User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:50   #1
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
People who workout, do gym, exercises at home, or whatever is similar to it

whats the name of that exercise where there is a pole fixed horizontaly, high, and you grab it with your hands and you have to pull your body up until your chin is over said pole, then you let it down and there you go again?
well i just bought equipment to do this thingy, but i can only manage to do 5 at once.... i feel like i am never going to get any better since 5 is not enough exercise to get your muscles growing, or is it?
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:51   #2
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Chin-ups
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:51   #3
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
The best thing to do is eat, and get plenty of sleep.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:51   #4
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
a pull up / chin up
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:52   #5
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
i call them 'pull ups' and can do a fair few, i know a lad who can do them 1 handed though
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:52   #6
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
As far as i know, you should not be to worried.
Youre supposed to do 2/3 of the training pretty easy, to build up those muscle types endurance, and do 1/3 as hard as you can, or something. I read that somewhere, i think it was the letter you get from the army.
Oh, and just so you know, youre not supposed to train the same muscle types for more then three times a week.*

* My whole post migth be just piss, so take it whit a pinch of salt
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:52   #7
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hostile
i call them 'pull ups' and can do a fair few, i know a lad who can do them 1 handed though
fecking ace!
i am going to be this guy someday
anyways
how many can you guys do?
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:57   #8
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
I Run in the mornings around idealic setting that is Junction 2 of the M1.

Yoga*.
Push-ups*.
Sit-ups*.

* If i can be arsed. I.e. never really happens.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 20:58   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
how many can you guys do?
5 max. Not because I'm weak or unfit.

The heavier you are, the harder the muscles have to work. Despite the fact I can benchpress a lot (for example), I still can't do chinups. Same applies to running; I'm about 92kg and pretty fit, but an unfit thin person can run a lot further. Sit us on exercise bikes for a bleep test though, and I'd be the winner.

I probably didn't explain this as well as I'd like, but you know what I mean!

Anyway; if you're quite big anyway, 5 may actually be pretty good mate. Say you're 90kg and can do 5, somebody who's 60kg might do 10. Not much difference.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 21:01   #10
Muslim
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
5 max. Not because I'm weak or unfit.

The heavier you are, the harder the muscles have to work. Despite the fact I can benchpress a lot (for example), I still can't do chinups. Same applies to running; I'm about 92kg and pretty fit, but an unfit thin person can run a lot further. Sit us on exercise bikes for a bleep test though, and I'd be the winner.

I probably didn't explain this as well as I'd like, but you know what I mean!

Anyway; if you're quite big anyway, 5 may actually be pretty good mate. Say you're 90kg and can do 5, somebody who's 60kg might do 10. Not much difference.

M.
that cheered me up
i am 75kg and i can swim a lot, and im a lightning in my bike
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 22:06   #11
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Being bigger isn't really an excuse. When you are bigger, your muscles are going to be naturally bigger than a smaller persons. A smaller person with strong muscles will probably be the same as a big person with slack muscles.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 22:27   #12
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
i'm roughly 75kg and 6'2. i don't do chin-ups as part of my work out routine, but i was round at a mates house a while ago and managed 10-15 quite easily while mildly intoxicated. i do weight train frequently (more than once a week) though, as well as playing numerous other sports, for example, tennis, from the age of 4.
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 23:15   #13
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
God, you bunch of hunks!

All this male muscle talk is getting me geared up.

Okay, I have a question: Why does it hurt a lot in my torso when I run?

Awaiting your answer.

Matrim
Unread 1 Jul 2003, 23:32   #14
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
Pull-ups...

My Junior year of HS I could only do 4...

They suck anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 00:32   #15
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by huh
Being bigger isn't really an excuse.
Erm, of course it is.

Why can't a front rower (big rugby bloke) run as fast/far as a winger (thinner bloke, on the side)?

Because he's BIGGER. I play 2nd row (the one behind the fronts) and I can run faster/longer than the front row, even though one guy in particular is a lot fitter than me.

I'm right.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 00:36   #16
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by sword
The best thing to do is eat, and get plenty of sleep.
funny, but when you sleep metabolism speeds up. So on the contrary eating and sleeping a lot wont do much to your body, as the extra sleep will burn away the extra fat incurred from eating more

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:26   #17
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Sit us on exercise bikes for a bleep test though,

the hard part about bleep tests is the turning though :/

I have 12.2 (alrightish)

how about YOU? (the reader)
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:29   #18
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Monkehpimp
how about YOU? (the reader)
I've got into the 12s too, a few years ago mind, now I just tend to drop out second as to not look that bad.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:29   #19
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Get this months copy of Mens Health magazine, they show about 12 different variations on the standard push up, all designed to work different muscle sets.
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:33   #20
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
There's no such thing as a push up, it's a press up.
A chin up is called a pull up, too.

These faggots and their zany names.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:37   #21
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim

Awaiting your answer.
probably because you are not breathing properly, it depends on where you are breathing from. if you breathe from the ribs, this is less efficient than if you breathe by pulling the diaphragm down.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:53   #22
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
God, you bunch of hunks!

All this male muscle talk is getting me geared up.

Awaiting your answer.

Matrim
Because you're not breathing properly, or because your cardio-vascular system isn't used to working so hard. Don't worry, as you progress with exercise, it will take longer before it starts to hurt, and it won't hurt as much.

And as for your first question, being able to do 5 isn't bad, just start off slow, say doing 5, then do a number of reps.
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 11:59   #23
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
that cheered me up
i am 75kg and i can swim a lot, and im a lightning in my bike
Yeah, but you havent got laid yet. I have.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 12:19   #24
BarbieKen

I can do 3 intervalls with 20 chinups each. I weight 65kg.
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 12:28   #25
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by BarbieKen
I weight 65kg.

dude me toooh

sexy people have so much in common!
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 12:29   #26
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
Yeah, but you havent got laid yet. I have.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 13:00   #27
BarbieKen

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
dude me toooh

sexy people have so much in common!
This calls for a
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 13:17   #28
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Erm, of course it is.

Why can't a front rower (big rugby bloke) run as fast/far as a winger (thinner bloke, on the side)?

Because he's BIGGER. I play 2nd row (the one behind the fronts) and I can run faster/longer than the front row, even though one guy in particular is a lot fitter than me.

I'm right.

M.
I was talking about chin ups. Though for the fitness bit, American footballers or rugby players. They are huge guys, but are incredibly fast too.

As you get bigger, so do your muscles even if you don't do any work. If they didn't, your legs wouldn't be able to support you. The reason you can't do chinups is because you havent worked out all of the muscles in your arms I suspect.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 14:16   #29
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
I can only do 3 or so :/ However im confident that I could easily double that amount in two weeks or so.
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 15:48   #30
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
There's no such thing as a push up, it's a press up.
A chin up is called a pull up, too.

These faggots and their zany names.
I always thought chin ups/pull ups were different dependig un which way your hands are turned...