User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 23 Jul 2007, 02:56   #1
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society
bring back fuel cost

even if it's a new type of asteroid..... would be a nice element to add/bring back... make it less for in C, etc
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 09:23   #2
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future
Re: bring back fuel cost

i think it would be nice to know why you think it would be nice to bring it back

i would think that it reduces attack activity because you have to save resources to defend/run your fleet .... maybe ingal movement could be free.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 10:42   #3
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Well, it'd bring more complexity and it'd serve as to limit fleet movement to an extent. Clever people could spot a fake fleet observing fuel cost developments.

I'm just brainstorming here, but you could direct fleets through it, sort of. Sending a defence mission would be cheaper in fuel (because you'd be eligible for taking advantage of the friendly planet's infrastructure, warpgates, or equal shit) as where attacking would cost more, and ingalaxy defending would be the cheapest.

Of course, it would all require restructuring in the resource pitch in what comes to ship costs and so on.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 11:00   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If this was introduced in isolation it would serve to limit fleet movement, roid movement and hasten stagnation. I don't think an old-style fuel system would be helpful but there could be some value to a new approach.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:23   #5
RuBBeR
speCTacular

RuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura about

why where fuel costs disbanded in the first place?
R30 BREAK

RuBBeR has a speCTacular aura about
RuBBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 15:59   #6
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBBeR
why where fuel costs disbanded in the first place?
Finally, someone asks the right question.... They were abandoned for a lot of the reasons JBG mentioned. Basically what would happen would be late in the round the big players would be spending all of their time trying to convince their smaller gal mates to trade Eonium into the gal fund so they could still launch fleets. It really was a mess and definitely increased stagnation in the game. The whole universe cheered when fuel was removed from the game, it was far more work then it was worth. The fundamental problem with fuel is it goes one way or the other, either there is too much of it, and then no one cares about it, or there is too little of it and the big players have trouble launching. The first problem makes fuel pointless, and the second leads to a lot fewer fleets flying around the uni, and therefore stagnation. Fuel, while it sounds interesting have been proven in the past not to work well as part of PA and therefore should be left in the scrape heap of discarded ideas that didn't work.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 13:13   #7
The Wanderer

The Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really nice

I agree with JonnyBGood and Monroe.
After one or two months of playing PA in the past, all ran out of E.

Most fleets stayed at home, unable to attack or defend.
I have seen more than one big player loosing his entire fleet cause he was unable to rescue his ships while under massive attacks.
Short before the end of the rounds, all stayed at home and it was really boring to wait and save Eonium to be able to join the last attack.

I dont want the fuel cost back. Now I am able to start my fleets when I or my Galaxymate needs them.
And I dont have to wait a week to have the fuel for a single start.

Without the fuel cost, the game is faster and dont get boring later on.

Speak my native language as good as I yours, then flame me again.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 13:26   #8
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Tbh we don't have that problem anymore, cause rounds are getting shorter, and i predict they will be 72 ticks long by 2010.

|edit| Fuel brings tactics back into the game, atm there are none cept bash & run.
If a big player get caught at his own planet cause he has no fuel left to rescue it, then he fubared his own round, and he would deserve it.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 13:35   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fuel costs make the game more complicated.

Making the game more complicated is a bad thing.

Ergo fuel costs in the game are a bad thing.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 13:38   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
If a big player get caught at his own planet cause he has no fuel left to rescue it, then he fubared his own round, and he would deserve it.
I'm sure he could still set his fleet on prelaunch towards the neighbour's kitten. You know, all this fleet killing is so angry and hostile, and after all, we're trying to play a peace and love game here.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 13:46   #11
The Wanderer

The Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really niceThe Wanderer is just really nice

Well, I know I had a bad start, but if you would read my post, then you would see, that I said "boring".

Boring, cause you are UNABLE to fight.
Boring, cause NO battle is going on.

If you want to hide your fleet, then do it.

What I have said is that it is boring WITHOUT a battle.

Edit: Changed a wrong "is" to a "it"

Speak my native language as good as I yours, then flame me again.

Last edited by The Wanderer; 24 Jul 2007 at 14:39.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 14:05   #12
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

i think that it should be implemented but in way that hasn't been suggested and defnitely not for the way it was. Make it cost you res depending on your fleet value to pre-launch your ships.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 15:31   #13
mathematician

mathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura about

a little change in how eonium works can help.
eonium is not use to fuel the fleet, but to power the jumpgates.
without eonium, eta of ships is as if you haven't researched any eta
you may pay 1x E cost to get a -1 eta (if you researched it)
you may pay 2x E cost to get a -2 eta etc.
mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 16:40   #14
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with what everyone who has opposed re-introducing fuel has said. Abolishing fuel was one of the best things done by PaX, and long may it stay this way.
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 18:11   #15
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

So, we should also eliminate ship cost because once we loose our fleets and roids we will not be able to send fleets out untill we rebuild, at least, not fleet that could make a substantial difference.

In fact, following the "too much gas (useless)-too little gas (stagnation)" argument, we should eleminate costs for everything, make everything free.

I never understood or agreed with the arguments put forth for elimination. I have always liked the idea of "scarcity" of everything, it makes us plan better, it makes the game more complicate indeed (which I don;t necessarily agree is bad for the game), and it curves down (although it does not eliminate) those launch and relaunch till you got to bed strategy which is often abused by big value players, especially during the last weeks of any round. Moreover, we now have a universal trading market, if big player wants to keep attacking after realizing that their strategy have failed to secure a steady fuel income, then, pay the consequences, trade in for a penalty.

Finally, we could make it that Cr/Bs travelling time with fuel is 11 (as it is now)... but without fuel (i.e. for fiction's sake, cruising with solar power) would take one or two extra ticks

Last edited by Aedolaws; 8 Aug 2007 at 18:21.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 08:46   #16
RuBBeR
speCTacular

RuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura aboutRuBBeR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematician
a little change in how eonium works can help.
eonium is not use to fuel the fleet, but to power the jumpgates.
without eonium, eta of ships is as if you haven't researched any eta
you may pay 1x E cost to get a -1 eta (if you researched it)
you may pay 2x E cost to get a -2 eta etc.
Then it would be impossible to know what incoming you have, hence making it almost impossible to defend youreself.
R30 BREAK

RuBBeR has a speCTacular aura about
RuBBeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2007, 19:06   #17
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

not really, an FA scan could reveal this info clearly.
And even before reaching FAz, the news could reveal the info. For example, it could say the fleet is "cruising" (no eonium), or the fleet is "rushing" and will land at, etc
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 01:28   #18
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
even if it's a new type of asteroid..... would be a nice element to add/bring back... make it less for in C, etc
This, from someone that is not going to be playing actively in the forseeable future.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote