User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 22:59   #1
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions wanted on Graphics Cards for PC gamer Tower on Tight Budget

First post updated please read

Ok here's the deal...

He wants a system that's capable of performing gaming wise for stuff like World of Warcraft, UT2k4, Doom 3, Newer RTS's and the likes, however he isn't financially affluent.

Now I've invested a lot of time and research into the best PC tower system for cost I can get him.

Here are the details.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8GHZ FSB800 512kb Hyper Threading
512 mb DDR400 PC3200 RAM (Samsung/infineon/Apacer one of those brands)
ASUS P4P800S MotherBoard
MAxtor 80gb 7200 bog standard thingie.
LG 52X CD-RW
One of the ATI Radeon cards pending on Advice(Total price will reflect an ATI 9600 Radeon XT 128 MB DDR AGP8X DVI TV-out)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1
Linkworld Black Tower Case
400Watt PSU

Total Price = $1068 Canadian after Taxes (483 British Pounds)

Ouch about $130 over budget before Taxes.... please help...

Now I'm going to work on hyperlinking to the items listed there for reccomendations/Advice on these components, we are pretty much just overbudget as it was as he was not looking to go above $800 before tax(15%).

Yes yes we know, needs to account for an OS, Monitor, Peripherals... got that taken care of.

So am I making any massive Faux Pas? I'll definately look into every reccomended alternative for whatever reasons you post to check the costs. I appreciate all input even if it's just a 'sup it looks good ' so if you've taken the time to read, posting something to let me know is great.

We are settled on the Processor, the PSU, The Tower CAse, the Soundcard, the Motherboard, the Ram (we can add another bar of 512 later), but not the Videocard which seems to be a massive point of contention so please Dazzle me with your facts especially with regards to foresight about price drops in the ATI series with regards to the X800 series just out.

Last edited by Sunday8pm; 9 Oct 2004 at 11:39.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote