User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Mar 2004, 18:52   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Cyclic Redundency Check

Hello,

Copying a Access file off a CD and I got the error message of a Cyclic Redundency Check

What the f*** is that?!

Thanks

Dan

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2004, 19:24   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Cyclic Redundency Check

CRC is an algorithm that ensures the integrity of your files. Apparently the CD can't be read properly. Look for scratches, try to clean it. Maybe try a different CD-drive (or a writer). Which OS do you use, where did the message appear (did you use zip? Was it Access itself?)
Unread 23 Mar 2004, 21:32   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Cyclic Redundency Check

Let me guess - not by any chance a divx (backed up from a dvd you own, obviously)?
If there's one way to expose any problems with a CD it's writing one single file onto it that fills the whole disc - one scratch out of place, the data can't be read, CRC fails, and you can't get the file off the damn thing.
Unread 23 Mar 2004, 23:53   #4
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Doesn't CRC just say the data is "bad"? I.e. it can be read, but the result is NOT what it was meant to be?

There must be a way to copy a single large file back to HDD... If not in windows explorer, maybe a (lowlevel)tool? Then just a sector / cluster of the file would be damaged...

And DivXFix can help maybe.

Also: CD-Rs Mode 1 DO have error correction, don't they? (700 MB usable, 100MB error correction stuff).
Unread 24 Mar 2004, 00:06   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah CRC does just mean it's bad, but there's something about the way windows reads from CDs that makes the CRC fail if it can't read the disc - probably another dodgy ms implimentation of something.
Unread 24 Mar 2004, 08:35   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm wondering... does fopen() do a CRC check before opening the file?
Unread 24 Mar 2004, 11:40   #7
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Yeah CRC does just mean it's bad, but there's something about the way windows reads from CDs that makes the CRC fail if it can't read the disc - probably another dodgy ms implimentation of something.
Yeah, just like Winzip aborts all uncompressing when a CRC error is found, instead of restoring as much information as possible. Oh it's all so shit and unprofessional in this world sometimes :-/
Unread 24 Mar 2004, 16:16   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

CRC also occurs with a bad burn, or some n00b forcing a higher write speed onto crap media
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Apr 2004, 08:56   #9
JetLinus

Shit no I got the same problem... An SVCD can't be read. I tried to copy the MPEG2 file from it...
Ironically we actually DO own the license, but it's convenient to use the SVCD-version instead of ripping the DVD all over again. (It's no joke, we are allowed to use 10minutes from it!!! )

Anyway, get a CRC error as well... Tried to clean the CD, use other drives... Any ideas?
It's a Mode-2-CD btw (SVCD as I said), so no error correction :-/
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 12:16   #10
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
CRC also occurs with a bad burn, or some n00b forcing a higher write speed onto crap media
did that way back, no problems tough. Burning @ 32x with an 8 speed disc without trouble later, the second disc i burned didn't go so well, but only because my computer crashed.
like i said, i know better now (not to mention i've only got 52x discs and a 32x writer)

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 12:59   #11
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I'm wondering... does fopen() do a CRC check before opening the file?
What checksum would it test against?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote