User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Jan 2004, 02:03   #1
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Soon to be upgrading 2: bloody hell

Right,

I haven't actually installed the new processer yet, however I have installed a new Cd-writer complete with the Nero CD. Unfortunately the sound doesn't work now. It's not a compatibility issue, can anyone suggest what might be up?
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 12:45   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Soon to be upgrading 2: bloody hell

you only installed the CD-writer right?

I'm don't quite fully understand the problem. What sound doesn't work? Sound from media in the drive? or all sounds even run from the computer hard disk?

If you can't get audio CD's to work, have you connected the sound wire from your soundcard to your cd drive? Computers these days don't need it and can do it via the IDE cable though.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 13:06   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Comedy, though quite possible 'have you hooked the speakers up to the right socket on your soundcard after you put it all back together again' option. I know I've ****ed it up on numerous occasions where I couldn't be arsed finding a torch.
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 13:17   #4
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

I only installed the CD-writer, yes.
And I have lost ALL sounds, not just the from the CD.

I'll look into pabs' suggestion
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 20:50   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Suggestion 1:
This is unlikely to be down to the CD drive, but just to test, take it out and try again? Post results here.

Suggestion 2:
Look in device manager. In Windows XP, bring up the properties for My Computer -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Do any devices have warnings or errors (it'll automatically expand the branch of ones that do so you can spot them)? Is you soundcard still listed under Sound, video and game controllers? Post results here.

Suggestion 3:
Is your soundcard an onboard one? If so, have you been playing around in the BIOS and accidentally turned it off?

Suggestion 4:
As pab has suggested, find the correct output and/or turn on your speakers. If this is the cause, hit your head on the desk. Hard.

Unread 9 Jan 2004, 00:19   #6
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

does the computer boot without a processor ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 21:10   #7
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

NOO, at least, not as far as i know.

The processor does all the processing, it's called a CPU for a reason

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 00:57   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
NOO, at least, not as far as i know.

The processor does all the processing, it's called a CPU for a reason
Are you using logic or 1st hand knowledge?

i tried it before, it tries to POST but said CPU - Not Present and stopped.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote