User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 22 Apr 2009, 18:41   #1
blueemu

blueemu has a spectacular aura aboutblueemu has a spectacular aura about
Planetarion redesign update

Hi everyone

First off Id like to put my hand up and admit I'm the guy responsible for the last skin, and unfortunately cant blame any controlled substances for its creation.

Ill admit the design that went up wasn't up to scratch and id like get much more community input in the current redesign.

I've been given much more time to work on the new design and I'll keep you posted on developments and try to incorporate any ideas you guys have.

cheers

Nick

Last edited by Lunar_Lamp; 22 Apr 2009 at 19:12.
blueemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2009, 19:14   #2
Baba

Baba is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Planetarion redesign update

Surely you have seen the other post about this?
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2009, 19:41   #3
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

i'd reccomend sitting down with mrlobster
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2009, 19:42   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Or get a degree in drawing? no seriously. I like the outlook, just the graphics is a bit shitty. Read the complaints thread and take it to heart.
Unread 22 Apr 2009, 20:08   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
Or get a degree in drawing? no seriously. I like the outlook, just the graphics is a bit shitty. Read the complaints thread and take it to heart.
You mean don't take it to heart . It takes a while to get used to the 'sandblaster' style of constructive criticism that is the PA forum community.
Unread 22 Apr 2009, 20:40   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Nick,

I'm not sure what your design background is - but I think the issue is we probably need input from people with a very diverse background.

I find it unlikely that one person is going to be an expert on:
-structuring sites to make information easily accessible
-laying out a site to make it easy to use
-styling a site to make it look interesting
-creating snazzy graphics to give the wow factor

many people have said the new portal layout it easier to use and more accessible - so you get some marks for point 2, some have even said they like the style so you get a little bit of point 3.

Point 1 requires complete redesigns of game/portal

So this leaves point 4. So my question is do you or fuibra have the capability to create exciting, attention grabbing imagery. Looking at all of the sites within the fubra portfolio I would suggest not. If this is the case there is no harm in admitting it and we can look to the community to support you in thoose aspects.

Please don't take this post as a moan - I merely want to find out what capabilities we have avaialble to produce a new portal/ingame skin and what gaps will need filling.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 01:28   #7
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I think looking at Sci-Fi games wouldn't hurt to find inspiration. Also defining the style you want to create
- Dark mood like Blade Runner
- Star Wars epic style
- Flash Gordon kitch
- Dune...
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 11:46   #8
blueemu

I've read through the last post and I have taken on board a lot of the criticism for the last design. I really think it will be helpful to keep everyone posted with how the new design is coming along and get feedback.

Creating imagery for the site has been time consuming so it would be great if anyone has any graphics they are willing to let us use.

I've set up a blog so everyone can keep track of the new design and give input.

http://plndesign.blogspot.com
(sorry not allowed to link yet )

thanks for your patience

Edited by Appoco: linkage

Last edited by Appocomaster; 23 Apr 2009 at 20:03.
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 11:55   #9
blueemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
I think looking at Sci-Fi games wouldn't hurt to find inspiration. Also defining the style you want to create
- Dark mood like Blade Runner
- Star Wars epic style
- Flash Gordon kitch
- Dune...
I've been look at a few games for inspiration, EVE online and pirate galaxy have fantastic designs and have managed to flesh out the games universe with back stories to all the races and cool artwork.
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 12:38   #10
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Feels like a bit more effort has gone into the updated versions. They're not perfect (PlanetRION?!), still abusing single colours, etc - but it's a step in the right direction.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 12:47   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueemu View Post
I've read through the last post and I have taken on board a lot of the criticism for the last design. I really think it will be helpful to keep everyone posted with how the new design is coming along and get feedback.

Creating imagery for the site has been time consuming so it would be great if anyone has any graphics they are willing to let us use.

plndesign.blogspot.com

thanks for your patience
I like the new things, a few comments:
-I liek the new colours and overall layout
-login pages - the characheters are a good idea, it would be worh trying to get hold of some of the original race images and have a look at some of the logo work in a recent thread on the suggestions forums
-your icons, space ships, chrachetrs etc. all seem a little lacking in contrast - I don't look at them and say wow
-Planetarion logo - I still prefer the old one before your first redesign - in fact I personally prefer the overall styling of thatm though your designs give greater clarity and readability

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 23 Apr 2009, 12:54   #12
blueemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Feels like a bit more effort has gone into the updated versions. They're not perfect (PlanetRION?!), still abusing single colours, etc - but it's a step in the right direction.
Dough just noticed that :S

Thanks I'm a lot happier with how this design is going, I was thinking of reigning the colour scheme in a little bit to avoid some of the problems the site has had in the past.

I want to get more imagery in the background especially for the header, hopefully that should address the colour issue and make the page more interesting.
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 13:17   #13
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueemu View Post

plndesign.blogspot.com

thanks for your patience
A step in the right way, though still room for improvement.
1) The logo: it's just not working for me (and judging from some other posts i'm not alone)
2) I love the idea of the characters and they're great but they just feel a bit too kiddy for me, kinda like it's walt disney's planetarion. Love the idea though and combined with a good backstory about the races it will be awesome.
4) The ship is a better try than the original one but, as Kal said, doesn't make me go "wow"
5) Personally I think the blue planet is a bit simple, could use with some more texture and more stuff going on to give it more depth.
6) Overal design of content & menu's: agree with Greaper that the same color is being used too much, try and switch it up and find colors that work good together, more / less transparancy, ...

I hope I don't sound too harsh with my criticism, personally I'm very glad some people that actually seem to care (pete & you) are trying to improve the game

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 13:22   #14
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Just so you can see some old "fan art" kind of thing, a quick search on google should provide you with quite a few things as well.
http://www.andreasnehls.com/3dgallery/pa.htm
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 13:34   #15
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

A big step in the right direction indeed.
I'd get rid of the characters though because it's misleading. People might think they will incarnate a character in a role playing game.
An exploding ship or an asteroid belt would do it.
I wouldn't spend time trying to design a ship either, let people use their imagination rather than imposing a ship they might not like.
You could focus on illustrating the concepts of Eonium, Crystal and Metal, create icons for each type of government, or even small icons to place next to population settings (mines, construction...).

You're on the right track, not arrived yet but running in the good direction
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 13:36   #16
Makhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Just so you can see some old "fan art" kind of thing, a quick search on google should provide you with quite a few things as well.
wow
Unread 23 Apr 2009, 14:17   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
wow
agreed!

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 10:59   #18
Makhil

Plz I beg you, drop the idea of these pre-teenage Manga characters. They don't reflect the reality of the game, nor its spirit, nor its history.
PA is about planets, roids, fleets and war and being drunk.
PA is KY Jelly, not Jell-O

Last edited by Makhil; 24 Apr 2009 at 11:04.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 11:05   #19
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Plz I beg you, drop the idea of these pre-teenage Manga characters. They don't reflect the reality of the game, nor its spirit, nor its history.
PA is about planets, roids, fleets and war and being drunk.
Indeed, we care about ships, not about the pilots, otherwise we wouldn't crash so much. If you follow the route of cheesy characters in rubbish poses holding guns etc then you may as well give it a rubbish theme tune and stick it on tv...maybe we'll even get our own pencil cases and action figures!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 11:47   #20
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Its alot better than the original design, so thanks for taking the time to redesign it

As far as it goes, remember that Planetarion is a dark and hostile universe with its memberbase as older teenagers/adults (at a guess?) and the graphics should try and reflect that.

Note: You cannot please everyone, so dont try to.. Just take critism on board and i'd suggest discussing with Appocomaster what he feels as well.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 12:46   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy View Post
Indeed, we care about ships, not about the pilots, otherwise we wouldn't crash so much. If you follow the route of cheesy characters in rubbish poses holding guns etc then you may as well give it a rubbish theme tune and stick it on tv...maybe we'll even get our own pencil cases and action figures!
"We" is correct. Hopefully "we" aren't the people they're trying to interest in the game, because there aren't enough of us.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 13:00   #22
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about

Actually, there obviously is a reason that you guys play the game and enjoy it so much.

If I want to attract more players, I want to attract people similar to you guys.
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 13:23   #23
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post
Actually, there obviously is a reason that you guys play the game and enjoy it so much.

If I want to attract more players, I want to attract people similar to you guys.
No, you really don't want to attract players like us (I hope so at least). The market formed by us is way too small to provide a sustainable business - why else would Fifth Season have gone out of business and Jolt / OMAC sold the game? You need to create a game where everything fits together so that potential customers get caught by the atmosphere it creates and then kept by providing interesting game mechanics.
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 13:29   #24
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post

The only similarity we have is that we've played this game long enough to play it well, or are too addicted to leave. But if i saw this game now i doubt i'd give it much of a second glance. I'm only here because i've always been here. You need to market the game to the next generation of gamers.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 14:49   #25
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

i like the new design very much
yet i still have some critics

i think the latest logo works better, with the background image melting into it, however there is still a mousedrawn cracknel in it (in the red part), like you had to sneeze while using MS Paint
maybe you can fix that, and then i´d say it will work
[i am talking about the "Current Redesign Progress" page, where you have those nebular background thingy in the top, the plain black&stars background doesnt work for me]

the blue planet is a step into the right direction, cause 1) PA is about Planets and 2) its an eyecatcher on the portal page - the blue may be a bit too ..., i am lacking the words, too fictionary !? i mean a planet where a race could live on most likely will look totally diffrent, then just plain blue.

i like the characters, they are catchy. and in the text box below you allready explain that PA is a game about developing a planet, so i dont agree with the others that this will cause any problems and make ppl think its a rpg.
i can even imagine the future, where you click the news and your races character walks into the szene telling "we succesfully captured 187 new asteroids sir, see the battle report on your screen for details", and walks away again

the designed battlecruiser is a good start, but it still looks like a draw on paper and not a real spaceship in combat

design of the new pages is awesome if you ask me

keep up the good work

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"

Last edited by M0RPH3US; 24 Apr 2009 at 14:54.
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 14:56   #26
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
i can even imagine the future, where you click the news and your races character walks into the szene telling "we succesfully captured 187 new asteroids sir, see the battle report on your screen for details", and walks away again
This just seems stupid to me...you're going to look at the brep anyway...why would you need some anime character telling you to do something you're already going to do, this also reduces the playability of the game as plugins are required.

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 15:50   #27
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

would it be possible to try the R23 planetarion logo in place of the current one?

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:01   #28
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
This just seems stupid to me...you're going to look at the brep anyway...why would you need some anime character telling you to do something you're already going to do, this also reduces the playability of the game as plugins are required.
i agree that its absoulutely not needed for the game itself
i agree about the playability

but :
you could turn it on/off on preferences
it would add some funny moments to the game (just imagine the diffrent races voices)
its just a vision and nothing i said would be needed
let me dream fs

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:04   #29
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

On a totally unrelated site note I have to say: the redesign blog is brilliant! That's something that PA Team could / should use to keep people informed. Incorporate it into the portal somehow and things will rock.
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:06   #30
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
i agree that its absoulutely not needed for the game itself
i agree about the playability

but :
you could turn it on/off on preferences
it would add some funny moments to the game (just imagine the diffrent races voices)
its just a vision and nothing i said would be needed
let me dream fs
dont get me wrong..i'm not saying "thats shit never mention it again" I'm saying "thats not for me" but the voices might be doable like an online satnav telling you you've got uber incs.

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:17   #31
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
dont get me wrong..i'm not saying "thats shit never mention it again" I'm saying "thats not for me" but the voices might be doable like an online satnav telling you you've got uber incs.
hehe no offence taken, but yes that character could walk in more often after loggin in "where have you been sir, we got heavy incomings eta3" DD

however thats all just gimmick

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:40   #32
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Thank you for making this thread, great idea.
I like the look of the redesign, the only criticism I have is (as others have pointed out) the cartoon drawings. I think it'd be cool to have either a drawing of an "average" member of each race standing straight, just to give people an idea of what they're supposed to look like, or a picture of a ruler of each race (sitting on a throne/whatever) to show the role of the player. Maybe even a picture of a pilot in a ship, not necessarily in combat, just travelling somewhere with a big fleet (just to show how grand everything is etc)
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 17:50   #33
bell

bell is an unknown quantity at this point

I gthink a nice flash landing page much like Ogame or Eve is a must. The current homepage is like every other amatuer website out there, basically a php portal style thing.
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 17:52   #34
bell

bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Having said that above, had a look at the blog and the design there is a massive improvement.
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 04:34   #35
Makhil

Future PA ?
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 06:25   #36
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the idea of characters is a good one.

In civ2 you have your "advisers" and they tell you about different aspects of the game (Science Adviser, Military Adviser, etc). You could get the same here; they could give you advice on what they think you should do - obviously there'd be clashes of opinions which you'd have to decide. This could help newbies get used to the game.

Then there's the other route of perhaps "Pilot Heroes" where you get given some particularly charismatic and talented pilots - you could perhaps send them on certain runs and get an xx% increase in stats. However if you send that pilot and they crash and burn, then you lose them forever (or until a new one is trained in xx ticks).
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 06:26   #37
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
Who made those?
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 08:53   #38
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
Who made those?
Damn!!!

Hire That Guy!

Redesign blog = Huge step in the right direction, Good Job

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 15:21   #39
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
I think the idea of characters is a good one.

In civ2 you have your "advisers" and they tell you about different aspects of the game (Science Adviser, Military Adviser, etc). You could get the same here; they could give you advice on what they think you should do - obviously there'd be clashes of opinions which you'd have to decide. This could help newbies get used to the game.

Then there's the other route of perhaps "Pilot Heroes" where you get given some particularly charismatic and talented pilots - you could perhaps send them on certain runs and get an xx% increase in stats. However if you send that pilot and they crash and burn, then you lose them forever (or until a new one is trained in xx ticks).

ooo just what we need, to copy other games

Unread 26 Apr 2009, 15:23   #40
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
very constructive...

i loled anyhow

Unread 26 Apr 2009, 17:16   #41
Onim
the inquisition incarnate

Onim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to all

Quote:
Iirc the creators of planetarion were highly inspired on Starcraft (the still superb game which esp spinner loved a lot) , and also a bit by Elite and Starwars (reference to an earlier post by Kenny) ; so we're somewhat copies ourself. And face it, nothing is 'original' anymore, esp when it comes to games. Nothing bad about taking things from other places as long as you dont copy it exactly and change it a bit to make it fit just as well into ur own game (or better)
I very much like the advisor thing, but i wouldnt make it screenfilling , just a small window in top right corner where 2 different advisors 'war' it out giving a few beginner-tips from diff point of view.

Still i feel shipdesign needs to be prioritised more. The old tarantula pic makes me feel all warm again, bringing back memories! Its what graphics can do; and it shows the importance of it as well, no need to make this game graph based, the strength lies in its simplicity but at least have 1 pic of every ship ppl can buy.

"It never hurts to Help!" [Eek the Cat]

Denying existence during r3-6 and back in denial since r22
Onim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 18:24   #42
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onim View Post
And face it, nothing is 'original' anymore, esp when it comes to games.
so imagine if we did something original? imagine how other games in the future could be blamed for copying Planetarion. All i'm saying is how about coming up with something new and shiny, as opposed to dusty used ideas which have been used since the early 90's

Unread 26 Apr 2009, 22:07   #43
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Wow finally some steps in this direction.

I always wondered what keeps the Pa Team, who actually have the members PAY for their game /which still looks kinda crappy from getting some decent gfx, which will bring more players to this universe..

look ogame for example, pretty much the same, doesnt cost u anything, cause its free, and there is like a video preview:

http://ogame.de/

klick the play button for the trailer and on the left side "Bilder" for ingame screens

and small pics for ships/researchs and constructions, which is so easy doable, and you can kinda design the look of your plantes. All are small for the game itself useless gimmicks, but the game is more fun with more people, and I am pretty shure that great graphics and design will get a us a way higher playernumber.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 22:36   #44
Tomkat

Quote:
Yeah because I'm sure Sid Meir would have something to say. After all, civ2 and PA are so very similar to each other
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 23:10   #45
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Yeah because I'm sure Sid Meir would have something to say. After all, civ2 and PA are so very similar to each other
well it will be if we add all these character advisers you're talking about, we already have our races, and we start our planets from scratch, adding characters to a space game just doesn't seem worth it. It's a space warfare game, pictures of shiny spaceships and crater ridden asteroids are all that's needed.

Unread 27 Apr 2009, 12:28   #46
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
i'd reccomend sitting down with mrlobster
/me hugs gz

I have been away for a month and bit due to moving house, and finally getting internet working, but I'm back and willing to help out again.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 13:17   #47
FaithRaven

FaithRaven is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Wow finally some steps in this direction.

I always wondered what keeps the Pa Team, who actually have the members PAY for their game /which still looks kinda crappy from getting some decent gfx, which will bring more players to this universe..

look ogame for example, pretty much the same, doesnt cost u anything, cause its free, and there is like a video preview:

ogame.de

klick the play button for the trailer and on the left side "Bilder" for ingame screens

and small pics for ships/researchs and constructions, which is so easy doable, and you can kinda design the look of your plantes. All are small for the game itself useless gimmicks, but the game is more fun with more people, and I am pretty shure that great graphics and design will get a us a way higher playernumber.
While the homepage of that game looks neat, the ingame design is horrible at both look and usability.

Of course that round 31 design is far far away from what we should have but I find it the best design PA currently has so I would like to congratulate blueemu for being on the right track.
FaithRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 09:49   #48
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Also spotted this similar game in a banner on a site i frequent

http://www.astroempires.com/

Unread 28 Apr 2009, 11:31   #49
Considence

Considence has a spectacular aura aboutConsidence has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Also spotted this similar game in a banner on a site i frequent

http://www.astroempires.com/
Shameless plugging!
Considence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2009, 14:14   #50
blueemu

Hi everyone

Sorry for the lack of updates been a bit pre occupied.

just posted the latest version. plndesign.blogspot.com

Firstly Id like to thank Tandy for the amazing 3d artwork and everyone else who sent me stuff.

The current design is going really well and were hoping to launch this newer version soon.

I've decided to keep the logo as is for now as I'm quite happy with how it works with the current design.

Hopefully ill get some time for the main game soon as layout and especilly text colour were a big issue. Once that gets going there will be an oportunity to create lots of graphics for ships/factories etc.