
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:55   #15
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

heh, distilling water on mars would probably be ridiculously easy, since it's ridiculously hot during the day and freezing at night
if you set up your kit for sundown, you could evaporate all your water, bang it gets dark and it condenses, then it all freezes and you can cart it away easily
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:55   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Desalination is pretty expensive (depending on how it's done) but I think importing bottled water from Mars might be a bit pricey too...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 14:57   #17
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

err...maybe was I dreaming, but I was under the impression that they discovered that mars has polar ice caps a while back....?
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 15:04   #18
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
err...maybe was I dreaming, but I was under the impression that they discovered that mars has polar ice caps a while back....?
Well they knew it had ice caps, but it could well have been another frozen chemical, like carbon dioxide maybe (dry ice)
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 15:08   #19
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
First they said it didn't have water, then they said it did, then they changed their minds and said it didn't again. Now it looks like they've changed their minds again.

Not that it really matters either way
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 15:11   #20
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

why did you think that dude?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 15:13   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

hay, so it is like water mixed with CO2. I guess they could can the stuff and send it back, and it will be like ready made mars soda

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 18:55   #22
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
Well they knew it had ice caps, but it could well have been another frozen chemical, like carbon dioxide maybe (dry ice)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN.com
NASA's Mars Odyssey, also an orbiter, confirmed water ice at the north pole, along with dry ice -- frozen carbon dioxide -- in 2002. It picked up signs of hydrogen at the south pole, the first indication that water ice might be found there.
I wasn't dreaming, and they did know about water
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 18:59   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
why did you think that dude?
Read on, and find out.

Oh, and the water is likely to be sealed within the crystalline matrices of rocks, not as a big underground icecube.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:11   #24
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buh, nothing new. We have known there was something on the caps and its still something. It could be frozen Martian Pee for all we know. The question is, and always has been, exactly how does it exist on mars (frozen water cubes mixed with gravel?) and is it water or something else.

All they know for sure, is that Hydrogen exist.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:13   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Buh, nothing new. We have known there was something on the caps and its still something. It could be frozen Martian Pee for all we know. The question is, and always has been, exactly how does it exist on mars (frozen water cubes mixed with gravel?) and is it water or something else.

All they know for sure, is that Hydrogen exist.
Hydrogen is usually a pretty good indicator for water, given that we know oxygen's there.

I don't get what you're asking when you say 'how did it get there', though.

The local hydrogen reacted with the local oxygen, the usual way you get water.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:18   #26
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I want them to find beer on mars
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:25   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
I want them to find beer on mars
There's enormous amounts of ethanol in nebulae.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:42   #28
Intrepid00

Quote:
Hydrogen is usually a pretty good indicator for water, given that we know oxygen's there.

What if the hydrogen mixed with Clorine (which easily mixes with just about any other elemant). Not something I would want to drink.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:53   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
What if the hydrogen mixed with Clorine (which easily mixes with just about any other elemant). Not something I would want to drink.
Well, it's not liquid so it would be quite hard.

And noone's saying it's ALL water duder. It's just statistically impossible that water isn't present.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:01   #30
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Water found on Mars

Quote:

Planets don't make water, for the most part.

The earth's water is thought to have been part of the original accretion or perhaps added later by comets; not formed by local oxygen reacting with local hydrogen. First because free oxygen is too reactive to last long (absent plant life to replenish it), and second free hydrogen tends to evaporate off all but the largest planets.

The presense of hydrogen on Mars is significant because it's evidence that water is present and is breaking down (due to solar ultraviolet radiation); not that water is being formed.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:12   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Planets don't make water, for the most part.

The earth's water is thought to have been part of the original accretion or perhaps added later by comets; not formed by local oxygen reacting with local hydrogen. First because free oxygen is too reactive to last long (absent plant life to replenish it), and second free hydrogen tends to evaporate off all but the largest planets.

The presense of hydrogen on Mars is significant because it's evidence that water is present and is breaking down (due to solar ultraviolet radiation); not that water is being formed.
If you hadn't noticed, my answer was a tad facetious.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:18   #32
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
A-har! It's all becoming clear now.

Remember how the British basically got to a new country put the Union-Jack down and said, right this is now ours. Beagle's mission was probably similar.
  1. Wait for Mar Express to find water.
  2. Navigate Beagle to that area and place the Union Jack down.
Volia Mars is now a part of the United Kingdom! Genious (if Beagle hadn't have crashed and burnt that is).

...when will the old empire-like ideas die...
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:20   #33
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
A-har! It's all becoming clear now.

Remember how the British basically got to a new country put the Union-Jack down and said, right this is now ours. Beagle's mission was probably similar.
  1. Wait for Mar Express to find water.
  2. Navigate Beagle to that area and place the Union Jack down.
Volia Mars is now a part of the United Kingdom! Genious (if Beagle hadn't have crashed and burnt that is).

...when will the old empire-like ideas die...
You think Beagle's not reporting back because it's broken?

Beagle's not reporting back because it's too busy planting the Union Flag on every land mass on Mars.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:22   #34
Intrepid00

Quote:
Well, it's not liquid so it would be quite hard.

And noone's saying it's ALL water duder. It's just statistically impossible that water isn't present.
Europa has oceans of ammonia in theory.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:23   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Europa has oceans of ammonia in theory.
I thought the current thinking was that it was water.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:23   #36
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I feel www.beagleconspiracy.co.uk needs reg'ing.
Don't forget about the Beagle sabotaging the yank lander.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:28   #37
Intrepid00

Quote:
I thought the current thinking was that it was water.
No, the accept worldwide theory is it has oceans, warm oceans. Ammonia is one of the possiable makeups of Mars polar caps AND europa since it is NH3.

All hydrogen presence proves (in theory) is that there is hydrogen. Not water, HCl Acid or Ammonia.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:31   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
No, the accept worldwide theory is it has oceans, warm oceans. Ammonia is one of the possiable makeups of Mars polar caps AND europa since it is NH3.

All hydrogen presence proves (in theory) is that there is hydrogen. Not water, HCl Acid or Ammonia.
That's not what I queried.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:32   #39
Weeks
Banned

ps http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/M...ess/index.html
pics & vids.
This is ace
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 01:12   #40
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Warm by what standards? Should I get my beach stuff packed?

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 04:50   #41
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

one kilo of cargo taken there would cost around 3 kilos of gold, so its pretty hopeless to think that its feaseble
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 17:46   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
one kilo of cargo taken there would cost around 3 kilos of gold, so its pretty hopeless to think that its feaseble
Aside from the really strange quantification of cost, WHERE are we going?
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 19:50   #43
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Taking water from earth to mars.