User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:13   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

I'm sure you don't care about US politics, but it is just getting sad.

In Texas, the state senate democrats all fled to New Mexico to avoid allowing the quorum necessary to redistrict the democrats out of Texas. The governor of NM (a democrat) had to put police protection around their hotel because some of the Republicans in Texas were looking to hire bounty hunters to kidnap them from NM and bring them back.

But that's not the sad part.

The sad part is that this is the second time this year that this has happened in Texas (the first was in the state house, and they fled (like 50 or 60 of them) to OK).

In California, they just recalled their governor, who just began his term in January. But it gets pretty ugly there too. Because in California, it only takes a couple thousand signatures and a couple thousand dollars to get on the ballot, it looks like more than 100 different candidates will be on the ballot this time around. And as only a plurality is required, someone could win with less than 1% of the popular vote.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:17   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Go Arnie!
He could get 1% easy!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:22   #3
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
And as only a plurality is required, someone could win with less than 1% of the popular vote.
Hardly likely, unless everybody in California votes for a different candidate.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:24   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Don't you have to be a millionaire or some such to become a governer? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:28   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Don't you have to be a millionaire or some such to become a governer? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
That's probably campaign costs dear.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 17:31   #6
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
...in California, it only takes a couple thousand signatures and a couple thousand dollars to get on the ballot, it looks like more than 100 different candidates will be on the ballot this time around. And as only a plurality is required, someone could win with less than 1% of the popular vote.

I thought the news today said you only needed $3500 + the signatures of 65 registered voters (I could be wrong, though)
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 18:02   #7
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Hardly likely, unless everybody in California votes for a different candidate.
Of course it's unlikely.

But who is actually going to be collecting any big chunk of votes?

It's a huge democrat state, but the democrats aren't going to let any democrat run because they have the governor. And the governor isn't allowed to put his name on the ballot. So what's left is a few dozen republicans (big names like arnie and riordan and simon don't look like they are running) led by Issa, the car thief, none of whom is popular, and maybe 100 third party candidates, obviously none of whom are popular.

It ugly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Talon
I thought the news today said you only needed $3500 + the signatures of 65 registered voters (I could be wrong, though)
That does sound right.

Apologies for my anti-exageration.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 18:24   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
I'm sure you don't care about US politics, but it is just getting sad.

In Texas, the state senate democrats all fled to New Mexico to avoid allowing the quorum necessary to redistrict the democrats out of Texas. The governor of NM (a democrat) had to put police protection around their hotel because some of the Republicans in Texas were looking to hire bounty hunters to kidnap them from NM and bring them back.

But that's not the sad part.

The sad part is that this is the second time this year that this has happened in Texas (the first was in the state house, and they fled (like 50 or 60 of them) to OK).
Heh. Redistricting is a bitch.
Quote:
In California, they just recalled their governor, who just began his term in January.
Actually, I believe the California supreme court just ruled that a recall election could go forward. I don't believe they've recalled anyone yet.
Quote:
But it gets pretty ugly there too. Because in California, it only takes a couple thousand signatures and a couple thousand dollars to get on the ballot, it looks like more than 100 different candidates will be on the ballot this time around. And as only a plurality is required, someone could win with less than 1% of the popular vote.
They could, but that doesn't seem particularly likely. The only wrinkle is whether or not the Democrats choose to field a candidate or pin their hopes on Davis. Even if the Democrats splinter I don't see any reason why the Republicans would choose to follow suit. The Republicans will almost certainly run (e.g., endorse) a single candidate who will most likely get a large percentage of the vote, if not an outright majority. The only question is who that candidate will be.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 20:22   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
in further news, Larry Flynt has announced his candidacy for California Governor during the recall.

This is going to be extremely amusing to watch.

***dammit, I need to learn to spell...

Last edited by Sandsnake; 6 Aug 2003 at 20:32.
Sandsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 20:27   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
in further news, Larry Flynt has announced his candidacy for California Governer during the recall.

This is going to be extremely amusing to watch.
I'd vote for him twice before I'd let Issa get in.

PS: Huffington sounds officially 'in'

Last edited by acropolis; 6 Aug 2003 at 20:49.
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:17   #11
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
. . .
That does sound right.

Apologies for my anti-exageration.

np, I wasn't trying to be a pedant, I just wanted to point out that it was even easier to get on the ballot than what you had originally posted (which probably wouldn't have been too tough anyway)
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 22:30   #12
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Re: Re: Re: Re: Texas And California Competing For The 2003 Banana Republic Award

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Talon
np, I wasn't trying to be a pedant, I just wanted to point out that it was even easier to get on the ballot than what you had originally posted (which probably wouldn't have been too tough anyway)
I wasn't calling you a pedant, I was just noting that the standard thing to do was to exagerate the facts, not change them the wrong way by a couple orders of magnitude.

The scary part is that even adding two OofM it would still be way too easy.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 08:31   #13
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the UN should be called in to supervise elections in america, like they do in South Africa, as they can't be trusted on their own.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 11:14   #14
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
That's probably campaign costs dear.
mmm... guess I was wrong.

And don't call me dear