User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:51   #1
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
ATX power supply query

ok got my cheiftec case with the supplied atx power supply where do i connect all these cables comin out of it on my motherboard
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:00   #2
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm..well the only 1 connecting to the motherboard is the big connector, the rest are for drives and possibly fans etc

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:04   #3
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
There should be one big connector (like 4cm wide) - this supplies the motherboard power, and it shouldn't be too difficult to spot the socket on the motherboard where it plugs in, usually up by the processor somewhere.

The other plugs hanging off the PSU are for various devices - the most common are about an inch wide, which go in your various CD/DVD/hard disk drives. The only other one you need to worry about is the floppy drive power - this is smaller (about 1cm across), usually white, with 4 tiny pinholes.

Once you've got your motherboard and all your disk drives plugged in, you're in business. The rest of the cables can be tucked away on top of a CD drive or something.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:31   #4
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
heres some pics to show u what i mean quality is a bit ****e thou

http://live_forever.users.btopenworld.com/Photo001.jpg

http://live_forever.users.btopenworld.com/Photo002.jpg

http://live_forever.users.btopenworld.com/Photo003.jpg

http://live_forever.users.btopenworld.com/Photo005.jpg

Last edited by cookiemay; 22 Jan 2003 at 23:56.
cookiemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:54   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You ignore all of those.

There should be a longer one that's quite chunky (like a version of the first photo with more pins). That goes into the socket on the motherboard.

If you don't have one on your PSU then it isn't a standard ATX PSU.

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:55   #6
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

ive already put the big 4cm on in i was wondering what those to cables were for
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 23:36   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
It is a standard ATX PSU, it is becoming the *new* standard.

My Antec 380W TruPower has those *extra* cables, they simply provide more power to the motherboard.

Most common of those slots are new P4 mobos, *some* nforce2 boards and most, if not all big server type boards.

EDIT - I have consulted my PSU manual.

This is an ATX12V form factor power supply. An ATX12V power supply has a single 20-pin Main Power Connecter (the plug everyone uses), a 6-pin AUX Power Connector and a 4-pin +12V Power Connecter to the motherboard. It is backwards compatible to previous ATX form factor power supplys. You can still use this power supply if your motherboard does not support these extra connectors.

So there you go.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:17   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I never said it wasn't ATX standard - I said it wasn't if it didn't have the long strip plug (which it does, so it is).

Those 6-pin aux power things are weird - my old P200 motherboard ran just off 3 of them (no strip). That must have been the old AT standard I suppose.

Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:27   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
It doesn't fit on my P200mmx mobo, it really looks like it does though.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote