User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Jun 2003, 14:33   #1
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
Weight lifting

I've recently taken it up.

Well, by recently, I mean yesterday.

I've been using a garden ornament weighing two pounds. I did two hundred and twenty movements on my right arm and two hundred on my left arm yesterday.

Today, I did six hundred on my right arm and six hundred on my left arm.

Since it made me sweat, but wasn't particularly difficult (until the last fifty), I figure I'll be aiming for about this many everyday.

Given that I've never weight lifted before, and I'm a fat bastard (around 6'2" high, weighing 250 pounds approximately, with most of the excess body fat on my stomach, chest and thighs), how long do you think it'll be before I start seeing a noticeable difference in my level of fitness?

For the purpose of this thread, assume that I just eat normally (enough calories to sustain my metabolism, without going over the recommended amount).
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 14:46   #2
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Weight lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by Chojin

I've been using a garden ornament weighing two pounds. I did two hundred and twenty movements on my right arm and two hundred on my left arm yesterday.

Since it made me sweat, but wasn't particularly difficult (until the last fifty), I figure I'll be aiming for about this many everyday.

Given that I've never weight lifted before, and I'm a fat bastard (around 6'2" high, weighing 250 pounds approximately, with most of the excess body fat on my stomach, chest and thighs), how long do you think it'll be before I start seeing a noticeable difference in my level of fitness?

For the purpose of this thread, assume that I just eat normally (enough calories to sustain my metabolism, without going over the recommended amount).
Are you lifting (A)to put on muscle, (B)to build muscle endurance,

or (C)to get your body into shape?

If A it doesn't sound like you are succeeding to do anything,
If B you'll notice the results within the week,
IF C it will take eternity +/- two years.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 14:52   #3
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Weight lifting

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
Are you lifting (A)to put on muscle, (B)to build muscle endurance,

or (C)to get your body into shape?

If A it doesn't sound like you are succeeding to do anything,
If B you'll notice the results within the week,
IF C it will take eternity +/- two years.
It's all three, really.

Explain A and C to me, please
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 14:53   #4
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
2 pounds!!!, you'll grow bored after a week. If you (i assume) want to lose weight and get into shape you really need to take up some running/rowing/cycling etc as well (not run the marathon after a week obviously, if you cant run for long start jogging for 2 mins then walking for 2 mins etc for about 30 mins a day, week by week increase the time spent running and reduce time spent walking). And cut down on the calories you eat at the same time. But either way id strongly suggest you get some proper weights.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:04   #5
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
go swimming. it's pretty much good for your whole body. Also a very low likelihood of injury.
you need aerobic exercise to get yourself into shape. It will take a while but at least climbing the stairs will be easier in a couple of weeks...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:04   #6
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
a) in order to beable to lift heavy things, you must lift heavy things, not just light things several times

c) if you want to get your body in shape you need to do cardio exercises
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:06   #7
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt
2 pounds!!!, you'll grow bored after a week. If you (i assume) want to lose weight and get into shape you really need to take up some running/rowing/cycling etc as well (not run the marathon after a week obviously, if you cant run for long start jogging for 2 mins then walking for 2 mins etc for about 30 mins a day, week by week increase the time spent running and reduce time spent walking). And cut down on the calories you eat at the same time. But either way id strongly suggest you get some proper weights.
Two pounds seemed heavy enough to begin with

At the moment, along with engaging in muscle building activities with a frog made of stone, I'm also spending twenty five to thirty minutes a day on a ski machine (which I've been doing for the last week or so).

According to the Activity Calorie Counter, that means I'm losing around two thousand calories a day.

I go walking every second or third day for thirty minutes, which would bring that up to two thousand, three hundred and fifty.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:11   #8
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
go swimming. it's pretty much good for your whole body. Also a very low likelihood of injury.
I was thinking about going swimming.

But I was also thinking about people seeing the pasty blob of flesh that is my body.

I realize there's classes for those who want to lose weight, but I'd still be too conscientious to go to them.

Quote:
you need aerobic exercise to get yourself into shape. It will take a while but at least climbing the stairs will be easier in a couple of weeks...
Maybe I could try walking up and down the stairs, oh I don't know, say twenty times?
I know it doesn't sound much, but for someone as unfit as me, it is
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:15   #9
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
ah yes the ski machine a personal favourite of mine when i first took up running it helped me build up my fitness levels since i initially suffered from shin splints from running

if you've just taken up trying to lose weight you wont notice any difference for 1 - 2 months, your body tries to save all the fat if you suddenly start excersiing (damn you evolution). So carry on like this for at least 2 months, after that you should notice the weight start to drop week by week. If you get bored of skiing after a month, take up the rowing machine, basically keep changing, else you'll get bored. Another thing to remember is that you cant spot reduce fat around the body. Try and get a second hand set of weights and start bench presses, they're great as you can really take your aggression out.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:16   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
It's all three, really.

Explain A and C to me, please
I'll go with C first.

Lifting a two pound weight repeatedly isn't a cardiovascular exercise (like running or cross-country skiing), so your 'fitness' in the classic sense will be unaffected. in the modern sense (i.e., fit = not fat anymore), lifting your weight won't burn nearly enough calories to trim you down at all.

A has to do with muscle bulk. To build muscle bulk, you actually have to destroy your muscle tissue. This requires straining your muscles to capacity, which will probably take more than two pounds (30-50 lbs would be reasonable).

A couple points here too: if you had really had a good muscle-bulk workout, especially noting you claimed you just started lifting, you would have been incredibly sore on day two. The fact that you then proceeded to do 600 reps precludes that possibility.

Second to last, I have good news: for a person in your situation, I would recommend against lifting for muscle bulk anyway. It doesn't make you any fitter, the muscles only look cool if you have llittle body fat, and when you get tired of your program the muscle turns into ugly looking fat (mantits are often created by people that quit benching).

If you actually do want to lift for bulk anyway, I could give some pointers. But as it is, I have a couple recommendations.
1. Don't just do the same motion again and again. The best thing about a light free weight is that you can move it all over the place, and work dozens of muscle groups easily.
2. Jog.
3. Eat less than what you consider the 'minimum'

On a whim I cut weight from 215 to 180 last fall, it's not as difficult as people make it sound if you're really serious.

[edit]it looks like most of what I said here was said by other peeps. but my editorials are more thorough (= long). And it sounds like you are getting the CV. So just one other thing.

Quitting is for bitches.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:19   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I was thinking about going swimming.

But I was also thinking about people seeing the pasty blob of flesh that is my body.

I realize there's classes for those who want to lose weight, but I'd still be too conscientious to go to them.

Maybe I could try walking up and down the stairs, oh I don't know, say twenty times?
I know it doesn't sound much, but for someone as unfit as me, it is
Anything that gets your heart pumping is good.
Climbing the stairs is actually really good for you, just keep going up and down the first two steps.
cycling, jogging, swimming - the best things you can do to lose weight. Nothing too instantly tiring.

Using wieghts just burns off carbohydrate, you need to do long periods of exercise to burn off fat.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 15:24   #12
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

I love you guys
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:08   #13
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
A few weeks ago I started 100 press-ups a night, I've now gone up to 150 a night... Proper chin to floor jobbies, my once puny arms are growing by the day. I can literally see the difference in the morning. I look well 'ard now innit...
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:15   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

many reps with a low weight is for toning, not building. Increase the weight and drop the reps or you wont get anywhere.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:19   #15
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Lifting weights won't shed the lard easily, for that, cardio is better suited.
Lifting heavy weights with fewer reps is diffeferent to light weights with more reps.
It depends what you want to tone or bulk muscles.

Also the movement of your arm as you exercise is very important, as to avoid injury.
Lifting with proper weights will reduce the risk as you can hold them properly, just lifting a 2Kg lump of cement will not allow you to do this.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:24   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
Lifting weights won't shed the lard
This is completely wrong, weight lifting is one of the best ways to lose weight. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn during normal excercise, plus regular weight lifting boosts your metabolism and shit.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:25   #17
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Being a formally fat bastard, with just a few more pounds to lose, I know where you're coming from.

First off, cut down on your calorie intake, when I was dieting I cut mine back under 1000 a day, sometimes closer to 500, the result was fast weight loss, 3 stone in about 3 or 4 months. Then I started swimming, excercising, doing some moderate weight training to build muscle, this has helped with body tone.

I'm now 12 months into my fitness kick, I'm 4 and a half stone lighter than when I started, I look good, I feel good, I've just got another half a stone, and a ****load of situps to do and I'm there.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:26   #18
Woof
Banned

Some useful sites.

See how many calories are in the food you eat:
http://www.caloriecounting.co.uk/

Track your training progress:
http://www.mysporttraining.com/

Track your training progress online free:
http://www.fitday.com

A good forum for some good advice and tips:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:26   #19
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
This is completely wrong, weight lifting is one of the best ways to lose weight. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn during normal excercise, plus regular weight lifting boosts your metabolism and shit.
Complete, bollocks.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:27   #20
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Rids
Being a formally fat bastard, with just a few more pounds to lose, I know where you're coming from.

First off, cut down on your calorie intake, when I was dieting I cut mine back under 1000 a day, sometimes closer to 500, the result was fast weight loss, 3 stone in about 3 or 4 months. Then I started swimming, excercising, doing some moderate weight training to build muscle, this has helped with body tone.

I'm now 12 months into my fitness kick, I'm 4 and a half stone lighter than when I started, I look good, I feel good, I've just got another half a stone, and a ****load of situps to do and I'm there.
How much did you weigh out of interest?
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:28   #21
Rids
The Bad Guy

Quote:
How much did you weigh out of interest?
15 stone
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:29   #22
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Rids
Complete, bollocks.
http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...uilding16.html
http://www.naturalchoice.net/articles/weightloss.htm
http://www.benefit-physical-fitness.com/weightloss.html
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:33   #23
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Umm when you gain a pound of muscle, you've gained a pound,

which is kinder the opposite of 'losing weight'.

But I think I know what you meant.

In terms of eating, cut meat/soda pop (and bvasically all beverages but water)/donuts/other desert type stuff.

Plan on losing about two pounds a week if you stick to the plan, 1 pound/week if you stick to it six days a week, and breaking even if you take two days off (that's the harsh part).

The first couple weeks you might lose 3-5 pounds a week, but don't be surprised if the scale doesn't say so (due to your body's weight range)
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:33   #24
Woof
Banned

Quote:
True. Lean muscle is better for your metabolism, and as a result you will burn more calories.
A combination of cardio with weights is better for all round fitness, and will achieve results faster than just relying on weights.
Cardio will also improve your fitness and stamina quickers too.
Both should be done in combination, rather than isloation.

It should also be done with a lifestyle change in mind too.
Little point going to the gym and exercising if you have KFC for dinner and BK for Tea.
Cut the crap out of your diet too.

Also remeber Muscle weighs more than fat.
So don't always look for weight loss as a factor of improved fitness.
As you exercise you will tone your body, and you may not see the same degree of weight loss as you did in the early weeks.
Get your body fat levels checked so you can see the improvements too.

Last edited by Woof; 21 Jun 2003 at 18:40.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:41   #25
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
go to the gym and use the cardio stuff. Walking at about 4 k/ph for 20 minutes plus some about the same on the bikes and rowing machine. Do it 2 or 3 times a week you'll probably have a noticable difference after a couple of months (you'll notice you've lost weight on the scales after a week or 2). Throw in some weight training and it'll make a big difference.

**** 2lb lawn ornaments.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 19:14   #26
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
a good workout is not 600 reps, it's 25 slow reps, afterwhich you arms should feel achey.

and ****ing 2lbs?
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 21:41   #27
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
You dont honestly expect to do anything to your arms with 2lb weights do you?

Most dumbells I use range between 20-40lbs, reps between 30-50.

Seriously, if you expect any real results, try something a tad heavier.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 21:52   #28
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

I didn't deliberately choose a two pound weight. I just picked up the heaviest item I could find which felt as though it would have some effect without much risk of injury (considering I'd never done it before). But, erm, if you think that's not enough, I'll move onto something heavier.

Incidentally, I didn't expect you guys to be so informative and helpful. Thanks, a lot
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 21:58   #29
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

I've been a stupid arse. Rather, it's four pounds, not two pounds. But even so, given your responses so far, that's still not enough.
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 21:59   #30
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i ski and before i alsways go its mega leg muscle building time really, as well as cardiovascular, ive lost a lot of weight over the last year, about 4 stone. Best thing is to jog for half an hour every morning and every evening and start push up pressups etc, and in my case the leg presses they hurt after 10 mins, i do it for thirty twice a week for two months before i go away (weight pressing is 30 KG usually)
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 22:12   #31
Nusselt
share the <3

cant be dood i bench press 30kg
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 22:14   #32
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

two lots, one lying on back lifting up
other on front lifting back

30 mins of each usually
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 22:28   #33
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
you're talking about bench pressing, not leg pressing
oh, well thats

whats your thing, i might want to try it
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 00:11   #34
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts

Quote:

lifting a garden ornament will not make you fit
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 12:35   #35
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough
Quote:
30kg on leg pressings?

please tell me we're talking about different exercices

I usually do 3x15 of 80-100kg
Prolly are.
I don't think he is talking about "Leg press(?)" at all. If this is called "Leg press", you sit and push weights with your feet in an 90° or 45° angle. I myself love the "leg press" with an 45° angle. I usually do it with 250 Kg.
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 14:51   #36
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
2 pounds? you bed wetting pansy

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 19:46   #37
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Two pounds seemed heavy enough to begin with

At the moment, along with engaging in muscle building activities with a frog made of stone, I'm also spending twenty five to thirty minutes a day on a ski machine (which I've been doing for the last week or so).

According to the Activity Calorie Counter, that means I'm losing around two thousand calories a day.

I go walking every second or third day for thirty minutes, which would bring that up to two thousand, three hundred and fifty.
Walking = pointless. It doesn't do anything. Jog.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

If you do weights, do them every other day so your muscles can heal.

Would make more sense to do pushups + situps.
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 19:48   #38
Nusselt
share the <3

Quote:
Originally posted by huh
Walking = pointless

no its not
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 20:01   #39
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
'Pointless' as in 'It doesn't really help you physically at all'
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 20:09   #40
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by huh
Surely that depends on your fitness level?
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 20:16   #41
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by huh
actually you're wrong

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 21:53   #42
Rids
The Bad Guy

I walk 5 miles a day, 5 days a week, coupled with a job that involves at least 8 hours a day of standing up, I believe that with very little other excercise, I'm probably in better physical shape than most of you.

Walking isnt pointless, it wont turn you into a muscled freak, but its good light cardio that can help burn calories at a decent rate.
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 21:55   #43
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

I can't do push ups
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 22:01   #44
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Quote:
neither could I

put a pillow under your knees, do them while supporting your body on your knees and not on your feet

do 3 reps of 25/30/50/whatever every morning/evening, and u'll be doing normal push ups in less than a week.
Support my body on my knees instead of my toes, you mean?

I've done this in the past. It feels far too easy doing it on your knees to have much effect...
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 22:04   #45
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Quote:
if you cant do on your toes, do on your knees

if its too easy, do 50, then rest 1 min, then 50, rest 1 min, then 50 again

do that everyday

ull be able to do proper ones in a week
Thank you, muchly
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 23:46   #46
Umbrall
Renaissance Person

Umbrall is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to reiterate, if you want to lose fat, it is far, far more effective to cut your eating than to rely on excercise.
I would advice against dropping your food intake below 1000 kcals per day though. More if you're very tall. You need that much for maintaining your brain and vital organs.

Your best kind of available excercise to lose weight is walking. Long walks at just the rate needed to kep you slightly short of breath. Also, swimming and cross-country skiing are excellent, but not as easily availble.

Stagger your food intake a bit. If you just eat a set amount each day, your body will slip into 'starvation gear' where is saves calories on everything. That makes it harder for you.

In your situation, I would concentrate on losing weight first, then later build muscle. Both because it is quite hard to both lose significant amounts of fat while building muscle tissue (one requires you to expend more energy than you replace, the other plenty of available energy for construction) and for motivation.

If you have excess amounts of bodyfat, you can build quite a bit of muscle under it, without it showing up visibly. That is bad for motivation.

If you slim first, then build muscle, you will be able to see results from month to month over the entire program. That makes it much easier to stick with it.

Oh, observe that a times there will be a week or two when you do not see any change. This will be due to readjustments in your bodys water balance. If you can stay the course through them, you will see results once you push through.

-Li Quan, commentaries upon Sun Tzu, ca 900 AD.
Umbrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:00   #47
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the best way to build muscle, in order to both lift heavier weights and to look fab?

What I've been doing is 3 sets of 10 reps of the heaviest weight I can do for the exercise.

Would it be better to do 3 sets of 5 reps of an even heavier weight?

Or 3 reps of a mother ****ing OMG OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGG HES HAD A RECTAL PROLAPSE heavy weight?

or what?

I can afford to spend around 3 hours in the gym a day (and do) so what should I do? I need to get big **** off deltoids asap!
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:02   #48
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
'I'm told' that 3 sets of 6-8 reps is 'the way' to get things done, with the stipulation that if you're able to do any more than 8 reps on your third set the weight is too light.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:02   #49
Umbrall
Renaissance Person

It is something of an oversimplification. You burn fat as long as you do not break the fatigue barrier. That is when your body swiches fueltanks from fat to more energyrich fuels, such as stored sugars, etc.

This is why jogging is highly inferior to walking as a fat-loss excercise.

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 00:21   #50
Umbrall
Renaissance Person

Its been a while since I read up on this. So feel free to check this with your GP.

During your everyday life, your body gets the energy for all your little tasks from your fat stores. However, when you perform a more energy-intensive task, it swiches to its emergency energy stores. These are in the form of more easily metabolized sugars, which are also more energy intensive.

The changeover is known as 'breaking the fatigue barrier' or 'getting your second wind' After a little while of very hard work, you get really tired, then, if you keep it up, your breathing stabilizes and you feel like you can keep going for a while longer. that is when you stop burning fat.

Observe that most of the benefit to your cardiovascular system takes place after you swich over, though.

Modern eating habits mess with this a bit. The system was designed for an environment where sugar was rare. eating a high-sugar food can get you an elevated bloodsugar level fairly quickly.