User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Apr 2004, 10:33   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Fallout 3

Looks like there's still hope!

So, you looking forward to it? I'm not too sure. Fallout 2 is by far my favourite RPG, but after all the fits and starts, changes in developers, etc.. it's hard to think that Fallout 3 will be any good.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 11:04   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Fallout 3

When originally playing them I think I preferred Fallout 1 tbh. Fallout 2 was the game I've anticipated more than any other I think. I remember playing it at the ECTS and submitting my views to a fan-site. I was so proud.

Anyway, the thing that's best about Fallout (for me) is the universe design, the characters, weapon styles, etc. If they can remain true to that I'll still be hopeful. I'm not massively worried about the style of game play they adopt.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 11:25   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I've played Fallout 2 which I gave as a present to my (ex)girlfriend. The starters dungeon wasn't really spectacular or groundbreaking (didn't play further). Is there any point I still should get myself a copy? as I hear great things from this game.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 11:42   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, you definitely should (it's out on budget now).

The beginning bit is pretty dull (comparatively) but once you get going it's great fun. Once you have guns + NPCs is mainly when it get's going.

The main strength is the off-the-wall humour (at times), tremendous depth to the game (the dialogue options for even some minor characters are impressive) and the freedom you have. If you like the wandering around freedom of other games, you'll love it.

Probably the best RPG ever.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 11:53   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Torment is better.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 11:57   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Never played it.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 12:08   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's your problem, not mine!
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 12:10   #8
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Being a slaver is the best profession in the world! (also handy when you're at a low lvl).

It's number 2 after FF7 tho
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 20:17   #9
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fallout and Fallout2 are legendary games. Torment is magnificent. Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 , and its expansions , were excellent and fun to play , and Icewind Dale 1 & 2 entertained me for weeks on end.

Any news on what Obsidian Studios are doing RPG-wise?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 12:10   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

God damn these people!:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...s_6100019.html

I guess it's all over now
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 12:14   #11
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

baldurs gate bores the hell out of me.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 12:38   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I've been playing Fallout2 for a couple of hours, can't say I didn't get bored after a while , will give it another shot as soon as I am done with Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. Also still have Planescape Torment laying barely untouched next to my keyboard.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 17:24   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
God damn these people!:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...s_6100019.html

I guess it's all over now
The writing's been on the wall for interplay for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
baldurs gate bores the hell out of me.
That's you fault, not its.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 18:02   #14
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

Diablo 1 is by far the best of the best.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 18:08   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
Diablo 1 is by far the best of the best.
Diablo 1 is hardly even an RPG.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 18:39   #16
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Let's look at diablo 1.

You role play as a wizard/rogue/warrior through a series of dungeons while completing quests for npc's you interact with to gain items and access to more storyline.

seems very rpg to me.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 18:41   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
seems very rpg to me.
Not in the style of Fallout, which is what the thread's about. Fallout isn't a click-click-click-hordes of monsters to kill game, such as Everquest, or every other MMORPG except maybe WoW.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 18:59   #18
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

ohh diablo 1 was directed to your comment in which you say Torment is the best, and iirc Torment is similiar to Diablo.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 19:06   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
ohh diablo 1 was directed to your comment in which you say Torment is the best, and iirc Torment is similiar to Diablo.
Torment is a dialogue driven RPG where you build not only what your character can do but also who he is throughout the game.

In Diablo, you kill stuff.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 20:25   #20
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Torment is a dialogue driven RPG where you build not only what your character can do but also who he is throughout the game.

In Diablo, you kill stuff.
In diablo a lot of what you kill and accquire is driven by npc interaction.

RPG's are still rpg's stop trying to segregate them into pathetic niche's

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 7 Jun 2004, 20:38   #21
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

There's hack 'n slash RPGs (Diablo I (and II probably), which I still find very good, but it's more hack than story... But still, Tristram(.mp3) rocks).

And there's more... Story-driven RPGs, such as Torment. Torment rocks. ROCKS HARD. In Torment it's more about finding out about yourself and the world... Then about killing stuff.

I think.
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 22:05   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
In diablo a lot of what you kill and accquire is driven by npc interaction.
'Random item drops' are how you get stuff though, so the game is driven by killing more and more things to get better and better items, unlike in the Bioware/Black Isle kind of game, where the drops are specified at all points, so you kill specific rather than more enemies (for instance, you know when you kill Yaga-Shura you WILL get Shuruppak's Plate, whereas no matter how many times you kill Mephisto (ok, that's DII, but the point remains valid) you won't know what you'll get; there are a couple of exceptions (That life stealy crown the undead whathisname drops) but that's the general principle through the diablo series, and random items are almost certainly better than specific drops)
Unread 7 Jun 2004, 22:23   #23
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
'Random item drops' are how you get stuff though, so the game is driven by killing more and more things to get better and better items, unlike in the Bioware/Black Isle kind of game, where the drops are specified at all points, so you kill specific rather than more enemies (for instance, you know when you kill Yaga-Shura you WILL get Shuruppak's Plate, whereas no matter how many times you kill Mephisto (ok, that's DII, but the point remains valid) you won't know what you'll get; there are a couple of exceptions (That life stealy crown the undead whathisname drops) but that's the general principle through the diablo series, and random items are almost certainly better than specific drops)
Welcome to problems in the rpg game genre.

If everybody looked the same.....

Games that gravitate towards more multiplaying RPG can't really survive with this set drop plan really, though honestly they need to find the right blend given that all RPG's derive from D&D and we all know that from D&D if you roll a natural 1 on your search you may not find any good gear, and if you roll a natural 20 you might find something amazing.

Depends how puritan you REALLY are with regards to rpg'ing but apparrently WoW doesn't borrow the old random drop item system from other mmorpg's.

Anyways, you can't exactly devalue the name of an rpg purely over peripheral things to the genre.

You'll find if you divulge some time to researching on the internet that their are Diablo Roleplaying groups, those that roleplay as the game engine allows them (which is inevitably the genius of roleplay), they roleplay using items you find etc or using only certain equip etc etc etc.

Roleplaying is as much in the possession of how the user uses the tools(software) than the other way round.

I know a lot of people who Roleplay on mmorpg's and if a game provides the ability to roleplay within it then it's very much an RPG.

Unread 7 Jun 2004, 22:32   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The point was that it's not really 'Role Playing', as you're not doing things that the character would do, you're not playing the role of the character, as you would be in the Infinity engined stuff.

Furthermore, artificial restrictions don't really change the game per se. You can play mario 3 with a blindfold on, but that doesn't make mario 3 inherently harder, as you are suggesting.
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 03:31   #25
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

nethack is better than all anyway.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 8 Jun 2004, 04:53   #26
Evergreen
the merciless

lol'z you sound like nodrog now.

Unread 11 Jun 2004, 12:36   #27
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

We have signs of life!

Let's hope they stay around long enough to release this damned game.
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 12:38   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Let's hope they stay around long enough to release this damned game.
No chance. They owe about 2 or 3 times what they have.

[edit]

Anyway, Urquhart et al don't work there any more.
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 14:01   #29
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Urquhart et al don't work there any more.
It doesn't bother me who works there since they've already said that the development of the game will be farmed out, what bothers me is that if Interplay go kaput so will the Fallout license.
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 17:28   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
what bothers me is that if Interplay go kaput so will the Fallout license.
Why? The selling of IP is generally one of the first things to happen when a company is dying (for instance, Volition said they were going to try to grab the rights to Freespace)