User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 19:56   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
English is a complete pile of utter bollocks.

Agree.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 19:59   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: English is a complete pile of utter bollocks.

Disagree.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:00   #3
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

There went my motivation to go to college again.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:00   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Your only option was agree. Like "Discuss.", but less open.

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:01   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've no idea why anyone would choose it as a degree subject.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:04   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I've no idea why anyone would choose it as a degree subject.
How about if they were a complete moron, who wasnt any good at any other subject, and didnt care what they did so long as they were in uni?

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:06   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
How about if they were a complete moron, who wasnt any good at any other subject, and didnt care what they did so long as they were in uni?
That's what philosophy or sociology are for, surely?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:12   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That's what philosophy or sociology are for, surely?

Sociology is for sleeping. Now that's where I'm a viking!

PS I like english, I even like some modern english lit but for ****s sake deffeh what were you thinking?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:14   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Never had those choices in school.

Besides, i did like English once. Unfortunately, the english degree course is a creativity stifling unimaginative pile of crap.

Listen to this

Q.7
'That is not what i meant at all,/ That is not it at all.'
Write an alternative account of the love song of J Alfred Prufrock from the point of view of one of the women whose arms are 'braceleted white and bare' in the poem. This should be in prose; your version should relate to the original by picking up several specific references from it and working them into your account. It should not just mirror Eliot's poem all the same, but should look to add something of its own. Questions to resolve before starting include what class these women are, and in what period?

That pile of shit is what they call a "creative writing" option. Creative writing my ****ing ass, thats surely "restrictive writing". Im learning absolutely **** all from this Pretentious wank course, and thats what they serve me up to try and be creative with.

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:17   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm sorry but ahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm dreading what my sociology essay titles will be though. "Write a 20 page exposition of why Marx was great."
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:20   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Most degree courses seem to stifle creativity, although perhaps not to that extent. I still bemoan the fact that the study of political philosophy is massively focussed on studying other people's ideas, or worse what other people think of someone else ideas.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:24   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

It really is unbelievably bad. What makes it worse is my tutor is King Pretence from Twatsville.

Him : "What does this mean, when it says they had a roof but no ceiling?"
Pretentious git in my class : "I feel it means they arent afraid of who they are, being who they are, and that it shows an out complexity plagued with the paradoxes of mankind"
Him : "Yes, very good, but i would also say it signifies the raw emotion bubbling over in the house, the desires and hidden agendas"

And im sitting there, thinking, what the **** - how the **** can someone as shit as you get a job

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:29   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Most degree courses seem to stifle creativity, although perhaps not to that extent. I still bemoan the fact that the study of political philosophy is massively focussed on studying other people's ideas, or worse what other people think of someone else ideas.
Philosophy (academic) is nearly as bad. I found a critical critique of a commentary on Russell's interpretation of Marx's response to Kant's influence on Hegel*. Political science is pretty neat so far as regards actually talking about ideas in general rather than some random gobshite's take on something nobody cares about. Sociology on the other hand is a continual mental masturbation over various sociologists and what they happened to say one day while they were delirious in between breakfast and brunch.

*Okay, I actually didn't, but it conveys my point pretty well.

PS Tomorrow in the library I'm going to ask if they have it though.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:32   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

My presentation topic for my class in two weeks is "How would you reform the welfare state?".

I'm going to try and slip "armed rule of the working class" somehow, although I'm not exactly sure how.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:34   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
It means that the outside influence them but they couldn't influence anything outside them. A roof being seen from the outside, the ceiling from the inside. Or it means the poet's a ****ing cretin. Poetry's nice and all but just blurting out random things that pop into your head and sound intellectual is gay.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:35   #16
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
they're too poor for proper construction works?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 20:54   #17
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Quote:
Media studies

Quote:
"What does this mean, when it says they had a roof but no ceiling?"
They live in a two story building?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 21:28   #18
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
"What does this mean, when it says they had a roof but no ceiling?"
They live in a nice converted barn.

It probably has some lovely exposed beams as well.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 21:51   #19
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Why is it won't and not willn't is my question.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 21:55   #20
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Oh dear, I wanted to do eng lit and lang, sociology and philosophy but ended up on eng lit and lang plus media studies.

I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:16   #21
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
Media studies
Im doing that as a filler

The way things are going i may major in politics

Pity i dont have an idealogy. y understanding of poltics is pretty good but my only real opinion is "Tommy sheridan is a ****ing idiot"

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:19   #22
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

Strongly agree, i've been saying it for years. all the academic rigour of fraggle rock*, dressed up in phrasing which deliberately avoids clarity.

*i was going to say sesame street, before I realised that it was actually more intellectually sound than the average english essay.
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:23   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't you be mocking fraggle rock, earthboy.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:24   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: English is a complete pile of utter bollocks.

Quote:
Pity i dont have an idealogy. y understanding of poltics is pretty good but my only real opinion is "Tommy sheridan is a ****ing idiot"
Exchange 'Tommy Sheridan' for 'Tony Blair', multiply tens of times, and you have all the people on my politics course.

Please stay away from the academic discipline of Poitical Science. Thank you.

Oh, and exchange 'pretty good' for 'pretty shit'.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:25   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Don't you be dragging the good name of science down with your political filth
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:27   #26
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: English is a complete pile of utter bollocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Don't you be dragging the good name of science down with your political filth
It's scientific, and it's political, so what else should we call it?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:30   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's scientific, and it's political, so what else should we call it?
In what way is it scientific?

How the hell can you have a repeatable experiment in politics?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:31   #28
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Exchange 'Tommy Sheridan' for 'Tony Blair', multiply tens of times, and you have all the people on my politics course.

Oh, and exchange 'pretty good' for 'pretty shit'.
When i'm PM, therell be no room for fence sitting bisexuals like you.

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:31   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
When i'm PM
Particulate matter?

You're going to get blown up?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:33   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Why is he a ****ing idiot?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:34   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
If he's anything like John J Sheridan, he'll get round things by shouting rather than having actual opinions.

And John J Sheridan made it to president I'll have you know.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:35   #32
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
When i'm PM, therell be no room for fence sitting bisexuals like you.
You couldn't even be elected Mayor of Hartlepool, you McShiet. Even if you dresed up in a clown costume and dispensed French monkeys from a blimp.

On second thoughts, look what happened with Prescott and John Major.

I fear for the future.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:37   #33
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
He's Scottish, and a Socialist, and is therefore approximate to something approaching a Mongol Barbarian in the minds of most Southerners.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:38   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
He's Scottish, and a Socialist, and is therefore approximate to something approaching a Mongol Barbarian in the minds of most Southerners.
Deffeh's from glasgow though...?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:39   #35
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
How the hell can you have a repeatable experiment in politics?
Scientific analysis, approach, etc.

We don't actually get beakers out and melt down Thatcherites in vats, you know, although I wouldn't stand in anyone's way, hohoho.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:40   #36
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Deffeh's from glasgow though...?
I was making a completely irrelevant side-point, because I had nothing else to say, al la Nod.

He is a stick-swinging populist twat though. You have to hand it to the chap.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:43   #37
G_frog
Look over there!

You don't have to have theory->experiment->new theory on some models of science; you just need statements which can be falsified. falisification by logic or existing evidence will do. it's just hard to develop good theoretical frameworks and avoid ad hoc theories under those conditions.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:45   #38
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

English isn't even a proper language.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:48   #39
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParraCida
English isn't even a proper language.
Why on Earth not?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:48   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_frog
You don't have to have theory->experiment->new theory on some models of science; you just need statements which can be falsified. falisification by logic or existing evidence will do. it's just hard to develop good theoretical frameworks and avoid ad hoc theories under those conditions.
Problems:

No control.

No repeatability.

No mathematical framework of any meaning.

etc
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:50   #41
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Why on Earth not?
I don't think he was being serious, luv.

If he was though, then we'll flood his country and steal their windmills. Mabye even set fire to Belgium on the way back.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:54   #42
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The windmills will keep him cool!

WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:54   #43
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Why on Earth not?
Its part this, part that, inconsistency here, no structure there.

Every time england was conquered they took a piece of the conquerors language and used it. My dutch teacher could explain it a lot better than me, in any case, the scandinavian and roman people had the biggest influences on it.

Ofcourse, don't try to tell this to any brittish person, it's almost on almost on the same level of denial as acknowledging the colonial power of the netherlands in the 16/17th century.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:55   #44
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

how stupid am I posting this on a mainly brittish forum.

5-6 posters in rapid succession, 2 making fun, 3 denying this with facts and one semi acknowleding it but not agreeing with it.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:55   #45
G_frog
Look over there!

Yes, i know.
Quote:
it's just hard to develop good theoretical frameworks and avoid ad hoc theories under those conditions.
a lack of control does not prevent an experiment falsifying a statement about the outcome of the experiment, it just makes it hard to determine which factors affect the outcome.

results are repeatable in the sense that statements can be made about a class of events which recur.

Mathematics is inessential, it's just incredibly useful.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:56   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well, aside from the fact that english 1000 years ago would have been unrecogniseable today (which was the last time we were conquered), why do you seem to think that all languages spring into life fully formed?

Do you speak Esparanto?
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:57   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Its part this, part that, inconsistency here, no structure there.
I see you're following the traditional linguistic method of defining a language then.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:58   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The trouble with that is that the main power of science resides in the things that it lacks.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:59   #49
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
Every time england was conquered they took a piece of the conquerors language and used it. My dutch teacher could explain it a lot better than me, in any case, the scandinavian and roman people had the biggest influences on it.

Ofcourse, don't try to tell this to any brittish person, it's almost on almost on the same level of denial as acknowledging the colonial power of the netherlands in the 16/17th century.
What are you talking about? we all know english is a mish mash, and if i realised the netherlands were a major colonial power it seems scarcely credible that others would actively deny it.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 23:00   #50
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
The trouble with that is that the main power of science resides in the things that it lacks.
So? that doesn't mean it can't be a science (though it probably isn't).