User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 1 Sep 2003, 21:43   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
PHP sessions and localhost...

I've been playing with PHP again, and tried to do some stuff with authentication and sessions, but (i think) something is not working between my browser (Opera, set to accept all cookies) and localhost.
I've tried with copied examples, and still no look.
I can set $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'], but it isn't storing between pages.

If it is an Opera-problem, then telling me how i can stop IE telling me i need to connect to view the page (when i clearly don't...and can't) may help....
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 21:50   #2
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
are you calling session_start(); at the top of every page?

[edit]

showing us the code of the page(s) in question might help
Unread 2 Sep 2003, 21:11   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Yes, and as i say, i've copied examples off a CD which came with a book (more than one), so i really doubt that is the problem...and the code is on another computer, so not easy to get it here....
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 11:54   #4
Add

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
Yes, and as i say, i've copied examples off a CD which came with a book (more than one), so i really doubt that is the problem...and the code is on another computer, so not easy to get it here....
you would be surprised, but no-one can help you with the information you are giving us, there could be a million and one things wrong. we need more information.
Unread 3 Sep 2003, 19:32   #5
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

More information? Like what?

The first example:
Code:
<?php
session_start();

$HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'] = "Hello";

echo "Example = $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'] = "Hello";

?>
<a href=page2.php>Next</a>
and page2.php is...
Code:
<?php
session_start();

?>
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 00:54   #6
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Your double quotes don't match and your haven't given your PHP version but you could check there is a "session.use_cookies = 1" in your php.ini.

I found I could get around IE trying to connect by pressing cancel and refreshing a few times. There's an option about trying to connect in the options somewhere.
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 10:10   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Your double quotes don't match
Exactly.

Also, what error msg are you getting?

Help us to help you!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 11:31   #8
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
More information? Like what?

The first example:
Code:
<?php
session_start();

?>
<a href=page2.php>Next</a>
and page2.php is...
Code:
<?php
session_start();

?>
this just looks wrong....

the echo bit looks wrong..

and in later versions you can just user $_SESSION['example']
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 16:53   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
echo "Example = $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example']";
You can't do that.
Code:
<?
session_start();
$_SESSION['example'] = "Hello";
$example=$_SESSION['example'];
echo "Example = $example";
?>

<a href="page2.php">Next</a>
Code:
<?
session_start();
$example = $_SESSION['example'];
echo "Example = $example";
?>
Working example at http://www.vd-tools.com/page1.php.

As far as I am aware there are restrictions on where you can use $_SESSION etc so the easy way round it is to always assign all session variables to normal variables at the top of each page.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 17:10   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
You can't do that.
Yes you can. Try it and see. His problem is that the first page works and the second doesn't.
Quote:
As far as I am aware there are restrictions on where you can use $_SESSION etc so the easy way round it is to always assign all session variables to normal variables at the top of each page.
$_SESSION is a superglobal and can be accessed anywhere. $HTTP_SESSION_VARS is a global and can be accessed anywhere outside functions, and by using global inside functions too.
http://www.php.net/variables.predefined
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 18:16   #11
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

The quotes are correct on the version on the other computer, simply a typo here.

There's no error message, page2 just reads

Example=

----

In Gayle's example, there's a PHPSESSIONID attached to the URL...my page doesn't have this, should it? And if so what's the line in php.ini to look for.

---
Will try looking for/changing the cookies setting and come back
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 19:16   #12
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Will try looking for/changing the cookies setting and come back
it's unlikely to be a cookie problem as most browers don't give you the ability to reject session cookies..

session.use_trans_sid is the php ini thing i believe, but you don't need it attached to the url for sessions to work..

if you copy gayles code and execute it on your system, it should work. If it doesn't then you've got an issue with either your browser (unlikely), or some config issue in you php/webserver
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 20:03   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
In Gayle's example, there's a PHPSESSIONID attached to the URL...my page doesn't have this, should it? And if so what's the line in php.ini to look for.
????

Nothing extra in the URL when I try it
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 20:08   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Yes you can. Try it and see.
I did, you can't.
Code:
<?
session_start();
?>

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in /home/gayle/www/page1b.php on line 4

Unless I'm mistaken with my syntax?
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 20:29   #15
Add

Quote:
I did, you can't.
Code:
<?
session_start();
?>

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in /home/gayle/www/page1b.php on line 4

Code:
<?
session_start();
echo "Example = " . $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'];
?>

I don't know why so don't ask.
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:13   #16
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Add
Code:
<?
session_start();
echo "Example = " . $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'];
?>

I don't know why so don't ask.
I know that one works

For some reason neither $_SESSION nor $HTTP_SESSION_VARS work directly within an echo (or several other places, PHP doesn't like you using it as a parameter for a function either) though, hence why I assign them all using a foreach
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 23:59   #17
queball
Ball

Quote:

it's
echo "Example = $HTTP_SESSION_VARS[example]";
or
echo "Example = ${HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example']}";

I was going on "I can set $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['example'], but it isn't storing between pages." and trying from a shell but forgetting quotes were stripped :-/
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:49   #18
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
call phpinfo() (or whatever that function was) on the 2nd page.
it should somewhere show you with data is stored in your session.
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 00:54   #19
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
????

Nothing extra in the URL when I try it
his cookies dont work. in that case php puts the sessionid as an extra attribute to the url, otherwise it uses a cookie (at least i think so, maybe wrong)
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 12:32   #20
Add

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
his cookies dont work. in that case php puts the sessionid as an extra attribute to the url, otherwise it uses a cookie (at least i think so, maybe wrong)
no, i accept all cookies and i still got the phpsessid in the url on gayle's example. most likely her server just puts it there.

SYMM: what php version are you using? Can you post a link to your phpinfo page for us to look at?
Unread 5 Sep 2003, 19:48   #21
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

4.0.3pl1 on the hosting i use ( http://www.norcliffe.scsuk.net/test/moo.php )
but 4.3.0 on my home computer.

page1.php and page2.php are in that directory (using Gayle's syntax), and still appears not to work (for me and others).

session.use_cookies is set to 1 on my home computer, no access to check on the host.