User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2003, 22:16   #1
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Use of alliances in the game.

One thing with PAX is that there is an incentive for people to be a member of the alliance - in fact it's almost impossible to not be in an alliance and survive. Perhaps the alliance feature of the game could be extended to solve some of the problems we have now.

Supposing each alliance can declare 1 specific enemy alliance. There would need to be size limits to this, say only an alliance half your size and bigger and only 2 people can declare war on a given alliance. If you then have bonuses for attacking hostile planets, or just penalties for attacking non-hostiles.

Examples are maybe only capping 15% roids from neutral planets and 20% from hostiles. Being able to hit 20% your size on hostiles (or even no limit) with a 30%+ limit for neutrals. Extra score for killing hostile ships, limit attacks on a non-hostile alliance to 2 waves in 24h etc....

Limiting how many alliances can declare war on you limits the scope for blocking because any alliance will want the bonuses. It reduces the incentive to hit randoms and there will be more incentive for smaller alliances to declare war on oneanother rather than gang on alliances they can't actively declare war against....

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 22:19   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use of alliances in the game.

There are certainly many options available...but the actual implementation itself always seems to be a problem.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 23:49   #3
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
There are certainly many options available...but the actual implementation itself always seems to be a problem.
Agreed....
The idea is good yet has many limitations. How do you prevent people creating fake alliances just to make sure theirs allready has the max hostile limit reached? (I wouldnt mind being a payed planet doing this if it prevented my alliance being attacked as a hostile) And I doubt many alliances would be willing to signup with their real names if this plan happens. Making it only implementable somewhere halfway the round.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:10   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

also, with random galaxies, you'd have to form a block with other alliances so that you could find people to cover the whole gal

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2003, 05:29   #5
mikay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbij
Agreed....
The idea is good yet has many limitations. How do you prevent people creating fake alliances just to make sure theirs allready has the max hostile limit reached? (I wouldnt mind being a payed planet doing this if it prevented my alliance being attacked as a hostile) And I doubt many alliances would be willing to signup with their real names if this plan happens. Making it only implementable somewhere halfway the round.
It's possible and easy, just takes thought.

Everyone is part of an alliance. You can track how many of x alliance attacked y alliance. Make the hostility status disappear if not enough fleets are launched on a daily basis. Stop an alliance declaring was on another ally outside 50-200% their size, fake alliances won't help much there.

There is so much potential if you can actually track who does what. Think of the old xan points, wouldn't an automatic "most wanted" list at the end of the round be cool, or automatic stats to see who defends most etc... With alliances hard coded in the game all this is possible.

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 11:59   #6
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were HC of a major alliance I'd just split my alliance in 2 parts. No size difference and noone able to declare war on you. Defense shouldnt be a problem as long as both parts are equally sized and active.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 02:52   #7
mikay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbij
If I were HC of a major alliance I'd just split my alliance in 2 parts. No size difference and noone able to declare war on you. Defense shouldnt be a problem as long as both parts are equally sized and active.
Noone to declare war on you and no wars the other way so don't gain the advantages. The whole point is that declaring enemies gives advantages so you don't want to hit neutrals. Limiting how many ppl can declare war on you stops too much ganging up.

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 15:28   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

the two halves of the alliance set each other as enemies, and then just hit newbies with the normal attack or a penalty. in most cases, the other big alliances not attacking you is well worth it

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote