User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 8 Jul 2009, 18:41   #1
Falran

Falran is an unknown quantity at this point
Galaxy Entrance Thresholds

I'd like to see the Galactic Commander have the ability to set some sort of minimum thresholds that must be met in order for a planet to be allowed to enter an empty slot opened up by exiling an inactive planet in that galaxy.

For instance, lets say our galaxy has an average size of 500, an average value of 500k, and an average score of 750k. Lets make a threshold that sets some sort of minimum level a planet must meet to enter an open slot in this galaxy. Let's not use size, since roids can come and go and isn't likely the best indicator of activity. Value is a decent one, but maybe someone left an inactive galaxy after a bad fc. Let's use score as the best indicator of activity then.

Therefore, I propose we allow the GC to have the power to set the minimum threshold for entering the galaxy. I suggest this to be able to be set to at least 60% of the average score of the galaxy. So, once this threshold is set, in order for a planet to enter the galaxy they must have a score of at least 450,000 (750,000 * 0.6).

This should allow the most competitive galaxies to avoid the huge frustration of perpetually exiling 1-3 planets, every 2 days, for the entire round, to no avail. This should even help lower galaxies that just want active planets of a semi-respectable size and not have to wait weeks for them to possibly become useful.

This should also help good planets from getting stuck exiling a ridiculous amount of times, and wasting tons of resources, before they find a decent home.
Falran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2009, 19:27   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Galaxy Entrance Thresholds

If your goal is to make people quit because they can't exile into decent galaxies, then I'm sure this suggestion would do the trick. I am not exaggerating when I say this is the single worst idea I've heard in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falran View Post
This should allow the most competitive galaxies to avoid the huge frustration of perpetually exiling 1-3 planets, every 2 days, for the entire round, to no avail.
Cry me a ****ing river.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2009, 21:34   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is to help these newer/casual players, not throw them out with the trash.

Bad idea.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2009, 21:42   #4
Falran

Falran is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for helping newer players, but you CAN NOT help people who don't want to be helped. Sooo many planets come through that don't make any effort to reply to any in game mails, post on the galaxy forums, or visit the galaxy irc channel.

Planetarion is in desperate need of a way to actually assist new players. Throwing them into the middle of a galaxy with lots of activity is just going to leave them confused and overwhelmed, and useless to everyone else. Let's find a new way to help new players, and not at the continued expense of alienating everyone that still enjoys planetarion and is doing their best to have a successful round.

Oh, and going off on a bit of a tangent, for another suggestion, let's fix the suggestion forums. We can make them a much more conducive and successful environment by moderating out pointless, ignorant, bashing replies, like the one above by Mzyxptlk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I am not exaggerating when I say this is the single worst idea I've heard in months.

Cry me a ****ing river.
Totally constructive, thanks lols.

Last edited by Falran; 8 Jul 2009 at 21:52.
Falran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2009, 22:05   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're complaining that you have to press 2 buttons every 2 days. Sorry, but I don't have time for that kind of whining. Also, you might want to read the first sentence of my post, the one in which I explain why your idea is shit. Neither newbies nor veterans will benefit from segregation.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 8 Jul 2009, 23:17   #6
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light

You're completely missing the point of self exiling, for example people who could well be active or good (or both) but started off in a terrible galaxy, not allowing them to grow. Now you suggest these people should just face a round of only being able to land in a bad galaxy. I have been there myself, and can safely say if the chance of actually landing in a good gal was taken away its quit time, which i am sure would be the case for most.

As for the rest, what mz said.

Retired.

Last edited by ElAlan; 8 Jul 2009 at 23:19. Reason: typos etc
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 01:21   #7
Zotnam
Over the moon
Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Sperm Wars Champion

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

He has a point imo.. except the threshold should be extremely much lower, maybe 20% of the average score. This threshold should also not apply to brand new sign up ups, or signing up late would be seriously fubared.

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 02:34   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

You're idea works for big score searching for an exile
You're idea doesn't work for new sign ups or active lowbies (after a crash or a fleet catch).

More interesting imho would be to give the GC the ability to filter access to his gal by race. Selective Immigration.
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 10:07   #9
r2baz
Sonny Sunshine Champion

r2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to allr2baz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falran View Post
I'd like to see the Galactic Commander have the ability to set some sort of minimum thresholds that must be met in order for a planet to be allowed to enter an empty slot opened up by exiling an inactive planet in that galaxy.
... snip
No, just no.

This kind of "selective elitism" is one of the* reasons PA struggles to keep so many new players. Making it harder (giving the new players less of a chance) to meet active players and be brought into the game is wholly the wrong way to go.

Imho just accept it as part of the game and move on.

Last edited by r2baz; 9 Jul 2009 at 10:08. Reason: added "one of the"
r2baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 12:37   #10
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

I like the idea to get rid of the completely random distribution, but I suggest implementing it completely different. I'd make it so that the top galaxies can only get the lower ranked players and the lower galaxies get the better players. That would force the top galaxies to put some effort into the people who join their galaxies. Pick the most active and teach them the game.

Last edited by Gerbie2; 9 Jul 2009 at 13:59.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 16:20   #11
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
I like the idea to get rid of the completely random distribution, but I suggest implementing it completely different. I'd make it so that the top galaxies can only get the lower ranked players and the lower galaxies get the better players. That would force the top galaxies to put some effort into the people who join their galaxies. Pick the most active and teach them the game.
Good point, if they wana keep up with the competition, they have to work for their newbies. How ever as pointed out this can be really frustrating, for both sides.

I dont mind if galaxy desides what sorta standards u need to fill to fit in the galaxy, removes unnessesary jumps just to see they want something else than yourself.
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 16:35   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I don't think forcing people to be in certain types of galaxies is a good idea.
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 17:25   #13
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

But I rather join where they want me, rather than be kicked all the time...
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 17:58   #14
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Horrible.
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 18:33   #15
Duo

Duo has a spectacular aura aboutDuo has a spectacular aura about

I wonder how many of you that reply exile those newbies as fast as humanly possible. How noble!
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 19:09   #16
Ave

I havent exiled any single one.
Unread 9 Jul 2009, 19:22   #17
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotnam View Post
This threshold should also not apply to brand new sign up ups, or signing up late would be seriously fubared.
Agreed, not just for this reason but also it could be open to abuse, for example gals exiling a load while having a massively high threshold to make sure they dont get anyone else exiling in. Then getting 5 or so to sign up, drop threshold and have them all exile in the same tick, instant fortress gal.

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2009, 03:45   #18
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

What if the gal fund was used for recruitment:
The bigger the planet joining your gal, the most it would cost to the gal fund. MoD or GC would set the maximum amount they're ready to spend to get good exilees.
The planet joining would get 10% of that amount, the rest would just be lost.
Unread 10 Jul 2009, 08:25   #19
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Crap idea

But then again, exiling is crap no matter what
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 13:40   #20
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Perhaps we could have a fresh look at exiling?

The idea is rather poor, but it does highlight the need for looking at exiling in general again. When I say it needs looking at - I don't mean it should be disabled because people think it's bad for the game - not having some form of exiling would be more harmful to Planetarion.

Personally I agree with Gerbie2, higher ranking galaxies should not be able to cycle through planets until they get a suitable high ranking planet - however I'm sure most would disagree with it.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 10:21   #21
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Perhaps we could have a fresh look at exiling?

The idea is rather poor, but it does highlight the need for looking at exiling in general again. When I say it needs looking at - I don't mean it should be disabled because people think it's bad for the game - not having some form of exiling would be more harmful to Planetarion.

Personally I agree with Gerbie2, higher ranking galaxies should not be able to cycle through planets until they get a suitable high ranking planet - however I'm sure most would disagree with it.
OK, it may be no secret i dislike exiling completely, but yes, if it stays, it should be changed so, that it doesnt allow for abuse. So, we have to ask ourselves: what is exiling meant for, or, what did the coders want to achieve.

Right now, galaxies exile planets for several reasons: getting rid of inactives, getting IN actives, getting rid of spies and assholes, etc.

Define what it is used for, define how it is abused, and then change it to eliminate or minimize abuse, while keeping the benefits.
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 11:19   #22
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I would like to repeat myself:

Remove galaxies.
Instead, have planets distributed in a sphere, where people can choose on sign up to be placed completely random, or to be placed in a specific "corner" of the sphere.
Have a minimum travel time of ETA 5, and everything above that calculated from the distance between two planets.

Etc pp. I'll post more if I find the chat logs between mz and me.
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 11:50   #23
Mzyxptlk
mz.

http://pastebin.ca/1494561
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 13:03   #24
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I think remove galaxies belongs over here.

I don't disagree with it, but it just needs a lot more discussion than hijacking this thread can provide.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 13:08   #25
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
I think remove galaxies belongs over here.

I don't disagree with it, but it just needs a lot more discussion than hijacking this thread can provide.
While I do not disagree with the statement that removing galaxies should be discussed in the proper thread for it, I would like to point out that I posted this reminder about that idea mainly because this thread is another one trying to iron out a problem created by the galaxy system as it exists.

It is always boiling down to people not being able to play in the market they want to be in.
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 15:32   #26
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

I seem to remember that we had dynamic travel time before. It wasn't a success. (That was with galaxies still, though)
Unread 14 Jul 2009, 16:27   #27
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
I seem to remember that we had dynamic travel time before. It wasn't a success. (That was with galaxies still, though)
We did not have that since round 3 at least. It's always been the (galaxy eta) or (universe eta +- modifications from ship class and research) for travel. Except was overburn, but overburn is not what mz and me discussed with dynamic travel times.

Anyway, this should be placed in the 'Remove Galaxies' thread.
Unread 15 Jul 2009, 12:19   #28
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
We did not have that since round 3 at least. It's always been the (galaxy eta) or (universe eta +- modifications from ship class and research) for travel. Except was overburn, but overburn is not what mz and me discussed with dynamic travel times.

Anyway, this should be placed in the 'Remove Galaxies' thread.
What i meant is the (one?) round where the farther your cluster number was away from your own cluster number, the longer you had to travel.