User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Jan 2020, 12:21   #1
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
New Planetarion Skin (sort of)

The last time I played Planetarion must have been about 12–15 years ago when I was young. I am not sure what monitor I was using at the time, but it must have been some glorious 1024×768 miracle of technology that displayed Planetarion in all its luster. These days, I am old (not as old as Dead_Meat, of course) and have a pretty sizeable screen with a high resolution in front of me. So when I signed up for Planetarion Round 85 for shits and giggles, I saw all the tiny lettering and minuscule boxes and thought to myself "oh, hell no".

So I have thrown together a quick new stylesheet that turns Planetarion into a marvel of modern website technology. Or at least, it makes letters bigger and adds some colour, so that it looks decent enough to actually play again in the year of our lord 2020.

As I created this in the last stages of the previous round and the current round awaiting its start, it is probably not 100% finished. There may be some messages, boxes, or areas that I have not (yet) seen or not had access to that may not be correctly styled. I have not had any incoming or defense yet, for example, which I am led to believe is a pretty important part of the game.

However, I think it is pretty complete from everything that I have seen thus far, so I am happy to share it with the community (all remaining five of you) and see if there is any feedback or areas that I have missed updating.

Edit: UltimateNewbie is now also helping. We are (well, mostly he did the work) creating an SCSS version of the whole thing for easier updating, and he has also added a number of good ideas. A new joint version should be up soonish!

Jeez, stop talking and give it to me already.
That's what she said. Okay, okay, the instructions.
  • Get an extension for your browser that allows you to set user stylesheets.
    Personally, I use 'User Javascript and CSS' for Chrome (shoutout to my Vivaldi homies), but there quite a few others out there for at least Chrome and Firefox, such as Stylus, Restyle, and so on. Search Mozilla Addons or the Chrome Web Store for 'User CSS' and you should find something.
  • Set Planetarion to the Round 32 skin
    This stylesheet specifically overrides/adds onto the Round 32 skin, as that seems to be the most commonly used and default one. Other skins in the game may introduce alternative styling that ends up breaking this particular stylesheet.
  • Add a user stylesheet for game.planetarion.com and copy/paste the contents of one of the stylesheets linked below into it.
    Do this according to the instructions of your chosen extension. Usually it is just a matter of pressing the extension button while you are somewhere on game.planetarion.com (could be the login page, the game, or the manual, for example).
  • Optional, but recommended: install 'Ubuntu' font.
    I designed this layout using the Ubuntu font, which is available under an open license from Google Fonts. Click the '1 Family Selected' popup thing in the bottom right, and use the download button at the top right to download the fonts. Then install them to see the new Planetarion layout in all its glory.

Where are the goods and what does it look like?
You can find the new stylesheet below, along with a couple of screenshots. Due to the use of CSS variables, it is actually pretty easy to customise the colours and pretty simple to create alternate colour schemes, even if you do not know much about CSS. Just edit the list of colour values at the top to modify the colour scheme if you prefer Planetarion in purple. I have already created an alternative dark layout based on the Round 8–9 colours (as played during the time of the extinction of the dinosaurs).

Current version: 0.8b (25 Jan 2020)

*** IMPORTANT ***
UltimateNewbie has put a lot of work into continuing work on the dark skin, and it's an absolute work of art: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Fr...ist/styles.css. Highly recommend this version.

Frequently Asked Questions
Just kidding, no one has asked me any of this even once, let alone frequently.
  • Is this safe?
    The only thing the CSS code does is change what Planetarion looks like on your computer. The code is also entirely open and available for you or anyone with some CSS knowledge to read through and check. It's a bit messy, but so is Planetarion's HTML. I might still clean it up a bit later on, but there's some wacky overrides needed in some cases.
  • Is this responsive and mobile-friendly?
    It is a little bit responsive, in that most of the fixed-width stuff is gone and within a certain range, the layout adapts to the viewport as best as possible. Some stuff like the battle calc remains fixed-width, however.

As there are not really any mobile browsers that (easily) allow you to set custom user CSS, I guess that this solution is pretty much out of the window for playing PA on your mobile, though.
  • Who do I blame if I have incoming, but don't see it because this stylesheet has made it invisible?
    When in doubt, always blame Minty. Also, do let me know and I will personally come test it for you with my Astropods.

Last edited by Leshy; 22 Jun 2020 at 00:04. Reason: Adding link to UltimateNewbie's version, which is totally amazeballs.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2020, 23:06   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: New Planetarion Skin (sort of)

Looks grand!
Unread 6 Jan 2020, 12:03   #3
Cowkimon

Cowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura about

Thank you Leshy for these modern skins. The light skin is definitely more passable than olde r32 skin for work procrastination
Cowkimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2020, 09:50   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On Firefox, I recommend Stylus for user styling. I strongly recommend against Stylish, which used to be great, but now contains spyware.

For people who are lazy and just want everything to be bigger, all modern browsers support zooming. Ctrl + scroll wheel should do the trick. It should also remember your zoom level when you close/reopen PA.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 7 Jan 2020 at 09:51. Reason: 8500
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2020, 21:56   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowkimon View Post
The light skin is definitely more passable than olde r32 skin for work procrastination
Haha, that was not the intention, but good luck with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I strongly recommend against Stylish, which used to be great, but now contains spyware.
Good to know, I wasn't aware. Will modify the original post to not list that one.
Unread 9 Jan 2020, 23:44   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Updated the stylesheets with a couple of stylings for things that I had not come across yet!
Unread 11 Jan 2020, 13:06   #7
Cowkimon

Cowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura about

Bug: Galaxy page doesn't display gal coordinates in those boxes next to 'View' button
Unread 12 Jan 2020, 13:34   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Odd, they really should. I have added an extra rule to make sure they have the correct text colour now, however.

Also added a bunch of other improvements now that fleets are flying and I have been able to see most of the incoming and defence pages in action.
Unread 12 Jan 2020, 20:53   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Leshy, how much do browsers still vary in their layout engines? Do you still have to tailor your CSS to each engine, like in the bad old days?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2020, 21:16   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

There is not so much variation in engines anymore as there was 15–20 years ago. There are only a few rendering engines left (mostly Blink, Gecko, and WebKit) and Blink has by far the biggest market share of those.

All of these have very good standards support, they just sometimes differ in the adoption of new features or implementation of non-finalised specs. You tend to only really run into that when you want to use cutting-edge new features, though.
Unread 14 Jan 2020, 15:03   #11
Cowkimon

Thanks for the update. I still found the galaxy numbers were not displayed. I am using Stylus for Firefox.

Eventually found the bit

input, .input, textarea, select, .checkbox {
font-family: "Ubuntu", "Lato", "Open Sans", sans-serif;
background-color: var(--col-background);
border: 1px solid var(--col-accent-light);
color: var(--col-text-main);
font-size: 1rem;
height: 1.5rem;
}

setting [height: 3rem;] seemed to fix the problem for me. This affects all input fields though and changes height of a bunch of other things that worked, so probably isn't the correct place to tweak.

Last edited by Cowkimon; 14 Jan 2020 at 15:15.
Unread 14 Jan 2020, 23:06   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Found the issue. It worked fine in Chrome, but did indeed cause the issue in Firefox.

The modification you're looking for will be as follows:
Code:
#page_galaxy input[type="number"] {
  padding: 0.25rem !important;
  vertical-align: 1px;
  min-width: 3rem;
  height: 1.8rem;
  color: var(--col-text-main);
}
It's in the files linked above now, with a few other very minor fixes.
Unread 24 Mar 2020, 02:43   #13
UltimateNewbie

UltimateNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

for anyone loving Leshy's dark theme, I've heavily edited and an altered version can be found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Fr...ist/styles.css
The above code should be used in conjunction to the R32 skin to make it work (very important).

Thanks to Leshy for the original arrangement of the items and for the ongoing inspiration (and the realisation that this was even possible!).

As with other addon CSS, you'll need a browser extension to add the above code. If you'd like to use it on mobile, try the Yandex browser - it's based on Chromium and allows extensions.
Do give any feedback if you see broken stuff, would love to get anyones input - there's also a TG channel for those wanting to give live feedback / suggestions (or my TG handle is @UltimateNewbie if you want to chat directly).

Last edited by UltimateNewbie; 24 Mar 2020 at 03:36.
UltimateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2020, 00:05   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Just responding quickly to state my love – in addition to slight arousal – for UltimateNewbie's version.
Unread 9 Jul 2020, 23:21   #15
Roger06

Roger06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateNewbie View Post
for anyone loving Leshy's dark theme, I've heavily edited and an altered version can be found here:

The above code should be used in conjunction to the R32 skin to make it work (very important).

Thanks to Leshy for the original arrangement of the items and for the ongoing inspiration (and the realisation that this was even possible!).

As with other addon CSS, you'll need a browser extension to add the above code. If you'd like to use it on mobile, try the Yandex browser - it's based on Chromium and allows extensions.
Do give any feedback if you see broken stuff, would love to get anyones input - there's also a for those wanting to give live feedback / suggestions (or my TG handle is @UltimateNewbie if you want to chat directly).
love that
Roger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2020, 23:37   #16
UltimateNewbie

UltimateNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy View Post
Just responding quickly to state my love – in addition to slight arousal – for UltimateNewbie's version.
You sir are the original, I merely continued the torch for what you dared to dream!
UltimateNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote